Pages:
Author

Topic: If you die, what will happen with your coins? - page 12. (Read 4200 times)

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
What will happen if you die without anyone having access to your private keys? Your bitcoin will be lost forever.

Personally, I have one brother and one sister. So just so the funds would go to a family member when I die, I'd probably give the first half of my wallet seed to my brother, and the second half of my wallet seed to my sister. The only issue with this is you definitely need to trust them to not steal you bitcoin while you're still alive.
Activity: 896
Merit: 527
₿₿₿₿₿₿₿
Ensuring your relatives have access to the private keys is a quite difficult task. While your idea is good, as others have pointed out there is no guarantee they will actually know that the USB flash drive has bitcoins.
Activity: 178
Merit: 100
Leave specific instructions is the best way to insure that your family gets access to your coins. Almost like a Will, you have to leave private key written down with directions and store it in a safe place.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
My girlfriend has the passphrase though she's still unsure as to what it really does. I'm very open to her since she's the only family I have left around me so whatever happens, she'd still receive something from me when I'm gone. We're not that rich, she can still work, but whatever happens to me, she can just recover the wallet and sell it if she wants. I'm also slowly teaching her about the coin just in case the inevitable happens too early, so I know she'd do good.
Activity: 434
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?

or you can tell them all about the information about your coins and what should they do to get that. because if anyone get lose that usb key, it will lose all your coins in out of no where. so you better to tell them mostly your family that you want you to give your coin. i think thats a great idea.
Activity: 150
Merit: 11
I suppose your coins will be frozen if there won't be anybody who know your private key. Technically it means that coin supply will be reduced = price will grow.
Activity: 473
Merit: 251
If I die soon, a trusted friend will know how to get to my coins. If I die later, I want to make a treasure hunt type of thing for my family (or whomever I decide to join) and get them to solve things in order to get the seed words.  Grin
Activity: 952
Merit: 339
invest trade and gamble wisely
If I die nothing will happen my coins. They will stay on the blockchain, just like they have always been and always will be. Same as your coins and every other of those 21 million Bitcoins.

Have you read the OP? I doubt.

BTT. OP I think what you did is great. Actually I going to do something similar Grin
Thanks for the idea.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I would say it just as with fiat money. However instead of someone being able to find it physically you will have to leave them the private key or they will not be able to recover your coins.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
If I die nothing will happen my coins. They will stay on the blockchain, just like they have always been and always will be. Same as your coins and every other of those 21 million Bitcoins.
Activity: 378
Merit: 197
So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Quite risky!
I have many usb sticks, external hd:s and some computers. I would not count on my family to actually have time to go through every usb stick they find. I certainly do not.

Why not just tell them, that you have bitcoins, and that there is a hidden USB to look for.... Or give more specific instructions.
Or store a copy in a bank safety box or something.

Nice idea to encrypt it with something that only persons who know you can access  Smiley
Activity: 826
Merit: 440
Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?
Very simple : coin owner is the private key owner.
No taxes to give yours privates keyx to the person you want : in your family... or not.
That is freedom, even after your death :-).
Activity: 434
Hi there

Any other ideas?
Pages:
Jump to: