Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox account in the USA has been seized by the DHS? - page 2. (Read 25844 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Well, so no other chance for Dwolla users than buying BTC with all their MtGox balance, to then transfer those BTC to their own wallets.

What has no meaning is to exchange BTC for fiat if you use Dwolla, that's for sure.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0

Only I still trust MtGox more than any other exchange and I kinda want to keep my fiat:btc ratio at the current level. I'm almost all fiat on MtGox.

If any BTC business is "too big to fail" it's MtGox.

lol. perhaps you should look up the definition of 'too big too fail' again.  they can quit/stop/fail any time they want.

Stop trusting exchanges. it doesn't make sense.

I like what bitcoin.de is doing much more; they are not storing $$ or €€, its just a marketplace and you pay the other person directly.

Activity: 501
Merit: 500
Regardless of what you think of the situation, this coupled with the lawsuit from Coinlab may mean some serious issues for Gox in the near future.  It might be a good idea to play it safe and withdraw your funds from Gox either using an international wire transfer or just by buying bitcoins and transferring them to an address you control directly.  May prevent tears at some point in the future - no reason to risk it.

Only I still trust MtGox more than any other exchange and I kinda want to keep my fiat:btc ratio at the current level. I'm almost all fiat on MtGox.

If any BTC business is "too big to fail" it's MtGox.
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
Regardless of what you think of the situation, this coupled with the lawsuit from Coinlab may mean some serious issues for Gox in the near future.  It might be a good idea to play it safe and withdraw your funds from Gox either using an international wire transfer or just by buying bitcoins and transferring them to an address you control directly.  May prevent tears at some point in the future - no reason to risk it.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
What the heck is Dwolla? For retards that cannot fill in a wire transfer form?
Retards are those who don't want to pay expensive wire transfer fees?

Retards are the ones who continue using a company after said company declared themselves to be against everything BTC represents. That was what, 1 and a half year ago already? Huh
donkeys will be donkeys, I guess...

they also killed tradehill in the process of adding sneaky chargebacks :

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_45/tradehill-dwolla-bitcoin-exchange-digital-currency-lawsuit-1047273-1.html

see also their anti bitcoin TOS

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
I have a feeling that you can probably kiss that money good-bye ... goes for anybody with anything in Dwolla Mutum Sigilium account transiting to/from Mt. Gox.

Seizure warrants are to seize the alleged proceeds of crime before the "criminals" can have a chance to state their case in court. A sealed warrant and etc means they are going to go full "anti-terrorist" mode and do everything behind closed doors, secret courts, etc .... basically the money is gone, locked up in secret legal battles to infinity, which suits the Feds just fine.

Did you think all the Libertarians were idiotic tinfoil-hatters crying wolf about the big bad out of control govt.? Just watch.

Just to follow up on this, as I was worried about the same thing. My story begins when I transferred funds to Mt Gox's Dwolla account this morning (bad timing is an understatement).

Two hours later I get the email from Dwolla about DHS. I'm thinking, "Oh shit, there goes my money, down the money hole, to fund a massive, bloated bureaucracy no less."

A bit shaken up, I send a worried email to Gox. They respond within hours saying, "Yes, we realize what happened, we don't know anything yet, your patience is appreciated, blah blah." Now I'm making plans on how to break this to my wife, thinking I'm going to be living outside for awhile.

Then the incredible happened. Just a few hours ago, I get an email saying my account has been funded for the full amount. Thank God. I buy some cheap coins and get them the hell out of there.

I figure one of two things happened: I got lucky and the funds were transferred out in time, or Mt Gox is willing to take this one on the chin to keep existing customers. Thankfully my experience ended happily. I hope others have a similar experience.
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
They are gonna pull a bunch of interstate commerce tax laws out....
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

Do you learn to make that kind of face while on the job, or is it one of the requirements for getting hired to such a position. I've tried to make this face in front of the mirror several times now, but every time I try, I burst out in laughter, perhaps I'm simply not cut out to be holding any high ranking important position!  Grin
Hmm. That's the face I made when I read they might try using online gambling as the reason to shut Gox* down.
*Gox's Dwolla account
**Don't jump down my throat!
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Still feeling a little awkward that this is coming from an office 15 minutes away from my house...  Tongue
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Jack of oh so many trades.
Is a seizure warrant difficult to forge? 

Depends on if the person you're trying to scam has ever seen one before or not  Grin

I assume it'd be harder with a company, because people know they aren't personally at risk and would start making calls without panicking. If you showed up at someone's house at 10 pm with a bunch of uniformed officers and freaked them out, they might let you do whatever you wanted, just trying to not be taken to jail.
Activity: 868

Do you learn to make that kind of face while on the job, or is it one of the requirements for getting hired to such a position. I've tried to make this face in front of the mirror several times now, but every time I try, I burst out in laughter, perhaps I'm simply not cut out to be holding any high ranking important position!  Grin
Activity: 574
Activity: 966
Merit: 587
Next person to talk to dwolla, ask them for a case number. It should be listed on the top of the seizure warrant. If for some reason they can't/won't provide that, try to get the name of the certifying judge that signed it.

I'd call them myself but I'm not a dwolla customer.

I can find nothing showing in pacer on the docket for this.

Well, what sort of DHS action would not show a public record in PACER?  Hmmm?

I would think not - but anyone worth their salt, would check the ID's of the officer(s) servicing it, plus call DHS to confirm, and ofcourse have the approval of all board members (or some such) before it goes into effect.
Activity: 148
Merit: 100
Next person to talk to dwolla, ask them for a case number. It should be listed on the top of the seizure warrant. If for some reason they can't/won't provide that, try to get the name of the certifying judge that signed it.

I'd call them myself but I'm not a dwolla customer.

I can find nothing showing in pacer on the docket for this.

Well, what sort of DHS action would not show a public record in PACER?  Hmmm?

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
If people just stayed in bitcoin world once they accrued their coins, there wouldn't be any problem. Now that you can buy stuff using bitpay and gyff, is there any real need to switch into dollars or any other currency at all? This only affects the speculators and currency traders  - they just can't resist going back into their old world...

You... uh... do realize that the ONLY reason BitPay and Gyft work is because they can convert bitcoins into fiat, right?
Or are you just trolling?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
I have funds that are "stuck", sent money from Mt. Gox to Dwolla this afternoon.  Balance is gone from Mt. Gox but obviously isn't in Dwolla -- hopefully Mt. Gox credits my account back the withdrawal that never happened.

Same, I have a few hundred in limbo. Really wish they would just credit my account back. They have to take the hit no matter what happens to my funds in limbo, so just give me my $$ back.

I have a feeling that you can probably kiss that money good-bye ... goes for anybody with anything in Dwolla Mutum Sigilium account transiting to/from Mt. Gox.

Seizure warrants are to seize the alleged proceeds of crime before the "criminals" can have a chance to state their case in court. A sealed warrant and etc means they are going to go full "anti-terrorist" mode and do everything behind closed doors, secret courts, etc .... basically the money is gone, locked up in secret legal battles to infinity, which suits the Feds just fine.

Did you think all the Libertarians were idiotic tinfoil-hatters crying wolf about the big bad out of control govt.? Just watch.
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
I have funds that are "stuck", sent money from Mt. Gox to Dwolla this afternoon.  Balance is gone from Mt. Gox but obviously isn't in Dwolla -- hopefully Mt. Gox credits my account back the withdrawal that never happened.

Same, I have a few hundred in limbo. Really wish they would just credit my account back. They have to take the hit no matter what happens to my funds in limbo, so just give me my $$ back.
Activity: 672
Bye bye Mt Gox and Dwolla, hello Coinbase!

BTW, is Coinbase any good?  Smiley

I haven't had any issues with them.  The only thing is it takes a long time to get your coins.
I'm predicting that the official word will be that this is to stop terrorists.  That's the catchphrase everyone uses now to rally support.  Heck, even Syria's Assad calls his rebels terrorists for the same purpose.

Call me an aluminium hat wearing cray cray individual but just wait until a terrorist attack or kidnapping happens and they surprisingly find out a tie to BTC... Israel has already claimed that Bitcoin is related to terrorism and painted it in propoganda, guess some countries are getting a head start  Grin Business: Virtual terror finance

Yes - and terrorism never happened before Bitcoin..
Pages:
Jump to: