Author

Topic: Is it better to save money or invest it? - page 676. (Read 1181208 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
Having money in the form of fiat paper rectangles and token coins, contra a bank deposit.

Nowadays people conflate the two, because having a demand deposit account with card and stuff is so practical.

But in fact they are different. Depositing in a bank means you lend your money to the bank, so it is an investment via lending.

You could also ask the bank to hold your money for safety without lending to them.

If you compare the risk of lending with the risk of theft (when holding the money directly), the risk factor may be in favour of bank deposit under normal conditions. But conditions are not always normal.

tl;dr Bank deposit is lending, which is a form of investing.

Sorry for my french but that is bullshit.

They also put your checking account into short term loans, but they dont give interest to you on it, thats why a checking account is free (nothing is free they just dont tell you about it)

So if a bank loses everything, your deposit & checking account goes with it too.

If the investment insurance fund cannot bailout the bank, then they go bankrupt too.

If the government cant bail out the I.I.F then they go bankrupt too.

If the central bank cannot print money fast enough to bail out the gov bonds, then the whole system collapses.

It's all a house of cards, based on empty promises, which will fall down like a domino one day.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
Saving (refer to the saving/investment discussion) has fallen out of fancy these days. In my opinion, people are desperate to save, and they look for investments that have the characteristics of saving. For many that means housing, because of low risk and the house keeps its value. Of course there are other considerations with housing, but the main idea is that it is an attempt at saving, and if you want to save more you might move to a bigger house.

The reason is that sound money has not been available to people, the fiat loses value. But saving is the prime driver for most people. Investing is not for everyone, not everyone have the ambition to know about factories, technology and markets, not everyone wants to use their brain power to consider possible future developments and consider risk. They just want to save to be free from possible disaster in the future, and have something for their old days and for the kids. They don't want to be conserned with those things, they just want to live a good life. And they don't have to, entrepreneurs  and ideas are plentiful.

Saving in money is restored with the event of bitcoin. That is the biggest thing.
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
Fiat and paper money do not have any intrinsic value. Therefore, investing in properties, goods  and stocks is always better than keeping a lot of in your bank account. Hold only that much in cash as you need for your daily life and some purchases.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I would recommend you to invest in properties, but it depends on how much money you posses and which country you lived in, if you have more money you can go to U.A.E and Qatar to invest their in properties such as in real estates, or if your country very good in property investment then invest in your own country itself, Any land you purchased think as of you bought an Orange Gold.
legendary
Having money in the form of fiat paper rectangles and token coins, contra a bank deposit.

Nowadays people conflate the two, because having a demand deposit account with card and stuff is so practical.

But in fact they are different. Depositing in a bank means you lend your money to the bank, so it is an investment via lending.

You could also ask the bank to hold your money for safety without lending to them.

If you compare the risk of lending with the risk of theft (when holding the money directly), the risk factor may be in favour of bank deposit under normal conditions. But conditions are not always normal.

tl;dr Bank deposit is lending, which is a form of investing.
legendary
Saving: Safe, keep value.
Investing: Possible profit, but risky.

it depend on the risk of the investments, if the ratio is in favor of the possible profit, then the investments would always be the best choice

actually thre is some risk in saving money, due to thieves, maybe you save a big amount in your house, and you get robbed at the end...better if you used those to buy a small garage and rent it

So how about if you save it in the bank? It has a lower risk than save it in your house right? Big amount in the bank sure get some interest. It will earn

you possible of amount so you can just sit at your house and get paid every month

I though mostly about the risk of price swings. You could separate out the risk of theft, or maybe not, because risk of theft and scams are always present also in investing.

The risk is always what you assess yourself, there is not an automatic connection between risk and profit. A project could have low prospected profit and still big risk. Obviously you avoid that kind of business. The connection between high risk and high profit is somewhat maintained by the market, because everybody want to avoid the combination of low return and high risk.

Modified statement:

Saving: As low risk as possible, don't care about profit.

Investing: Want high profit, take risk if necessary.

it depend on the risk of the investments, if the ratio is in favor of the possible profit, then the investments would always be the best choice

actually thre is some risk in saving money, due to thieves, maybe you save a big amount in your house, and you get robbed at the end...better if you used those to buy a small garage and rent it

So how about if you save it in the bank? It has a lower risk than save it in your house right? Big amount in the bank sure get some interest. It will earn

you possible of amount so you can just sit at your house and get paid every month

still bank aren't 100% safe and their return is abysmally(if you plan to lock your money for the usual 1-3% per year or what it is) low like their chances that they will be robbed, so you see the ratio between safe and risk is always about the safe

low risk low return, high risk high return

Haha but not by a burglar but by them. With a low return you would expect low risk right?

Well hell no, they will just take it as collateral the minute the "Investment insurance fund" gets bankrupt.

Or wait, we got tax money reserves there right to bail them all out?  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070

still bank aren't 100% safe and their return is abysmally(if you plan to lock your money for the usual 1-3% per year or what it is) low like their chances that they will be robbed, so you see the ratio between safe and risk is always about the same

low risk low return, high risk high return
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

legendary

actually there is some risk in saving money, due to thieves, maybe you save a big amount in your house, and you get robbed at the end...better if you used those to buy a small garage and rent it
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
How about trading it on altcoins? I`m sure there are many many good altcoin investment, now only a few cent cost, later it can be worth thousands of dollars!
Alt coin trading is the hardest and riskiest investment. If you have less knowledge about the alt coin you might end losing more.

Kinda like another form of gambling which depends on your luck and skill.

It is not hard if you try to search and learn it. Yes it is risky but the payout is good so it is worth enough. With gambling you need a lot of funds but
trading you will not need that much, you just need to be patient and have faith and it is safer than gambling

Thats what i`m saying, but altcoins are almost totally predictable, they go up and probably 99% of them give nice returns!

You can predict well if you really have some experience there. But with only some knowledge and research I dont think you can just directly know

which altcoin is the best for mining
Yes but for you or to others they have an own opinion which is the best, its all depend on how they are going to mined or to trade with this coin. but for me bitcoin is the best among all of coins.
legendary
Activity: 117
Merit: 100
If a chance to take profit is more important for you that minimizing risk of losing, you can invest. Otherwise you should simply save money. There isn't a general tip for all.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
How about trading it on altcoins? I`m sure there are many many good altcoin investment, now only a few cent cost, later it can be worth thousands of dollars!
Alt coin trading is the hardest and riskiest investment. If you have less knowledge about the alt coin you might end losing more.

It is not hard if you try to search and learn it. Yes it is risky but the payout is good so it is worth enough. With gambling you need a lot of funds but
trading you will not need that much, you just need to be patient and have faith and it is safer than gambling

Thats what i`m saying, but altcoins are almost totally predictable, they go up and probably 99% of them give nice returns!

You can predict well if you really have some experience there. But with only some knowledge and research I dont think you can just directly know

which altcoin is the best for mining
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
well my bitcoins all invested and taking the proofs,the returns now ,and for sure i like altcoins even being an high risk way to increase my btc ammount but well is just a question when to enter the game and left with profit

legendary
actually i like more dash than litecoin
I guess litecoin demands is much more than dash which is litecoin trading is faster than dash so why dashcoin?

i said why, read the whole thing not just a portion

it is because dashcoin offer rig signature this mean that tx are anon, like with monero, but compared to monero i find the name more badass also is asic deterrent(very deterrent, even gpu struggling to surpass cpu)

also the parameters are better than monero, i like its 2 min block retarget for example, should lead to less orphan block
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

If you know how to do the pumped and dumped methods in trading or selling altcoins, i think its so very easy to used that method because you just only need to do is keep waiting until the price of altcoins goes up and then sell your coins more than you bought in. And believe that your coins will be bought by the buyers.

Altcoin is risky and it is not worth enough to be pumped or dump. Pick a good altcoin then do the mining, so later if price is high just dump it. This is just one try investment, mining done then sell, I guess most people do this kind of thing to earn fast. After done dumping all you coin you can start a new mining again

actually i like more dash than litecoin

I guess litecoin demands is much more than dash which is litecoin trading is faster than dash so why dashcoin?
legendary
litecoin...can be hold for long term investments

litecoin for long-term? honestly, instead of BTC, there is no other crypto for long-term and I don't think, that there will be any..

i know that bitcoin is the king, but it is always nice to have a back up, and many alternatives, one never know

actually i like more dash than litecoin, at least it come with rig signature and it offer something besides being a pure clone..., and saying that it is a clone of monero is not even correct, because monero is a clone of bytecoin...
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
litecoin...can be hold for long term investments

litecoin for long-term? honestly, instead of BTC, there is no other crypto for long-term and I don't think, that there will be any..
Jump to: