Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox account in the USA has been seized by the DHS? - page 4. (Read 25844 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Well, the Winklevii have plenty more where that came from...
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Free World
MtGox is outside the jurisdiction of the US government, they can't seize their accounts or anything of theirs at all.  Maybe the email is badly worded

TELL THAT TO MEGAUPLOADS ATTORNEY
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Hopefully wikileaks will do its thing and let us all know what really happened very soon.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
What the heck is Dwolla? For retards that cannot fill in a wire transfer form?
Retards are those who don't want to pay expensive wire transfer fees?

Just find a bank that is cheaper, and transfer larger amounts - the fee is normally the same for $10 or $500.

BTC is like a foreign currency; and you would not buy $10 worth of Euros or whatever from a bank, would you?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

Retards are the ones who continue using a company after said company declared themselves to be against everything BTC represents. That was what, 1 and a half year ago already? Huh
donkeys will be donkeys, I guess...
Activity: 493
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

In theory BTC could work without any fiat conversion at all, all that would be required is a published conversion rate, which merchants all over the world could use, to convert their fiat prices into BTC and accept it.

Somewhere in between is BTC marketplaces that just bring buyers and sellers together; then what? Will the DHS seize every bank account on the planet? Wire transfers are peer-to-peer too.

Go, retards, panic sell.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
I think this has more to do with laundering money then bitcoin, itself. Something tells me they will clear it after a couple days.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
But you need to get your fiat converted to bitcoin to begin with.  Unless you want Bitcoin to only be for the miners or only for people who sell things to people who have bitcoin.   In that case it is massive FAIL for bitcoin for anything but a very small niche market.   Of course that is what is inevitable because the big Banks will make this happen but it's definitely not a good thing.
That's the point: if the banks will make this happen anyway, no need to continue deluding ourselves.

I think it will not be a massive fail, but the exchange rate will be set against real assets, as it was in the 10k-pizza days, or whatever being sold on Bitmit and such.

More than half the Bitcoins are already out there. So, it's not only the miners that can spend them. If you have goods or services that I want, I'll pay for them with Bitcoin, even though I am not a miner. So, it might just take more time for bitcoins to spread around, but I think it won't be the massive fail you predict.
Activity: 46
"REPORT: Department Of Homeland Security Prevents Payment Provider From Transferring Money To Bitcoin Exchange"
http://www.businessinsider.com/dwolla-mt-gox-2013-5
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
I'm really shock bitcoin price hasn't crashed with this news. $119 to $114 isn't really a crash.

I wonder if we will see a slow decline over the next few days as this gets reported in the news.

This could be very bad for bitcoin if it is a sign that the US govt is cracking down. If they manage to shut down the exchanges or prevent anyone from sending US dollars to them, if could effectively kill bitcoin. And no, I don't think bitcoin can survive as a currency that exists everywhere but the US. This is scary and I'm surprised the market has not reflected this yet.

Hopefully this was because of some misuse of MtGox's dwolla account when it comes to AML regulations and not a sign of things to come.
There aren't many people using Bitcoins who aren't nerds, and we know there are many alternatives to Gox and Dwolla. I used Dwolla because it's cheap, but the Gox % fee actually makes it slower and more expensive than a wire to BFX in many cases. If they start going into exchanges' bank accounts, we go back to p2p trades, but until we know what DHS is charging, there's not reason to assume they'll go after other exchanges just because Bitcoin.
Activity: 518
Clearly you aren't an on-line merchant! No chance we'd support Bitcoin if we couldn't convert to fiat and the same will go for almost everyone out there.
Cool. Free country. (Well, not really free, but we all already knew that deep down.)

If Bitcoin without fiat is only useful for buying drugs and occasional 10k pizzas, I think it's best we find that out now. No need to waste time.

I bet it's useful for more than that though. Let's see.

But you need to get your fiat converted to bitcoin to begin with.  Unless you want Bitcoin to only be for the miners or only for people who sell things to people who have bitcoin.   In that case it is massive FAIL for bitcoin for anything but a very small niche market.   Of course that is what is inevitable because the big Banks will make this happen but it's definitely not a good thing.
Activity: 32
Clearly you aren't an on-line merchant! No chance we'd support Bitcoin if we couldn't convert to fiat and the same will go for almost everyone out there.
Cool. Free country. (Well, not really free, but we all already knew that deep down.)

If Bitcoin without fiat is only useful for buying drugs and occasional 10k pizzas, I think it's best we find that out now. No need to waste time.

I bet it's useful for more than that though. Let's see.

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
I'm really shock bitcoin price hasn't crashed with this news. $119 to $114 isn't really a crash.

I wonder if we will see a slow decline over the next few days as this gets reported in the news.

This could be very bad for bitcoin if it is a sign that the US govt is cracking down. If they manage to shut down the exchanges or prevent anyone from sending US dollars to them, if could effectively kill bitcoin. And no, I don't think bitcoin can survive as a currency that exists everywhere but the US. This is scary and I'm surprised the market has not reflected this yet.

Hopefully this was because of some misuse of MtGox's dwolla account when it comes to AML regulations and not a sign of things to come.

On the other hand, it could highlight exactly why bitcoin is useful by showcasing how it's possible, against the wishes of a government, to nearly instantly transfer value around the world without the realistic possibility of the funds getting seized.
Activity: 546

Activity: 490
... it only gets better...
So WTF Dwolla, are you now retroactively canceling our cleared payments from over 1 year ago (ala "Tradehill")??

Hahaha... seems like someone is trying to win some time here...
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
I'm predicting that the official word will be that this is to stop terrorists.  That's the catchphrase everyone uses now to rally support.  Heck, even Syria's Assad calls his rebels terrorists for the same purpose.

Call me an aluminium hat wearing cray cray individual but just wait until a terrorist attack or kidnapping happens and they surprisingly find out a tie to BTC... Israel has already claimed that Bitcoin is related to terrorism and painted it in propoganda, guess some countries are getting a head start  Grin Business: Virtual terror finance

Well pretty much anything that goes against the corporate interests that dictate policy to the US gov is 'terrorism'.

I always expected BTC to be tied to the blood-drinking terrorists boogeymen at some point, because banks don't want to loose their monopoly on currency.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
I do not really care much about getting dollars from MtGox. But I mainly use MtGox to transfer my government currency to bitcoins. They have been the cheapest, 25 cents for Dwolla plus .5% at MtGox.

Has CoinBase gotten their act together to allow for larger purchases?

Transferring $1 out of MtGox to Dwolla to test this out btw.

The max limit is still 50BTC per day.  It used to be 100BTC before the price rise.

send them to my account. I can withdraw 1000 BTC per day. Grin
It's wonderful not being an americunt. lol

I'm American (F U btw) and my BTC withdrawal limit has been set to 1000 BTC/day since my Gox account was verified 6 months ago.

DIE AMERICUNT!
Activity: 742
Circle gets the Square
STILL no response from MtGox on the issue, despite people berating them on FB and twitter
Activity: 493
What does that have to do with currant affairs?
I think it's salent.

/OK, I had to pick a French word to play, but what the hell
Pages:
Jump to: