Pages:
Author

Topic: Octominer B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Board (Motherboard, integrated CPU) - page 6. (Read 35234 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Any idea when you will get more cases in? I'd though when I ordered (on the first) it said back ordered till the 10th but don't see that anymore.

Same if I ordered a case and mobo do you ship separately or wait for all parts (ie the cases) to be instock?

Thanks!
Activity: 248
Merit: 8
Are there header pins on the B8Plus that allow it to be powered up/down with a push button.  My other miner (MSI mobo) has the pins but I don't know if the B8Plus does or not.

Yes, the Octominer motherboard has header pins for buttons and LED's. I added the link to our youtube setup guide where you can see how to connect them.
https://youtu.be/49YBnjIHMDc?t=534

Activity: 4
Are there header pins on the B8Plus that allow it to be powered up/down with a push button.  My other miner (MSI mobo) has the pins but I don't know if the B8Plus does or not.
8GB is recommended when running VEGAs since you have to use Windows.  Smiley

With latest HiveOS you can use Vega cards. Not flexible as Windows for OC but its works. And users are happy.

That's great with Hive that it supports Vegas now. Have you already tried using them in Hive and do they support all the AMD miners there?

With latest HiveOS you can use Vega cards. Not flexible as Windows for OC but its works. And users are happy.
Activity: 190
Merit: 59
Octominer,

thank you for your replies.

I am thinking so much to order some, only if money was not the problem  Grin Grin

Please, can you answer me two more questions.

Is Octominer motherboard compatible with ECC memory?
Is there some kind of hardware watchdog on the motherboard, or any kind of protection or mining feature?
Hello,

Do you have any photos of Octominer populated with Vegas? Can I go with 4GB ram to use 8 Vegas? I plan to get some octos to reduce the size of my rigs and get rid of risers, as well to use oly server type PSU. All my cards are Vegas 56 and 64. Is there anything I should consider before shelling the money on Octominer motherboards?

If  you have some photos of Vega Octominer rigs, please, can you post here? Smiley Thanks!

Hey!
I don't have any 8X vega rig photo to show you now, but we have clients who run 8x VEGA setups on our motherboards and they work. We have a single VEGA that we have used for testing to confirm it works.
Activity: 190
Merit: 59
Hello,

Do you have any photos of Octominer populated with Vegas? Can I go with 4GB ram to use 8 Vegas? I plan to get some octos to reduce the size of my rigs and get rid of risers, as well to use oly server type PSU. All my cards are Vegas 56 and 64. Is there anything I should consider before shelling the money on Octominer motherboards?

If  you have some photos of Vega Octominer rigs, please, can you post here? Smiley Thanks!
Can anyone help me to convert my Octominer so I can use Oculus rift. I’ve never had virtual reality system and have a few question to multipurpose my mining rig.
Is it better if I use all 8 gpu at same time or can I only use 1?
I want to do the high fidelity Rust virtual reality dance party so it tracks my movement with many sensors so is cpu and 8gb ram good enough?

Version 2 Octominer Motherboard:
How about having it optimized as a virtual reality gaming and image rendering workstation so you can utilize the gpu for different purpose?

i doubt boards like these riserless miner style mobos (octominer/onda boards with 8 full size slots) will ever be very good at VR as the cards are being run with only 1 PCIe lane per card. VR has more traditional gaming type requirements, you would want at least eight PCIe lanes (PCIe x8 or x16) per card to load textures and such. textures loading at a single PCIe lane speed will be too slow.

might be possible to change some slots to use more lanes but that might disable other slots or devices (msata/sata ports maybe)

I also doubt that they will continue manufacturing these boards when GPU mining is almost about to exit. I feel for the company behind this and i can imagine that they've invested a lot of capital into developing these boards.

Hopefully they've been able to recoup at least their initial investment on these octominer boards. It is actually a good product.

GPU mining is still going strong. We are working with multiple big mining farms in Australia, Canada, USA and parts of Europe who are buying around 10 000GPUs every 4-6 months.  Smiley.
Activity: 252
Merit: 13
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Can anyone help me to convert my Octominer so I can use Oculus rift. I’ve never had virtual reality system and have a few question to multipurpose my mining rig.
I want to do the high fidelity Rust virtual reality dance party so it tracks my movement with many sensors so is cpu and 8gb ram good enough?

How about having it optimized as a virtual reality gaming and image rendering workstation so you can utilize the gpu for different purpose?

i doubt boards like these riserless miner style mobos (octominer/onda boards with 8 full size slots) will ever be very good at VR as the cards are being run with only 1 PCIe lane per card. VR has more traditional gaming type requirements, you would want at least eight PCIe lanes (PCIe x8 or x16) per card to load textures and such. textures loading at a single PCIe lane speed will be too slow.

might be possible to change some slots to use more lanes but that might disable other slots or devices (msata/sata ports maybe)

I also doubt that they will continue manufacturing these boards when GPU mining is almost about to exit. I feel for the company behind this and i can imagine that they've invested a lot of capital into developing these boards.

Hopefully they've been able to recoup at least their initial investment on these octominer boards. It is actually a good product.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

Activity: 37

I got the octominer case but now need the fan controller. Is this fan controller available in US - not sure what to search on eBay?

The fan controller is listed on our website.  Smiley
https://octominer.com/shop/

Wow that was easy. I was quoted $19 so I paid in LTC and the total was like $18 something with free shipping. The only problem I had was copying address. I had to paste link in notepad so I could then type it and make sure it matched.

Thanks!
I got the octominer case but now need the fan controller. Is this fan controller available in US - not sure what to search on eBay?

The fan controller is listed on our website.  Smiley
https://octominer.com/shop/
Activity: 94
Merit: 1
Whats the cost of a port multiplier like that?
There are two different typs in that image, both cheap. The one to the right is a card with 4 "usb" connections to 4 single risers, about $15-20 plus the cost of the risers.
The one on the left is a one "usb" to a card with 4 slots (and requires 5+12V on Molex no 3), costs $20-25, I have not had good luck with this type.

High pressure fans and controlled airflow (i.e the case) is the way to get control of things. Not as cheap up front as getting a bigger and bigger pile of sub-par stuff after constant upgrades.
But it is a journey up the ladder of experience. In the end, some convenience is worth the investment.
This board is awesome. After 15 days of working 8x RX550 mining monero Today I tried 12 GPU with port multiplier. I use 2 different kind port multipliers. Actually I think I can use other 2 free slots on multiplier for 14 GPU but I dont have free GPU at the moment. There is an order in a chaos if you can see it. Tongue Just joking. Its a test bed. Not final form. Also I wont run 12 gpu over 1 day. I will order more octominer board. I install HiveOS and Windows dual boot on MSATA SSD for future troubleshooting or bios mod. But its not good performance on Windows due CPU. I miss change to buy board with Pentium CPU. I hope you will sell it again.
But to be honest I think I will try non branded one for just a curiosity.

Glad to hear that you are happy with our motherboard.
The 12 GPU port multiplier rig looks pretty cool but kind of defeats the point of having a stable and riser free motherboard.  Grin
Whats the cost of a port multiplier like that?
This board is awesome. After 15 days of working 8x RX550 mining monero Today I tried 12 GPU with port multiplier. I use 2 different kind port multipliers. Actually I think I can use other 2 free slots on multiplier for 14 GPU but I dont have free GPU at the moment. There is an order in a chaos if you can see it. Tongue Just joking. Its a test bed. Not final form. Also I wont run 12 gpu over 1 day. I will order more octominer board. I install HiveOS and Windows dual boot on MSATA SSD for future troubleshooting or bios mod. But its not good performance on Windows due CPU. I miss change to buy board with Pentium CPU. I hope you will sell it again.
But to be honest I think I will try non branded one for just a curiosity.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2602usx.png
http://i63.tinypic.com/211jdl5.jpg
One thing i noticed:

When you dont have monitor attached to vga port of octoboard and reboot device -> login with remote desktop like Anydesk, you will get black screen. Once monitor connected again and reboot it works OK. I guess no other solution than get VGA dummy / emulator

I was really considering some of these boards, but if this is the case they won't work for me...

I think that might be a software bug related to Anydesk. Otherwise our motherboards work fine for remote use also.
Usually best practice is to run a dedicated Linux based mining OS like HIVE OS , ETHOS or SMOS.
Pages:
Jump to: