Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm dumping Nxt and here's why you should too - page 4. (Read 21266 times)

legendary
Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000
NXT is not opensource, a part of the code is private....

Funny that this rule only counts for Nxt, but if a Bitcoin dev has a private repository, it doesn't count  Wink
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
Another valid criticism is the fact that most of the core devs within NxT are anonymous. Within bitcoin all the core devs are transparent and that is true for even the other stacks and implementations from even paranoid anarchists(like myself) with unsystem.

yawn, satoshi was anonymous, very valid criticism.

I don't really know why you need to know where your dev lives and how his faces looks like.

Yes, that is indeed a valid criticism of Bitcoin... at the time , except for the fact that all of his code has been peer reviewed , audited multiple times since he left and most of the code changed by known developers.

You honestly don't see why that is a valid criticism and need me to explain it to you or are you just trolling?

No I really don't see it. Nxt's source code was peer reviewd by known devs too, and by anon devs.

It's the good thing about being open source, everyone can review the code.

You still didn't tell me why "being known" matters?

NXT is not opensource, a part of the code is private....
legendary
Another valid criticism is the fact that most of the core devs within NxT are anonymous. Within bitcoin all the core devs are transparent and that is true for even the other stacks and implementations from even paranoid anarchists(like myself) with unsystem.

I don't really know why you need to know where your dev lives and how his faces looks like.

Yes, that is indeed a valid criticism of Bitcoin... at the time , except for the fact that all of his code has been peer reviewed , audited multiple times since he left and most of the code changed by known developers.

You honestly don't see why that is a valid criticism and need me to explain it to you or are you just trolling?

No I really don't see it. Nxt's source code was peer reviewd by known devs too, and by anon devs.

It's the good thing about being open source, everyone can review the code.

You still didn't tell me why "being known" matters?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
I don't really know why you need to know where your dev lives and how his face looks like.

They don't, but someone said that devs of a decentralized project must be not anonymous and sheeple repeats this mantra. Repeating doesn't involve brain cells as was shown in "1984".
Activity: 658
Merit: 501

legendary

I don't really know why you need to know where your dev lives and how his face looks like.
legendary
they have a store of beans and ammo, believe 9-11 was an inside job and hate all forms of government.

This mindset is deeply embedded into the NXT community.

hahaha you can't be serious.  Cheesy

Not all forms of governments are bad (I quite like mine for example), but some are.
@inBitweTrust:

Having spent some time going thru the Jeff Garzik critique of NXT (and the replies from the NXT community), the only genuinely valid point of Jeffs criticism was to do with the development process for NXT code.
Right now we only have one dev team contributing to NXT core protocols and main client, Jeffs point was that in order to be truly de-centralised NXT needs to have multiple independent teams contributing to the core, as per open-source ideals. Cant argue with that and it would be a good thing. However,  NXT is still evolving. Given another year or two, and we probably will have multiple dev teams on the core development process.

Pretty much all of the rest of Jeffs points didn't stand up to scrutiny, most being based on Jeffs opinion, rather than any verifiable facts..

legendary
If you want to change the country you live in according to your personal views -- off you go and change it then. Nothing stopping you doing that either. Just don't expect anyone to listen to you.

I'm already on it  Smiley

If you want deprecation of your purchasing power, inflation, corrupt banks, governments to be able to confiscate your funds, loosing everything when your government decides to make a currency reform, then feel free.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Hello UP, it has been a while. You gave yourself away very early on this time  Cheesy
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Trying to get banks and governments on board with this attitude (an attitude that's rampant in the NXT community) will get you absolutely nowhere.

That's the reason the OP is "dumping NXT and why you should too".

I think NXT is great as an anonymous crypto, but it cannot be the world's currency. One of the key foundation stones of government (as well as maintaining your borders, keeping law and order and collecting taxes, etc.) is the ability to control your own currency. A bunch of libertarian (lite) guys on the internet who have no territory and no influence aren't going to just come along and tell governments that they know better and that governments should listen to them and that governments should give up their sovereignty to a bunch of libertarian (lite) guys on the internet. Techies might be smart, but they don't always know better.

Ripple are demonstrating their technology to governments and banks and are showing them how cryptocurrency can make business more efficient and can make life better for citizens. This is hard to do when there's Bitcoin and Dodgecoin and NXT and all these other drug/libertarian nutters constantly in the news (for all the wrong reasons) pumping their crypto coin; nullifying the efforts of Ripple in championing the idea of legitimate crypto currency.

It's at the stage now where Ripple Labs need to remove themselves from these public lists (such as coinmarketcap.com and coingecko.com) because it makes out that XRP could be compared to Bitcoin and all the baggage that goes with the toxic Bitcoin brand.

@Eamorr:
I need to point out that you are replying to a massively ancient thread. NWO (the OP) started this in Jan 2014, a few weeks after NXTs launch.
Hopefully, he'll have finished his 50,000 NXT dump by now.

Also: Ripple isn't really a crypto-currency..........so removal from CMC sounds like a good idea.

You seem to be missing a very large aspect of Nxt: it's not just a crypto-currency, but a complete platform for crypto-based finance. The ultimate aim of Nxt is not to have the NXT currency at #1 on CMC (though that would be nice) but to provide people with a genuinely usable alternative to the current financial system.
Just like Bitcoin, in fact, but Nxt provides users with more features/tools than just the basic store/transfer functionality of BTC.

@inBitweTrust:

Having spent some time going thru the Jeff Garzik critique of NXT (and the replies from the NXT community), the only genuinely valid point of Jeffs criticism was to do with the development process for NXT code.
Right now we only have one dev team contributing to NXT core protocols and main client, Jeffs point was that in order to be truly de-centralised NXT needs to have multiple independent teams contributing to the core, as per open-source ideals. Cant argue with that and it would be a good thing. However,  NXT is still evolving. Given another year or two, and we probably will have multiple dev teams on the core development process.

Pretty much all of the rest of Jeffs points didn't stand up to scrutiny, most being based on Jeffs opinion, rather than any verifiable facts..

The OP, NWO (I can only assume NWO stands for "New World Order"), is a nutter. Every time you talk to someone plugging NXT, you soon find out that there's a high probability they have a store of beans and ammo, believe 9-11 was an inside job and hate all forms of government.

This mindset is deeply embedded into the NXT community. Even a fork would never rid the project of this mentality.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

Trying to get banks and governments on board with this attitude (an attitude that's rampant in the NXT community) will get you absolutely nowhere.

I think NXT is great as an anonymous crypto, but it cannot be the world's currency. One of the key foundation stones of government (as well as maintaining your borders, keeping law and order and collecting taxes, etc.) is the ability to control your own currency. A bunch of libertarian (lite) guys on the internet who have no territory and no influence aren't going to just come along and tell governments that they know better and that governments should listen to them and that governments should give up their sovereignty to a bunch of libertarian (lite) guys on the internet. Techies might be smart, but they don't always know better.

Ripple are demonstrating their technology to governments and banks and are showing them how cryptocurrency can make business more efficient and can make life better for citizens. This is hard to do when there's Bitcoin and Dodgecoin and NXT and all these other drug/libertarian nutters constantly in the news (for all the wrong reasons) pumping their crypto coin; nullifying the efforts of Ripple in championing the idea of legitimate crypto currency.

It's at the stage now where Ripple Labs need to remove themselves from these public lists (such as coinmarketcap.com and coingecko.com) because it makes out that XRP could be compared to Bitcoin and all the baggage that goes with the toxic Bitcoin brand.

@Eamorr:
I need to point out that you are replying to a massively ancient thread. NWO (the OP) started this in Jan 2014, a few weeks after NXTs launch.
Hopefully, he'll have finished his 50,000 NXT dump by now.

Also: Ripple isn't really a crypto-currency..........so removal from CMC sounds like a good idea.

You seem to be missing a very large aspect of Nxt: it's not just a crypto-currency, but a complete platform for crypto-based finance. The ultimate aim of Nxt is not to have the NXT currency at #1 on CMC (though that would be nice) but to provide people with a genuinely usable alternative to the current financial system.
Just like Bitcoin, in fact, but Nxt provides users with more features/tools than just the basic store/transfer functionality of BTC.

@inBitweTrust:

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
...but it cannot be the world's currency.

None of the currencies can be the world's currency. History books say so.
it cannot be the world's currency. One of the key foundation stones of government (as well as maintaining your borders, keeping law and order and collecting taxes, etc.) is the ability to control your own currency.

government != the world.

People are the world, and they should care if they want the government and the banks to control their wealth.

Great.

If you want to go be a commie/hippie/libertarian/whatever-you're-having-yourself, off you go and conquer your own territory. There's nothing stopping you.

If you want to change the country you live in according to your personal views -- off you go and change it then. Nothing stopping you doing that either. Just don't expect anyone to listen to you.

If you want to live in an off-grid Mormon commune, put all your wealth into NXT, run FreeBSD and access the internet through a VPN out of Iceland, best of luck with everything.
legendary
it cannot be the world's currency. One of the key foundation stones of government (as well as maintaining your borders, keeping law and order and collecting taxes, etc.) is the ability to control your own currency.

government != the world.

People are the world, and they should care if they want the government and the banks to control their wealth.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
i keep my nxt anyway

It may, however, survive as a "dark currency" that's used by criminals. The challenge would be to somehow convert your NXT to XRP.

What have "dark currencies" got to do with criminals ?

For a start, criminals don't use crypto, they use the US dollar.

Secondly, most people in the world prefer to keep their banking details out of the public domain. Whether the accounts are anonymous is beside the point - the transactions are not. If you're saying that makes everyone a "criminal" then I don't think you've thought very much about this issue.

Thirdly, commercial entities such as retailers, service providers and manufacturers consider cashflow information to be competitively sensitive. Are you saying that makes them criminals as well - the whole lot of them ?

Please people put 2 brain cells together before opening your mouths and letting your bellies rumble about this "anonymous cryptos are for criminals" crap.

legendary
Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002
Seems like Jeff is certainly extremely biased towards bitcoin, which is no surprise. This doesn't make his criticisms invalid by default but should make one wary about him over-exaggerating certain claims in favor of Bitcoin. As far as his politics are concerned he is "libertarian-lite" so he is in the camp that government and regulations are needed but is skeptical of big government.

Just for the record: he was "kinda sorta libertarian" now transformed to "failed libertarian"

Source: https://twitter.com/jgarzik (and twitter account 3 month ago)
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

It may, however, survive as a "dark currency" that's used by criminals. The challenge would be to somehow convert your NXT to XRP.

What have "dark currencies" got to do with criminals ?

For a start, criminals don't use crypto, they use the US dollar.

Secondly, most people in the world prefer to keep their banking details out of the public domain. Whether the accounts are anonymous is beside the point - the transactions are not. If you're saying that makes everyone a "criminal" then I don't think you've thought very much about this issue.

Thirdly, commercial entities such as retailers, service providers and manufacturers consider cashflow information to be competitively sensitive. Are you saying that makes them criminals as well - the whole lot of them ?

Please people put 2 brain cells together before opening your mouths and letting your bellies rumble about this "anonymous cryptos are for criminals" crap.
NxT scam distribution.  Indoor job.  Hashes do not match - Jeff Garzik

I wouldn't agree with Jeff that NxT is a scamcoin , but he did give some healthy and valid criticism:

Jeff "Hashes do not match" Garzik is famous for attacking all competitors of his projects. Here is one of the recent - https://twitter.com/jgarzik/status/554675231798099968. The fact that the guy endorsing government regulation on cryptocurrencies (his BitSat is completely govt controlled) raises a big red flag over Bitcoin and Bitpay.

Seems like Jeff is certainly extremely biased towards bitcoin, which is no surprise. This doesn't make his criticisms invalid by default but should make one wary about him over-exaggerating certain claims in favor of Bitcoin. As far as his politics are concerned he is "libertarian-lite" so he is in the camp that government and regulations are needed but is skeptical of big government.
Pages:
Jump to: