Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 310. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
August 19, 2013, 04:09:11 AM
*  Very few Japanese investors are aware of the current opportunities to take advantage of it yet -- but this is changing, as can be seen as the raising number of JPY on mtgox recently.
Looks like this is changing.  BTC/JPY volume at MtGox last 24h is more than 1/4 of BTC/USD volume at Bitstamp, and rivals BTC/USD volume at BTC-E.  Not all of this is going to withdrawal of course, but I assume a large part of it is.  At 14% price difference, some are looking at a huge profit.  Probably still not enough to equalize the prices, but perhaps enough to reduce the difference somewhat.
Activity: 609
Merit: 505
August 19, 2013, 04:00:52 AM
Quote from: zeroblock link=topic=179586.msg2961957#msg2961957

The point is that no one is doing arb trading otherwise the spread wouldn't exist! (or it is probably some whales with priority wires taking advantage of the spread).  So in the context of tracking the price variance, one would choose daily values since this variance has existed for over 2 months.

If no one is doing arbitrage trade, prices on other exchanges wont be following the same upward (and even downward) trend as gox.

Let's assume that the people that are willing to suffer lost and buy coins on mtgox at inflated price are in need of their cash (instead of waiting for 8-12 weeks to get the money via the withdrawal queue)

If many such panic gox buyers are now selling their coins or other exchanges, the proper market behavior we should see is that other exchanges price will go down -- not staying stable, nor increase in price.

The reality:

*  Arbitrage trade is happening
*  More panic buyers than arbitrage traders
*  Very few Japanese investors are aware of the current opportunities to take advantage of it yet -- but this is changing, as can be seen as the raising number of JPY on mtgox recently.

I think this is a pretty good analysis. If this is true, and the 10 swift wire transfer limit is also true, then this should also cause the queue to shorten / quicken, as people cancel their withdrawals and buy bitcoin instead.
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
August 19, 2013, 03:55:01 AM
Quote from: zeroblock link=topic=179586.msg2961957#msg2961957

The point is that no one is doing arb trading otherwise the spread wouldn't exist! (or it is probably some whales with priority wires taking advantage of the spread).  So in the context of tracking the price variance, one would choose daily values since this variance has existed for over 2 months.

If no one is doing arbitrage trade, prices on other exchanges wont be following the same upward (and even downward) trend as gox.

Let's assume that the people that are willing to suffer lost and buy coins on mtgox at inflated price are in need of their cash (instead of waiting for 8-12 weeks to get the money via the withdrawal queue)

If many such panic gox buyers are now selling their coins or other exchanges, the proper market behavior we should see is that other exchanges price will go down -- not staying stable, nor increase in price.

The reality:

*  Arbitrage trade is happening
*  More panic buyers than arbitrage traders

Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
August 19, 2013, 03:44:55 AM
I just don't understand why more people aren't able to get domestic japanese accounts. If I had a japanese account i would be moving far more than 50-100k a day ...
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
August 19, 2013, 03:24:27 AM
The most accurate way to plot the variance would be to take daily weighted price.  Choosing the smoothed data is much better than plotting variations on the minute by minute or hour by hour. 
No, it's just different. If you want to do arbitrage trading then tracking second to second variation will give you the best result.

The point is that no one is doing arb trading otherwise the spread wouldn't exist! (or it is probably some whales with priority wires taking advantage of the spread).  So in the context of tracking the price variance, one would choose daily values since this variance has existed for over 2 months.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1437
https://bitmynt.no
August 19, 2013, 03:17:50 AM
The point is that no one is doing arb trading otherwise the spread wouldn't exist!
Oh, yes.  Some people are, but not enough.  Check JPY volume.  Domestic JPY withdrawal is next day, but SWIFT transfer to other exchanges take some time.  Looks like between 50k and 100k USD are transferred via JPY every day.
Activity: 238
August 19, 2013, 03:05:10 AM
The most accurate way to plot the variance would be to take daily weighted price.  Choosing the smoothed data is much better than plotting variations on the minute by minute or hour by hour. 
No, it's just different. If you want to do arbitrage trading then tracking second to second variation will give you the best result.

The point is that no one is doing arb trading otherwise the spread wouldn't exist! (or it is probably some whales with priority wires taking advantage of the spread).  So in the context of tracking the price variance, one would choose daily values since this variance has existed for over 2 months.
August 19, 2013, 02:42:26 AM
WHOA! The bank run is starting!
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2013, 02:42:15 AM
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2013, 02:21:46 AM
It's starting to be exciting.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
August 19, 2013, 02:04:24 AM
The spread just took a big jump.

▲ mtgoxUSD    118.9900    
▲ bitstampUSD 99.9900

Spread: 19%

What happened?

As each day passes, and MtGox is no nearer getting back to normal withdrawal times, the market is slowly ratcheting up the probability of their sudden closure. Any fiat and coins will then be trapped. MtGox has prior form when it comes to not releasing other people's property:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-biggest-thief-in-the-bitcoinica-debacle-mtgox-260225
legendary
Activity: 1204
August 19, 2013, 01:59:25 AM
The spread just took a big jump.

▲ mtgoxUSD    118.9900    
▲ bitstampUSD 99.9900

Spread: 19%

What happened?
August 18, 2013, 03:32:19 PM
Must have been taken just after some large trade.  Here are my samples from the time around my post (timestamps in CET):
20:12 mtgox premium over bitstamp is currently 9.43015538326 %.
20:53 mtgox premium over bitstamp is currently 9.80714742711 %.
22:18 mtgox premium over bitstamp is currently 9.15855226897 %.

Currently:
07:18 mtgox premium over bitstamp is currently 9.95425434584 %.

Far below the 12% to 14% from a couple of days ago.

That is a lie.  Those numbers are completely fabricated, or chosen as the lowest values in a minute by minute range.  Mt.Gox/Bitstamp variance hasn't been lower than 10% since 8/9. 

These values were taken from Bitcoincharts.com.  Would you like to provide your source? I'd love to see it.
I thought my source was well known, and I already provided it.  gribble is a bot in #bitcoin-otc and other Bitcoin related channels on freenode.  It fetches the tickers from both exchanges and calculates the difference.  It works with several exchanges.  E.g:

09:35 ;;premium bitstamp btce
09:35 bitstamp premium over btce is currently 2.01656900384 %.

The samples were taken at random times.  The samples in your graph seems to be very far apart, and is certainly not accurate enough to prove anyone a liar.

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv
Activity: 609
Merit: 505
August 18, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
Does anybody know how much was seized by the feds in the Dwolla / Mutum Sigillum incident?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1059
August 18, 2013, 08:45:13 AM
Arbitragemillions which could come handy to Gox e.g. in order to counterbalance Dwolla seizure and pay for legal expenses?

All members of Mt. Gox are prohibited by Japanese law to trade on their own market. That would be insider trading and thus a criminal offense. Gox has always stressed, that they don't do it.

There are simply too many conspiracy theories. Even if Gox suddenly pay off everyone it would interpreted negatively. I'm sure at 100%.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
August 18, 2013, 08:32:44 AM
The jp transfers might make it in 2 or 3 days until perhaps some day they don't. Who knows for sure anything what is actually going on?

in any case, having a bank account in Japan could be worth arbitragemillions

Arbitragemillions which could come handy to Gox e.g. in order to counterbalance Dwolla seizure and pay for legal expenses?

Can't help thinking there is a possibility that we all are being played big time.
Might be harsh but after all we are moving in libertarian fuckall territory.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1059
August 18, 2013, 08:21:16 AM
The jp transfers might make it in 2 or 3 days until perhaps some day they don't. Who knows for sure anything what is actually going on?

In think with an account in Germany is possible too. Albeit much more modest.  Smiley

See:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/arbitrage-uber-bitcoinde-sicherheit-276993
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2013, 07:49:09 AM

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2013, 07:41:27 AM
This is the Week. I'm transferring everything I've got with MTgox  to Bitstamp by the end of the week.  I've stopped trading at MTgox last week.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
★☆★777Coin★☆★
August 18, 2013, 07:36:41 AM
Jump to: