Pages:
Author

Topic: If you die, what will happen with your coins? - page 9. (Read 4200 times)

Activity: 585
Merit: 251
You can store your private key in Cloud services like Dropbox or GD and write your account information on a paper and store it somewhere in bank locker, encrypt (ex. MD5) your password with an answer of question that you're sure who you want to share the data with knows. Write a will and let that person knows about your will and the private key and ask them to answer the question decrypt it and they have the password.

It seems to me that the best solution would be to pass it on to someone who knows it and does not waste it. If I had something to do with it, I would give it to my friend who knows the stuff and he would take care of my family. You need to find someone who is trustworthy.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Till now i haven't heard on the news family fighting over bitcoins XD
Write down on a paper leave, a will split all the coins to diff hardware devices and whoever is rightful will get the hardware and phasepass, seed, etc what ever is important
Simple like tradition who u gonna leave ur house to when u pass on ur bank balance ?
Activity: 434
Merit: 100
Than you very much for your responses, I'm happy because I'm not the only person who has thought about this....  Grin Grin Grin

I have read several responses and I agree with you.  We need to give our passwords (private keys) to a trusted person. But what if this persons in not very good with new technologies? So in the same way, we have to form this person, teach them how to use the keys and get the invested money.
Activity: 56
Im sure your loved ones already know you have some coins so they'll know what to do.
Activity: 7
the most important thing in the world is relations. so there are no questions what to do with your coins ... you need to immediately pass on passwords to a trusted person
Activity: 28
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?

if i die i would like to give my all coins property to my sister. so i have to reveal my passwords and data to my sister. i don't want to leave like that my money and property easily. we have to saving our coins for earning profit purpose so if i die means how can i leave it was. so i can't leave it easily. seriously i want to transfer my all property money and coins to my sister.
Activity: 469
Merit: 101
If you invest much money in coins you can make a treasure map for your wife or children which will be show how use your wallet and pay your coin. It is options from me Cheesy
Activity: 476
Merit: 22
When a person dies, he will already be like with his coins
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?

anyone cannot access your coins and it will lose forever. because no one can log in to you wallet except you are provided paper wallet which print alll if your wallet information.
Activity: 2100
Merit: 174
I would store in on a bank a flash drive (or in a paper) with all my private keys and all the instructions they might need for claiming those properties which can only be opened by my spouse or my parents.
Activity: 966
Merit: 535
Bad idea. Terrible idea. Printing it out on paper is the best way. USB sticks are flash memory and thus volatile. It's called flash memory for a reason and that is it won't hold your data over long periods of time and it's not suitable for backups and never was designed for that. USB sticks are only ment for transfering data not to store it. A USB harddrive would be a better idea. Actually as many back ups as you can make in different forms would be best. You can never have too many backups.
Activity: 32
I have given my wife instructions for how to get to the wallet if I was to pass away suddenly. Instructions are written down on paper in our house. Hopefully she won't have to, but its worth talking about.
Activity: 28
if no body know youer private key so they die with you  Undecided
Activity: 2
Merit: 100
I'll just probably leave the private key stored in a text file somewhere and hopefully my wife will find it and learn how to use it, if not, it will be lost forever i think?

I can imagine people now leaving the instructions on how to get their bitcoins in their will, or probably in the near future we will have family wallets, if you die your family gets your coins or something similar.

Maybe write the private key down so it's 'offline' and there is no risk of data breach.

Or get a 24 word recovery seed (for ledger) and keep 12 words in plain sight and store the other 12 at another mutual location... Then write in the will on how to put the two together!
Activity: 40
You can store your private key in Cloud services like Dropbox or GD and write your account information on a paper and store it somewhere in bank locker, encrypt (ex. MD5) your password with an answer of question that you're sure who you want to share the data with knows. Write a will and let that person knows about your will and the private key and ask them to answer the question decrypt it and they have the password.

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
I have heard of a recent ICO - I can not remember the name of it sorry. Perhaps with an internet search you might be able to find it. 

Anyways they had some sort of smart contract written up if a wallet address was NOT active for 3 years then the smart contract would activate and move the funds to a different wallet address.  Thus if you lost your private keys or passed away - after three years you would have your lost funds or your family would recieve the inheritance.  But of course you and your family would have to know the private keys of the address the funds where being sent to.

Not sure how it all worked but I am assuming the private keys where incrypted into the smart contract some how.

Sounds like something that would be a good idea - if it actually works.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
None else knows my passwords and about bitcoins in my family so it is almost impossible for my family members to get to know about all of my coins after death. So better me stay alive for good Smiley
Activity: 1596
Merit: 335
Hi there

Any other ideas?

I think it will stay in your wallet unless you left someone your credentials. I don’t think they have a feature where when the owner of the wallet is deceased the bitcoins are tranferrable.
Activity: 336
Merit: 106
just give your private key relatives for security or to your attyy so that if you will die he was the one to manage
Activity: 210
Merit: 112
If you die and don't leave detailed (extremely detailed - for beginners) on how to access the coins, then they are lost forever
Pages:
Jump to: