Pages:
Author

Topic: Meanwhile in Ukraine... Revolution. - page 66. (Read 227070 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
April 16, 2014, 03:33:48 PM
Yes, on the last two items, people commented along the lines of "Those guys in Kiev smoke quite strong weed". Cheesy

Bomb shelters. Maybe against NATO?

On a more serious note. People are still attempting diplomacy, but I guess they'll be ignored again:

19:19 GMT:

Donetsk’s South-East Movement for Federalization has made a list of demands to the authorities in Kiev, reports Itar-Tass. Following the results of its first session, the group demanded a constitutional reform aimed at the federalization of the country, a pardon for anti-government protesters, a cancellation of the mobilization of forces, and an end to military operations in Ukraine. The gathering was chaired by presidential candidate Oleg Tsaryov.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
April 16, 2014, 03:25:56 PM
Lol, criminal case against Sberbank? These guys went crazy, sberbank is able to crash the remainings of their economy, even without noticing it.
legendary
April 16, 2014, 03:05:07 PM
Those Americans are starting to get repetitive. Can't do anything, but laugh:
Mary Harf of State Department said that US prepared a new package of sanctions, but told Russia "don't expect to have them imposed until after the meeting in Geneve tomorrow". State Dep. Russian steps for de-escalation in Ukraine (I get it, CIA is a Russian agency!), or they'll take additional actions, including sanctions."
http://www.interfax.ru/world/372122
 Grin Grin Grin

http://rt.com/news/eastern-ukraine-army-operation-680/
19:02 GMT:

Ukraine’s acting prosecutor general, Oleg Makhnitsky, says that criminal proceedings have been launched against 14 banks – including Russia’s biggest bank, Sberbank, RIA Novosti reports.

I wonder on what charges? As a ploy not to pay back for gas?

Grin Grin Grin

Coup authorities in Kiev ordered to prepare bomb shelters:
http://www.bfm.ru/news/254756?doctype=news

Nervous, are we?
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
April 16, 2014, 12:07:54 PM
From Kramatorsk. One of the seized APCs.

legendary
April 16, 2014, 11:42:22 AM

Hmmm , let's get Klichko out of this.
He might have taken a few euros or more  but unlike the others he had earned enough cash by himself to buy those houses.

Ok, I also heard that he got to drinking recently, having finally realised what kind of hell hole he dug himself into. I shall be magnanimous.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
April 16, 2014, 11:12:40 AM

Hmmm , let's get Klichko out of this.
He might have taken a few euros or more  but unlike the others he had earned enough cash by himself to buy those houses.
legendary
April 16, 2014, 11:03:51 AM
I think the most funny thing here is that the most part of this $5 billion was stolen  Cheesy

In a sense. Most of it was spent as bribes. Some of it was given to Tymoshenko's people, some to the Right Sector Nazis. Even the people who took part in the Kiev protests received their daily wages. Also, a lot of the money was used to bribe the Eastern oligarchs, such as Renat Akhmetov and Gennadiy Kernes, to make them switch sides.
legendary
April 16, 2014, 10:28:28 AM
I think the most funny thing here is that the most part of this $5 billion was stolen  Cheesy

Just like the most part of those gas subsidies.

Here's where some of the money went:

Timoshenko's mama's house:

Timoshenko's house:

Turchinov's friend's houses:

Turchinov's house:

Yatsenjuk's house:

Yanukovich's residence:

There are many more...
legendary
April 16, 2014, 10:19:55 AM
legendary
April 16, 2014, 10:16:56 AM
Here is an interesting development:

http://french.ruvr.ru/news/2014_04_16/60-militaires-ukrainiens-ont-rejoint-les-membres-de-la-milice-populaires-4607/

60 Ukrainian soldiers defect in Kramatorsk.

And those 5 bills the US and EU spent in 25 years were a problem Smiley.

25 days, not 25 years. The armed uprising in Kiev lasted 25 days.

It just needs to reach a critical momentum, then the Army will go to over the people en mass.

I think Nuland mentioned that they spent that some over a prolonged period of time, preparing...
legendary
April 16, 2014, 10:13:39 AM
Here is an interesting development:

http://french.ruvr.ru/news/2014_04_16/60-militaires-ukrainiens-ont-rejoint-les-membres-de-la-milice-populaires-4607/

60 Ukrainian soldiers defect in Kramatorsk.

25 days, not 25 years. The armed uprising in Kiev lasted 25 days.
legendary
April 16, 2014, 10:12:29 AM
Why not ask Ukrainians, then? The first demand they put forth was a referendum. Russia didn't ask for their integration. Ukraine has much larger trading volume with Russia, than with Ukraine. Russia offered condition-free monetary help and gas subsidies, Europe - promises of loans and austerity for a population that already lives at the brink of or below poverty level. In any case, this is a moot point. Russia proposed to EU an three-way cooperation agreement that would benefit EU and protect Russian and Ukrainian trade interests. EU refused. The whole EU debate was just a smoke screen for what followed.

During the past 4 years, Russia spent almost $40 billion in gas subsidies and other grants to the Ukrainian state, without getting anything in return. May be it is time for the EU now to take lead to subsidize the non-productive industries of Ukraine. The EU leaders such as Merkel and Hollande knows about the cost involved, and that is why they are not very keen to join the US in its proxy war. It is the US which is pushing the EU on this issue. All Obama care is to get new military bases in Eastern Ukraine, so that he could station his missiles there.

Well, yes. The US was expecting a NATO base and a goods dump site for EU in return.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
April 16, 2014, 10:10:28 AM
Why not ask Ukrainians, then? The first demand they put forth was a referendum. Russia didn't ask for their integration. Ukraine has much larger trading volume with Russia, than with Ukraine. Russia offered condition-free monetary help and gas subsidies, Europe - promises of loans and austerity for a population that already lives at the brink of or below poverty level. In any case, this is a moot point. Russia proposed to EU an three-way cooperation agreement that would benefit EU and protect Russian and Ukrainian trade interests. EU refused. The whole EU debate was just a smoke screen for what followed.

During the past 4 years, Russia spent almost $40 billion in gas subsidies and other grants to the Ukrainian state, without getting anything in return. May be it is time for the EU now to take lead to subsidize the non-productive industries of Ukraine. The EU leaders such as Merkel and Hollande knows about the cost involved, and that is why they are not very keen to join the US in its proxy war. It is the US which is pushing the EU on this issue. All Obama care is to get new military bases in Eastern Ukraine, so that he could station his missiles there.

legendary
April 16, 2014, 04:16:57 AM
http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_04_16/Armored-vehicles-of-Ukrainian-army-appear-in-Kramatorsk-media-8246/

Armoured vehicles with flags of Ukraine have appeared in the streets of Kramatorsk, Donetsk region. Some local residents are trying to hold up their movement. Several infantry fighting vehicles have entered Kramatorsk, Interfax informs with reference to the local media. They were blocked by a mini-bus. Two helicopters are flying over the city. In all, according to eyewitnesses, about 300 Ukrainian soldiers are staying in the city, the Agency says.

The Ukrainian troops haven't yet gained complete control of Kramatorsk, despite taking the airfield. If the news about the 6 defected APCs can be confirmed, then it is a complete failure for the Kiev regime.
legendary
legendary
April 15, 2014, 10:04:36 PM

Activity: 196
Merit: 101
April 15, 2014, 03:37:37 PM
It is sad, because Ukraine always seems to be stuck between two fighting side, Russia and Europe. It was same during World War 2, when they were stuck between Soviet Union and Germany.

In an economical prospective, it might be better for Ukraine if it joins the Russian-led customs union.

That's the way the USSR worked. Russia and Ukraine together accounted for more than 90% of the total population (and 99% of the productive population). Russia had infinite natural resources, which were shipped to the factories in Ukraine, where the Ukrainian manpower produced world class engineering products. At that time, both Russia and Ukraine were inter-dependent on each other. Russia bartered its oil, gas, timber and mineral ores for food grains and meat produced in Ukraine, Belarus and Moldovia. Now Russia is a net importer of food, while Ukraine is heavily dependent on oil and gas imports.

The reason why the USSR disintegrated is because the unproductive population (mostly Muslims in Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan) increased much faster as compared to the productive population. However, if Russia and Ukraine creates an union state which excludes parasites such as Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, the people on both sides would benefit from it. 

If Ukraine joins the EU, the government will be forced to take up austerity measures. This can include reducing the subsidies and pensions. It will adversely affect the lower middle class and the poor. However, the elite and the urban middle class will gain from new business opportunities. Also, the Ukrainian factories will be forced to adhere to the European standards, which would require new investment worth some $200 billion. No one is having that much money there. So there is a possibility that if Ukraine joins the EU, the Arabs and the Chinese will buy up 90% of Ukraine.

Some of your facts are wrong.

Republic   Population of Republic (000s) 1979   1989    % urban 1979   Titular nationality (1989)   Russian (1989)
Soviet Union   262,436   286,717   67   -   51.4
Russian SFSR   137,551   147,386   74   81.3   81.3
Ukrainian SSR   49,755   51,704   68   72.7   22.1

More like 60% of the population.
The Baltic countries were heavenly industrialized compared to Russia in %.
Their GDP was way higher than soviet Russia , in some cases more than 40%.

Also, Russia is one of the biggest wheat exporters in the world , with double the amount of Ukraine.

and 50x the territory Cheesy
legendary
April 15, 2014, 03:07:15 PM
news has been rather quite hear about Ukraine so that tells me there is alot of shady business taking place on both sides I have no doubt.  I expect this summer to be very "hot" indeed..

I am noticing that too, also in Russian media. There are a few high-level blows between the bigwigs, bet very little of what is happening to the people. I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of the conflict is predetermined.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
April 15, 2014, 03:06:26 PM
news has been rather quite hear about Ukraine so that tells me there is alot of shady business taking place on both sides I have no doubt.  I expect this summer to be very "hot" indeed..
legendary
April 15, 2014, 02:58:16 PM
For Ebrelus and others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/international/2014/04/140415_ukraine_donbass_view.shtml

Interesting article about anti-maidan movement in Donetsk. It's written in russian, but I suppose that google translate will make it readable enough to understand something. And note that it's written and published by BBC. Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: