Pages:
Author

Topic: New Drama from BitcoinASIC - page 5. (Read 21843 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 07, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
I just heard from the bank, my credit will be issued back to my credit card.  I called the Police because of the threats to his family.  I don't know what really happened but the whole things sounds more like a screw-up than a deliberate scam.

Given it a screw-up label, for sake of argument, aren't screw-ups addressed in a timely manner? Or did I miss the memo stating that hiding from screw-ups in the new norm? Missing that paradigm shift if quite possible on my part, for I've been busy lately.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 07, 2013, 08:45:14 PM
Is the police responsible to investigate when they get a notice about a large scale fraud or is selling a product, get paid with a non-standard currency and never deliver anything legal in the US? Will there be an official investigation?

I doubt local police would get involved, but an agency like the SEC might if the value is large enough.  I don't think it matters whether that value is in USD or not.

I may have to beg to differ on this, SS.

I'm sure we've all seen, heard, read, etc., accounts of scams taking place via phone, now net, preying mainly on the elderly, but other demographics apply. The local paper does a little write-up on said scams, advising its citizens to contact the local police department, anonymously, if anybody has information. There hope is to nap the guy(s)/gal(s) before further damage is done in the respected community.

Likewise, if you see a theft committed of some other person, the police will not decide to not investigate because it's not your property at stake. Furthermore, if you know of a person who has stolen property, even though it's not your property, you're obligated to inform the police department. This is true even if the thief hasn't yet been reported, let alone not yet in the court systems, regardless of what jurisdiction the items were stolen from. In this case, it's documented and trackable wealth stolen from citizens from across the globe.

An example, to possibly drive the point home. I go to Indiana and visit a fellow Bitcoiner. During the visit, I stealing something from his home he yet has discovered missing. Back in Illinois, another fellow Bitcoiner visits my home and somehow notices that I have stolen property in my possession belonging to the other Bitcoiner in Indiana. The Bitcoiner in Indiana is now currently on safari in Africa, and will remain out of pocket for at least a couple more months. Meanwhile, it's a known fact, I'm moving soon.

Given the above, the Bitcoiner who visited my home is obligated to contact the police, stating his case. At this point, the police may take possession of said stolen item, informing me that I will get it back once the safari guy returns and proves that this is all a misunderstanding. No real harm for all parties occurred, and all are protected.

In Tom's case, the proof is overwhelming, and for the police not to act accordingly would not bode well for their department.

Bottom line, real wealth was transferred via wire under false pretense, and the scam is continuing to this day, but now incorporating identity theft, a felony.

To me, if convicted, Tom Van Riper may not see his children grow up, and all the college degrees he's earned would be for naught. Now, imagine being in his shoes. You think you pulled the perfect crime, but compounded it, and now you're scared to death. Personally, if I pulled such a stunt, not a single family member would come to my rescue, regardless of what I may have done for them in the past. I can't see anybody having 100% support from their family if they pulled such a ruse.

Tom Van Riper is not in a happy place now, for he inevitable knows that his perhaps once good name is forever tarnished.

~Bruno K~
Activity: 234
Merit: 105
February 07, 2013, 08:41:27 PM
NEW THEORY: Tom isn't scamming... he lost the password to the big wallet. Alcohol and advanced encryption don't mix.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
February 07, 2013, 07:00:16 PM
Is the police responsible to investigate when they get a notice about a large scale fraud or is selling a product, get paid with a non-standard currency and never deliver anything legal in the US? Will there be an official investigation?

I doubt local police would get involved, but an agency like the SEC might if the value is large enough.  I don't think it matters whether that value is in USD or not.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 07, 2013, 06:57:39 PM

A business venture gone bad is not necessarily a fraud.  Pretending to be another company and using their credentials without their knowledge or credentials certainly opens one up to potential criminal charges but that's most likely to be investigated if and when Ari Asmar files an official complaint. 

This has been so poorly executed that it's extremely unlikely anyone has actually sent any funds to the fraudulent "re-branded" company and I have no idea of how highly attempted fraud is going to rate on any investigator's list of priorities.

In many cases, you're just going to be shit out of luck if you've paid a company for a product with an irreversible payment method (meaning pretty much anything other than CC or PayPal) and the company goes bust before delivery.  While you're free to obtain a judgement against them for the amount owed (assuming they don't seek insolvency protection), judgements against small business are often effectively unenforceable because small business owners often put all their liquid assets into starting their business, borrow against their homes, run up their credit cards, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253
February 07, 2013, 06:27:54 PM
legendary
February 07, 2013, 01:37:23 PM
He doesn't appear to be watching this thread...

"Last Active:    January 22, 2013, 09:16:33 PM"

That doesn't mean much. If you remember, that account was blocked for "being hacked". He's more likely here with another account altogether. Or not signed in at all.
Good point.  I didn't remember that.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
February 07, 2013, 12:12:18 PM

That doesn't mean much. If you remember, that account was blocked for "being hacked". He's more likely here with another account altogether. Or not signed in at all.
legendary
February 07, 2013, 12:05:54 PM

legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
February 07, 2013, 11:57:14 AM
Start praying Tom, we want our coins back.

Thou shall not steal, motherfucker.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Love the Bitcoin.
Love the Bitcoin.
February 07, 2013, 11:40:43 AM
Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can [...]

||bit

No patsy.. he has always been very public about himself (a huge mistake in a con/scam, so take that with a grain of salt).

You can compare videos posted on YouTube, BTCFPGA MMQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoDeOCgJKs

Compared to him preaching gospel as Joel310Ministries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbPAcBAphU

Pesonal YT channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/offthefed/videos
is no longer online, so..
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TEVTXxUemdcJ:www.youtube.com/user/offthefed/videos+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
You can see Tom, wife Amy and son Ben in the video thumbnails.

Pesonal G+ channel:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100481502635276052436/albums/profile
You can see Tom, wife Amy and daughter Lillyanna in photos, and he's friends with Dave Carlson.
Love the Bitcoin.
February 07, 2013, 10:52:20 AM
I'm all for going after scammers as aggressively as possible, but you might want to do a little more research before you post the name and address of some quite possibly unrelated person.

Anything whatsoever to suggest that the two live(d) there at the same time, or know each other? Or did you find some woman's name related to that address, and you're just running it up the flag poll?

What are you suggesting ?

This picture of Tom was taken at this location and now we learned that Amy Van Riper [29] also lives there. (what's the source of this last part of information?)

Those seeking proof can turn to public sources:

Amy A. (Suppes) Van Riper

https://plus.google.com/105139826715061374299/photos
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Suppes&global=true&sns9=t40#New York
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Vanriper&sns9=t40&global=true#Hannibal,+NY:2162483267
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Van+Riper,+Fulton,+NY&sns9=t40#:17977904071
http://www.instantcheckmate.com/search/resultsAPI/NY/Vanriper/Amy
http://obits.syracuse.com/obituaries/syracuse/obituary-print.aspx?n=charmaine-stiles-moonie&pid=159889538

Tom and Amy have 4 children: Joseph Suppes (from Amy's prior relationship/marriage), Thomas M. Van Riper, Benjamin Neal Van Riper and LillyAnna Charmaine Van Riper (youngest, only daughter and in the picture with BITCOIN license plate).

http://www.ariseinc.org/pdfs/Unique2009.pdf
Reflections of the Willows
Amy Van Riper, 28, was sitting on a bench as the sun rose when she took “Reflections of the  willows.” She believes the photograph expresses calmness and serenity. Amy lives in Hannibal with her husband and three children. Amy embraces her disability and says that “it opens up my mind and eyes to see things as a form of art.”

Amy A Vanriper
Home (315) 402-2448
186 Rathburn Rd, Lot 16
Fulton, NY 13069-4169

PO Box 246
Hannibal, NY 13074-0246

121 Lyon St
Fulton, NY 13069-2910

Other Addresses:
Pollard Rd, Lot 5, Hannibal, NY
Emery St, Fulton, NY
legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
February 07, 2013, 07:02:26 AM
I'm all for going after scammers as aggressively as possible, but you might want to do a little more research before you post the name and address of some quite possibly unrelated person.

Anything whatsoever to suggest that the two live(d) there at the same time, or know each other? Or did you find some woman's name related to that address, and you're just running it up the flag poll?

What are you suggesting ?

This picture of Tom was taken at this location and now we learned that Amy Van Riper [29] also lives there. (what's the source of this last part of information?)

Activity: 163
February 07, 2013, 04:08:49 AM
I believe this picture of Cablepair / Thomas Van Riper was taken at this location.

Does anyone know if he still stays at this location ?

The Fulton address comes up positive for a person named Amy [C.] Vanriper. She is 29 years old. About the same age as Tom. Perhaps, his sister or wife.
Associated with the same address is the name Jeremy Wallace that is about ten years older or so which is possibly old data.

Well, now it's known where the lawyers can start looking.

Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can do himself a big favor by updating people on the status of all the returns. Like how many are to process, and his daily progress...etc.. Silence on the issue only builds frustration with the people that already got screwed over.

||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506
February 07, 2013, 02:54:24 AM
I believe this picture of Cablepair / Thomas Van Riper was taken at this location.

Does anyone know if he still stays at this location ?

The Fulton address comes up positive for a person named Amy [C.] Vanriper. She is 29 years old. About the same age as Tom. Perhaps, his sister or wife.
Associated with the same address is the name Jeremy Wallace that is about ten years older or so which is possibly old data.

Well, now it's known where the lawyers can start looking.

Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can do himself a big favor by updating people on the status of all the returns. Like how many are to process, and his daily progress...etc.. Silence on the issue only builds frustration with the people that already got screwed over.

||bit

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
February 07, 2013, 01:13:54 AM
Where are the mods who believe his account was hacked?

Idiots..
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
February 07, 2013, 12:19:33 AM
Is there a way someone more technically competent than me can make a copy of the BitcoinASIC.net website in case the scammers decide to tske it down in a hurry?
You can do it yourself using HTTrack.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 06, 2013, 09:17:41 PM

The only known scammer that didn't suffer such humiliation was Tom Williams.

I doubt those people who are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of other people's money are too concerned by the "humiliation" of a scammer tag (something Zhou doesn't have, incidentally).

I'm not even sure how I would approach this from a legal standpoint. Who does one contact? Surely not the police. The FBI would get involved if it can be shown that mail fraud has been committed. What's interesting is this... if the FBI determine that the bitcoins are not real money or something liek that and the only thing he has to re-imburse are bitcoins. That will suck fro Tom since the price are probably on average double since he accepted most of them.

A failed business is not the same thing as a fraud.  Whether Tom is operating as an LLC or as a sole trader, he has legal protections open to him if he personally or his business are insolvent.  The vast majority of the time, unsecured creditors can expect to receive little or nothing when the assets of a failed business are liquidated.  People can certainly pursue judgements against him in NY, but obtaining a judgement is not the same as being able to enforce it.

The pretending to be another company is going to fall under various fraud laws and is very likely a criminal offence.  There's a website whose name escapes me at the moment where you file a complaint in respect of computer related crime in the US and it gets forwarded to the appropriate government agency for follow up.  Someone else might recall their URL.

A question which remains unaddressed is the identity of the original investors in the bASIC project and the nature of their involvement - depending on how that investment was structured, they may also have legal liability in relation to the bASIC project.

Is there a way someone more technically competent than me can make a copy of the BitcoinASIC.net website in case the scammers decide to tske it down in a hurry?
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Pages:
Jump to: