Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm dumping Nxt and here's why you should too - page 3. (Read 21266 times)

legendary
Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000
A good argument would be citing a research article that discussed the propensity in security breaches of open source projects that had anonymous developers vs non-anonymous ones, or at minimum if you cannot cite this than at minimum cite some large long-term open source projects with anonymous developers that have better security than your average open source project with known devs.

Funny that you don't have to cite articles with scientific proof when you raise your concerns that to having known devs is better than having anon devs  Wink

All your facts are subjective at best. It's not clear how they contribute to "to have known devs is better than anon devs"

Knowing the background and politics of a developer who was a liberal statist would allow me to be more on guard

subjective. If he was not a liberal statist you would trust him and not be on guard?

the background of the developers can give us some understanding of their technical proficiency -> So does the quality of the code they write
Yes, I agree with this in a utopian fantasy developer world. Completely, ignoring reality, and my previous comments.

BULLSHIT. Code quality is the most important criterion of a dev. Nice try evading an argument.

But the best is, we have known devs, but since some of them are anon, it's all bad, right?  Wink
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
What is the question that you need to be verified. That over 60% of the code has been changed or that Satoshi's code was shit?

The latter.

Well the evidence can directly be obtained by reviewing the source code itself and the subsequent changes.

Many well versed programmers have confirmed the shortcomings of Satoshi's code so it isn't just my opinion:

http://diginomics.com/who-is-satoshi-nakamoto/

Based on analysis from other programmers who worked on the source code, it does not appear to be written by someone who is well versed in professional programming but rather has a strong academic or theoretical knowledge of cryptography.

He was the oracle to which we would go for questions about the system, but he rarely followed standard engineering practices, like writing unit or stress tests or any of the standard qualitative analysis that we’d perform on software. Several things had to be disabled almost immediately upon public release of Bitcoin because they were obviously exploitable.

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/nakamoto-what-do-we-know/

“Satoshi’s style of writing code was old-school. He used things like reverse Polish notation.”

In addition, the code was not always terribly neat, another sign that Nakamoto was not working with a team that would have cleaned up the code and streamlined it.

“Everyone who looked at his code has pretty much concluded it was a single person,” says Andresen. “We have rewritten roughly 70 percent of the code since inception. It wasn’t written with nice interfaces. It was like one big hairball. It was incredibly tight and well-written at the lower level but where functions came together it could be pretty messy.

Now we could begin to argue about the stylistic preferences with programming notation but any competent programmer who has worked collaboratively on a development project can attest to Satoshi's programming style is the exact opposite of what is desired, especially for a decentralized worldwide open source project.

It's not word games, English is not my mother tongue, maybe something was lost in translation.

Well, here is another example - Satoshi VERSUS http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/20/bank-of-england-payment-system-crashes (I can bet that BoE programmers weren't anonymous).
Google hints http://www.pcworld.com/article/2060760/healthcaregovs-enrollment-system-crashes-monday.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Entertainment_hack.

I will try and be more patient to accommodate miscommunication, but I don't think that is the problem here. Do you understand the difference between a comparative analysis and simply stating anecdotes of security breaches? Since there are strong hints and accusations of impropriety with NxT already that isn't a good example.  

A good argument would be citing a research article that discussed the propensity in security breaches of open source projects that had anonymous developers vs non-anonymous ones, or at minimum if you cannot cite this than cite some long-term open source projects with anonymous developers that have better security than your average open source project with known devs.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
What is the question that you need to be verified. That over 60% of the code has been changed or that Satoshi's code was shit?

The latter.

You are ignoring the question still, so I will rewrite it for you if you enjoy these word games:

Any data that supports this assertion? Comparative analysis of the security secure system health of code written by anonymous developers vs transparent ones?

It's not word games, English is not my mother tongue, maybe something was lost in translation.

Well, here is another example - Satoshi VERSUS http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/20/bank-of-england-payment-system-crashes (I can bet that BoE programmers weren't anonymous).
Google hints http://www.pcworld.com/article/2060760/healthcaregovs-enrollment-system-crashes-monday.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Entertainment_hack.
Now it's my turn to ask you for a proof. It's very far from being "no secret".

This was my mistake, as I mistook Luke-Jr reference for Jean-Luc, as your comment was not a valid comparative analysis and I was expecting one. I assumed you were comparing a NxT dev to a Bitcoin dev.

Second, I don't say that anonymous devs produce better code. I say that anonymous devs lead to more secure systems because their deeds are scrutinized with greater effort.

You are avoiding the question still, so I will rewrite it for you if you enjoy these word games:

Any data that supports this assertion? Comparative analysis of the security secure system health of code written by anonymous developers vs transparent ones?

legendary
It is no secret that Satoshi's code was shit despite his genius, that is why over 60% of it had to be changed.

Now it's my turn to ask you for a proof. It's very far from being "no secret".

The question is, can you provide data that shows open source projects that are written by anonymous developers tend to be more secure and bug free than open source projects written in a transparent manner? Not, Luke-Jr vs satoshi, a ridiculous statement because you are comparing 2 anonymous developers so it completely ignores the central premise of the question.

First, Luke-Jr is not anonymous. Here is some info about him - https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/868-industry-candidate-luke-dashjr/. Here is how he looks - https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/1095675?v=3&s=460.

Second, I don't say that anonymous devs produce better code. I say that anonymous devs lead to more secure systems because their deeds are scrutinized with greater effort.
Any data that supports this assertion? Comparative analysis of the security of code written by anonymous developers vs transparent ones?

Compare Satoshi's code and Luke-Jr's code.

What type of argument is that? It is no secret that Satoshi's code was shit despite his genius, that is why over 60% of it had to be changed.

The question is, can you provide data that shows open source projects that are written by anonymous developers tend to be more secure and bug free than open source projects written in a transparent manner? Not, Luke-Jr vs satoshi, a ridiculous statement because you are comparing 2 anonymous developers so it completely ignores the central premise of the question.

Any data that supports this assertion? Comparative analysis of the security of code written by anonymous developers vs transparent ones?
legendary

Compare Satoshi's code and Luke-Jr's code.
Nxt already uses TaPoS-like approach. It's called Economic Clustering.

I am aware of this and have much higher standards of security than what NxT provides.

That was the 1st step to show that known identity of a developer is a disadvantage. People start trusting him and at some point become scammed. Anonymous devs keep people suspicious and hence better protected. In short, anon devs better than non-anon ones.

We don't have to aim for the targets that you set up for us, we can also argue why "to be known" is not a prerequisite in a transparent dev process.

Your facts:

• Higher accountibilty when (=after) something goes wrong -> Does not protect you from something going wrong.
Actually, yes, repercussions can mitigate that risk .

• make better informed judgements as to the motivations of certain developers -> Motivations are not relevant, could be money, could be ideology, could be anything
Motivations certainly are more important. I.E...Knowing the background and politics of a developer who was a liberal statist would allow me to be more on guard and focus in on malicious code that would undermine the project like blacklists or reversibility.

• the background of the developers can give us some understanding of their technical proficiency -> So does the quality of the code they write
  Yes, I agree with this in a utopian fantasy developer world. Completely, ignoring reality, and my previous comments.
[/list]
legendary
A rational argument would present evidence which reflected increases in overall security weaknesses from a transparent development process to counteract my claims.

We don't have to aim for the targets that you set up for us, we can also argue why "to be known" is not a prerequisite in a transparent dev process.

Your facts:

• Higher accountibilty when (=after) something goes wrong -> Does not protect you from something going wrong.
  • make better informed judgements as to the motivations of certain developers -> Motivations are not relevant, could be money, could be ideology, could be anything
  • the background of the developers can give us some understanding of their technical proficiency -> So does the quality of the code they write
legendary
NxT isn't there yet , and you should take any valid criticism as helpful advice to strengthen your project.

Nxt already uses (not utilized fully) TaPoS-like approach. It's called Economic Clustering.
But people are afraid of change, that's why there are so many "concerns" against Nxt.

I'm advocating TaPoS to be added to Bitcoin and would turn my back on Bitcoin at a moments notice if it lost its fundamental principles or something better came along. NxT isn't there yet , and you should take any valid criticism as helpful advice to strengthen your project.
legendary
Non-sequitur, as we are discussing other security weaknesses and you are moving the goal posts.

That was the 1st step to show that known identity of a developer is a disadvantage. People start trusting him and at some point become scammed. Anonymous devs keep people suspicious and hence better protected. In short, anon devs better than non-anon ones.

I don't move goal posts, I help you to find flaws in your own logic by making to admit some points and finally become trapped. After that point you can't use tricks that are usually used to avoid admitting that you were wrong.
legendary
So if BCNext wants to pull a Satoshi that is fine but the code should be developed in a more transparent manner after he has stepped aside.

I see yet another flaw in your reasoning. You assume that a known identity helps to protect a system against scams, but history of cryptocurrencies shows the opposite. Have you even heard of Pirate@40? (And should I mention Josh Garza?)

NXT is still probably several years ahead of Bitcoin, even after 1 year has passed. The original source has been changed a lot by Jean Luc as I understand it. It is okay to give BCNext credit for his vision, though. His mark on crypto will be remembered forever.

But people are afraid of change, that's why there are so many "concerns" against Nxt.
So if BCNext wants to pull a Satoshi that is fine but the code should be developed in a more transparent manner after he has stepped aside.

I see yet another flaw in your reasoning. You assume that a known identity helps to protect a system against scams, but history of cryptocurrencies shows the opposite. Have you even heard of Pirate@40? (And should I mention Josh Garza?)

Non-sequitur, as we are discussing other security weaknesses and you are moving the goal posts.

Additionally, you are presenting a false dichotomy even after I bolded:

Having a transparent development process with known developers absolutely does not eliminate all bugs and malicious code from entering in the software,

Hint:
A rational argument would present evidence which reflected increases in overall security weaknesses from a transparent development process to counteract my claims.
legendary
Activity: 1596
I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

NXT is still probably several years ahead of Bitcoin, even after 1 year has passed. The original source has been changed a lot by Jean Luc as I understand it. It is okay to give BCNext credit for his vision, though. His mark on crypto will be remembered forever.
legendary

I don't really know why you need to know where your dev lives and how his face looks like.

They don't, but someone said that devs of a decentralized project must be not anonymous and sheeple repeats this mantra. Repeating doesn't involve brain cells as was shown in "1984".

I would agree with you in a perfect world where all the end users are capable of compiling the jar from source and could instantly scan and detect any bugs or malicious code without effort with every version.

In the real world, less than 0.1% of users will compile from source , even if they are capable and any programmer knows that thorough audits take time and don't give 100% confirmation that malicious code isn't present.

Having a transparent development process with known developers absolutely does not eliminate all bugs and malicious code from entering in the software, but what it does allow is a higher level of accountability if something does go wrong and it allows people to make better informed judgements as to the motivations of certain developers and gives preemptive clues as to what to watch out for from certain contributors to the source. Additionally, understanding the background of the developers can give us some understanding of their technical proficiency based upon other projects they have worked on.

The fact that we can research who Jeff Garzik is , and what companies he worked for in the past is very helpful in understanding his motivations and biases.

It is frightening that I have to explain this to you and anyone else reading with a critical eye should be similarity warned. Using the big bad government as an excuse to stay in the shadows is not a good enough excuse when dealing with Fintech with peoples life savings and there are plenty of other Anarchist developers that have the courage and moral fortitude to reveal themselves. I am not saying that all developers need to be transparent but with Fintech it is a completely different matter with different stakes.

legendary
NXT is not opensource, a part of the code is private....

Funny that this rule only counts for Nxt, but if a Bitcoin dev has a private repository, it doesn't count  Wink

Your phrase requires IQ above 90 to get the meaning you put into it. Next time provide a version understandable by majority of BTT users, please.
legendary
Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002
simple fact: open-source projects don't need known devs

simple fact: there's a way better chance not be the target of defamation, threat or hitmen if you stay anonymous (as a crypto dev)

simple fact: no developer commits every piece of code locally changed in real-time, ergo there is always private parts. (And with the current release cycle of Nxt I really don't see any reason to claim that there is something in hiding)
Pages:
Jump to: