Pages:
Author

Topic: Octominer B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Board (Motherboard, integrated CPU) - page 8. (Read 35230 times)

Activity: 248
Merit: 8
I've got two of these running WIN now, one a cryptonight rig with 8 MSI RX550 I was really nervous that the board wouldn't be able to handle the start up power but with bios mods it's sailing along. The other with 8 Galax 1050 TI the 1050 TI rig runs with the Octominer ATX power supply.

Both builds took under 15min including unboxing etc which is epic.

RX550 rig is getting stable 3960 H/s @ 411W at the wall from a coolermaster V850 and the cards are running ridiculously cool around 52-5 C which is only 20 or so C above ambient on a regular day here..

1050 TI is doing  4Mh/s Neoscrypt / 121Mh/s Eth @ 624W at the wall from Octominer's PSU with cards running nice and cool around 67-9 C which given the ambient temps here is brilliant.

I haven't done anything sexy just used rubber kids playmats, dumped them on tables and built the rigs right to the edge of that. The playmats are exactly the right thickness for two slot GPUS to support themselves on the table underneath with close to 0 droop. Ventilation from my rig room is just two overpowered stand fans sucking air out the window and bringing up cool air from downstairs.

This beats the everliving crap out of building junk/dinosaur rigs which I've been doing for ages.

That's great! Thanks for the feedback.
In general how's your experience with the Octominer motherboards compared to your previous rigs ? Smiley
Activity: 69
Merit: 0
The spots wood will definitely design a frame for that if there are good reviews about it.
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
I've got two of these running WIN now, one a cryptonight rig with 8 MSI RX550 I was really nervous that the board wouldn't be able to handle the start up power but with bios mods it's sailing along. The other with 8 Galax 1050 TI the 1050 TI rig runs with the Octominer ATX power supply.

Both builds took under 15min including unboxing etc which is epic.

RX550 rig is getting stable 3960 H/s @ 411W at the wall from a coolermaster V850 and the cards are running ridiculously cool around 52-5 C which is only 20 or so C above ambient on a regular day here..

1050 TI is doing  4Mh/s Neoscrypt / 121Mh/s Eth @ 624W at the wall from Octominer's PSU with cards running nice and cool around 67-9 C which given the ambient temps here is brilliant.

I haven't done anything sexy just used rubber kids playmats, dumped them on tables and built the rigs right to the edge of that. The playmats are exactly the right thickness for two slot GPUS to support themselves on the table underneath with close to 0 droop. Ventilation from my rig room is just two overpowered stand fans sucking air out the window and bringing up cool air from downstairs.

This beats the everliving crap out of building junk/dinosaur rigs which I've been doing for ages.

Activity: 89
We have to fit it to the motherboard and the thing is to check that completely.
Activity: 32
It looks interesting and whoever uses it must share the feedback.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
Wish their website had some decent priced 1080ti blower models. Looking to drop some $$$ soon and I want to go riserless..
Has anyone tried running 8 Vegas on an octominer board?

Yes, we have clients running 8 Vega setups in Windows 10 and it works fine. Smiley
I just got mine.   Got a question for you guys though.

I want to install windows on it however, I only have HDMI and no VGA cable...I tried to put a GPU on it but it won't read....do I really need VGA and can't use GPU to at least look at the screen?

Hey!
Yes, the only way to get video initially is through VGA. You would need either a HDMI to VGA adapter or a monitor that supports VGA.
After that you can change the settings in BIOS to display through the GPU HDMI port.

An option to get the GPU to display video without a monitor is if you blindly press the right buttons and change the settings in BIOS without the monitor. Please contact our Live Chat through the website and they can try to guide you this process.
copper member
Activity: 48
Has anyone tried running 8 Vegas on an octominer board?
Activity: 106
I just got mine.   Got a question for you guys though.

I want to install windows on it however, I only have HDMI and no VGA cable...I tried to put a GPU on it but it won't read....do I really need VGA and can't use GPU to at least look at the screen?
Activity: 289
Merit: 107
One thing I have found that helps is in the bios change the cpu performance to max turbo boost instead of max non-turbo, helps windows with a bit of extra power. Second if you're running 8 cards, I saw increased performance by going ahead and using all 5 connections for 6 pin power on the board. Once I did that, it ran a bit smoother and had a higher hashrate.
Purchased the board, case, and server power supply.  All looking good so far, excited to not be using risers and if we can get this one rig going we'll be buying 8 more setups.  

Working on getting 8 GTX 1060 cards going on W10.  For some reason at cards 5 or 6 W10 starts to have issues.  Everything is solid and stable at 4 cards (sometimes 5) and mines with no issues at this point.

When cards 5+ go into the motherboard I get one of the following issues.

-Windows doesn't load at all.
-Windows will load and then flash on and off, no clickable actions.
-Windows will load and I just get the spinning circle.  I've let this run overnight thinking W10 is doing it's thing but no go.

I've reloaded W10 three times now.  Each time will load with on-board video and then add one gpu.  After Windows loads the drivers I load cards one at a time with a reboot in-between each.  

I've increased virtual memory as well with no go.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a software issue. I also recommend you to run HIVE OS for the ease of use and stability.
Usually the Rig works fine in Win 10 also. You install W10 with 1 GPU, install the GPU drivers, then add all the GPUs and boot up. Sometimes change to some BIOS settings are needed. If you need further assistance then please contact us through Live Chat on the website or send us an email to [email protected]
Hope you get it sorted out !
Activity: 251
Merit: 6
Has anyone benchmarked the power draw for an octominer setup vs a standard riser setup?  I.e. tb250+ with celeron cpu?

I don't think risers lose much power but kinda curious if anyone has tested it.
Activity: 714
Merit: 104
Try to connect your fans to +5V this make it quiter, or you can connect one wire to +5 other to +12 it gives +7V
Activity: 6
Does anyone have a recommendation for quieter fans to use in the case?
Activity: 47
Merit: 1
Purchased the board, case, and server power supply.  All looking good so far, excited to not be using risers and if we can get this one rig going we'll be buying 8 more setups. 

Working on getting 8 GTX 1060 cards going on W10.  For some reason at cards 5 or 6 W10 starts to have issues.  Everything is solid and stable at 4 cards (sometimes 5) and mines with no issues at this point.

-Windows will load and I just get the spinning circle.  I've let this run overnight thinking W10 is doing it's thing but no go.

I've reloaded W10 three times now.  Each time will load with on-board video and then add one gpu.  After Windows loads the drivers I load cards one at a time with a reboot in-between each. 

I had the same problems with Windows.  Now using HiveOS, rock solid which is fantastic.   You might try plugging in more of the 6pin connectors for the motherboard... saw it suggested before in this thread for Windows.  I've not tried it since I've abandoned windows but worth a shot.
Activity: 25
hiveos is very simple, you won't have to deal with any of these windows headaches..... get HiveOs it's free, x10 times better than Windows crap, I installed HiveOs 1 month ago and I'd never look back at Windows, ever!
Activity: 3
Purchased the board, case, and server power supply.  All looking good so far, excited to not be using risers and if we can get this one rig going we'll be buying 8 more setups. 

Working on getting 8 GTX 1060 cards going on W10.  For some reason at cards 5 or 6 W10 starts to have issues.  Everything is solid and stable at 4 cards (sometimes 5) and mines with no issues at this point.

-Windows will load and I just get the spinning circle.  I've let this run overnight thinking W10 is doing it's thing but no go.

I've reloaded W10 three times now.  Each time will load with on-board video and then add one gpu.  After Windows loads the drivers I load cards one at a time with a reboot in-between each. 

Activity: 25
Got to say that octominers customer service is great, my PSU died, I spoke to them on the chat and then an quick email stating the psu had died, they sent me the new psu after a few days, you don't get this kind of support in many places, because of this, I will continue to buy octominer products.

Btw octominer did you change anything on the new atx psus? this one is quieter than the last one which seemed to be running at full blast 100% of the time

Hey!

Glad to hear that you are happy with our products and the level of support we provide. Smiley
We are constantly upgrading and improving our products. Which ATX PSU do you have? We have a new 1650W one that has a silent fan that has 2 speed options also.

It's just the regular ATX Psu, but for some reason it's quieter than the previous one, no 2 speeds.

Would you guys ever consider joining the ASIC war against BITMAIN? has that ever crossed your mind? we need a competitor for bitmain as it seems like GPU mining is damned. We were just having a conversation with one of the ZenCash admins about forking off equihash as their difficulty increased insanely recently and it's kinda obvious there's ASICs mining ZenCash....

I gave them the Monero example, they forked and their difficulty dropped like 75%, it was obvious bitmain is pre mining their asics before shipping them, look at the answer Blockops gave me, one of their admins:

Give the monero and other GPU mined cryptocurrency hashrates a week or two to see what it normalizes to. Big GPU operations would just switch away from monero while there is a fork, then it takes them time to get their mining software updated to the new fork software, then they get back onto mining it.

It is not obvious that there are ASICs mining ZenCash. It is more probable that GPU miners switched away from the Monero drama, and after they get their updates done, things will settle out.

There are also going to be, if there are not already, miners that are FPGA with external memory for algorithms like Ethash and Equihash. The FPGA's would be able to be reconfigured after a fork to match the new algorithm.

The Ravencoin algorithm, X16r, uses 16 different algorithms in different order every block. Even that can be turned into an ASIC by using something similar to a Bitmain D3, and provide a connection to each of the 16 algorithms, then use a controller board to route the solutions in and out of the 16 algorithms.

Developers tend to underestimate ASIC and FPGA designers. It's not as simple as it seems, to just call for forking the algorithm when the hashrate gets higher than people like.
Hashrate can be a leading indicator. It means miners are willing to pay more for mining a cryptocurrency because they expect the price to go up in the future.

/////////////////////////////////////////

it seems like big miners are aware that GPU mining will eventually disappear since we can't really do anything about ASICs, this are very smart people and they are aware of the situation, the only way the game will be fair is if bitmain gets aggresive competition, otherwise, in my humble opinion crypto is useless, centralized coins? I might aswell go buy USD$ and Euros.

What's your take on this? would you ever consider this?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a USB WiFi adapter that works well with Octominer and HiveOS?

Hey!

The Xiaomi USB WIFI adapter works well and has good signal strength.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-WiFi-Portable-Mini-USB-Wireless-Router-Repeator-WiFi-USB-Adapter-with-1TB-Free-Cloud/32318777324.html
Pages:
Jump to: