Pages:
Author

Topic: [LEAKED] Private Bitcoin Foundation Discussions On Blacklisting, more (ZIP dump) - page 2. (Read 61123 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 252
If you think we dont need to meet the regulators half way you a fool.
Google met the NSA halfway, and they responded by tapping Google's private fiber links.

Bitinstant met the regulators halfway, and the banking system responded by dropping them like a hot potato as soon as they went and got all the licences everybody said they needed.

You are a fool if you believe that meeting terrorist and gangsters halfway will ever result in a good outcome for anyone except them and their cronies.

The solution is to invent and put into practise privacy-respecting protocols and software more rapidly than the regulators can adapt.

Perceptive perspective. Thank you! A post that bears repeating.

Are you listening, Gavin?
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
Every business should have a drug test kit to test cash for drug residue.  If it contains any they should not take it.  It could have been used in a crime.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
In Bitcoin, miners are God. Do not waste time on wrong people.

QFT
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
Imagine Bin Laden is still around.

We find out his Bitcoin address. It contains 10,000 Bitcoins and we can see transactions entering it.

We then see outgoings, some of which are traced to weapons used to kill 1000s of Americans, think a major bomb or subway incident.

What do you think is going to happen? Media outrage and congressional outrage. "We must ban this worldwide!". It's exactly what will happen. Bitcoin being so public is a double-edged sword.

I guess you would not have a problem with let's say Americans BTC funding radicals in some country with the goal to overthrow legit government.

The status quo isn't going to work.

Sure it will.

We should change the core devolopers of bitcoin, we can just do it.

In Bitcoin, miners are God. Do not waste time on wrong people.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
Google met the NSA halfway, and they responded by tapping Google's private fiber links.

Bitinstant met the regulators halfway, and the banking system responded by dropping them like a hot potato as soon as they went and got all the licences everybody said they needed.

You are a fool if you believe that meeting terrorist and gangsters halfway will ever result in a good outcome for anyone except them and their cronies.

The solution is to invent and put into practise privacy-respecting protocols and software more rapidly than the regulators can adapt.
Wow, i haven't noticed this earlier. This should be named the post of the year.
Activity: 333
Merit: 250
Ants Rock
Who pays "The Bitcoin Foundation"? Dry up their money or BTC problem solved! 
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!

You are a wise one.
Activity: 364
Merit: 257
We should change the core devolopers of bitcoin, we can just do it.
Activity: 968
Merit: 515
Jeff:
4. Donate to the Bitcoin Foundation, which supports two core developers.
Who is the second core dev?
Activity: 182
Merit: 10

So, Bitcoin becomes centralized. Funny and sad at the same time.

Bitcoin is widely acknowledged to be 'an experiment' and 'beta'.  As a first cut it is extraordinarily impressive in a lot of ways.

I believe that at the end of the day, Bitcoin's real contribution will be in calling attention to the aspects of future distributed crypto-currency solutions which need to be focused on.

The flip-side is that it could be incentive for the powers that be to tie up some loose ends in the global internet.  Or try to.  It is a distinct problem to a lot of people that in it's current implementation the internet allows a relatively high degree of freedom of association among the plebs.  The technology exists to rectify this 'deficiency' but it's not clear what the most effective way to roll these in will be.

I do not understand your concern with taint...we all do business with criminals. That doesn't make us criminals. Every defense attorney in the world takes tainted money and he's a friend of the court and often times on the public salary too.

I have no idea where my btc came from beyond who sent it to me (and some of it not even them).

But what do you think of VTC as far as solving the centralization problem? Sounds good to me but I'm pretty novice still.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

Bitcoin is widely acknowledged to be 'an experiment' and 'beta'.  As a first cut it is extraordinarily impressive in a lot of ways.

I believe that at the end of the day, Bitcoin's real contribution will be in calling attention to the aspects of future distributed crypto-currency solutions which need to be focused on.

The flip-side is that it could be incentive for the powers that be to tie up some loose ends in the global internet.  Or try to.  It is a distinct problem to a lot of people that in it's current implementation the internet allows a relatively high degree of freedom of association among the plebs.  The technology exists to rectify this 'deficiency' but it's not clear what the most effective way to roll these in will be.

Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
Who makes the decision on what is a tainted coin??

Anyone the U.S. government chooses.  My guess is that it will be these guys:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

What if users don't accept this method of coin validation?
What about international users?

See a few posts above:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4691189

legendary

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

See a few posts above:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4691189

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Tainting BTC in this manner does not require the participation of the Bitcoin developers.  Mostly just that they do nothing significant to protect against taint.
So many people fail to acknowledge inaction as a viable attack route in their threat models.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Coolness: ∞
Micon I demand more hilarious videos during the down time.

Just so we know the FEDS didn't capture you.

Nice piece brah.
legendary

OK above two posters, lemme ask you this:

Say you live happily in Bumfuckistan.  I can pay you in two different things:

- BTC which can be used to buy trinkets from Amazon. (no taint.)

- BTC which cannot be used to buy trinkets from Amazon.  (tainted.)

Remember that if you accept the BTC, you will also be asking the same question of whoever you are trying to pay the BTC to so it's not a matter of whether you yourself intend to buy trinkets from Amazon or not.

Unless you are full of shit, your answer will be that you would prefer the non-tainted coins.

Now we have a situation where tainted coins are not only useless for buying trinkets from Amazon, but are also devalued by everyone else no matter where they are or what their plans are.  This further damages BTC which are tainted.  It is a bit of a vicious cycle.  The tainted BTC will have some real-world value, but it will be less than the non-tainted BTC.  Perhaps much less.

Tainting BTC in this manner does not require the participation of the Bitcoin developers.  Mostly just that they do nothing significant to protect against taint.  (This is one of the most significant defects of Bitcoin's architecture in my opinion.)  As it happens, it seems that for whatever reason the Bitcoin Foundation is more likely to help tainting authorities than to hinder them.

Effective tainting also requires that at least one semi-major player honors the output of a tainting authority to get the ball rolling, but this is trivial when a US or International corporation gets involved.  Just threaten to put the CEO in jail which seems to be exactly what happened with Yahoo! and why they joined PRISM and handed bulk customer data over to the NSA.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
If US and The Bitcoin Foundation create come kind of regulations then me plus every other non-American will jump ship.
Pages:
Jump to: