Pages:
Author

Topic: Look at a pirate, eye to eye if you dare. - page 6. (Read 60653 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
So, just to reiterate, Bitcoiners were meeting right beside DefCon and not going in.

Yeah, it's everyone's own choice and a matter of taste so What is this I don't even
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
So, just to reiterate, Bitcoiners were meeting right beside DefCon and not going in.

Yeah, it's everyone's own choice and a matter of taste so What is this I don't even
Zomg my brainwallet might get hax
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Just out of curiosity... how was defcon ? Anyone know when the presentations usually make it online ?
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I don't believe any of this (except for a small subset of this that I do believe but can't quite remember).

Tendon Shivers isn't a real person just a front for GNUMAX.

My own research has shown that pirate is really Mary Read, the notorious 18th century pirate.  Check it out for yourself on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read,  It say's "pirate" right there in the first sentence.

Of course most of the Wikipedia article is lies.  So I just make up the rest of the truth.   Read is really about 400 years old.  Among her pre-pirating accomplishments were the writing of several, but not all, of Shakespeare's plays.  Well more accurately she stole several of Shakespeare's plays and improved them to the point that she is for the most part is the real author.

Her father was an interesting character too.  Among other things he coined the name "Netherlands".
LIES! I have met this "Netherlands" and it is nothing like what you describe!
Activity: 451
I don't believe any of this (except for a small subset of this that I do believe but can't quite remember).

Tendon Shivers isn't a real person just a front for GNUMAX.

My own research has shown that pirate is really Mary Read, the notorious 18th century pirate.  Check it out for yourself on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read,  It say's "pirate" right there in the first sentence.

Of course most of the Wikipedia article is lies.  So I just make up the rest of the truth.   Read is really about 400 years old.  Among her pre-pirating accomplishments were the writing of several, but not all, of Shakespeare's plays.  Well more accurately she stole several of Shakespeare's plays and improved them to the point that she is for the most part is the real author.

Her father was an interesting character too.  Among other things he coined the name "Netherlands".
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
True, but if you do not want to deal with the bullshit completely disregard their comments and see it as white noise. Please, do not let it influence your decisions.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

Wow, you are taking those idiots seriously? Just let me state that in no way would make you responsible for any of Pirate his actions. Was that actually unclear for anyone? People that state such things have completely lost any connection to the actual world.

I get that, the important bit is the "They don't want to deal with the BS."  Regardless if its even remotely accurate or not, people continue to spew tons of crap, completely unrestrained.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

Wow, you are taking those idiots seriously? Just let me state that in no way would make you responsible for any of Pirate his actions. Was that actually unclear for anyone? People that state such things have completely lost any connection to the actual world.
Activity: 686
Wat
Activity: 134
Merit: 100

I can to a point understand why people are being vague about this, it's more the impression of people being playfully vague that got to me.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Somehow I'm not convinced when people who have admitted to being Pirate's co-conspirators (or victims) claim that they know what Pirate is doing with their money and claim that it's not a Ponzi.

There used to be a Ponzi scheme in Finland called WinCapita (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCapita).  Many of the victims (some of whom lost tens or hundreds of thousands of euros) still believe WinCapita was legit (the founder claimed he was doing forex trading with a secret, highly efficient algorithm), even though the founder admitted guilt in 2009 and was convicted in 2011.

Pirate's operation has all the tell-tale signs of a Ponzi scheme. Just because his identity is known it doesn't mean he's not a scammer.

everyone known who bernie madoff was ,everyone known who sergei "forgot his name " the biggest  russian pyramid  scamer  ever was

the russian guy even printed worthless share certificates with his REAL FACE on them and issued them to to share holders for cash and conned half of russia out of their life savings Cheesy

if history has taught us anything it has to be that knowing someones name is virtually zero security for your investments ..........

vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

Activity: 501
Somehow I'm not convinced when people who have admitted to being Pirate's co-conspirators (or victims) claim that they know what Pirate is doing with their money and claim that it's not a Ponzi.

There used to be a Ponzi scheme in Finland called WinCapita (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCapita).  Many of the victims (some of whom lost tens or hundreds of thousands of euros) still believe WinCapita was legit (the founder claimed he was doing forex trading with a secret, highly efficient algorithm), even though the founder admitted guilt in 2009 and was convicted in 2011.

Pirate's operation has all the tell-tale signs of a Ponzi scheme. Just because his identity is known it doesn't mean he's not a scammer.
It sounds like a game and elitism, but I think it's actually showing how seriously people take each other. If Pirate doesn't disclose something himself publicly, I don't think people privy to the information would be keen on doing such a thing without asking his consent.

I can certainly appreciate everyone's wish for privacy, and this in itself does not necessarily imply game and elitism. It may as well also be taken as a sign of professionalism.

Activity: 336
Pirate is 3rd from the right.  His real name is Trendon Shavers and he lives in McKinney, TX.  He will be turning 30 in September.

This Trendon Shavers?

NAME   CASE NO.   DATE OF BIRTH   CHARGE
SHAVERS, TRENDON   101078   09/21/1982   THEFT O/20 U/500 BY CHECK

yes. he has addressed this... dig some more.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Everyone invested in pirate has an interest in finding out about him, just in case..
Even people which are not invested with may have an interest in Pirate being legitimate and honest in his business practices, as it is directly linked to the reputation of bitcoin and the whole community. I would not like bitcoin to be labeled as an unsecure scam ridden project, doomed to fail for its vulnerabilities to hacking and scam schemes. I know better, but it is hard to explain to the rest of the world if all they get from the media is the catastophes.

Also, pls digg some more into the seeming information you found on Pirate, it is hard for me to believe, that someone with a couple of million of borrowed dollars sitting in his chest lets such information laying around for everyone else easily to find. Especially, because he is so secretive with all his business in general. Maybe try to meet him at his home address, call his phone number and see who answers, or seek some confirmation on his birth in local registers, because it would be highly naive to believe anything you happened to find on Google.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
Pirate is 3rd from the right.  His real name is Trendon Shavers and he lives in McKinney, TX.  He will be turning 30 in September.

This Trendon Shavers?

NAME   CASE NO.   DATE OF BIRTH   CHARGE
SHAVERS, TRENDON   101078   09/21/1982   THEFT O/20 U/500 BY CHECK
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

Of course, nobody will believe me because if they do it takes all the fun out of it.

All this information is available via google, and if you're investor you should already know all of it or you didn't do you due diligence and one day you will be scammed by a real scam artist.  Pirate, on the other hand is just a smart guy trying to get rich by helping bitcoin reach it's full potential.

Thanks, finally some one steps up!
I wasn't really that concerned about the ID, it was just getting a bit tiresome with all the games played by the involved ("Here I am...one of these 10 guys is me!"). But it probably was fun for the people involved (it probably contributed to their in-group feeling).

About due diligence: I read a lot about BTCST before investing - so I am fully aware of the risk of it being a Ponzi and of it defaulting. I've stayed out of numerous opportunities on glbse which seemed a bit shoddy (or: didn't offer high enough returns considering their perceived shodiness).
Those who are aware of what's going on and who's involved probably don't wish to violate others' privacy. Most BTC-related Skype groups I'm aware of, for example, have a gentlemen's NDA in effect, and when info about Pirate's leaked, there's often an explicit "nothing leaves this room" notice given. Every group I'm aware of being in has this in effect, from the DCAO rooms, to the lenders' room, to specific business rooms. Whenever something's leaked which shouldn't be, a bit of a witch-hunt forms, and trust breaks down.

It sounds like a game and elitism, but I think it's actually showing how seriously people take each other. If Pirate doesn't disclose something himself publicly, I don't think people privy to the information would be keen on doing such a thing without asking his consent. Pirate in particular seems a bit secretive, making everyone else a bit less interested in releasing information on someone who probably holds thousands of their coins and may not appreciate non-public information being leaked.

Moreover, there's not much to gain by leaking information from those assuming BS&T isn't a Ponzi. Information may bring in many new investors, but that isn't essential to Pirate paying out. There's really not much reason for investors to defend Pirate (still assuming Pirate isn't a ponzi), except when people go out of their way to call investors and "enablers" scammy idiots who should have their eyes pecked out - or something along those lines.

ETA: Backpeddling a bit thinking about it more, PPT operators obviously have incentive to defend Pirate, given they profit off arb.

Of course, nobody will believe me because if they do it takes all the fun out of it.

All this information is available via google, and if you're investor you should already know all of it or you didn't do you due diligence and one day you will be scammed by a real scam artist.  Pirate, on the other hand is just a smart guy trying to get rich by helping bitcoin reach it's full potential.

Thanks, finally some one steps up!
I wasn't really that concerned about the ID, it was just getting a bit tiresome with all the games played by the involved ("Here I am...one of these 10 guys is me!"). But it probably was fun for the people involved (it probably contributed to their in-group feeling).

About due diligence: I read a lot about BTCST before investing - so I am fully aware of the risk of it being a Ponzi and of it defaulting. I've stayed out of numerous opportunities on glbse which seemed a bit shoddy (or: didn't offer high enough returns considering their perceived shodiness).
Pages:
Jump to: