Pages:
Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 31. (Read 458150 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 504
Dream become broken often
WizKids's operation center

i think i need new underwear after that picture mmmm...so much wantz
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Taking longer than expected to get all of the servers back to logging into the database.  Still working on it.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
WizKids's operation center

legendary
Thank you everyone for the tips.  I will definitely be taking my girlfriend out tomorrow to try and forget about this. lol.

Indexes are created.  I worried myself for a bit at first when I saw a gap in the data, but, turns out that is when Eligius stopped accepting shares up to the time I brought the pool online in failsafe mode.

Running some final versification and backend is coming back online!
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
And you would be correct.   But I was involved in the Internet and the building of it during the days of 300bph modems, so I suppose it all evens out.

I made a comment to my wife the other day.   "I got into bitcoins because it looks like a fun hobby that I might be able to make a little bit of money at,  but now it's turning into a job".  

This was after receiving pages that my bitcoin workers had gone offline and I was remoting in while on vacation.   I suppose I could have ignored it,  but I'm now at more than pocket change per day in mining and I just can't bear to let my miners go idle.

Frankly,  I think that Whizkid SHOULD charge a fee for the pool.   I believe that people that provide a good service and product should be paid for their efforts.  I'm just puzzled why he doesn't that's all.

I get your point.

IMHO, being in control of a mining pool representing more than 10% of total hashrate will be an asset of its own in the near future. Not implying at all that this is the motivation behind pool operators, but just a fact to keep in mind.
Activity: 280
Merit: 261
New In Town...
I've also sent WK a 0.03 BTC tip!  Thanks for all your time man!

d19feff53d0e0c12a20fc9abf85cab955e525a63d54a4159cf5c6a98d8c4a102

P.S.  To be clear, I sent it to his "tip" address, not the pool.
Activity: 857
Merit: 1000
Anger is a gift.
But I do think it's  fair question to wonder why anyone would spend tens of thousands of their own money, and 12 hour days to support something for free.

You, my friend, were probably not mining when 1 BTC wasn't even traded for 25 cents Cheesy

And you would be correct.   But I was involved in the Internet and the building of it during the days of 300bph modems, so I suppose it all evens out.

I made a comment to my wife the other day.   "I got into bitcoins because it looks like a fun hobby that I might be able to make a little bit of money at,  but now it's turning into a job".  

This was after receiving pages that my bitcoin workers had gone offline and I was remoting in while on vacation.   I suppose I could have ignored it,  but I'm now at more than pocket change per day in mining and I just can't bear to let my miners go idle.

Frankly,  I think that Whizkid SHOULD charge a fee for the pool.   I believe that people that provide a good service and product should be paid for their efforts.  I'm just puzzled why he doesn't that's all.    

So you don't set up a failover in case something like this happens? You would think someone who was "involved in the Internet and the building of it" would think to have a backup pool setup.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
But I do think it's  fair question to wonder why anyone would spend tens of thousands of their own money, and 12 hour days to support something for free.

You, my friend, were probably not mining when 1 BTC wasn't even traded for 25 cents Cheesy

Activity: 59
Data still importing and sorting...

I reckon it is wizz'es girlfriend that is being scammed, just another half hour dear, then I will see to you, honest  Grin

Yep, she's actually getting quite pissed at me at this point Undecided

Maybe we should send a tip to her bitcoin address. Grin
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I'm likewise sending a 0.03BTC tip. You've gone beyond the limit with all the work you're doing for us! Thanks dude!
Activity: 42
But I do think it's  fair question to wonder why anyone would spend tens of thousands of their own money, and 12 hour days to support something for free.

I just want to briefly address this comment.

As for money, the data center we are hosted at I've worked with for years.  They're very helpful.  Most of the hardware we have is donated, however I have been able to score some upgrades and additional items from donations and such and by sweet talking the data center owner. There are actually a few techs there who have their own mining hardware mining on Eligius from inside the same data center. (How's that for low latency?)  So, we have a good deal of support from various aspects of the community, and it is much appreciated.

When I contacted the data center this afternoon and was going over the issue they were all for getting it resolved and went to work seeing what they could come up with to help without breaking the bank.  Turns out we were able to get a very nice upgrade to the main database server for pennies on the dollar.

I put in my personal time and effort because I believe Eligius is successful, I believe it is the best mining pool, and I believe a legitimate and transparent no-fee pool needs to exist for miners to use to lower their variance without giving up huge amounts of their earnings to do so in pool fees.  I personally want such a service to exist, and I use Eligius myself with my own hardware.

Hopefully this helps.  Thank you everyone for your support.

-wk

WK,

What you are doing is fantastic, and I feel badly that your whole weekend is being consumed by this significant downtime and upgrade to the pool. This is Theron H. with the Life On Bitcoin team. When KnCMiner donated a Jupiter to our film project, they set us up on Eligius. This was in early October. Every time the pool has had difficulties, or the coins have gone to the offline wallet, you have always made good. The bitcoin world needs as many honest souls like yourself as it can get.

I just sent you a 0.03BTC tip for your dedication and hard work. Thank you for all you do.
Theron H.
legendary

I just want to briefly address this comment.

As for money, the data center we are hosted at I've worked with for years.  They're very helpful.  Most of the hardware we have is donated, however I have been able to score some upgrades and additional items from donations and such and by sweet talking the data center owner. There are actually a few techs there who have their own mining hardware mining on Eligius from inside the same data center. (How's that for low latency?)  So, we have a good deal of support from various aspects of the community, and it is much appreciated.

When I contacted the data center this afternoon and was going over the issue they were all for getting it resolved and went to work seeing what they could come up with to help without breaking the bank.  Turns out we were able to get a very nice upgrade to the main database server for pennies on the dollar.

I put in my personal time and effort because I believe Eligius is successful, I believe it is the best mining pool, and I believe a legitimate and transparent no-fee pool needs to exist for miners to use to lower their variance without giving up huge amounts of their earnings to do so in pool fees.  I personally want such a service to exist, and I use Eligius myself with my own hardware.

Hopefully this helps.  Thank you everyone for your support.

-wk
legendary
More updates.

Large database merge and sort is now complete.  Recreating database indexes now.

Considering the new server was able to do the merge and sort over 15x faster than the old one, I expect the indexing to be completed within the hour and I can finally fire up CPPSRB and www server replication! Cheesy

-wk
Activity: 58
P.S. - My cable connection seems fine now that the OS install (the bandwidth-need part of this process) is done... figures.

So it usually goes, eh?

Seriously. I've spent many years as a sysadmin. I know how it goes... so my sympathies. Smiley
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
i hope nothing bad happen Wink
Activity: 59
... occams razor tells me that there is more to this than meets the eye.

180 degrees wrong.

Occam would dictate that the *simplest solution* applies. Occam would never see a conspiracy - too complex...

Let wk work, then, when we get our manual payouts - send the man something...
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

Activity: 26

I have no doubt that Eligius will be up and running again sometime soon.

But I do think it's  fair question to wonder why anyone would spend tens of thousands of their own money, and 12 hour days to support something for free.

I suppose whizkid could be a multimillionaire who is doing it for the love of bitcoin,  or that donations amount to thousands a month.   Otherwise occams razor tells me that there is more to this than meets the eye.
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
Thanks WK for all the effort you've done before and what you're doing. In this situation, just focus on the job in hand. And the RESULT is better than thousands of words. Make it smooth and steady.
Sorry for my english.  Grin
by Raico.
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
Ok, so, progress!

The emergency share log is now in the new database and it is now doing its final sort so that I can fire up CPPSRB again.

I'm not sure how long this is going to take, unfortunately, but it shouldn't take forever.  On the old server something similar took about 7 hours using lots of hard disk seeking.  Should be much faster on this new machine.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Again, thank you everyone for the support!

-wk

I've been mining with you since October, thanks for all your hard work Wizkid, tell your girlfriend we all appreciate her sacrifice this weekend! We should all chip in for a mind-blowing date with Wizkid and his girlfriend as appreciation for his work keeping us mining!
Pages:
Jump to: