Pages:
Author

Topic: I was hacked (1170btc stolen) - 500btc max BOUNTY - page 3. (Read 35618 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
did not read all the 25 pages..............was anyone able to find him?
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
If they knew it comes from stealing, then trueley this is owned by someone else. and must be returned.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0

I find it disturbing the words 'dropbox' and 'secure' are being used in the same sentence.

lol...me too....I am the one that did it!

But seriously, Klee is a perfect example of this....Klee has shown through the process of pursuit of the hacker that he is no dummy and definitely possesses a lot of common sense...yet he choose to secure his bitcoins through dropbox (there, i did it again lol)....just goes to show that people in their daily lives just don't think about the consequences that something could incur... I'm sure Klee never dreamed anything like this would happen yet it did...

But it doesn't mean Klee is stupid and that he deserved the coins to get jacked, just means he made an error....its something us humanas do from time to time...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
I still feel, we need to support Klee in every way we can, because WE might be the next victim, and then we will need the same support from this community.

I'm finding it difficult to muster up sympathy on this one. Klee wasn't tricked or scammed, he left the gold on the windowsill, in plain view, window wide open for anyone to take. Which they did.

That's like saying that a girl that wears a dress invites rapists, so its not the rapist's fault if they rape her. It's insane...

Klee didn't TWEET out his private key, he kept it secure in a dropbox that only he had a password to...Not the best security practice but not worthy of being stolen from...

No I never suggested theft was justified at all. Theft is theft, nobody is disputing that.

I find it disturbing the words 'dropbox' and 'secure' are being used in the same sentence.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Is there a way to make one of the postings here sticky so it is seen on every page?

I think it would help if such a post had the current details: All of the addresses and tx, all of the details that were found out so far (the godaddy address if there is still a chance of connection). That way new visitors can see what's going on - don't have to ask for repetitions of what happened (or read 25 pages of discussions) - and rather take action.

Find it a bit sad that this is going into a basically unrelated question - instead of going and helping Klee find this guy.
It's pretty clear by now this was not an expert - and he had reasons to be scared, so there is something out there to get him ... oh and frickin 500 BTC in the process.
Activity: 336
Hopefully some ip addresses come up some where on this guy....
As far as mixers,

mixers are not money laundering schemes by default...they are set up to provide autonomy and privacy and have many legal and reasonable reasons to be used....Not all government laws are justified and thus concealing the source of your money, whether from unjust individuals, entities, or government agencies is something everyone should have protection from...So I have no issue with mixers...

But someone who facilitates the commission of a theft, by helping the thief in any way, is guilty of conspiring with the theft...And thats what bitmixer.io is guilty of and that is where mixers go from operating legally to illegally...

Bitmixer admitted that the coins were used by the hacker, and then said that they refused to turn over any logbooks or information about knowing that fact...They didn't just say "we don't have any records anymore", they went further then that by saying that "they would never turn over the records of any client, even in this situation"...

that is admitting that you would be willing to conceal the source of a crime, even if you knew it was taking place and you were party to it...That's illegal, and that is prima facia evidence towards the mindset of bitmixer.io's and how they run their business....

Mixers are fine, but bitmixer.io participated in a crime...and nobody on this forum should endorse that, because this type of criminal activity puts your own coins at risk...not from being stolen but from being devalued...

We always complain the bitcoin security is one of biggest hurdles to adoption, and standing behind a company that helps facilitate that, is hurting your own pocketbook by slowing down the process of mass adoption of bitcoin....
I still feel, we need to support Klee in every way we can, because WE might be the next victim, and then we will need the same support from this community.

I'm finding it difficult to muster up sympathy on this one. Klee wasn't tricked or scammed, he left the gold on the windowsill, in plain view, window wide open for anyone to take. Which they did.

That's like saying that a girl that wears a dress invites rapists, so its not the rapist's fault if they rape her. It's insane...

Klee didn't TWEET out his private key, he kept it secure in a dropbox that only he had a password to...Not the best security practice but not worthy of being stolen from...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
Imo If the money obtained from criminal actions, needed to be "Cleaned" and put back in circulation, it is in definition "Money laundering" {Why would he want to use a service to "clean" the money in the first place? {Because HE/SHE/THEY cannot use it, in it's current form} Without it being traced or followed.

Is the "Mixer" service liable? {I cannot speak for other countries, but in my country, if a service is used, for criminal intent, the service provider needs to supply information to the authorities, to enable them to get to those criminals} If they do not supply that information or willingly refrain from doing it, they are assisting in the crime}

Example : By law {In my country} ISP's need to keep records of traffic going through their service, if they do not keep records, or backups, their doors are closed.

I sometimes wonder, if people will still have the same opinion, if they were in Klee's shoes. {If they lost all that money to a hacker}

Do I agree with all these laws, well it debatable. {Privacy VS Protection} Depends on what you need the most. 

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
What I learned from this thread
Do not mess with Klee unless your good enough to hide them from him and the forum  Grin
Activity: 462
"An honest mixer"  Huh Surely an oxymoron.

Can't think of any reason other than illegal that would require coins to be mixed. But am prepared to be educated otherwise.

And there are tons of "free" mixers, altcoin exchangers , gambling sites, you can deposit there and withdraw, even better you can buy altcoin and sell it in other exchange, if you do this with amounts of 1 btc or less do you think the exchange will bring personal data outside only because someone claimed those bitcoins are theirs?
You can deposit the btcs in the ripple network and withdraw them. Creativity im not lacking.

And this are not ideas for hackers, but to protect our privacy.

Ontopic, in any case this hacker needs punishment, with a forensic investigation he surely left behind some trail.
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
"An honest mixer"  Huh Surely an oxymoron.

Can't think of any reason other than illegal that would require coins to be mixed. But am prepared to be educated otherwise.

I bought some silver with bitcoin once. Absolutely nothing illegal about the deal but I mixed it. I just wanted to preserve my privacy. Who knows what sort of crazy shit the government will come up with some day. Better to be safe than sorry.

That's right. Don't make the mistake of falling into the "I have nothing to hide" category and slowly allowing your privacy to be stripped away.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

I bought some silver with bitcoin once. Absolutely nothing illegal about the deal but I mixed it. I just wanted to preserve my privacy. Who knows what sort of crazy shit the government will come up with some day. Better to be safe than sorry.
Activity: 156
Merit: 10

Activity: 462
Money laundering is never a crime. They made it a "crime" because they are too bad at catching people for real crimes such as theft.

The law defines what's "crime".  Money laundering is a crime in most countries. You can argue all you want "you made it crime because you are not good at catching people" in the court, all you want, but that kind of defense won't stand a chance.
Using a bitcoin mixer the way that the OP's attacker did was not laundering the bitcoin, but rather trading his bitcoin for other bitcoin that is unlinked to the coins that were put in.

Money laundering is when you mask the source of income to make it look legit when the income was truly obtained from illegal sources. One example of this would be someone owns one of those laundry shops would deposit a bunch of money in the laundry machines to make it look like more people used their services then really did, the money that was deposited was from some illegal activity. (no pun intended on the "laundry")

Yeah i think most people missed this one, mixing bitcoins is only that ; a mix. I dont think someone has invented a law against mixing Cheesy

Money laundering is used in fiat world not bitcoin world, how the hell someone wil be charged with that if 80 percent of bitcoiners dont pay taxes, in other words, everybody would need to be obligated to declare the source of bitcoins before someone can be chaged with bitcoin laundering, currently everybody is owning no mans money.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
Using a bitcoin mixer the way that the OP's attacker did was not laundering the bitcoin, but rather trading his bitcoin for other bitcoin that is unlinked to the coins that were put in. [ ... ]

Money laundering is when you mask the source of income to make it look legit when the income was truly obtained from illegal sources. [ ... ]
Well, that goes against all I thought I knew.  Or, rather, both sentences describe money launderins, only that one is the process, the other is the goal.

AFAIK, money laundering is indeed exchanging "dirty" money, that came from illegal activities (in this case, theft), for "clean" money, that (hopefully) cannot be linked to the dirty one, and appears to have come from legitimate sources.
Activity: 406
Money laundering is never a crime. They made it a "crime" because they are too bad at catching people for real crimes such as theft.

The law defines what's "crime".  Money laundering is a crime in most countries. You can argue all you want "you made it crime because you are not good at catching people" in the court, all you want, but that kind of defense won't stand a chance.
Using a bitcoin mixer the way that the OP's attacker did was not laundering the bitcoin, but rather trading his bitcoin for other bitcoin that is unlinked to the coins that were put in.

Money laundering is when you mask the source of income to make it look legit when the income was truly obtained from illegal sources. One example of this would be someone owns one of those laundry shops would deposit a bunch of money in the laundry machines to make it look like more people used their services then really did, the money that was deposited was from some illegal activity. (no pun intended on the "laundry")
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
According to the US IRS, bitcoin is not currency or money. It is an asset.
But according to fincen it is something else and according to the judge in the Trendon Shavers trial it is something else.

The IRS does not rule for the entire US goobermint.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
According to the US, bitcoin is not currency or money. It is an asset.
But that does not matter. AML enforcement agencies are not that dumb; they undrstand that one way to launder money is to convert it to other assets, like gold, stocks, art, boats, real estate, etc..
How stuff works: Money laundering basics
Pages:
Jump to: