Pages:
Author

Topic: jgarzik goes berzerk in #bitcoin-dev, wtf? - page 19. (Read 29014 times)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503
November 30, 2012, 08:47:27 AM
jgarzik is quite right. The SHA-256 algorithm is property of the US and export regulations for SHA-256 expressively forbid exporting the algorithm or products based on the algorithm to Iran.
jgarzik is not quite right, if i understand the issue right.   Cheesy Seems to me that it's also expressively forbidden for US citizens to create and distribute currencies, which doesn't stop jgarzik from using or developing Bitcoin...

Makes me wonder whether the Teodesian guy is really right...

In fact, doesn't the US Constitution only allow the use of Au/Ag as money, and that only the US gov can issue that also? Maybe even the US governement is in violation of its own laws?  Cheesy
Activity: 597
Merit: 500
November 30, 2012, 08:32:35 AM
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGARZIK!

We all must obbey USA laws and THE foundation

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 30, 2012, 08:28:31 AM
FATF member countries have started applying stronger economic sanctions against the Iranian government and Iranian financial institutions.  The US, the UK and the EU have all recently issued new directives regarding financial activity with Iran.  I suspect that Jeff is concerned about Bitcoin being promoted as a way to bypass those sanctions, which could lead to it being directly targeted by AML/CTF laws in those jurisdictions.

http://www.knowyourcountry.com/iran1111.html
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
November 30, 2012, 08:20:02 AM
it's not illegal ethically
This is funny
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
November 30, 2012, 08:18:18 AM
Bitcoin can't belong to someone. IRC log shows that jgarzik thinks that Bitcoin is his own toy. If I were jgarzik I would apologize and cancel the ban. It's obvious that Jeremias was banned NOT for offtopic.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
November 30, 2012, 08:17:11 AM
I understand the point: breaking the Iranian trade sanctions is illegal in a statutory sense.

But it's not illegal ethically. If anything, the law as it exists is the ethical illegality. So I'm with the OP on this one, but Bitcoin's a broad church. Remember, non-political money means you have to be tolerant of everyone's politics, even, to some extent, the intolerant
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
November 30, 2012, 08:16:27 AM
jgarzik is quite right. The SHA-256 algorithm is property of the US and export regulations for SHA-256 expressively forbid exporting the algorithm or products based on the algorithm to Iran.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 30, 2012, 08:15:20 AM
The last straw for jgarzik was when jeremias mentioned translating Bitcoin-Qt to Farsi. Nice. That is actually related to development and not off topic in any way. I can't believe this.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 30, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
Where I live there are 3 subjects you better not discuss if you want to avoid having someone mad at you: religion, politics and football.
You know what I mean Wink
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 30, 2012, 08:01:20 AM
I have to take this case to the jury which is the bitcointalk community. One of my friends, Jeremias, who is the developer of LocalBitcoins, Easywallet and AcceptBit, just got kickbanned from #bitcoin-dev for ridiculous reasons.

Basically he promoted the new epic Bitcoin/Iran article in the channel, which is very interesting and #1 in Bitcoin-Reddit. What happened was that jgarzik banned Jeremias because of "encouraging illegal activity", WTF? Bitcoin is not illegal in Iran or anywhere else either, as far as I know.

Enough talk, I have the IRC log here and you can make your own conclusions. I'd understand the reaction if #bitcoin-dev is limited to development talk but it doesn't seem like that was the main reason for the ban. Personally jgarzik lost all some respect from me.

http://pastebin.com/taMsQLBN

My updated view on the topic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1372057
Pages:
Jump to: