Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 129. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Hey guys, new to the pool, and mining happily.

Noticed the stats page freezing today, it seems to be okay now.. Smiley
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
Yep same here. Some of my miners also swapped pool (probably unrelated).
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Anyone else notice that the user stats are "stalled"? Mine have the exact same hashrate listed for the past 4 hours or so.
Why won't this block die!

I think it did just as I posted this :S
Activity: 481
* jgarzik votes for a fixed minimum difficulty which is out of reach of most CPU miners, as well as eliminating getwork.

GBT or stratum only.

But just an opinion.  Smiley  Looking forward to the control panel.

Seconded.
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Stats are broken:

Error: Username 1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx not found in database. Please try again later. If this issue persists, please report it to the pool operator.
I was seeing this too for about 20 minutes but it seems better now.
-Sheep

Sorry folks, I was trying to track down a bug in stats which is causing it to use more sql connections than needed.
Activity: 88
The sheep who walks through walls.
I was seeing this too for about 20 minutes but it seems better now.
-Sheep
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Stats are broken:

Error: Username 1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx not found in database. Please try again later. If this issue persists, please report it to the pool operator.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I'd suggest perhaps making it GBT/Stratum only on the main node, and offering a private getwork port to miners on request.
Only potential problem is, most likely miners using getwork are also the ones who don't pay any attention :|
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
* jgarzik votes for a fixed minimum difficulty which is out of reach of most CPU miners, as well as eliminating getwork.

GBT or stratum only.

But just an opinion.  Smiley  Looking forward to the control panel.

legendary
So the pool is handling that?

What kind of connection does the server have? Seems like a powerful server.

The pool server is actually a very nice machine with very good connectivity.  I won't release full/exact specs, though, as I don't want anyone to consider it a "challenge"...

Have you considered getting rid of getwork (and the botnets) and just do Stratum and GBT?

Yes, but, we probably won't be disabling getwork.  We still have many miners who are happily mining away at just a few Mh/sec or so using getwork.  I see no reason to penalize them because someone doesn't configure their botnet efficiently.

P.S. - I need a raise. Undecided

Nice work Smiley. Can only give you a small bit of your raise ghehe...

Thank you for the tip!  It is greatly appreciated. Smiley

I'm actually spending the remainder of my weeking working on the "My Eligius" control panel.  Probably won't finish it, though.  I had planned to spend the majority of my free time this weekend working on it, however, but, alas, keeping the pool running was a higher priority.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

Happy mining.

-wk
Activity: 77

So, conclusion, the pool is up, its handling the new traffic now, and all should be well for miners. Cheesy

-wk

Nice work Smiley. Can only give you a small bit of your raise ghehe...
Have you considered getting rid of getwork (and the botnets) and just do Stratum and GBT?
Activity: 812
Merit: 587
Space Lord
So the pool is handling that?

What kind of connection does the server have? Seems like a powerful server.
legendary
Greetings Eligius miners!

So, I was up yesterday morning at 5:30AM local time (Saturday!) because of one of my "pool is broken" alarms.  Turns out some insanely huge botnet has decided to call Eligius home, and is adding bots at a rate of about 2-3 unique IPs per second.  And of course, these bots are connecting on port 8337 (getwork/GBT).

So, of course, after building up for a while, the server got bogged down and tripped my alarm.  I've since been trying to figure out a solution to the problem, and it is now just about 27 hours later (I had about a 90 minute nap somewhere in there).

Anyway, after many many attempts at different methods for fixing this, I ended up coming up with a solution which basically amounts to load balancing port 8337.  I've also moved stratum (port 3334) to it's own independent process.

Now, eloipool wasn't really designed to do this, so, I don't know if there are any unforeseen issues with the way I've attempted this.  One side effect comes to mind, and it involves variable difficulty calculation for miners who mine from multiple IPs.  Most likely their vardiff number will be lower than it normally would be because of this if they use GBT/getwork because they wont be getting/submitting work to the same server on the backend.  Not a huge problem.  One which I will solve soon.

Edit: I also just realized that this setup affects vardiff for anyone with hashpower on both GBT/getwork and stratum.

So, conclusion, the pool is up, its handling the new traffic now, and all should be well for miners. Cheesy

-wk

I can't get GBT to connect (8337 port) but stratum works fine. I'm using BFGMiner.
legendary
Is there trouble with the pool? I can ping but I cannot get work at the moment...

EDIT: seems to work again.

Server was having some problems.  We've been getting a lot of high-connection count miners in bursts lately (maybe someone's botnet's failover...), and the server was having some issues handling the load.

I've changed a few things, updating some settings, and some other tweaks.

For now, I've added the X-Stratum redirect header to getwork requests.  This seems to have limited the connections of some users using mining software that does not yet support GBT mining.

Overall, there is just one more change that will need to be made to the pool server code (eloipool) to make everything perfect, but, nothing that is hindering the pool.

This should solve pretty much all of the stability issues people have been experiencing with Eligius.

Happy mining!

-wk

It seems some people have taken this post as an excuse to load some huge botnets onto Eligius!

So, currently dealing with some connection count load management issues.  Please bear with me... Undecided

-wk
legendary
Is there trouble with the pool? I can ping but I cannot get work at the moment...

Server was having some problems.  We've been getting a lot of high-connection count miners in bursts lately (maybe someone's botnet's failover...), and the server was having some issues handling the load.

I've changed a few things, updating some settings, and some other tweaks.

For now, I've added the X-Stratum redirect header to getwork requests.  This seems to have limited the connections of some users using mining software that does not yet support GBT mining.

Overall, there is just one more change that will need to be made to the pool server code (eloipool) to make everything perfect, but, nothing that is hindering the pool.

This should solve pretty much all of the stability issues people have been experiencing with Eligius.

Happy mining!

-wk
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

Longest block ever? 25 hours so far as of this post.
Jump to: