Pages:
Author

Topic: Number 9! Ninth altcoin thread. Back to the moon Baby! - page 11. (Read 66174 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1007
Out of curiosity, would you still recommend the L3+? As I've got my 3 out of retirement to run a bit more and expect to re-retire them by November when the L7+'s will hit the market (or October when Bitmain is "testing" them). But that's with 15-20 cents EUR electric pricing, for most of the year. If the difficulty will triple (which is the lowest of my expectations) unless LTC goes 3 times up, I don't see them running much longer.
To be honest, I doubt that the cost of Litecoin will triple, otherwise the capitalization of the entire market should be 5 or 6 trilons, which seems to me a colossal figure. So I suppose L3 + will become obsolete by this time ... especially considering the very high cost of electricity. By the way, when you talked about Bitman, what did you mean? It's just that I have heard more than once from different people the myth that before the delivery of equipment, Bitman uses new equipment for some time, in fact, sending the used goods.

Well, LTC has been double today's price before, but yeah, triple would be a stretch.

Regarding Bitmain, I've seen from several people that they got machines that had dust on the fans when taken out of the box. Haven't had this myself, but I'm not a hardware buyer. Plus there have been reports on spikes in difficulty up to a month before shipping was scheduled for the first batch. No hard evidence, at least not of recent date.

From a QC perspective, you'd want each machine to run at least a day to verify nothing is the matter, the question is how long they "take" this "day" for testing. I could argue 7 days is a reasonable testing period too for quality control with mining machines like these.

Then, from a business perspective, it would be insane not to have machines you promised to deliver 3 weeks from that day run as part of the "quality control" when they're basically printing money at a 4 times higher rate than any other machine on the market.

So summarizing, I'd be surprised if they didn't do any runs before shipment.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
I am not surprised that people are easily getting their phone SIM-swapped. I'll explain how it is here in Canada because I had some experience in the mobile cellular industry.

Say you lose a cell phone. You now need a cell phone AND a simcard.

You go to the mall and there are tons and tons of places that can sell you a cell phone OR a simcard or both. Most of these places charge something called an "activation fee". Its basically something like $15-$30 and all they do is login into your cell phone account and put in a new sim card #. So when you put that sim card into your new phone it'll work with your old number.

Now most of these places also sell the sim card. The sim card is like $5. If you buy the sim card, you can activate it for FREE yourself. So all you pay is $5. So most of these places want to activate it for you, they are desperate for this practise because its a huge revenue for them.

So they ask for ID, if you say you don't have it, and make up some excuse, "oh forgot it at home, will come back tomorrow..." they will usually say "oh, don't worry about it". Just give me "first name, last name, phone number, address" and all is well.

Not every employee does this but its easy to run into one that does this. Hence why its very dangerious using any type of SMS 2FA.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Out of curiosity, would you still recommend the L3+? As I've got my 3 out of retirement to run a bit more and expect to re-retire them by November when the L7+'s will hit the market (or October when Bitmain is "testing" them). But that's with 15-20 cents EUR electric pricing, for most of the year. If the difficulty will triple (which is the lowest of my expectations) unless LTC goes 3 times up, I don't see them running much longer.
To be honest, I doubt that the cost of Litecoin will triple, otherwise the capitalization of the entire market should be 5 or 6 trilons, which seems to me a colossal figure. So I suppose L3 + will become obsolete by this time ... especially considering the very high cost of electricity. By the way, when you talked about Bitman, what did you mean? It's just that I have heard more than once from different people the myth that before the delivery of equipment, Bitman uses new equipment for some time, in fact, sending the used goods.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

Yeah. I would suggest a mixed farm

A few L3+ rigs to mine LTC and Doge.

A few gpu rigs and maybe a few BTC rigs.

So is it a matter of electric pricing for now?
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
A security key like Yubikey is the safest 2FA option. Theoretically, a hacker could gain access to your software 2FA authentication account, but a Yubikey requires physical access to use, similar to a hardware wallet and is something a hacker can't do. It also has an authenticator app to use 2FA on websites that don't support using security keys. The Yubico authenticator app requires the Yubikey to use, so it's safer than using 2FA apps like Google Authenticator or Authy.

for people who are still on google authenticator for sites that doesn't support yubikey yet, at least dedicate a smartphone that has no sim and wifi is always off. i got an old samsung with a huge battery mod it can do over a week without charging.

as for hardware keys, you can also use trezor as a hardware key.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
A security key like Yubikey is the safest 2FA option. Theoretically, a hacker could gain access to your software 2FA authentication account, but a Yubikey requires physical access to use, similar to a hardware wallet and is something a hacker can't do. It also has an authenticator app to use 2FA on websites that don't support using security keys. The Yubico authenticator app requires the Yubikey to use, so it's safer than using 2FA apps like Google Authenticator or Authy.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
2FA isn't intended to protect you, it's intended to protect them. Using SMS to send them just
opens another attack vector. I don't use by cell phone for anything secure, 2FA is sent to my
landline. It may be less convenient but I won't trade security for convenience.

Yeah not a fan of smart phones at all.

But they could be the step before Kenau Reeves movie Johnny Mnemonic

Which lead to a nicer variation of Matrix and or Altered Carbon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mnemonic_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon_(TV_series)

Who know maybe we can live forever after all. Grin
Activity: 1386
Merit: 220
2FA isn't intended to protect you, it's intended to protect them. Using SMS to send them just
opens another attack vector. I don't use by cell phone for anything secure, 2FA is sent to my
landline. It may be less convenient but I won't trade security for convenience.
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
Should I be worried about my holdings on Coinbase?

https://www.techradar.com/news/coinbase-customers-up-in-arms-after-hackers-drain-crypto-wallets

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/coinbase-slammed-for-terrible-customer-service-after-hackers-drain-user-accounts.html

It looks like it only (potentially) impact folks that use 2FA over SMS as the hack involves SIM swapping to intercept SMS messages.  In other words, if you use Google Authenticator when logging into CB, you should be ok.

yeah sim problems and weak/no 2fa on email and such were the main problems afair. i use coinbase so have followed this over the years.

coinbase can now use a yubikey and so can gmail. ive used yubikeys for a couple years now, they work great.

and for the record ive had zero issues with coinbase and have been with them 7 or 8 years now.

edit: not recommending coinbase per se, just posting my experience.
Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

https://www.techradar.com/news/coinbase-customers-up-in-arms-after-hackers-drain-crypto-wallets

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/coinbase-slammed-for-terrible-customer-service-after-hackers-drain-user-accounts.html

It looks like it only (potentially) impact folks that use 2FA over SMS as the hack involves SIM swapping to intercept SMS messages.  In other words, if you use Google Authenticator when logging into CB, you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't hold anything in coin base (if possible).  Beyond the hacking it just seems like their customer service is horrible, so if you have any issues, impossible to resolve.

That said, a couple of months ago I was victim of a sim swap, and I am convinced it was due to coinbase (as I have sms verification on).  At this point it has to be an inside job on multiple fronts.  More than likely someone working at coinbase gets emails addresses and phone numbers for accounts, gives them to someone at phone companies who then swap sims or migrate accounts.  In my case my cell phone number is on my company's account.  On a Sunday morning my cell service on my phone suddenly stopped working.  I call in and the rep tells me that my number had been cancelled and ported to T-Mobile.  For those who haven't ported a cell number, you generally need a password (held with your current company) and account number that you give to the new cell company.  There is no possible way this could have been done without an insider.  Luckily I was able to get my number back, but what a pain in the ass
legendary

from 2016 to 2021

11000 complaints .

68 million customer.

11,000/68,000,000

means 1 in 6200 customers filed a complaint.

Most are over a sims hack.

and if you have more than 1000 usd worth on your coinbase they tell you do not use sims.

the worst case was 168k

why have 168k and uses sims to protect it? when sims hacking has been around for years.
Activity: 558
Merit: 194

legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Thanks -- getting visas and such might be a challenge, but interesting.

I guess a smaller "farm" (50kW) would be easier to get up and running in light commerical areas (say in the US).
As far as I know, US citizens only need a valid passport to enter Ukraine. You will need a visa if you intend to stay in the territory of Ukriana for more than 90 days (continuously). Thus, if you intend to visit the United States at least once every three months, there is no point in applying for a visa. In addition, I know one Ukrainian town in which about 20% of foreigners live on a permanent basis (learning to fly) ... I mean, having launched your mining powers, hypothetically, you can devote your free time to learning new skills (a kind of hobby). [Feel free to ask if you still have questions regarding Ukraine]  Wink
legendary

you could buy 1 or two of these cases.---- my 2 arrive on Friday I will setup a build and see how they do.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.56774805

fill every other slot with a 3090 gpu like this.

Pretty cool case, eliminates the need for risers, but standard slot spacing has become obsolete.
Many cards are now 2.5, 2.75, 2.9 slots, etc. More flexible spacing would be ideal.

If you could get nvidia 3060ti fe cards you could do 12 no issues.
If you could get nvidia 3070ti fe cards you could do 12 no issues.

Since I am going for 3090 six of them  will do just about 1800 watts
and I can do 3 rigs to a 30 amp 240 volt circuit.
Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

you could buy 1 or two of these cases.---- my 2 arrive on Friday I will setup a build and see how they do.

Pretty cool case, eliminates the need for risers, but standard slot spacing has become obsolete.
Many cards are now 2.5, 2.75, 2.9 slots, etc. More flexible spacing would be ideal.
legendary

I guess a smaller "farm" (50kW) would be easier to get up and running in light commerical areas (say in the US).

Okay you are USA based correct?

Yeah. I would suggest a mixed farm

A few L3+ rigs to mine LTC and Doge.

A few gpu rigs and maybe a few BTC rigs.

Go for

32.0k in gpu
 7.0k in ltc
 7.0k in btc

hold 5k for fuck ups

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4315713

and a six card rig would be close to 16k

buy a  goldshell

1️⃣Goldshell LT5 pro 2455M:  6772$

or some of these

1️⃣refurbished Antminer L3+ 504M with psu : 850$.

and maybe get a

1️⃣Avalon 1246 81T:  5545$

I have some l3+ with psu to sell

this is a typical price on ebay from a good seller 1300 or best offer which is subject to tax in the USA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284415280395?

I can do better  with a payment in btc or ltc.

around 1050 with free shipping.

I mix mine

BTC about 1.5ph
LTC/doge now about 6.6gh
Eth about 3gh

legendary
It needs to have cooling. Fans fliters.
Moderate climate is good.
Safe from theft.
Good internet.
5 cent power or less.is really good.
220-240 volt power.
My 2 cents ... With such conditions, only Ukraine comes to my mind ... with the only difference in electricity costs 6 cents / kilowatt. In the rest, everything is as you indicated ... quite a civilized country, stable Internet, electricity supply and a very favorable climate. And if the owner of the mining equipment is ready to move to a new country, then he will be very surprised at the affordable prices for food and housing for a comfortable life.

Ed: By the way, Philipma1957, do you by any chance want to set a profile picture for your alternate account?  Roll Eyes

I guess that I could.  But it is only on a cell phone.

So I need to fire up a pc so that loading an image is easy to do.
Activity: 8
Merit: 1

legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Safe from theft.
Good internet.
220-240 volt power.
My 2 cents ... With such conditions, only Ukraine comes to my mind ... with the only difference in electricity costs 6 cents / kilowatt. In the rest, everything is as you indicated ... quite a civilized country, stable Internet, electricity supply and a very favorable climate. And if the owner of the mining equipment is ready to move to a new country, then he will be very surprised at the affordable prices for food and housing for a comfortable life.

Ed: By the way, Philipma1957, do you by any chance want to set a profile picture for your alternate account?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 416
Merit: 125
Where would you guys recommend getting started with small (<0.5mW) mining if you guys had your choice of locations (but had to live with local electricity suppliers)?  I have a a small amount ($100k) to invest in a location and rigs and want to get an idea of what your dream place would be...

So you have a desire to have 500kwatt farm.

Safe from theft.
Good internet.

220-240 volt power.
Pages:
Jump to: