Author

Topic: Official Thread: AMT - page 267. (Read 678353 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
January 12, 2014, 11:04:00 PM
http://kevinbiomech.imgur.com/all/

Pix. There will be more.

review so far  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/amt-80-ghs-miner-review-403223

Unlike Khanduras, my machine was only shipped the wrong direction by UPS, not badly mishandled. It works really nicely. I've been running it for almost a week now, no hiccups that I didn't cause, and not many of those.

For those following, I'm still on baby watch, so this is gonna be hit and miss. I will post a much more in depth review as I go along, with updates. So far, I'm just letting it hash at default on eligius (link in my review thread) and it's kickin' right where it should be. Usually averages just a bit above 80 GH/s. Eligius stats jump around, look at the 3 hour and it's closer to what Cgminer is showing.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
January 12, 2014, 10:07:18 PM
AMT updated their website.  For all Bitfury miners they are now showing acutal miners and not cad images.  Yeaa!!   Still not the miners with A1 chips Sad  but from the forum thread they should have A1 chips in the next two weeks.   Yeaa

WHo will ship first AMT or Cointerra??? 

I have Early jan batch of AMT 1.2 (which is over due) and Feb batch of cointerra.  I wonder if cointerra can deliver ontime since they have not even started shipping.

I'm in the same boat, waiting on both Cointerra and AMT.  My Cointerra rig is supposed to be in their second batch ("early January").  Their first batch was titled "late December", which of course did not happen.  Considering that Cointerra posted the testing and diagnostic of their chips on the 7th, I would think they have the upper hand and will ship first.  My bet is that Cointerra's first batch will be ahead of AMT by about a month, based on where they are with their chips.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Movin' on up.
January 12, 2014, 08:24:37 PM
AMT updated their website.  For all Bitfury miners they are now showing acutal miners and not cad images.  Yeaa!!   Still not the miners with A1 chips Sad  but from the forum thread they should have A1 chips in the next two weeks.   Yeaa

Yep, that's right. And the miners are exactly what they're sending out. I'm running a few more tests on my 128 which I just got working (long story, unimportant... let's just say UPS sucks ass at shipping things) after three days. The device hashes reliably. I'll be posting a review in the next couple of days, just waiting for Jim to get back to me on a question or two.
Activity: 145
BitRoll
January 12, 2014, 07:42:41 PM

WHo will ship first AMT or Cointerra??? 

I have Early jan batch of AMT 1.2 (which is over due) and Feb batch of cointerra.  I wonder if cointerra can deliver ontime since they have not even started shipping.

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
January 11, 2014, 05:37:42 AM
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
January 11, 2014, 05:27:28 AM
Dave Carlson does not personally keep all the 300 coins a day.  You can buy into his mining array via shares.  I think it was originally called the 100 TH mine but it actually runs about 500 TH/s now.

This is bad for all of us small miners Cry
All those mega mines.
If you can't beat them, join them!
(I did).
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
einc.io
January 10, 2014, 11:30:58 PM
Dave Carlson does not personally keep all the 300 coins a day.  You can buy into his mining array via shares.  I think it was originally called the 100 TH mine but it actually runs about 500 TH/s now.

This is bad for all of us small miners Cry
All those mega mines.
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
January 10, 2014, 07:39:39 PM
legendary
Activity: 868
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
January 10, 2014, 02:19:58 PM
If this info is accurate then I think it's safe to say that the 1.2th miners won't be available until Feb.
 Undecided

I got an email from Bitmine in regards to AMT's chips. The rude fellow I spoke to on the phone at AMT (definitely wasn't Jim) told me if I want a delivery date then call Bitmine. Jim never answered my many emails - so I contacted Bitmine.

Antonio (Bitmine AG)
Jan 09 13:59

Dear Sir,
An estimated shipping date for the order of AMT is the 3rd week of January(mid January).

Thanks
for your interests in our products.

Danke für Ihr Interesse an unseren Produkten.

For any questions don't hesitate to contact us. In the meantime

Für Fragen sind wir jederzeit für Sie da.

Kind regards/MfG

Customer Service

I got the same message from Bitmine.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
January 09, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
If this info is accurate then I think it's safe to say that the 1.2th miners won't be available until Feb.
 Undecided

I got an email from Bitmine in regards to AMT's chips. The rude fellow I spoke to on the phone at AMT (definitely wasn't Jim) told me if I want a delivery date then call Bitmine. Jim never answered my many emails - so I contacted Bitmine.

Antonio (Bitmine AG)

Dear Sir,
An estimated shipping date for the order of AMT is the 3rd week of January(mid January).

Thanks

Kind regards/MfG

Customer Service
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
January 09, 2014, 11:54:18 AM
How did this Carlson character get a hold of so many Bitfury chips?
He is selling Bitfury hardware via https://megabigpower.com/

what a rip off.
legendary
January 09, 2014, 11:41:31 AM

Hardware appears a bit more expensive than what's out on eBay.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
January 09, 2014, 11:05:04 AM
legendary
January 09, 2014, 10:53:09 AM

Antonio (Bitmine AG)

Dear Sir,

Thanks

Kind regards/MfG

Customer Service

Ok great... good confirmation on Bitmine shipping chips to AMT. 
legendary
January 09, 2014, 10:50:20 AM
Check this Bloomber article out:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-09/bitcoin-mining-chips-gear-computing-groups-competition-heats-up#p3

Speaking of Bitfury,  you all know CEX.IO runs on BitFury... GHash.IO which CEX.IO is in partnership is almost 51% of the bitcoin network.

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
January 09, 2014, 10:40:52 AM

Antonio (Bitmine AG)

Dear Sir,

Thanks

Kind regards/MfG

Customer Service
Movin' on up.
January 09, 2014, 02:25:35 AM
Well, so far my experience was less than pleasant, but I'm pretty sure it's not AMT's fault. I do believe I have at least one faulty board, and another one seems... questionable, with variable hash rates. I've been talking with Jim all night and we've been going over some things to try to get it to work, but it just seems unwilling to cooperate. I'll likely try to get in touch with him tomorrow again and see how he wants to proceed with things.

There's one thing that I can say, and that would be that Jim seems like a really great guy. He's been extremely helpful this whole time, and has spent an incredible amount of time walking me through every detail of getting this thing up and running. I honestly don't foresee any troubles with AMT meeting their goals as soon as those chips come in, even if it has been a rather rocky start. Look at it this way, they're definitely not another BFL.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
January 09, 2014, 02:04:17 AM
Could you take some shots of the machine and post here?

Certainly. I'll send you what I sent them. I'll post them in a post of their own. Took quite a few, and want to separate it from this post since I'm replying to multiple people at once. Don't want it to be too spammy.

wow. how are they shipping these things?

Was shipped UPS, packed with broken styrofoam in a box that was put together using duct tape, which is just odd. Duct tape? *shrugs*

Yeah, mine was packaged the same way. Difficult to open, but it was packed pretty solid. No damage at all on mine, but UPS did initially ship it to the wrong city. Directly opposite direction from their shipping hub. In several decades of dealing with UPS, I've never been impressed. Or more to the point the impression they make is terrible.

FWIW, mine has been happily hashing away on Eligius without any issues. I haven't had time to take it apart and take proper photos yet, but I will soon. With the baby due any minute now and a full time job, my life is chaos right now. At least my miner is working steadily Smiley

I talked to Jim on the phone yesterday for a little while before I went to work, and he said they are ready to go as soon as they get the chips. He said they would need a little time to test and tweak the firmware, but they are set to go with assembly. I didn't ask if they had sample chips yet. I meant to, but was rushed and forgot.

He also said they had tried to hire a couple of customer service people and they flaked on him. I don't really have any details, but he did say they're still working on it. My impression remains they are technical professionals, but didn't quite realize what they were biting off. Jim very much wants AMT to be the go-to company for ASIC machines in the United States, and that level of ambition in a smart man will likely pay off for both AMT and the consumer. From my point of view, I think we're seeing early speed bumps. I am convinced of their intentions, and when I get to the point I can do so, I'm buying from them. I think they'll iron out their problems outside the supply chain. That problem ain't going away. It seems there is always some gadget that you can't get on the day you need it in this industry. Usually the chips, but in watching the Klondike project, there seemed to be several "common" components that just dried up when they were needed.

In my conversation with Jim it seemed to me that the majority of their pre-orders are the Bitmine based machines which is the main reason for the delay. He didn't say that, it was the impression I got from the conversation. I should have asked more specific questions, I suppose, but we were mainly talking about my impressions of the rig they sent me. Which aside from the ugly packaging have been all positive so far. I like the machine. It's certainly not a professional level rig, whereas the others are, but as an entry level device, I think it's a decent deal. The price is higher than Blackarrow, but lower than other bitfury rigs. So right about the middle of the road, and you don't have to do a shitload of setup on it. Once I figured out that it was auto launching cg-miner it literally took two minutes to point it at Eligius. I'll post up the procedure for that with pictures on the review thread as the next project.

Also, thanks to Vesperwillow, I should have a Kill-a-watt pretty soon, and I'll post the draw. The internal software allows you to change the voltage and several other settings for overclocking/overvolting etc. Have no clue if that voids the warranty, but since I'm evaluating the unit rather than paying for it, I'll do it as soon as I know what I'm doing, and duly report the results. But as it shipped, it averages slightly above the advertised hashrate and seems dead stable. It's been running continuously for a couple of days without a hiccup. The case gets pretty warm, but not crazy hot. Keeps this previously kind of cold room comfortable, which to my cold blooded body is a bonus.

I will continue to update my evaluation of the machine in it's own thread, and link to it from this one. Right now, I've managed to watch the stats between real world tasks, and that's about it. I start a leave of absence from work on the 12th, with the baby due by induction supposedly on the 15th, so the odds are I'll have a day or two to play with it around there. Assuming my daughter don't get impatient and come early Tongue
Movin' on up.
January 08, 2014, 09:43:15 PM
The miner! In all it's glory.

(Edit: I'll just post links to the image on my dropbox. Too spammy with just the images.)

(Edit2: Yes, I'm aware I put btctalk.org instead of bitcointalk.org. Ooops. My bad.)

(Edit3: Removed again. Will repost later.)
Movin' on up.
January 08, 2014, 09:28:10 PM
Could you take some shots of the machine and post here?

Certainly. I'll send you what I sent them. I'll post them in a post of their own. Took quite a few, and want to separate it from this post since I'm replying to multiple people at once. Don't want it to be too spammy.

wow. how are they shipping these things?

Was shipped UPS, packed with broken styrofoam in a box that was put together using duct tape, which is just odd. Duct tape? *shrugs*
Jump to: