Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 114. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
site is down for me. USA.  Cgminer shows shares being accepted though. 
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Greetings Eligius miners!

So, I was up yesterday morning at 5:30AM local time (Saturday!) because of one of my "pool is broken" alarms.  Turns out some insanely huge botnet has decided to call Eligius home, and is adding bots at a rate of about 2-3 unique IPs per second.  And of course, these bots are connecting on port 8337 (getwork/GBT).

So, of course, after building up for a while, the server got bogged down and tripped my alarm.  I've since been trying to figure out a solution to the problem, and it is now just about 27 hours later (I had about a 90 minute nap somewhere in there).

Anyway, after many many attempts at different methods for fixing this, I ended up coming up with a solution which basically amounts to load balancing port 8337.  I've also moved stratum (port 3334) to it's own independent process.

Now, eloipool wasn't really designed to do this, so, I don't know if there are any unforeseen issues with the way I've attempted this.  One side effect comes to mind, and it involves variable difficulty calculation for miners who mine from multiple IPs.  Most likely their vardiff number will be lower than it normally would be because of this if they use GBT/getwork because they wont be getting/submitting work to the same server on the backend.  Not a huge problem.  One which I will solve soon.

Edit: I also just realized that this setup affects vardiff for anyone with hashpower on both GBT/getwork and stratum.

So, conclusion, the pool is up, its handling the new traffic now, and all should be well for miners. Cheesy

-wk

Have you considered what happens to variable difficulty when multiple miners are using the same IP and the same payment address. For example one public IP is used for three miners behind a router and firewall but they have varying hash rates (180, 90, 70000) requiring difficulty 1, 1, and 64, respectively? This appears to be a problem even when using the new addresses for getwork for the first two and stratum for the third - where the slow miners usually end up getting difficulty set far too high and the fast miner occasionally has difficulty set too low. The same appeared to happen more than one miner used the new stratum address.
Activity: 54
Wynx, where do you live. I live in the US and I can't access the eligius site and I can't mine from eligius either.
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
is eligius site down, I've been trying to mine all morning and it hasn't been working.

running stable here... no poblems
Activity: 54
is eligius site down, I've been trying to mine all morning and it hasn't been working.
Activity: 160
very cool pool. i love it

Money first, goods later.
I think you'll find that's me not you.
Activity: 238
Nice day today gents.  Solving blocks like there's no tomorrow. My unpaids and shelveds are going down like Kim Kardashian and Ray J on the Titanic.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1028
dzyk.ru
very cool pool. i love it

Money first, goods later.
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
I cant seem to find the current PPS amount in BTC on the website anywhere?
Am i missing it or is it not there and either way what is it? Smiley

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/

at the Bottom of the Page

thanks, if the stratum bug gets fixed in GUIMiner i'd move here from 50btc!

There are other miners which are not broken....
Activity: 42

thanks, if the stratum bug gets fixed in GUIMiner i'd move here from 50btc!
Activity: 20
Forgot to mention, I have 2 cgminer instances (2 machines) connected using the same bitcoin address. Is that the issue?

Are you using a local proxy or connecting directly? I have 3 separate instances using a stratum proxy (and the same BTC address) and they aggregate just fine.
Activity: 447
Merit: 250
Forgot to mention, I have 2 cgminer instances (2 machines) connected using the same bitcoin address. Is that the issue?
Activity: 447
I am mining with 6 USB Block Erupters on eligius.st. I have been for 12 hours now. Rejects and HW Errors both <1%. CGminer is reporting the average for each miner to be almost exactly 333mhash. This would put me at 1998mhash total. Subtract ~2% for errors/rejects and this is still 1.9ghash.

However, looking at my stats on eligius over the past ~12 hours, my average is showing up closer to ~1.4ghash: http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/19SDetGHHQxdP7vFk9xaqwqcodZzGEDN9J .

What gives? Is this just cgminer reporting the speed incorrectly?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Reminder: wizkid057 said stratum.mining.eligius.st needs to be used as the hostname for stratum, some weeks ago...
Activity: 40
Hmm. Whatever it was, it was temporary. At some point, I briefly managed to establish a GetWork connection, and now I seem to have obtained a (so far) stable Stratum connection... all OK here.
Activity: 40
Has anyone experienced recent difficulties with connecting to stratum.mining.eligius.st?

I have full internet connectivity as far as I know and can test...

...yet mining stopped about 3 hours ago, and netcat (upon trying "nc -v -v stratum.mining.eligius.st 3334") tells the following:

Code:
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: mining.eligius.st != ra.mining.eligius.st
mining.eligius.st [64.150.177.185] 3334 (?) : Connection timed out
Activity: 344
Flixxo - Watch, Share, Earn!

Activity: 42
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
So how low can round luck % go?  I think we might break all records today. Smiley
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
If you're using guiminer and stratum then its not actually sending shares to the pool because guiminer/poclbm is broken. This is why stratum is not suggested for guiminer.

Edit: looks like this was noted on the Eligius site under guiminer for a while now.
welp, mystery solved I was using guiminer. They should really fix that eventually.
I wrote a fix for it, but the author apparently prefers it broken.
Maybe more people asking to get it fixed on the pull request will get it some attention.

Or just run a stratum proxy locally?  It should be a simple workaround for anyone.
Jump to: