Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 84. (Read 908607 times)

Activity: 217
Merit: 101
February 26, 2014, 03:37:41 PM
Sorry for offtopic but this may help some stressed enough bitcoiners. The bitcointalk users are receiving a virus emails from info @mtgox com proposing to sign attached document to get funds back. Do not open. The relay is smtp.com.
Activity: 450
Merit: 250
February 26, 2014, 02:52:43 PM
What sucks even more is we cant get any facts.
That would probably be the best reason to file suit right now.

Even if a monetary recovery is impossible, the discovery process should at least finally bring everything out in the light so we can see just what happened to bring about the collapse.

=squeak=
Activity: 434
February 26, 2014, 02:34:09 PM
having the funds or not having the funds is irrelivent. If gox are sued and a court awards damages, those damages will have to be paid, even if it means Mark K's mummy selling her condo/yacht/theme park on the moon.
This is a very strong and totally wrong assumption.

First, there are some kinds of company (such as LLC) that eat up all debt and the owners are safe whatever happens.

Second, even if it's not the case, if the owner just doesn't have that much money, he doesn't, and you'll still get nothing.

Exactly, and that leads to the conclusion that to sue a totally blank company makes no sense, cause there isnt anything to get.

Ofcourse all under the precondition that we do KNOW what the financial condition is.

The fact is we know nothing of fact. sue.

We won't know anything of fact until an official authority makes a statement. this will happen. there won't be a buyer for gox. law authorities/IRS or similar will give us the facts, long after the 'we still don't know' phase, and if gox are not sued, then the future earnings of those concerned, is safe as houses.

I see no reason why anyone would be of the (sane) mind that suing a company who has stolen your money, is not a good idea  Huh
You can make assumptions until doomsday, but without a day in court, you will still be looking forward to doomsday.
Activity: 294
February 26, 2014, 02:29:32 PM
having the funds or not having the funds is irrelivent. If gox are sued and a court awards damages, those damages will have to be paid, even if it means Mark K's mummy selling her condo/yacht/theme park on the moon.

First, there are some kinds of company (such as LLC) that eat up all debt and the owners are safe whatever happens.

Second, even if it's not the case, if the owner just doesn't have that much money, he doesn't, and you'll still get nothing.

Exactly, and that leads to the conclusion that to sue a totally blank company makes no sense, cause there isnt anything to get.

Ofcourse all under the precondition that we do KNOW what the financial condition is.

February 26, 2014, 02:27:23 PM

but I have to say, you are thinking with a clear-cut ideology - and I should say that you are being slightly idiosyncratic in saying that; you can't sue anyone who has no money. A court will order future earnings seized (which would include money from the sale of the business, personal assets and anything else invested in the company.) life is not so simple to just say, nah don't bother suing someone because they have no money. I say, sue the arse off the fat f*cker.
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
February 26, 2014, 02:23:41 PM

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
February 26, 2014, 02:20:06 PM

February 26, 2014, 02:17:30 PM
any acquirer of gox would be legally bound to take on ALL the debt. not just a portion of it. If the company is so much in the quagmire that those debts are unsaleable, either current gox, or future gox would be forced into administration, and could write-off/CVA a lot of the debt. this would be the worst case scenario.
That would be true of a purchaser acquiring the company as a whole, outright... but if Gox was selling off assets in pieces, the debt would remain with Gox.
This is why it's important to put Gox into involuntary bankruptcy - to prevent "dissipation of assets" and take control away from Mt. Gox management.
After the apparent incompetence and apathy on behalf of those in charge, that led up to this situation over so long a period of time, I would have a hard time disagreeing with this sentiment.

=squeak=
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
February 26, 2014, 02:14:34 PM
any acquirer of gox would be legally bound to take on ALL the debt. not just a portion of it. If the company is so much in the quagmire that those debts are unsaleable, either current gox, or future gox would be forced into administration, and could write-off/CVA a lot of the debt. this would be the worst case scenario.
That would be true of a purchaser acquiring the company as a whole, outright... but if Gox was selling off assets in pieces, the debt would remain with Gox.
This is why it's important to put Gox into involuntary bankruptcy - to prevent "dissipation of assets" and take control away from Mt. Gox management.
February 26, 2014, 01:05:50 PM
... i doubt, even gox would be so stupid to sell all but the debt. then again...
...two years... so... .. .

=squeak=
February 26, 2014, 12:49:28 PM

=squeak=

Yes. In most cases however, it has proved more beneficial to take on the debt and then CVA it to the lowest possible payment plan. It would truly be interesting if gox were able to sell of portions of the business and retain the debt. I would surmise that any deal would be negotiable only if the debt was saleable/sold on. i doubt, even gox would be so stupid to sell all but the debt. then again...

Undecided

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 26, 2014, 12:43:46 PM
No. it needs pointing out that just taking peoples funds is not acceptable and a lawsuit should be filed (last week)

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, proving a point is so much more important than having an actual chance to get your money back Smiley

if that's your take on it. so do nothing and have absolutely no chance of seeing your funds, the choice is your own.

A lawsuit won't help, and I personally don't care about proving points. Remember the tilt poker controversy? Another poker company bought it so the customers could get their funds. That won't happen with gox if lawsuits are going to hit, but I understand sueing is like the only and ultimate solution for most americans... Smiley
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
February 26, 2014, 12:42:43 PM
I am a verified customer and I have about 20 btc trapped in mtgox. I tried to withdraw as soon as I found out about btc delays. I wasn't really planning on pursuing any of legal action until I saw that shit has really hit the fan. Now that it has, does anyone have any advice of where to start in the long journey to possibly getting my coins back/punishing mtgox for this injustice?

From what I understand, if Mtgox closes for a month and covers its liabilities through all of the measures outlined in that document, there is a chance that some of us with get our money back? What are the chances of that actually happening?

Bout the same chance as pigs flying and hell freezing over
February 26, 2014, 12:41:11 PM

=squeak=
February 26, 2014, 12:34:57 PM
But... why didn't they just hire sturle to do PR?

I thought they did.
 Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 26, 2014, 12:33:00 PM
Can we get sturle back in here to complain about "signal to noise" in this thread?

Haha, it's all noise now.  SCREAMING.

Where you at sturle?

Simply hiding as he could not take the truth.

The "noise" he speaks of is the TRUTH. He can't handle it.
February 26, 2014, 12:28:45 PM
No. it needs pointing out that just taking peoples funds is not acceptable and a lawsuit should be filed (last week)

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, proving a point is so much more important than having an actual chance to get your money back Smiley

if that's your take on it. so do nothing and have absolutely no chance of seeing your funds, the choice is your own.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 26, 2014, 12:26:26 PM
Does anyone know if sturle is ok?

Pretty comical when bitstamp went down for a couple of days sturle was on here crowing that I told you so, its not just gox that was affected lolol.

Yup and MR. STURLE will not admit to that.

The guy is scummy and obviously was a paid shill for gox or at least had a huge interest in not having them fail.

Oops looks like Gox got GOXXED.  Roll Eyes

Sturle I'm still trying to get a letter from my mum for you ....lulz
Pages:
Jump to: