Pages:
Author

Topic: How will this change the world of mining?? GTX 1080 / 1070 - page 26. (Read 134091 times)

Activity: 242
Merit: 250
A guy has test the GTX 1070 on Linux.
22 MH/s @stock for <100W
up to 31 MH/s with power tuning for < 150W
http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7722/gtx-1070-fe-mining-benchmarks

31 MH/s for 150W is fairy good. My R9 390 is 27.5 MH/s for 160W. But that is too expensive at the moment.
Activity: 789
Merit: 501
A guy has test the GTX 1070 on Linux.
22 MH/s @stock for <100W
up to 31 MH/s with power tuning for < 150W
http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7722/gtx-1070-fe-mining-benchmarks
Activity: 312
LTC fan 4ever
undervolting is still possible without a mod, with amd, just use msi, dunno why nvidia do not have this, i guess there is another good software that let you undervolt with nvidia

maybe nvidia inspector

PrecisionX - if it works on non-EVGA cards.

Doesn't allow undervolting on ALL EVGA cards though - seems like the BIOS sets limits on which can and which can't.

I tried to use PrecisionX. But it does not allow non EVGA cards. So I do not use it, I only use the MSI afterburner or Trixx.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
undervolting is still possible without a mod, with amd, just use msi, dunno why nvidia do not have this, i guess there is another good software that let you undervolt with nvidia

maybe nvidia inspector

PrecisionX - if it works on non-EVGA cards.

Doesn't allow undervolting on ALL EVGA cards though - seems like the BIOS sets limits on which can and which can't.

Activity: 309
Merit: 118
I do expect the rate of diff increases to slow eventually as more folks get to "unprofitable" on some of their rigs and point them at other things, and folks start realising they aren't going to be able to make anything on new builds in most areas.

I hope so. But the rate of the difficulty increase has not slowed. It is still increasing fast due to the high Etheruem price.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
Results from the cryptomining-blog:

Etherum is doing 1-5MHASH on the gtx 1080. The only way to push it up to 23MHASH is to use linux or hack the driver..

If there will be an early release of the driver supporting WDDM 2.1 for win 10 insider preview - I will let you know, it is possible
As for win 7/8 - the driver is in the works - but its more complicated - might need an effort from devs to change code of an app
sp_
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1087
Team Black developer
Results from the cryptomining-blog:

Etherum is doing 1-5MHASH on the gtx 1080. The only way to push it up to 23MHASH is to use linux or hack the driver..
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070

maybe nvidia inspector
legendary
undervolting is also the same it limit how much voltage the card will use, which mean indirectly limit the current that the gpu can use

the difference is that you can be more precise, with undervolting

Undervolt is NOT THE SAME.

Chips as a general rule are more EFFICIENT at lower voltages, as long as they can do the work at all.

Take a good look at the spec sheet on the BM1385 sometimes, for a prime example with actual numbers.

Ability to mine ETH for a profit has a few variables involved - MH/Watt of your SYSTEM, cost of electric, diff, etc - it's not a given that everyone will be able to mine it profitably for a year, in fact it's looking like it might achieve UNprofitable for most folks well before the end of the year (those in VERY VERY cheap electric areas have a lot more leeway).

I do expect the rate of diff increases to slow eventually as more folks get to "unprofitable" on some of their rigs and point them at other things, and folks start realising they aren't going to be able to make anything on new builds in most areas.

Oh, and the final verdict on the 1070/1080 for ETH is "not a lot of effect, too much money for the efficiency and hashrate" - but the jury is still out on other stuff - FoldCoin in particular can probably benefit a lot from the 1080 and somewhat less from the 1070 for example.

Activity: 693
Merit: 508
I just saw the 1070 price is £400 in UK.  I will keep on using my R9 390. That is price is too high for me.
Activity: 294
undervolting is also the same it limit how much voltage the card will use, which mean indirectly limit the current that the gpu can use

I like undervolt myself, I can control the voltage precisely. Power limiting is not so accurate, and have less control.
legendary

Activity: 308
We will have about  one year to mine the Etheruem. So if we cannot ROI in  6 months, it is better to buy the coin instead.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
Adjusting the TDP doesn't undervolt the card, it limits how much current the card can draw and MIGHT in extreme cases limit the "boost" voltage the card can rise to. Has very little to no effect on the efficiency of the card, UNLIKE undervolting.

It works very good on my cards, though.
It can raise efficiency by at least 30%.
legendary

As for the bios mod for 1070/1080 - why whould you need one if you can downvolt with the same effect as say nano but without bios modding - and there is a bios modding for nv - we just dont need to use it as it just makes permanent what can be done with MSI afterburner temporary

Don't ASSUME everyone uses Windows to mine on.

The one serious disadvantage to mining on LINUX is that the tools available are more primitive AND MORE LIMITED - there's no "undervolt" available in any LINUX configuration tool I've seen, NVidia OR AMD - though I have read somewhere that there used to be a tool (limited to what we classify now as OLD AMD cards) that could do so on certain specific AMD GPU chip versions.

Adjusting the TDP doesn't undervolt the card, it limits how much current the card can draw and MIGHT in extreme cases limit the "boost" voltage the card can rise to. Has very little to no effect on the efficiency of the card, UNLIKE undervolting.

If the RX 480 had shown up a couple months sooner, and if it's a good ETH miner, it WOULD have had the chance to make substantially more profit. Do keep in mind that Ethereum has a limited mining lifespan, even if it's still profitable while POW it eventually will be going POS at which point there will be no mining of it.

also how come nvidia can not be bios modded, i find this strange

Too new, folks need to figure out HOW to mod them - and if it's worthwhile to do so.

RX 480 should be interesting - too bad it didn't show up a couple months sooner, if it turns out to be a good Ethereum performer.

45 mhs lyrarev2 whit the new optimized ccminer?

Yes new optimized miner for 1080 and lyrarev2

As for the bios mod for 1070/1080 - why whould you need one if you can downvolt with the same effect as say nano but without bios modding - and there is a bios modding for nv - we just dont need to use it as it just makes permanent what can be done with MSI afterburner temporary
and since its so low voltage I want to experiment and test how many 1070 there will be in win 10 with pcie port extender - I'm aiming for at least 8 per rig (with one 1600w psu - for other algos)

why 1600w? if it's true that they consume 100w each even with 8 1kw is enough, other component don't surpass 50w
Well - I might try 10 with win 10 or linux and for the other algos there might be more power needed
legendary

Too new, folks need to figure out HOW to mod them - and if it's worthwhile to do so.

RX 480 should be interesting - too bad it didn't show up a couple months sooner, if it turns out to be a good Ethereum performer.

and since its so low voltage I want to experiment and test how many 1070 there will be in win 10 with pcie port extender - I'm aiming for at least 8 per rig (with one 1600w psu - for other algos)

why 1600w? if it's true that they consume 100w each even with 8 1kw is enough, other component don't surpass 50w
sp_
legendary
Team Black developer

You can use the nvidia-smi tool to adjust the tdp of the card. No need to do a rom edit.
sp_
legendary
Team Black developer
My sp-mod private #7 is mining lyra2v2 at 37mhash@1275 core clock(980ti) 42 mhash with overclocking.

Pages:
Jump to: