Pages:
Author

Topic: If you die, what will happen with your coins? - page 10. (Read 4200 times)

Activity: 1078
Merit: 507
Death is simply an uninvited guest, so one should always be prepared, so that in the absence of user there is someone who can have access to the coins. In the banks, user has a appointed a nominee which can access the resources after one's death but there is no such system in Bitcoin. If there is no one in this world whom you want to give your money, then there is no need to create any backup of your keys. Your coins will be there in the system forever which cannot be used by anyone. But if you want to give you coins to someone then just write down proper method to access the coins with keys, so that in case of your death they can have access to the coins.

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Never thinking about that, yes actually no one can access my computer so how can they access my bitcoin wallet / my account on trading web ?
just let it go, you wont be able to bring that coin there.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
Interesting topic to consider. I would sell all coins for ethereum, and program some smart contract that my family gets the coins (some thought needed to specify this) when I am dead (some thought needed to specify this as well in a smart contract).
Activity: 67
Merit: 13
If (when) i will die, my wallets, passwords and other data will be available for my family. I using Google and ather services for this. All the instructions within sent documents.
On of services about this is Google "About Inactive Account Manager"
Activity: 23
My sister will get all of them. I have backups ready. Earlier she had no clue about cryptocurrency but she is learning day by day.
Activity: 4
My son will inherit my coins. That would be my last will for him. And of course, I'm gonna introduce bitcoin to him before I die.
Activity: 31
I'll just probably leave the private key stored in a text file somewhere and hopefully my wife will find it and learn how to use it, if not, it will be lost forever i think?

I can imagine people now leaving the instructions on how to get their bitcoins in their will, or probably in the near future we will have family wallets, if you die your family gets your coins or something similar.
Activity: 176
Merit: 10
“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World"
Not a bad idea indeed. But it's quite risky. What if your relatives never ever check out the usb's. I think you should give a hint about those first or you can also give them your private keys if they are so close to you.
Activity: 369
Merit: 100
Crypto and blockchain writing service
 Nothing happens to it if your family doesn't know it exists. This is why you have to let someone know about it now you're alive.
Activity: 2
Is one of my biggest concerns too. I would love to give my private keys to my mom in case that something happen to me but the problem is that I am pretty sure that she wont know how to use them Sad What I was thinking is that would be very helpful if there was something like a virtual will  ?? Roll Eyes   Just an idea   Tongue
Activity: 154
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?

Me ? i have a laptop , and my parents know what i do on internet , when i die , they will know and learn how to sell my coin  Roll Eyes
I always save my password and anything on notepad , i hope my parents will know and learn how to sell that  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?
I just hope they will search your stuff for it. Many families are so shocked by a loved one dying that they put all their stuff in a room and lock the doors. They want to keep everything untouched as a reminder. Sometimes hoping for that person to come back to all their stuff still waiting in there. There's so many stories of people finding hidden treasures in their newly bought houses.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 285
The bitcoin will remain in our wallet if nobody knows access to use it. so my advice, make a special note about the wallet, then save and just tell the person you trust the wife. in order to be taken if you suddenly die.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody
Hopefully my wife will inherit all that and put it to a good use. She's familiar with cryptos and shouldn't have a problem trading them if needed.
I'd like my family to be taken care of when I'm gone, so if BTC ever goes to some crazy prices I'll make sure it's included in my last will.
Activity: 625
All necessary details of my crypto currencies is in a safe where my brother knows, so,its just for him to get it and that's all.
Activity: 434
Did you know this web site? https://www.deadmansswitch.net/

Some people propose it at the Spanish thread.  If something happens to you it would send an email to someone you want.

This is how this works. You write a few e-mails and choose the recipients. These emails are stored privately until they're sent. Your switch will email you every so often, asking you to show that you are fine by clicking a link. If something were to... happen... to you, your switch would then send the emails you wrote to the recipients you specified. Sort of an "electronic will", one could say.

It could be a good solution
Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
If you die, and no one else knows your private key, they will be lost forever. This could mean the price for the coin would go up since each coin is limited.

I would keep your keys in cold storage in a safe place in your house. Maybe share with your family or even in your will.

They will be lost but most likely no one will know they are lost. The maximum number of Bitcoins will be 21 million but there are lost coins, some of which are known, but many lost coins no one knows about. It's hard to say how much if an impact this will have on price, but if these coins are never going to be sold, then the supply is basically lower because of it.

If you have Bitcoins that you are holding, I recommend that you leave instructions on how to recover them with your spouse or other family members. You could leave this in your will or in a safe or safe deposit box where they will find it if you die.
Activity: 18
They'd be perma frosted in the interstellar parts of the internet --> at least until someone gets a super computer that can hack private keys eh? ha This is a good though though I should tell my password to someone.... someone surely Smiley
Activity: 380
Same as regular money, if you have specific instruction about it to the person you want to receive it then that will happen to him. But if you dont have, then it will just be there in the system unlike regular money since regular money is a legal tender which is being regulated by the government.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
If they find it, they can take it.

If they don't, they don't deserve them and are better off without them.

I won't tell them or make a will giving the coins to them.
Pages:
Jump to: