Pages:
Author

Topic: [LEAKED] Private Bitcoin Foundation Discussions On Blacklisting, more (ZIP dump) - page 7. (Read 61123 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
He's said before that he is in favor of a heterogenous network composed of multiple implementations - perhaps Bitcoin Foundation's job is to piss us all off and get people to take a serious look at btcd and Bits of Proof.

I wonder what it would take to make Armory work with btcd instead of bitcoind...

btcwallet, the wallet daemon for btcd, reads and stores its wallet data in the same format as Armory. there are likely some rpc calls that need to be added to accommodate it.

the gui for btcd, btcgui, was just recently released and works fine on testnet. mainnet coming soon...
I honestly don't care or even want about btcwallet or btcgui. Is it possible to compile btcd without them?

Full nodes are network-facing applications which should have just the minimum necessary functionality to present a smaller attack surface and should focus on correctness and hardening.

User-facing applications like wallets should be separate.
Activity: 121
Merit: 103
He's said before that he is in favor of a heterogenous network composed of multiple implementations - perhaps Bitcoin Foundation's job is to piss us all off and get people to take a serious look at btcd and Bits of Proof.

I wonder what it would take to make Armory work with btcd instead of bitcoind...

btcwallet, the wallet daemon for btcd, reads and stores its wallet data in the same format as Armory. there are likely some rpc calls that need to be added to accommodate it.

the gui for btcd, btcgui, was just recently released and works fine on testnet. mainnet coming soon...
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
ASIC Myth Buster
Here is my 2 centavos....

This is American Thingy.  As long as you are not Americans, may be less to worry about?

I'm sure American get screwed by their own laws but other countries, we more than likely enjoy the traditional Bitcoin!

This years laws got American booted from many Financial Institutions around the world, now, they are going to get booted from the majority of the Bitcoin world.  USA is not the only country the BTC will be used, and the USA will be just the fraction of the pie chart as China is emerging very rapidly into the BTC world.

Another Example...  American Banks don't like to put Chip on the credit cards.  Many Canadian Merchants refused to accept credit cards and debit cards from American due to there is no chip on the card.

After American starts black listing the Bitcoin, many foreign merchants could refused to do business with American due to the risk of Red/Black/Gray whateer the color listing is.  The very same people who came up with the idea will be booted from their own circle.

Which will only hurt their own americans, because they will have to find the merchant that will accept other payment means and will be charged a lot higher transaction fees and extra in the price hike.

May be the riches don't care about a few% price increases as it won't affect them but the average people or so called middle class will feel the pain.

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
- if govnm't XYZ wants to track bitcoins by blockchain analysis, we cannot avoid it anyway, and they do it anyway, that's for sure. Whether some make national laws using such data is also outside our influence (but it would weaken the country's competitiveness)
But that is exactly why the bitcoin development should put much more focus on improving anonymity.
Tracking coins via blockchain analysis is the most important issue that ought to be addressed by the developers - but it hasn't been.

Ever since Satoshi is gone, no actual privacy improvement have been made in bitcoin.

Actually, wrong aaaand... WRONG again.

What about CoinControl, CoinJoin and Coinswap ? The first one is being merged into Bitcoin-QT, second is being worked on and avaiable already at blockchain.info's wallet, and third is at the concept stage.

These are all new ideas, give it time.

The people in charge who he left the project to have obviously sold it to corporations and are now busy not developing bitcoin, but a surveillance system around it. Am I the only person who actually sees it?
Actually AFAIK for now it's just Mike Hearn from core devs, do you have proof that other core devs are also working on it ?

Why would they?? they dont NEED a dollar! , with bitcoin at $500 I dont even want dollars If I have bitcoin!
scare people away is the ONLY tactic the US has left to save the sinking ship!
and yes If I was foreced as developer I wopuld LEAVE the USA....

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
- if govnm't XYZ wants to track bitcoins by blockchain analysis, we cannot avoid it anyway, and they do it anyway, that's for sure. Whether some make national laws using such data is also outside our influence (but it would weaken the country's competitiveness)
But that is exactly why the bitcoin development should put much more focus on improving anonymity.
Tracking coins via blockchain analysis is the most important issue that ought to be addressed by the developers - but it hasn't been.

Ever since Satoshi is gone, no actual privacy improvement have been made in bitcoin.

Actually, wrong aaaand... WRONG again.

What about CoinControl, CoinJoin and Coinswap ? The first one is being merged into Bitcoin-QT, second is being worked on and avaiable already at blockchain.info's wallet, and third is at the concept stage.

These are all new ideas, give it time.

The people in charge who he left the project to have obviously sold it to corporations and are now busy not developing bitcoin, but a surveillance system around it. Am I the only person who actually sees it?
Actually AFAIK for now it's just Mike Hearn from core devs, do you have proof that other core devs are also working on it ?
Activity: 574
Merit: 523
May be it worth to support proposals that targets the increase of privacy?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/miners-time-to-deprioritisefilter-address-reuse-334316

You would ask: "how it could help?" Simple: the less the addresses are reused the more complex the graph of connections between addresses become. Thus it takes much more resources to analyse that data and make conclusions. This is not the complete solution. It is a small step among others but it has to be done if we want privacy.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Ever since Satoshi is gone, no actual privacy improvement have been made in bitcoin. The people in charge who he left the project to have obviously sold it to corporations and are now busy not developing bitcoin, but a surveillance system around it. Am I the only person who actually sees it?
I seem to remember there's some organization whose favourite pastime is going around compromising open source projects and standards committees to make sure they implement security incorrectly in subtle ways.

Don't remember their name off the top of my head, but I think it rhymed with NASA maybe?
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354
aka tonikt

Ever since Satoshi is gone, no actual privacy improvement have been made in bitcoin. The people in charge who he left the project to have obviously sold it to corporations and are now busy not developing bitcoin, but a surveillance system around it. Am I the only person who actually sees it?

Of course i fight against. I only wondered that you speak about US-Slaves since its long time away that only USA citizens had problems with that surveillance state.

I did not mean that all the people living in US are slaves. There are millions of brilliant and thoughtful people living in US, just like there are tens on millions, if not billions, of american slaves living outside US. Ironically, some of them don't even speak English. Smiley

But the system of the economic slavery that is on stake here was made in USA - first raised along with the FED, then forced onto the rest of the wold in Bretton Woods and at the end totally released by another genocidal psychopath US president who decoupled the dollar from the gold, thus lifting any limits on the debt slavery. Bitcoin is going to destroy this system, but not without a fight. The war is already happening and people need to choose sides.

I don't have a problem with people saying to me (and I hear it every day) that they prefer dollars over bitcoins. What I do have a problem with though are the hypocrites who pretend to be developing bitcoin, while in fact they are conspiring to kill it... or not conspiring, but just promote the "media and politicians will use it to beat us up if we don't turn bitcoin into dollar" approach - these are the american slaves and trust me; they live all around the world.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
Erm... i wonder where you life since the control of people is a disease spreading worldwide. And yes they use all kind of excuses to forward their plans. Be it terrorism or money laundering. They will spread fear to get the plans through they need to earn money.

Yes.
So you are going to surrender?
Well - do what you please...

I am going to stand up, because I am not a slave, I have my rights as a human being and I am going to use them to promote my human interests.
And Bitcoin is today my most powerful weapon, which I will not give up even after my dead body. Smiley

These days I live in Holland, but I was born and raised in Poland, though today I consider myself a citizen of the world.
Unfortunately as it turns out, the World does not issue passports, and without a passport a human being is nobody.
So I am doomed to have a nationality, even though I think nationalism is stupid and inhumane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Passport
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
Erm... i wonder where you life since the control of people is a disease spreading worldwide. And yes they use all kind of excuses to forward their plans. Be it terrorism or money laundering. They will spread fear to get the plans through they need to earn money.

Yes.

I am going to stand up, because I am not a slave, I have my rights as a human being and I am going to use them to promote my human interests.
And Bitcoin is today my most powerful weapon, which I will not give up even after my dead body. Smiley

These days I live in Holland, but I was born and raised in Poland, though today I consider myself a citizen of the world.
Unfortunately as it turns out, the World does not issue passports, and without a passport a human being is nobody.
So I am doomed to have a nationality, even though I think nationalism is stupid and inhumane

Of course i fight against. I only wondered that you speak about US-Slaves since its long time away that only USA citizens had problems with that surveillance state.

Its not acceptable. I think i now will join bitcoin foundation to make my opinion be heard. I was told its only $25 per year now anymore.
Activity: 278
Merit: 251
Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer
my 5 cents to this thread, which I read completely:

- sincere thanks to ffs69 for using his brain
- don't feed a master troll.
- never change bitcoin protocol to better suit any govnm't's wishes.
- moving BF HQ outside US to a more liberal country might be a good idea to reduce US influence/pressure. It's time to make it international! Then this whole discussion would be carried out as a discussion of the "US local chapter" of the BF, and not within the BF "HQ" itself. Then it would all be about lobbying and talking to the national regulators, and the bitcoin devs would not even be involved/bothered by such a local (national) discussion.
As a location for BF I propose e.g. Finland, which I think is most compatible w.r.t. tech savyness, btc adoption rate per capita, political frame and people's culture. It is not as dominated by the banking sector as Switzerland which might therefore not be the best candidate.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I hesitate to say it again but I did find Mike's post a bit naive (which I'm sure he isn't, it's just my reading of it). You need to differentiate that from 'the foundation', despite his post (it was not a public statement). I think you're misreading the Foundation's position, perhaps because they haven't come out with definitive statements at this point AFAIK.

I've reread some of Mike's posts and I can see he's after a technical solution, but I can't help but feel he's missing the point. Bitcoin is a transaction system and has no moral say on a transaction. The only way it could do so is by human input somewhere along the line, whether a centralised database or decentralised. The moment that happens is the moment you've broken the trustless nature of the system.

Besides, there'll be a million and one ways around it before you could say jump.

My worry is that Bitcoin will get neutered due to those with heavy political influence (CoinV) or replaced. We'll all be the worse off but anyone who wants to can proceed with the same criminal activities as before. That, to me, is the crux of the problem.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
@ffssixtynine

I see you like government involvement, or at the very least - you think that there's no use in resisting it. With your little crafted example of Bin retard, for instance. Fear as a tactic? Its working for the DHS rather well, isn't it? So naturally you adopt this stance and say "Well, look - we can catch bad people if we do X, Y and Z" without stopping for one second and looking at the principles being violated.

Personal freedom and financial freedom are worthwhile, no matter how many horrible counter-examples you can give. For every system there are positives and negatives, and I'm not going to give up this fight just because someone is scared the "bad guys" will abuse it.

As for the "Bitcoin Foundation", all they've done is raise Bitcoin's visibility towards the very forces that can cause us harm (Depending on where you live, I guess.). Thanks a load, guys, you're really pals. Entertaining or "just discussing" these issues with government aren't helping anyone, at all.

All they'll end up achieving is crippling U.S. involvement with Bitcoin, and then other countries will take the torch and leave them in the dust.

This is simply idiocy.

Can I just clarify that no no no I'm not in favour of any of it. I have said that several times Smiley

However, some form of regulation is going to happen. It doesn't matter what you say, what I say, what the foundation say, it is going to happen. Just like with KYC with exchanges. Refusing to discuss it internally, let alone externally, is folly in the extreme. You'll then have people like yifu having the regulator's ear instead. That would be an utter nightmare - there would be no balance.

They haven't raised Bitcoin's visibility in this respect - this is being discussing heavily at regulators world wide and multiple companies are working on how they can make money by getting in bed with the gov at our expense (some may even believe it's the right thing to do). I've known this was under discussion in the UK and US since July. It only takes a few contacts to know what's going on, plus enough has been said in public, and many other people here know this too. The only people with their knickers in a twist over a simple discussion are people here.

Let me make clear the difference between something being discussed to as to know how to deal with questioning, which is absolutely essential, and coming out and saying at we should do x.  It's important to recognise the difference. In order to counter arguments for black green grey etc listing, you need to have discussed it, including technical approaches. Not doing so means being caught with your pants down.

Regulators are not necessarily your enemy, but governments and law enforcement certainly can be. Regulators are the guys in the middle. It's all rather more complex than you seem to realise.

Btw This issue goes way beyond the US.

Most certainly the issue is beyond any given national border - I agree. Thank you for asserting that you don't back the "governance by fear" technique, it gives me hope in humanity in general.

Here's the real problem that I think the non-elected-by-majority-of-bitcoin-users Bitcoin Foundation is causing:

They are operating under the assumption that the U.S. Government will play fair.

The government in this case has already proven that they will not play fair, in fact, they'll utilize whatever they can grasp to get their will imposed upon any nation-state or system they choose.

By going up to the government, and essentially baring Bitcoin's throat saying "You could kill us by cutting our jugular, but we know you won't because you're a good bunch" is such an extreme example of niave thinking, that it has stunned us all.

That explains the reaction, and it most certainly explains why all these "mere discussions" about the "inevitability" of regulation are happening in the least-transparent way possible.

History is a harsh judge, and upon the Bitcoin Foundation, it will be the harshest of all.
legendary
aka tonikt

Yes.

legendary
aka tonikt
You're lovely, you know that. I've never hidden anything, you're just to lazy to read.

Like I cared which country has issued your passport; for me you are a poor american slave anyway.
A man is what he does - even Forrest Gump knew it Smiley

And no - it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I am too lazy to read through all your bullshit.

And with that, ignored.
Finally.
It's amazing how much time a person needs to waste sometimes to effectively say "fuck off" Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
I agree with you Seb. It can't. There are so, so many flaws.

My point was about how the media and politicians will use it to beat us up if we don't have answers.

Ah, didnt notice that...

My point was about how the media and politicians will use it to beat us up if we don't have answers.
You poor american slave.
If your media and politicians will beat you up - how is it anyone's problem except your own?
Trust me: unlike what they told you at school, world is much bigger than just your nazi fatherland and both; Bitcoin and the world will be just fine, maybe even better, after your once great USA is already a dead stinky body, killed by its own exceptionalism.

You elect your own government, you pretend to spread "freedom & democracy" all over the world, but ironically you are the only ones who come crying that your own media and politicians are beating you up, thus forcing you to conspire against the bitcoin as we've known it... And in the meantime I am the one who wears a tinfoil hat...

You know, not that I wear it, but considering the fact that you are quite aware of how fucked up the country you live in actually is, does't it make you feel like maybe tinfoil hats actually work? Smiley

Erm, so where have I suggested adjusting the Bitcoin protocol and where have I said I do anything other than oppose anything like that? It's nice of you to take a view without facts, which probably explains the rest of your views posted as well.

Some things don't need to be spoken literally to be understood - all a person needs is an IQ higher than yours and he can easily read between the lines.

So you won't tell us where you live, will you? I'm betting it isn't China, nor Russia - because none of their citizens are asking "how high?" when the nazi US government says "jump!"
UK? You seem to be matching Mike's profile pretty well and the guy is the queen's servant, though as the leaks have shown, obviously very proud of sucking Obama's black cock...

You're lovely, you know that. I've never hidden anything, you're just to lazy to read.

And with that, ignored.
legendary
aka tonikt
Erm, so where have I suggested adjusting the Bitcoin protocol and where have I said I do anything other than oppose anything like that? It's nice of you to take a view without facts, which probably explains the rest of your views posted as well.

Some things don't need to be spoken literally to be understood - all a person needs is an IQ higher than yours and he can easily read between the lines.

So you won't tell us where you live, will you? I'm betting it isn't China, nor Russia - because none of their citizens are asking "how high?" when the nazi US government says "jump!"
UK? You seem to be matching Mike's profile pretty well and the guy is the queen's servant, though as the leaks have shown, obviously very proud of sucking Obama's black cock...
You poor american slave.

I can tell you don't read because if you did you would know that I'm not American, not in America, and not a member of the Foundation!

Then we can only wonder why are you shitting your pants thinking about "the media and politicians beating you up", just because you did not adjust the bitcoin protocol to please US gov.
Where do you live - in Guantanamo? Smiley

Obviously one does not need to be an American to be a poor american slave - you are the proof.

legendary
aka tonikt
You poor american slave.

I can tell you don't read because if you did you would know that I'm not American, not in America, and not a member of the Foundation!

Then we can only wonder why are you shitting your pants thinking about "the media and politicians beating you up", just because you did not adjust the bitcoin protocol to please the US gov... Where do you live, if I may ask - in Guantanamo? Smiley

Obviously one does not need to be an American to be a poor american slave - you are the very proof.
Pages:
Jump to: