Pages:
Author

Topic: NEW info. Everyone is lying about ther ASIC project - page 6. (Read 26577 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Hopefully we can see shipments start to go out between the 24th and 31st...if not, refunds on January 1st were promised to be available.

They've already said it's going to be at least another 30 days (whether that's when they expect the chips to be completed or when they expect to receive them isn't clear).

They've also said that anyone who wants a refund can have one now.

Unofficial yet...but I was referring to "Assuming that date is correct, we would contractually have the chips in bulk no later than the 24th" on https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/251-more-jalapeno-pictures-shipping-update-44.html

Thanks for the update Smiley was unaware of the change in refund policy.

10 December update.

After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update.html

From Jody's blog regarding refunds.

If we have extended our date beyond your ability to stick with us, we at Customer Service are ready to refund money for those who want to get out of the line.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/55-so-we-get-have-holiday.html
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
Hopefully we can see shipments start to go out between the 24th and 31st...if not, refunds on January 1st were promised to be available.

They've already said it's going to be at least another 30 days (whether that's when they expect the chips to be completed or when they expect to receive them isn't clear).

Unofficial yet...but I was referring to "Assuming that date is correct, we would contractually have the chips in bulk no later than the 24th" on https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/251-more-jalapeno-pictures-shipping-update-44.html

Thanks for the update Smiley was unaware of the change in refund policy.
Activity: 868

Activity: 47
Activity: 56
I don't think they lied.  They are just making projections. 
Most new products without a large customer base are too agressive on their projections it seems.
Well, that's capitalism. Take chances, win big or lose your money.

If BFL does have ASICs, then the people who put their money on the line in pre-orders are going to have a heyday when it first gets released and the difficulty hasn't increased yet. The people who decided to wait will still have a chance to mine, but not until after the difficulty has ramped up.

If BFL doesn't have the ASICs... well. That's highly unfortunate, but hey; you're working with experimental technology that works with a relatively experimental e-currency, you have to expect that things might not turn out according to plan. Invest at your own risk.

I haven't pre-ordered (Although I gave the Jalapeno some serious thought with the low starting price), so I think I'll see how it works when the first people begin to get theirs and think about it.

I don't think BFL's behavior is capitalist, nor is this affair a capitalist affair.  It depends, right?  If BFL ever delivers, then this affair was only a bad investment (I'll leave it to the finance experts to figure out why).  If BFL does not deliver, then this affair was an example of fraud.  Fraud is not capitalism.  Investments are.  So the jury's still out.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
Hopefully they don't have any issues with assembly.

At least not yet Wink

At the moment they have problems with the chip itself (they also admitted this. finally, after tons of bullshit excuses). Hence the need for a rev2 (or even 3, or 4 ... who knows).

Problems with assembly can still come after that ...
There are usually working samples made before final fabrication to make sure you are getting what you want.  I would imagine that they should have at least 1 working prototype right now ...

They don't have a working prototype. They already admitted that.

I know, and that's the thing that is the most worrisome about the whole thing.   Hopefully they don't have any issues with assembly.
Activity: 416
Merit: 250
There are usually working samples made before final fabrication to make sure you are getting what you want.  I would imagine that they should have at least 1 working prototype right now ...

They don't have a working prototype. They already admitted that.
A new case rev takes us between 2 and 5 days to go from design document to product in hand.  It's not really an issue.

So I assume on the day the little Chinese leprechauns bring you your ASICs all the other problems, redesigns, difficulties in delivery, etc. are solved mysteriously and the "magic" (aka everything is working together nicely) happens. Somehow. And one day later your have a working product that you can ship. Yes?

Of anything, this is what I think worries me the most.  There are usually working samples made before final fabrication to make sure you are getting what you want.  I would imagine that they should have at least 1 working prototype right now that they should be showcasing even if it isn't a final design with final performance.  A ton of things can go wrong once they finally have all of the pieces together and ready for assembly . . . then again that might be why we are delayed up till this point now.  For the most part we haven't heard a real story as to the exact nature of the delay.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
Or as Inaba would say: "OK BFL sucks. But bASIC/Tom sucks even more".
Or like Hitler would have said: "OK I suck. But Stalin sucks even more".

I'm invoking Godwin's Law.  This debate is over, please lock the thread.

Smiley
Activity: 46
Under some Mexican lady's name whaaa!? lmfao this a joke.

BFL doesn't want there rival  company's to get the best of there information and what they have had worked and paid for just like any other company, Sony, Microsoft Etc. as small as the information it might be but anything that might be used against BFL, BFL would rather not take a chance and Disclose the information, if you don't like it, take your money some where else, new product lines come out every week from big name company's and you don't see people going nuts over little information that is not given. and honestly there trying to build there company up, would it kill anyone to keep a little information away from public? i don't think so.
Activity: 1232
Alexander KOSTIN | GoldMint
But many video games (GTA V and Duke Nukem) for example blow past the expected release dates.. Tesla cars same thing.. endless list of collectibles do the same.

Two wrongs doesn't make one right ...

Well of course not. But to call them liars and flame them doesn't seem to be helpful either.

But our current society of "I want it TODAY or else I'm going to rage to try and get something free" isn't helping anyone and that time could be better spent.. you know.. going outside, learning something new, maybe help an old lady across the street.. almost anything else you could possibly think of.

They get the point that customers are upset and are probably upset themselves at all the delays caused by the suppliers. Which if you watch shows such as Shark Tank / Dragon's Den you will understand more about the troubles ALL businesses come into.
But many video games (GTA V and Duke Nukem) for example blow past the expected release dates.. Tesla cars same thing.. endless list of collectibles do the same.

Two wrongs doesn't make one right ...
Activity: 1232
Alexander KOSTIN | GoldMint
So I've been reading the BFL forums for a while now and got to thinking about past products and honestly the only -mistake- BFL has made here is requiring 100% of the money before they are remotely ready to ship.

Honestly, every company has unforeseen delays just seems you guys are more impatient then the rest of the world purchasing other products with delays.
A new case rev takes us between 2 and 5 days to go from design document to product in hand.  It's not really an issue.

So I assume on the day the little Chinese leprechauns bring you your ASICs all the other problems, redesigns, difficulties in delivery, etc. are solved mysteriously and the "magic" (aka everything is working together nicely) happens. Somehow. And one day later your have a working product that you can ship. Yes?
legendary
Activity: 1260
I've had to deal with fabrication before, and I can tell you that several of my designs wound up changing at the 11th hour before production.

For BFL it just seems that almost all parts are changed at the 11th hour. Their ASICs even in the 13th hour. Which lets the chance of getting a working product approach zero.
I've had to deal with fabrication before, and I can tell you that several of my designs wound up changing at the 11th hour before production.

I don't know what will go into the assembly of this unit, but hopefully they can turn everything around fairly quickly once they have the chips in hand, which for them is the hard part.

I wish they had all of the parts on hand now and ready to ship, but I'll be patient.  I'm confident that they will eventually ship . . . eventually.
Pages:
Jump to: