Pages:
Author

Topic: I was hacked (1170btc stolen) - 500btc max BOUNTY - page 4. (Read 35618 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
So are you saying that bitmixer has to be aware of "stolen bitcoins" why the hell does he need to care where the bitcoins are coming from?,

Absolutely. He is dealing with money, and stolen money. He needs to keep a record. If not, he he would be liable both criminally and civil lawsuit.  bitmixer should  hope that he isn't in the US. If he was, he would get in trouble (serious trouble) someday. Eve if he isn't in the US, his funds/ personal bank accounts can be frozen by the US govt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_Laundering_Control_Act

According to the US, bitcoin is not currency or money. It is an asset.
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
I don think bitmixer will release any info unless the department want from them

else it will just broke thier business .

I don't think anyone else would look at bitmixer any differently if they gave up those details.  They are doing the right thing in this instance.

Really? I'd certainly campaign for users to boycott them. WTF is the point of mixers if the community is going to arbitrarily decide when mixers ought to betray the trust of their customers?

This is a much bigger question than just saying, "just this one time." You are either for privacy, or against it when it doesn't suit you. Pick one. If the latter, then just denounce the very premise of mixers already.

What country is this service located? They might be legally obliged to keep a record and cooperate with the authorities. Theft of this amount of money is a felony in the US (over 10 years prison).  If they don't disclose the information and did not keep a record, they might be legally responsible both criminally and open to civil lawsuit.

Probably none of the mixers are operating from US, not even from some properly regulated EU country. So catching a mixer owner is not an easy deal. But, if they're caught, it'll be difficult for them to evade imprisonment.

Only if they knew that they were aiding and abetting some crime, and I guess the penalties for that would vary a lot by country, no clue.

I could think of a few good reasons why someone might want to use such a thing for entirely legal purposes...

bitcoind stuff is stored in ramfs on my machine, but I guess I couldnt know if it was being actively monitored or logged.  i'd think germany would have laws to prevent such a thing, w/o something akin to a search warrant
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
In any case, no one would risk using an "honest" mixer. The fact that they have a policy that enables them to, unto themselves, confiscate and redistribute deposited money based on a (quite possibly arbitrary) link to a theft, would scare any "honest" customers away. Even those uninterested in laundering money have no incentive to risk having their coins arbitrarily stolen by the "honest" mixer.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY!

YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE CLEVER?

I MADE BIG PATIENCE IN ORDER TO FOOL YOU UNTIL I HAVE YOU.

WHAT YOU STOLE (1170BTC + 10M NXT) IS ABOUT 2000BTC

I WANT 1400 1000BTC IN THE NEXT 24H.

BOUNTY WAS NEVER OVER

EDIT: Probably the NXT were dumped for about 400BTC. So he stole about 1600BTC. He returned 462. He will still have more than 100btc profit...
I am confused.

I thought that you agreed to cancel the bounty for the hacker. Did he miss one of the payments that he was going to send you?

If he did not default on one of his payments then opening the bounty back up will more likely then not get him to not make his next payment.

Another thing that I think you should consider:

Instead of offering a large bounty to get the coins back, I would suggest offering a bounty for useful information about either the hack, the hacker, or some other information that may help you get your coins back.

There have been so many posts "to" the hack and "to" bitmixer saying to simply give you your coins back and to pay the poster your 500 BTC bounty. It isn't like the hacker is going to read something that some newbie posts and will think "...oh well if this random newbie says I should do it then..."

On a more serious note, the current bounty will likely not result in you getting your coins back. If someone were to somehow steal the coins from the hacker, then they could do a)  return the coins to you minus your 43% bounty or b) keep 100% of the coins while the original hacker would still be blamed for the theft. This person would have a huge incentive to simply to "b"

If you instead offered a bounty for information, then you, yourself can put the pieces together and try to get the coins back.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
Money laundering is never a crime. They made it a "crime" because they are too bad at catching people for real crimes such as theft.

The law defines what's "crime".  Money laundering is a crime in most countries. You can argue all you want "you made it crime because you are not good at catching people" in the court, all you want, but that kind of defense won't stand a chance.

Activity: 299
And yet, you haven't responded to any of the points made.

Maybe if I post it twice, you'll read it? Highlighted in bold for emphasis

I'm just discussing an idea here, I haven't worked out all the answers and you keep asking for them.

But it seems it would not be that hard to make a mixing service that was truly about privacy and not money laundering.

What criminal would send stolen bitcoin to a service that would take those coins out of their hands entirely for 7 days? I would say none but fools.

The details could be worked out.

But it's good to see you are the kind of guy who likes to take a shit on an idea before you actually know what the idea is. You must be fun to hang out with.

Break out the ad hominem why don't you?

Before I know what it is? I explained the implications of it, and you apparently refuse to accept this, though you acknowledge that you cannot support your own arguments. It's a moral issue, and we obviously have very opposing viewpoints.

In that sense, I would not be fun to hang out with for a police officer or a soldier, either. Wink
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Money laundering is never a crime. They made it a "crime" because they are too bad at catching people for real crimes such as theft.
OK, I will change my stance to:  money laundering is currently a crime in many/most countries however bitcoin mixing is not money laundering.  Good enough?
Activity: 994

I'm just discussing an idea here, I haven't worked out all the answers and you keep asking for them.

But it seems it would not be that hard to make a mixing service that was truly about privacy and not money laundering.

What criminal would send stolen bitcoin to a service that would take those coins out of their hands entirely for 7 days? I would say none but fools.

But it's good to see you are the kind of guy who likes to take a shit on an idea before you actually know what the idea is. You must be fun to hang out with.

Hey lemme get this straight. So you come up with an idea that doesn't work, argue that it should be the way things are done, even though you can't figure out how to make it work. And you are arguing.....why? Oh ya, to convince a bunch a bitcoiners that money laundering is a crime. Huh
legendary
Another way to look at it is what if we did have $10,000 bills in circulation (in Bitcoinland we do, in fiatland not so much).  But if someone did present you with at $10,000 bill would making change without AML/KYC information be morally wrong?  I say no.  The government would, of course, say it is legally wrong but once again that is just another arbitrary law.

Found this:

Anyway that 7 day hold could be good but for only big amounts like 100 or more btcs.

That is arbitrary.  That is the kind of thing we really need to avoid at all costs.
legendary
The mixer has done nothing wrong.  The mixer is not obligated to keep customer records.  The mixer simply makes change.
This is fucking awful argument, I can't believe you and CEG5952 are still trying to convince everyone blatant money laundering is a-okay.

Please go to your local police department and tell them you accepted $750,000 in stolen cash, in marked bank notes and exchanged them for $746,000 in unmarked notes.

Tell them you knowingly partook in this money laundering operation to disguise the proceeds of crime so that it could not be traced back to the original theft.

Tell them you have done nothing wrong and have kept no records. Tell them you were just giving the thief change for a $750,000 note.

And when you get out of prison in 10 or 15 years, please tell us what it was like.

"Laundering" money is not a crime. Stealing money is a crime. Let's not lose focus on who the actual criminals are in this case.
I disagree.  Money Laundering is a crime and should be a crime.  I just do not agree with the notion that Bitcoin mixing is money laundering.  To me it is the moral equivalent of making change.  Now some have said that well maybe making change for $100 is morally OK but making change for $100,000 is not.  That is arbitrary.  Where exactly does making change become money laundering?  I am sure the government has an answer.  That does not make it right.  Arbitrary laws are just that.
Activity: 315
The mixer has done nothing wrong.  The mixer is not obligated to keep customer records.  The mixer simply makes change.
This is fucking awful argument, I can't believe you and CEG5952 are still trying to convince everyone blatant money laundering is a-okay.

Please go to your local police department and tell them you accepted $750,000 in stolen cash, in marked bank notes and exchanged them for $746,000 in unmarked notes.

Tell them you knowingly partook in this money laundering operation to disguise the proceeds of crime so that it could not be traced back to the original theft.

Tell them you have done nothing wrong and have kept no records. Tell them you were just giving the thief change for a $750,000 note.

And when you get out of prison in 10 or 15 years, please tell us what it was like.

"Laundering" money is not a crime. Stealing money is a crime. Let's not lose focus on who the actual criminals are in this case.
Activity: 462
Fungibility of bitcoins, or of dollar bills, may be a desire of their users, but it is not a legal right nor a mathematical consequence of the protocol's design.
I agree with this one point and it is a problem with the design of Bitcoin.  It should be fixed and it is one hard fork I would fully support.  It should be a mathematical consequence of the design.  Evidently this was discussed in the very early days by Satoshi himself but was tabled.  If this were the case then there would be no external mixers to worry about as there would be no need.  People would not expect to be able to track bad guys, their enemies, coworkers, family, business competitor, etc. using the "serial numbers" on their money.

This would also stop all the black/red/white/purple coin lister crowd dead in their tracks.

Yea i would support that too, i wonder why satoshi dint implement it, because i dont want to use darkcoin or another shity coin
legendary
Fungibility of bitcoins, or of dollar bills, may be a desire of their users, but it is not a legal right nor a mathematical consequence of the protocol's design.
I agree with this one point and it is a problem with the design of Bitcoin.  It should be fixed and it is one hard fork I would fully support.  It should be a mathematical consequence of the design.  Evidently this was discussed in the very early days by Satoshi himself but was tabled.  If this were the case then there would be no external mixers to worry about as there would be no need.  People would not expect to be able to track bad guys, their enemies, coworkers, family, business competitor, etc. using the "serial numbers" on their money.

This would also stop all the black/red/white/purple coin lister crowd dead in their tracks.
legendary
A mixer like that will not be succesful, and if you want all the regulation to come here you are a bit early avenger, currently the goverment only investigates bitcoin related to drugs and terrorism , no robberys, we are still a hippie community with internet monopoly money.
You mean successful as in profitable?

Success might be governments saying "Well, they have these honest mixer things, which makes sure no stolen bitcoin is laundered. Nothing for us to see here, let's go after those wall street banksters instead".
Now that is funny.  Thanks for the laugh.
A mixer like that will not be succesful, and if you want all the regulation to come here you are a bit early avenger, currently the goverment only investigates bitcoin related to drugs and terrorism , no robberys, we are still a hippie community with internet monopoly money.

Success might be governments saying "Well, they have these honest mixer things, which makes sure no stolen bitcoin is laundered. Nothing for us to see here, let's go after those wall street banksters instead".

Yeah profitable because no one will use it, they would have  a 7 days good people money backup to run away at any moment, maybe in the future it can happen.
Activity: 798
Anyway, this is all getting off topic. I return this thread to the pro-money laundering lobby. And maybe even to klee's situation with stolen bitcoin?

Activity: 299
Interesting. It seems your arguments all boil down to "other people putting words in your mouth." And yet, you haven't responded to any of the points made.

For example,

So you are only interested in having some uninterested third party make an executive decision to confiscate bitcoins from people and send them to others, based on their best judgment?

Yeah, I think there are potential legal problems with a mixer stealing coins whenever they want, and answering to nobody.
You apparently don't understand how bitcoin works, if you think that removing tainted coins from circulation accomplishes anything.
I didn't say that.

Oh? So what happens when the mixer determines that the coins may have been stolen?

Let's say the stolen coins originated at some point at an address I control. I sent them as payment for services rendered. They are then stolen from that recipient. What stops me from signing a transaction from my address, proving control, and laying claim to the coins, if the recipient reports that his coins were stolen?

Proving you control an address in the transaction tree means nothing. Hell, the coins could have been stolen FROM ME originally, but I could lay no claim until the coins were sent to the mixer. So the default owner is the person who controlled the LAST address holding the coins? Such a fail.
Pages:
Jump to: