Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 68. (Read 49472 times)

legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 6182
Crypto Swap Exchange
Ok before you do all that try this.

Go to settings, set to custom miner mode.

Set voltage to 777mv, and keep frequency at 598 (eco).

Because this movie quote just says it all....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl8e9i6YiA8&feature=youtu.be&t=21

New issue, massive discards, 95%+ HW error.
Once again, on both secdsm pool and litecoin pool.

-Dave

Hmmm very weird. Keep these settings, and do a full system shutdown, unplug from power, then start it up again.

More or less the same.
Different PS & different network location (tech bench)

I can take it apart and try a reflow in the morning.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
jstefanop,

What is login and password to ssh?
Also, how to "forget" wifi credentials? Disconnect button does nothing.

It’s futurebit/futurebit

Disconnect button should clear WiFi connections.
Activity: 924
Merit: 175
jstefanop,

What is login and password to ssh?
Also, how to "forget" wifi credentials? Disconnect button does nothing.
legendary

-Dave

Hmmm very weird. Keep these settings, and do a full system shutdown, unplug from power, then start it up again.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange

-Dave
legendary
Are you getting 25% error rate each time on reboot?

3 full reboots, between 15 to 30 every time.

What pool are you running at? Try litecoinpool and see if you get the same issue.

I was running on litecoinpool. I tried both US servers, then I moved to defcoin.secdsm.com and got about the same.

If you do check the back of the miner where the PCB is, you'll see 5 spring heatsink screws. Make sure none of those springs have shifted turing shipment and are touching any components on the board (there should be a washer in between the spring and PCB to prevent that but the spring can still move).
Washer / spring looks good.

Going to move it to the workbench so I can look at a few other things.
Also, going to re-burn the sd card.

Thanks,
Dave

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange

3 full reboots, between 15 to 30 every time.

What pool are you running at? Try litecoinpool and see if you get the same issue.

I was running on litecoinpool. I tried both US servers, then I moved to defcoin.secdsm.com and got about the same.

If you do check the back of the miner where the PCB is, you'll see 5 spring heatsink screws. Make sure none of those springs have shifted turing shipment and are touching any components on the board (there should be a washer in between the spring and PCB to prevent that but the spring can still move).
Washer / spring looks good.

Going to move it to the workbench so I can look at a few other things.
Also, going to re-burn the sd card.

Thanks,
Dave
legendary
Mine came in yesterday, I set it up and it was working fine.

Overnight it stopped hashing. A reboot brought it back. Was working fine for a little while (no idea how long) and I got an offline message from litecoin pool again.
Changed pools, added pools did some other things. Now I am getting massive HW errors after the last reboot.
Made no changes to any of the settings just the pools.
Power supply has more then enough power to run it so I know that is not it:
(I cut the pool URLs out of the image but they are there)

Any thoughts on what to check?

Thanks,
Dave

It could also be that you just got bad silicon lottery and need to bump up your voltage a bit (ill let you know how to do that after you check the above).
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Mine came in yesterday, I set it up and it was working fine.

Overnight it stopped hashing. A reboot brought it back. Was working fine for a little while (no idea how long) and I got an offline message from litecoin pool again.
Changed pools, added pools did some other things. Now I am getting massive HW errors after the last reboot.
Made no changes to any of the settings just the pools.
Power supply has more then enough power to run it so I know that is not it:
(I cut the pool URLs out of the image but they are there)

Any thoughts on what to check?

Thanks,
Dave
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
btw: I bought such PSU meanwhile, https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-platinum# (850W). :-)
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
I received two units last Monday, both in perfect shape and no broken panels.

So far working nicely on a profit switching pool. I got the same problems shuffling pool order around that were described by AltScope, simply didn't work until I had three pools configured, then it started working. That's not a biggie really.

But I also found that switching back from secondary pool when primary pool is back up doesn't work and needs a manual restart of the miner to go back to primary.

Otherwise it is a really nice piece of well-thought work, great job I'd say and absolutely worth the money.

Oh, one last wish: It would be great to be able to see the current stratum difficulty in the interface, I am running on a vardiff port and like to see what it gets assigned from the pool.

Btw: I metered power consumption of my two units connected to one Corsair CS850M (gold) and got ~240W @230VAC input. I'd assume running of a platin PS could get that figure down to 210-220W for two units.

I will meter test it on a titanium very soon
legendary
Activity: 1598
Merit: 1555
精神分析的爸
I received two units last Monday, both in perfect shape and no broken panels.

So far working nicely on a profit switching pool. I got the same problems shuffling pool order around that were described by AltScope, simply didn't work until I had three pools configured, then it started working. That's not a biggie really.

But I also found that switching back from secondary pool when primary pool is back up doesn't work and needs a manual restart of the miner to go back to primary.

Otherwise it is a really nice piece of well-thought work, great job I'd say and absolutely worth the money.

Oh, one last wish: It would be great to be able to see the current stratum difficulty in the interface, I am running on a vardiff port and like to see what it gets assigned from the pool.

Btw: I metered power consumption of my two units connected to one Corsair CS850M (gold) and got ~240W @230VAC input. I'd assume running of a platin PS could get that figure down to 210-220W for two units.
Activity: 714
Merit: 252

Thanks for this....were trying to find bugs on our end but need feedback from you guys for stuff we missed (I guess the lack of issues is a good thing other than a few minor shipping damage).

-The fan should shutoff on shutdown, might have to check our logic on the fan pin...Does it do this every time because were not seeing this on our end
-If you shutdown the unit wont restart until you unplug/replug power. Use the "reboot" command for this in the system options.
-Pool changes should show you a "Miner needs to restart" button on the top...you should not need a full reboot though...ill do some more digging on this one.

the fan running at full speed on shutdown only happened the once after my initial setup I needed to shutdown to plug the second unit into the psu, then after testing I shutdown again to move the units and there were no issues.
it was after moving from a cold boot one of the units failed to start and connect to the network, the reboot command works quite well but in this instance my only choice was to cut the power
the pool order change issue was really odd after setting up a pool for testing I decided to use that as the failover but one of the units wouldn't allow an order change until reboot the other was fine and just restarted the miner.

its all minor weird glitches that don't have much impact and are intermittent and possibly singular, the only real concern for me was when the fan went nuts but as it hasn't happened again I figure there was just an error on shutdown
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
Hello,
I've been using Apollo for few days now and I have one suggestion.

Fan in auto mode is not really stable. It's following sinusoidal curve. It spins fast so chip gets cooled down. Then fans slows down. And down. To the point where fan is inaudible and way to slow to be sustainable. Then temperature creeps up and fan starts spinning faster and faster. And cycle repeats, again, again, and again. (my ambient temperature is 18 C)

This could be solved in one easy way: Let user use Auto fan mode and set minimum fan speed for this Auto mode. That way, fan slows down automatically, but not too much (slows to set minimum value, not slower), so sinusoidal curve of fan RPM is not that drastic.

I could set fan to manual but then I need to monitor it, I don't have any overheat protection at all.

Ideal behaviour is claymore dual miner fan control for GPUs. You can set min and max speed of fan and temperature target. Also critical temperature where mining slows down, and super critical temperature when mining stops. Then it's all automatic and you don't ever need to worry about it anymore. But I guess for first step, Auto mode with set min speed (instead of Auto mode and 0-100 speed) will be enough. Thanks.

I set my fan to 37%

he has a thermal shut down if there is an issue.
my garage is 32c if that is 90f. As I am  running 5kwatts of other mining gear in it for heat.
the apollo is 63c which should be okay.

I got the replacement panels they look good.
legendary
Hello,

Fan in auto mode is not really stable. It's following sinusoidal curve. It spins fast so chip gets cooled down. Then fans slows down. And down. To the point where fan is inaudible and way to slow to be sustainable. Then temperature creeps up and fan starts spinning faster and faster. And cycle repeats, again, again, and again. (my ambient temperature is 18 C)

This could be solved in one easy way: Let user use Auto fan mode and set minimum fan speed for this Auto mode. That way, fan slows down automatically, but not too much (slows to set minimum value, not slower), so sinusoidal curve of fan RPM is not that drastic.

I could set fan to manual but then I need to monitor it, I don't have any overheat protection at all.

Ideal behaviour is claymore dual miner fan control for GPUs. You can set min and max speed of fan and temperature target. Also critical temperature where mining slows down, and super critical temperature when mining stops. Then it's all automatic and you don't ever need to worry about it anymore. But I guess for first step, Auto mode with set min speed (instead of Auto mode and 0-100 speed) will be enough. Thanks.

Yea fan logic was the last thing I did and didn't have time to put alot of work in it. To be clear there IS thermal shutdown controls in place regardless of your settings. Next version will have a gravity well type algorithm for AUTO that should stick it to one fan speed over a wider range of temperatures. Ill be implementing a PID algorithm with target temperature in the version after that.
Activity: 924
Merit: 175
Hello,

legendary
Shell creds are futurebit/futurebit. As a friendly reminder, don't put this on a public network because ssh is running on default port 22.

While I obviously don't care if people get in the backend, I would not mess around unless you know what your doing. The system is highly configured to run the mining processes and low level hardware controls, and even a sudo apt upgrade could break something.
legendary
Thanks for everything you do! Looking forward to future updates.

Thats a nice setup!
legendary
Order # 1209 was received at Portugal and two more Apollos are working.
The screws on the sides came without tightening but it was easy to tighten.
Only problem was having to pay an additional $ 95 for each at Customs  Sad !

95 each?? Isn’t import VAT ~17%? Should not be more than $50.

VAT is different from country to country here in the EU. Here is 23% and I paid even more $ 45 in administrative expenses! I will buy more when available from the your European retailer.

got a text earlier from fedex £54.95 to pay here in the uk and i was hoping I'd gotten away with it too lol

Feedback
had my units for almost 24 hours now running pretty smoothly but I've had some minor software issues:

shutdown of one of the units caused the fan to run at full speed continuously after a shutdown
a unit failed to start after shutdown power cycle solved this
unable to change pool order until restart on one system, seems fine now

case:
the gap between the 12v connectors and the case is too small making it difficult to plug or unplug my psu due to the latch

just like the MLD's these are a great product that I could happily recommend simple to use even for a first time miner/Luddite  GJ

Thanks for this....were trying to find bugs on our end but need feedback from you guys for stuff we missed (I guess the lack of issues is a good thing other than a few minor shipping damage).

-The fan should shutoff on shutdown, might have to check our logic on the fan pin...Does it do this every time because were not seeing this on our end
-If you shutdown the unit wont restart until you unplug/replug power. Use the "reboot" command for this in the system options.
-Pool changes should show you a "Miner needs to restart" button on the top...you should not need a full reboot though...ill do some more digging on this one.
Activity: 714
Merit: 252
Order # 1209 was received at Portugal and two more Apollos are working.
The screws on the sides came without tightening but it was easy to tighten.
Only problem was having to pay an additional $ 95 for each at Customs  Sad !

95 each?? Isn’t import VAT ~17%? Should not be more than $50.

VAT is different from country to country here in the EU. Here is 23% and I paid even more $ 45 in administrative expenses! I will buy more when available from the your European retailer.

got a text earlier from fedex £54.95 to pay here in the uk and i was hoping I'd gotten away with it too lol

Feedback
had my units for almost 24 hours now running pretty smoothly but I've had some minor software issues:

shutdown of one of the units caused the fan to run at full speed continuously after a shutdown
a unit failed to start after shutdown power cycle solved this
unable to change pool order until restart on one system, seems fine now

case:
the gap between the 12v connectors and the case is too small making it difficult to plug or unplug my psu due to the latch

just like the MLD's these are a great product that I could happily recommend simple to use even for a first time miner/Luddite  GJ
Pages:
Jump to: