Pages:
Author

Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins - page 19. (Read 122334 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
one for one and 1 2 3
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
Trezor is still a good choice i would say because it has a display. that is a nice feature but Ledger will have something like that too in the future.

maybe you should split your funds into a trezor and a second device.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

LiteCoinGuy

I went to take a look at their website: digitalbitbox.com, looks like an interesting product!

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware...  

I look forward to finding out how much it will cost and become available.

i would estimate that it will cost 20-40 Euro/Dollar. no firmware updates would be cool indeed.

That price range is very reasonable, I hope that it is priced so.

As a general rule, simplicity is something I admire and like in such products.  Firmware updates are not only a hassle (mild, we hope), but introduce risks, I believe some people had problems with a Trezor firmware update (I did not do the update).  "A BTC wallet for the rest of us!"
But are Trezor wallets still seen as the gold standard?
I would like to get my security in order before investing significantly in Bitcoin.  Electrum with 2FA seems pretty safe and a good encryption seems pretty safe, but I am thinking of a Trezor.

It does seem to have the same issue as a small precious metals safe though, someone can just steal the safe!
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
This is a great source of information and more importantly we can compare their prices, OP you are doing a great job, please keep it up and thank you for sharing.

thank you very much  Smiley
You are welcomed
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
This is a great source of information and more importantly we can compare their prices, OP you are doing a great job, please keep it up and thank you for sharing.

thank you very much  Smiley
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
BitExchange to release new hardware wallet soon:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11740622

Though yet no information on their website, does anybody know any details?
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

Well, I hear you, M.Z. (re sometimes firmware updates maybe being necessary), but I would think that some companies could design and make a cheap & reliable hardware wallet that would never require any updates.

OK, I do not program, but would it not be possible to design a device and write bulletproof software for a simple device? 

Simple, reliable, tough & cheap: is that too much to ask?  Smiley

What is now 'bulletproof' may not be a 'bulletproof' tomorrow. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

Well, I hear you, M.Z. (re sometimes firmware updates maybe being necessary), but I would think that some companies could design and make a cheap & reliable hardware wallet that would never require any updates.

OK, I do not program, but would it not be possible to design a device and write bulletproof software for a simple device? 

Simple, reliable, tough & cheap: is that too much to ask?  Smiley

Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Was looking at the ledger while looking for more info about trezor months ago.

Does anyone know if the blue exists yet?
[[ img]https://i.imgur.com/LZaHp5J.png[/img]

You can check in OP about the status of development. Ledger Blue is under development.

-snip-

i would estimate that it will cost 20-40 Euro/Dollar. no firmware updates would be cool indeed.

As a general rule, simplicity is something I admire and like in such products.  Firmware updates are not only a hassle (mild, we hope), but introduce risks, I believe some people had problems with a Trezor firmware update (I did not do the update).  "A BTC wallet for the rest of us!"

Not always. Sometimes updating firmware are mandatory. For example, if a flaw is found, you should update firmware to prevent any possible attacks. If it doesn't allow firmware updates, you will need to buy a new one with latest firmware if such a thing happen. IMHO making firmware update as optional is better than no firmware update.
Activity: 854
simplicity is king and it should be cheap. i would like to see a wallet for 5 - 8 € in one or two years. that would be a good way to secure the coins of alot of people.
In addition to this, this will lead to mass adoption of hardware wallets which u feel is quite necessary. The HW1 has done quite a good job on the price. Though,  I'm anticipating cheaper hardware wallets :d
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
simplicity is king and it should be cheap. i would like to see a wallet for 5 - 8 € in one or two years. that would be a good way to secure the coins of alot of people.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

LiteCoinGuy

I went to take a look at their website: digitalbitbox.com, looks like an interesting product!

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware...  

As a general rule, simplicity is something I admire and like in such products.  Firmware updates are not only a hassle (mild, we hope), but introduce risks, I believe some people had problems with a Trezor firmware update (I did not do the update).  "A BTC wallet for the rest of us!"
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Was looking at the ledger while looking for more info about trezor months ago.

Does anyone know if the blue exists yet?
[
Not every phone has NFC
And, that limits the usage in my views
Ah yes that is true.

However only 64% of Americans even have a smartphone of any kind. A smaller number have internet access and a mobile camera on their phone.
Maybe 50% of Americans have both. Then some of this number will not have the technical skills to use apps.

So my card has a larger potential market than all mobile wallet apps... and that is just the wealthy tech savy Americans, the numbers will be even lower for 2nd and 3rd world countries.

With my system only the merchant needs a smartphone.

+ my system is more secure and faster than a mobile wallet (because my app can see the TX while sending it).
My system can also work during periods of no internet connectivty what-so-ever due to card side caching of TX data.

Everything has limits, I'm quite happy with mine Smiley
Alright, I didn't mean to criticise though. I just mentioned a drawback.
All the very best with your product Cheesy
Activity: 815
Merit: 1000
Not every phone has NFC
Ah yes that is true.

However only 64% of Americans even have a smartphone of any kind. A smaller number have internet access and a mobile camera on their phone.
Maybe 50% of Americans have both. Then some of this number will not have the technical skills to use apps.

So my card has a larger potential market than all mobile wallet apps... and that is just the wealthy tech savy Americans, the numbers will be even lower for 2nd and 3rd world countries.

With my system only the merchant needs a smartphone.

+ my system is more secure and faster than a mobile wallet (because my app can see the TX while sending it).
My system can also work during periods of no internet connectivty what-so-ever due to card side caching of TX data.

Everything has limits, I'm quite happy with mine Smiley
How can I use this card then?
You go to your local Bitcoin merchant, touch the card to his phone and give your PIN code.

The third time you go to the same merchant no PIN code will be required and you can simply swipe your card like Will Smith did in I, Robot.
(Don't worry it's still safe as there are various checks and limits in place)

If he/she does not have the required app show him/her the QR code on the front of the card.
Tell him/her it will make the Bitcoin payments faster, easier and more robust against internet interruptions.
(For the moment this is for NFC enabled Android phones only)
Doesn't that limit the usage of this card?
I'm not entirely sure which part you refer to.

Of course with a fully open source protocol and terminal app one way or the other I expect an IPhone app down the line - eventually even purpose built POS systems.
Not every phone has NFC
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust

LiteCoinGuy

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware... 

Activity: 623
CTO, Ledger
Yes I browsed it very quickly, some points are still not clear (confirmation of the change, confirmation code ...) but I'll make a more detailed post after spending more time on it. Thanks for the effort and publishing it already.
Pages:
Jump to: