Pages:
Author

Topic: Mixers to be banned - page 4. (Read 23006 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
April 16, 2024, 11:13:03 AM
The gubbermint: -Do not mine block #13123313123123, that is a federal order.
The miners: -Sir yes sir!
You mean, "The mining pool: Yes sir!". As far as the miners are concerned, they're incentivized to mine on the most profitable pool, which is the one that censors no transaction.

They only need to send the order to the biggest 3 or 4 pools and there goes your decentralized mining.
The top 4 pools as we speak mine about 75% of the blocks. This means that even if 4 pools started censoring transactions based on federal orders, there would still be 1 in 4 blocks that would ignore all the censorship bullshit. And at this point, the pro-censorship pools would have just accomplished loss without censoring anything.

True, however… Just like how they have been doing it with mixers, they’ll hunt down them pools which don’t comply.

Where are they gonna host these miners their website then?

On an onion domain? Good luck. They would be lucky if they could get 1% of the total hash rate then.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
April 16, 2024, 11:08:32 AM
You mean, "The mining pool: Yes sir!". As far as the miners are concerned, they're incentivized to mine on the most profitable pool, which is the one that censors no transaction.

They only need to send the order to the biggest 3 or 4 pools and there goes your decentralized mining.
The top 4 pools as we speak mine about 75% of the blocks. This means that even if 4 pools started censoring transactions based on federal orders, there would still be 1 in 4 blocks that would ignore all the censorship bullshit. And at this point, the pro-censorship pools would have just accomplished loss without censoring anything.
legendary
April 16, 2024, 11:00:47 AM
Mining is also supposed to be decentralized and yet, we see people closing down their farms...
Decentralized means it keeps working after someone shuts down their farm.

It is not decentralized if all the farms have to follow the same orders coming from a singe centralized authority, which is the gubbermint.

https://hashrateindex.com/hashrate/pools

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
April 16, 2024, 10:54:07 AM
DeFi was supposed to stand for "Decentralized Finance". If they can be shut down, they're not decentralized and don't deserve to use that name.
You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if they call themselves they are decentralized or not and what they deserve.
It can very easily happen that domains (and everything else recognized as their resource) are seized, which will put them in the same group as mixers.
I'm kinda expecting the long-term result to be more real decentralization. BitTorrent magnet links for instance don't rely on a single domain name.

Mining is also supposed to be decentralized and yet, we see people closing down their farms...
Decentralized means it keeps working after someone shuts down their farm.
legendary
April 16, 2024, 09:19:21 AM
You're probably talking about GitHub which is centralized and owned by Microsoft.

How did Satoshi commit code during the first years? When did they start using GitHub?

Although I suppose taking down Bitcoin from GitHub could be considered a violation of free speech... perhaps...

I remember something similar about cryptography not allowed to be exported from the US back in the late 90s (Gene Hoffman had wrote a story about it). He found a clever workaround:

https://hoffmang9.github.io/free-speech/the-history-code-is-free-speech.html

Git is a version control software, I misused the word. I wanted to say “repository” and i believe sourceforge was the king shit back in the day. I can’t really remember but bitcoin code was hosted on sourceforge at first then it was moved on to github. There was another drama about it which I can’t really remember its details.

SourceForge is a web service that offers software consumers a centralized online location to control and manage open-source software projects and research business software.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
April 16, 2024, 09:17:28 AM
The difference is that shutting down a mining farm or two doesn't really influence the Bitcoin network, whereas in 99.9% of DeFi, there's a small group of people behind the "DAO" that has significant control over the decision-making processes.

Sooner or later, I expect Bitcointalk to become an onion site... no more clearnet access!
I highly doubt it. The administrators of this place have been identified, as far as I know, and if bitcointalk turned into a darknet site, then the 1226 BTC in forum reserves could be confiscated by the authorities.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 294
April 16, 2024, 08:57:40 AM
I suggest that Bitcointalk ban all Defi platforms as soon as possible, and wordfilter their domains, why wait for a verdict and risk the forum being identified as a place where such services are desirable?

I hope you are just being sarcastic because if we keep going on this trajectory and the agencies ban even more stuff then soon we will have no crypto companies or services allowed on Bitcointalk.
Sooner or later, I expect Bitcointalk to become an onion site... no more clearnet access!
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
April 16, 2024, 08:40:24 AM
I suggest that Bitcointalk ban all Defi platforms as soon as possible, and wordfilter their domains, why wait for a verdict and risk the forum being identified as a place where such services are desirable?

I hope you are just being sarcastic because if we keep going on this trajectory and the agencies ban even more stuff then soon we will have no crypto companies or services allowed on Bitcointalk.
April 16, 2024, 08:32:03 AM
DeFi was supposed to stand for "Decentralized Finance". If they can be shut down, they're not decentralized and don't deserve to use that name.

They can’t shut the platform down however they can always catch its devs and punish them. If btc becomes a problem in the future, that’s exactly what they will do to btc. (The other possibility is that they already have the btc devs on their payroll, which is not a small possibility imo)

When you connect to the internet make commits, push code to git, promote your service etc it is damn hard to stay anonymous for a long time. maybe you can stay anonymous against average people but we are talking about the gubbermints which own all the infrastructure. If they wanted to know who you are, they will know it and that’s all they need.
You're probably talking about GitHub which is centralized and owned by Microsoft.

How did Satoshi commit code during the first years? When did they start using GitHub?

Although I suppose taking down Bitcoin from GitHub could be considered a violation of free speech... perhaps...

I remember something similar about cryptography not allowed to be exported from the US back in the late 90s (Gene Hoffman had wrote a story about it). He found a clever workaround:

https://hoffmang9.github.io/free-speech/the-history-code-is-free-speech.html
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
April 16, 2024, 08:15:26 AM

You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if they call themselves they are decentralized or not and what they deserve.
It can very easily happen that domains (and everything else recognized as their resource) are seized, which will put them in the same group as mixers.

The pressure is increasing, and Bitcointalk admin & members decided to close their eyes and turn their heads.

However,  the front end can be banned, and the developers can be punished, like tornado cash...

But the smartcontract can still be used , their api is still running in ethereum blockchain for those who knows how to use it.

In that case, anyone who starts a similar service or one based on this protocol is against the law and risks sanctions.
Isn't that a similar scenario where the mixers are currently?
legendary
April 16, 2024, 05:47:42 AM

They can’t shut the platform down however they can always catch its devs and punish them. If btc becomes a problem in the future, that’s exactly what they will do to btc. (The other possibility is that they already have the btc devs on their payroll, which is not a small possibility imo)

When you connect to the internet make commits, push code to git, promote your service etc it is damn hard to stay anonymous for a long time. maybe you can stay anonymous against average people but we are talking about the gubbermints which own all the infrastructure. If they wanted to know who you are, they will know it and that’s all they need.

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
April 16, 2024, 05:45:48 AM
I agree, you are right.

However,  the front end can be banned, and the developers can be punished, like tornado cash...

But the smartcontract can still be used , their api is still running in ethereum blockchain for those who knows how to use it.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
April 16, 2024, 05:16:53 AM
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
April 16, 2024, 04:53:06 AM
Now 10 k cash or 10 crypto is equal and I need full kyc from the entity that sent me the cash or the crypto.

I'm referring to this, the rule "everything over $10k (from an unknown source) must be explained" existed long before the creation of the first mixer, nor is it specifically aimed at mixing Bitcoin.

But Kucoin is still operational and legal. It wasn't seized, and certainly it is not a darknet website like SB became.

This is the reason why mixers were banned. They are not having just small legal problems, they were getting seized and that may be a problem for the forum.

Seized, because an anonymous person is behind it. If the mixer were legal, it would also be subject to fines in the event that it does not have KYC.
The SEC is now suing Uniswap because of similar reasons and the epilogue of this will be very important for the further development of decentralization and maintaining privacy. If Uniswap loses this case (this will affect all Defi platforms), they must be closed/seized, because they have no way to implement KYC.

There is increasing pressure on privacy, it is sad to see a forum that "aims to allow about as much freedom as is reasonably possible", the first to take such drastic steps.

Not that I'm talking about this because of fucking profit from signature campaigns, the ban could only refer to promotion, it didn't have to be a complete expulsion from the forum. (I already suggested this earlier)
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
April 15, 2024, 11:39:01 PM

Well, it must be that one but I misremembered it, as I thought it was a much more recent statement and confused the word ("Bolshevik" instead of "EUSSR").

You can't really expect theymos to break the law.

I did not say that I expect him to break the law. But what was in the past a categorical statement saying that he was not going to do that if he got a requirement from Europe, as the overton window shifts it may come from the US, and so I don't think he's going to say he's going to ignore the requirements that come from USASSR.
April 15, 2024, 08:51:33 PM
I remember years ago there was an EU project to require every user to identify themselves to access online social networks that could include forums, and theymos said something like that he was not going to pay any attention if a "Bolshevik" EU requirement came for that.
You mean this statement: I intend to ignore all stupidity coming out of the EUSSR?

Maybe Bitcoin will be banned in the US someday, and then I'll have to either shut down bitcointalk.org or find a way of moving it to some remaining territory of freedom in the world. That's the problem with centralized forums. I wish that more work was being done on creating decentralized, uncensorable, but also usable forums. I would love nothing more than to be able to shut down bitcointalk.org due to some decentralized solution making it obsolete. Find me a 501(c)(3) nonprofit working on this, and I'll donate to it.

it is federal law and is a felony to receive 10000 usd worth of any crypto without reporting full kyc to the feds.
That sounds like an impossible law to follow. You have a Bitcoin address in your profile. Anyone can send you $15000, and you'll have no way to find out who it was. Then what? It's the digital equivalent of throwing a pile of money in the mailbox of a random house.

yep and you have two weeks to fill out the form and send it in to the IRS.

If you do not do it you did a felony. If you report the funds and list the sender as unknown no one know what will happen.

Here is a pool

https://pool.laurentiapool.org/#/miners

I mine here but I know he is usa based and I have pruchased 100000 worth of gear from him. So I point a miner there as I will be able to do a proper form.

here is or was my main pool

https://www.viabtc.com/

I shut my mining down because I am not sure how to comply with the law if I mine 20k a month and split 4 ways with my partners.

I don't know if viabtc will give me all the info I need to comply.

So I turned off 150000 usd in gear and I am selling it on eBay piece by piece.

The law is fucked up.

I no longer mine here

https://solo.ckpool.org

as I may not be able to comply if I hit a block.
So Satoshi is a criminal for hitting multiple 50 BTC blocks and not submitting KYC... Roll Eyes

The most ironic fact here is that the state indirectly admits that BTC has some (inherent) value.

10k worth of BTC isn't worth... zero, as no-coiners would love you to believe (reminds me of "The Fox and the Grapes" by Aesop). Cheesy

Deep inside their (depressed?) soul they know BTC is worth a lot...  Wink the market has put a price on it, even if it fluctuates on a daily basis.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
April 15, 2024, 08:35:04 PM
You can't really expect theymos to break the law. This comes to mind:
Maybe Bitcoin will be banned in the US someday, and then I'll have to either shut down bitcointalk.org or find a way of moving it to some remaining territory of freedom in the world. That's the problem with centralized forums. I wish that more work was being done on creating decentralized, uncensorable, but also usable forums. I would love nothing more than to be able to shut down bitcointalk.org due to some decentralized solution making it obsolete. Find me a 501(c)(3) nonprofit working on this, and I'll donate to it.

I still do not see the presence of mixers on the forum as a violation of the law.

Kucoin founders were recently indicted for not having KYC implemented. Is this an alarm for theymos to start banning all no-KYC services from the forum?
As far as I know, Kucoin is much more important in the crypto ecosystem than the mixers that caused the ban decision.

But Kucoin is still operational and legal. It wasn't seized, and certainly it is not a darknet website like SB became.

This is the reason why mixers were banned. They are not having just small legal problems, they were getting seized and that may be a problem for the forum.

Bitcointalk.org aims to allow about as much freedom as is reasonably possible. But this is not a darknet forum, and with mixers looking "grayer and grayer", it's no longer reasonably possible to allow linking to mixers. Even though "a cryptocurrency mixing service is not necessarily illegal," a clear pattern has emerged where mixers pop up, last for a little while, and then get taken down by law enforcement once they get too big. Allowing mixers to be posted on bitcointalk.org before they seemingly-inevitably get declared illegal and seized is not sustainable. Therefore, promoting mixers will no longer be allowed, similarly to how darknet sites are already disallowed.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 15, 2024, 06:46:17 PM
I remember years ago there was an EU project to require every user to identify themselves to access online social networks that could include forums, and theymos said something like that he was not going to pay any attention if a "Bolshevik" EU requirement came for that.
You mean this statement: I intend to ignore all stupidity coming out of the EUSSR?

it is federal law and is a felony to receive 10000 usd worth of any crypto without reporting full kyc to the feds.
That sounds like an impossible law to follow. You have a Bitcoin address in your profile. Anyone can send you $15000, and you'll have no way to find out who it was. Then what? It's the digital equivalent of throwing a pile of money in the mailbox of a random house.

yep and you have two weeks to fill out the form and send it in to the IRS.

If you do not do it you did a felony. If you report the funds and list the sender as unknown no one know what will happen.

Here is a pool

https://pool.laurentiapool.org/#/miners

I mine here but I know he is usa based and I have pruchased 100000 worth of gear from him. So I point a miner there as I will be able to do a proper form.

here is or was my main pool

https://www.viabtc.com/

I shut my mining down because I am not sure how to comply with the law if I mine 20k a month and split 4 ways with my partners.

I don't know if viabtc will give me all the info I need to comply.

So I turned off 150000 usd in gear and I am selling it on eBay piece by piece.

The law is fucked up.

I no longer mine here

https://solo.ckpool.org

as I may not be able to comply if I hit a block.

You can't really expect theymos to break the law. This comes to mind:

I still do not see the presence of mixers on the forum as a violation of the law.

Kucoin founders were recently indicted for not having KYC implemented. Is this an alarm for theymos to start banning all no-KYC services from the forum?
As far as I know, Kucoin is much more important in the crypto ecosystem than the mixers that caused the ban decision.

This forum is slowly turning into Gamblingtalk.

Aren't all money transfers over $10k, regardless of origin and whether cash or crypto under the radar of federal authorities?

no I can buy a lot of gear with a cc say 20K and no issue.

I can buy a lot of gear with a check say 30k and no issues.

Now 10 k cash or 10 crypto is equal and I need full kyc from the entity that sent me the cash or the crypto.

This is a hard ship for medium size miners like me.

Yeah a good year I get 20-30k a month sent by the pool. I have to report it on a special form within 2 weeks or a felony.
So I really get more paperwork.

I also  do not have guidance on what if avoid the 10k limit. I do 4k a week or 5k a week rather then wait for a month to move 20-30k a month.

All of this would apply to all mixer coin coming to you in the usa.

No guidance on doing 1 or 2 or 3 k a week from a mixer as to whether you are breaking the 10k rule. The US is a reporting nightmare for a guy like me. I do over 100k in coin year after year as high as 300k some year.

My profits are about 50% spilt 4 ways.

So a 300k year means 4 guys split it and they split 150k after expenses.

So for a shitty $37.5k in my pocket I may end up doing 12 or more felonies a year. Thus I ended my mining partnership.

April 15, 2024, 09:56:01 AM
Aah the United States… the big country on a big continent full of British, African and Spanish prisoners/criminals…

https://mises.org/free-market/founding-fathers-smugglers-tax-evaders-and-traitors
During patriotic holidays, the news media applaud the Founding Fathers. But rarely does anyone mention some important facts about them: that they were smugglers, tax evaders, and traitors.

The Revolution is often said to have begun in 1775 at the Battle of Lexgton. In truth, it began in the 16th century when the first colonists began traveling to the New World.

Many of these tiny, primitive vessels went down, yet as the years passed, more and more colonists risked their lives to make the journey.

Why? What in Europe could have been so horrible that rational people would risk their lives and their children's lives to escape it?

Socialism. It wasn't called socialism in those days, but that is what it was—unlimited government control and taxation of everything and everybody. There were no free markets and no free enterprise. Regardless of how honest or hard working a person was, it did him little good unless he was in bed with the government.

Where are we running to next? Another planet?

Elon???

No, nowhere to run this time. Either there will be a huge civil war and people who demand freedom will fuck these retards up or… we will suck it up like we have always been doing for the last 100 years
Australia was also founded by criminals and convicts! Iceland too by Norwegian murderers. Grin

I guess the only continent left to colonize is Antarctica (assuming the ice cap melts)...

Regarding revolutions, they're a product of "toxic masculinity" and testosterone levels have fallen quite a bit during the last 100 years. Wink
Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
April 15, 2024, 07:12:43 AM
Wasabi wallet performs blockchain analysis, that's why I asked this question but Jumbler doesn't performs that.
Both perform blockchain analysis. The difference is that Wasabi performs and funds blockchain analysis for "the sake of the children", whereas Jambler does it to ensure the investors won't cheat and earn from their investments.
Jambler performs blockchain analysis for investors' funds, it's never said that they perform blockchain analysis for mixing coins (i.e. if I send coins for mixing to one of their partner, they will not undergo blockchain analysis). At least it's never said on their and their parters' websites.

This forum is slowly turning into Gamblingtalk.
If there is an exchange that operates illegally and is in money laundering, then media will publish many articles about them and such exchanges should be banned from bitcointalk. Before such news are made, there should be no problem to promote them and talk about them.

I still maintain that the mixer ban is a long-term bad decision for the forum.
It's bad because they were paying a lot and that payrate was motivation for many good people to stay active on this forum. If we don't ban mixers, then long-term, this forum won't exist. Mixers don't follow any regulations, accept any kind of money and it's a reason for government to say that mixers participate in money laundering. So, since too many mixers help people to launder money, their existence on this forum is a serious threat.
Pages:
Jump to: