Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 133. (Read 458255 times)

legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
So I might get paid the 0.26804234 BTC in shelved shares that have been sitting there for months?
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Greetings once again!

Good news.  As of our last block we have paid 100% PPS to every share submitted since the reward halving in November. Cheesy

The so-so news is that the pool is now working on paying for work from far in the past (November on back) when it's lucky, and it was brought to my attention that i did not design one detail of the CPPSRB system correctly.  Share values are supposed to be stored as a portion of the block subsidy based on difficulty, in order to be statistically viable long term.  The short of this means that, now that I've fixed this, SMPPS extra credit and shelved shares from prior to the reward halving now have their correct values based on 25 BTC block rewards.  Had I not corrected this, the pool would have been overpaying older miner's old shares at the expense of current miners, now that we're all caught up to the point where paying some of these old shares is possible.

In any case, this may make some older miner's stats look a little odd, since any old EC/SS is now halved to match the current block subsidy, however the numbers are in fact correct.

-wk

legendary
Greetings,

Seems there was another server hiccup this morning that caused the pool software to crash.  Sad
I'm definitely going to look deeper into the cause of this and find a much better solution to this issue soon.

-wk
legendary
GREEEEEEEETINNNNNGS Eligius Miners!

Looks like the web server had a minor issue this morning.  Nothing major, just had stats page offline for a couple of hours.

Long time no post.  Been busy working on the pool, promise!

Whats new:
  • Stats have a new look, check it out.  Its still a work-in-progress.  Thoughts?
  • Instant hashrate data available on user stats page, and stats pages for new miners are available within seconds of their first share, also }instahashrate miner_address irc channel command.
  • Variable difficulty shares enabled! (We now shoot for 32 shares per minute)
  • Optimized a lot of backend scripts quite a bit.

Just a quick update, still a lot more to come!

-wk
legendary
Confirmed:  Eligius is ASIC-ready.  Smiley

Thanks again for testing!  Grin

And, I'm probably less than an hour from having vardiff online (for high hashrate miners) if you'd like to take a stab at it when its complete. Smiley
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

W000t.... I want to buy one of these big boys and point it here... should I go for Avalon batch 2?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099

donator
Ok, thanks.

I thought the violent line going down meant I was losing that part if I didn't wait until it consolidated (which will happen in a minute anyway).

Smiley
legendary
If I go offline for some maintenance work, will this affect my earnings? (yes or no)
If you're not mining for 2 hours, you will lose 2 hours worth of earnings in the long run. Other than that, no.

Well theres that. But I thought that was obvious and didnt need mentioning. Hehe.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
If I go offline for some maintenance work, will this affect my earnings? (yes or no)
If you're not mining for 2 hours, you will lose 2 hours worth of earnings in the long run. Other than that, no.
legendary

Wish I had the time to study the system but I'm swamped with work.

No. No shares are lost and all shares have an equal chancr of being paid under CPPSRB, regardless of miner behavior. (Continuous, backup pool, low or high hashrate, offline for a bit, etc).

(Editted this out. Need to write a real post when I get home)

Hope this helps.

-wk
donator

Wish I had the time to study the system but I'm swamped with work.
legendary
I hate it when having stability problems mean losing BTC you had already "earned".

You never lose BTC you've earned, even if you or the pool goes offline for any issue.  I don't understand your statement.
The line on the chart drops when you stop mining or sometimes when the pool goes offline.  This is because each share is worth less once difficulty is exceeded, and you aren't submitting more shares.  This makes it look like you had earned BTC and are losing them.  IMHO, the chart should behave differently, either it should have a third line for "CPPSRB BTC this round" (that doesn't include ec, which can show up after a block is found), or the line on the chart should only change when blocks are found (or orphaned) like it used to, with only the EC line moving during a round.

First, let me quickly clarify that shares are never worth less in the CPPSRB share log. They are stored with the share value for the time they were mined.

Also, if the pool is offline, *no one's* balances are changing, so, no one could possibly lose earned coins.

Next, I agree that the graph should partition out the estimated earnings from the unpaid ("locked in") earnings. This is on my TODO list for the stats.

But, understand that you never ever lose earnings. If you stop mining during an unlucky round, then sure, your shares will be pushed further into the share log (dubbed shelved shares now, for shares not in the current block's payments) and just won't be paid immediately. They're never "lost."  The pool tracks and stores every single share and its value at the time of mining, and they are only removed from the share log once the block which paid them reaches over 120 confirmations.

Hope this helps.

-wk
Activity: 807
Merit: 500
I hate it when having stability problems mean losing BTC you had already "earned".

You never lose BTC you've earned, even if you or the pool goes offline for any issue.  I don't understand your statement.
The line on the chart drops when you stop mining or sometimes when the pool goes offline.  This is because each share is worth less once difficulty is exceeded, and you aren't submitting more shares.  This makes it look like you had earned BTC and are losing them.  IMHO, the chart should behave differently, either it should have a third line for "CPPSRB BTC this round" (that doesn't include ec, which can show up after a block is found), or the line on the chart should only change when blocks are found (or orphaned) like it used to, with only the EC line moving during a round.
legendary

donator
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
has anyone done a study on how CPPSRB compares to plain PPS, in real-world stats? I'd be interested to see this if it's been done. Say a set number of shares over a period of time, how many get paid and how much is made compared to PPS.
legendary
Trying to track down whatever is causing apache to go insane and spawn hundreds of processes.

I'll have it back up very shortly!

-wk
donator
Stats are down. In fact isn't the whole site down?
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
But, overall, CPPSRB works best with any consistent miner.

-wk

Are you certain about that? How are intermittent miners penalised? I'd thought CPPSRB was fine for all miners, big or small, consistent or intermittent.
There's no penalty. But a intermittent miner would throw all their shares within a certain part of the share log, so the possibility that part of the sharelog goes unpaid would mean a higher % lost than if the same shares were spread out over the sharelog more.

I see your point if you compare CPPSRB to PPS. But compared to other non-PPS methods, it's not a penalty.
Jump to: