Pages:
Author

Topic: Pirate accomplices - page 14. (Read 30323 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 27, 2012, 11:02:55 AM
Well, there have been a couple of forum members now who have claimed to have discovered his business model (with the inference it's not a ponzi). I couldn't find the older thread in my history, perhaps it was deleted. I

It seems to only survive as a quote from another poster:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.607752

(I can't quote it properly since the thread is locked)

"Quote from: pirateat40 on November 03, 2011, 07:14:09 PM
The Business:
Over the last few months I have been selling BTC to a group of local people.  Now this is a don't ask don't tell group of people so I can't tell you exactly where and to whom the coins ultimately end up with but so far its been pretty painless.   During this last week I maxed out my available coins both personally and "leased" from other members and they needed a lot more.  Up until now, I have dealt with my core group of friends and been able to handle the requests, but they seem to be getting larger and more frequent.  So now I'm looking into other methods for keeping a consistent storage or on-demand availability of coins.  I have two plans available for those sitting on coins.

On-Demand
When an order comes in that is over what I have available I'll send out a request to users in this plan requesting the total needed.  The first to respond gets the deal and the transfer is made.  These coins will be tide up for 1 business day to give me enough time to settle the transaction and acquire the coins to return. This plan pays a flat 3.5%.

Storage
This plan works as an ongoing commitment.  You would send coins anytime to the address provided and you would earn interest on a daily basis.  You can withdraw your balance at anytime, but I do request that you give me a couple hours to insure I have coverage for the next order.  Interest payments are paid out ever 3 days until either you withdraw the funds or my local dealings dry up and I can no longer be profitable. This plan pays 1% per day.

Now I would hope to have enough people on the storage plan that I wouldn't have a need for the on-demand but I'll see how it goes.  I ultimately want the ability to provide coins at anytime and any amount for these guys and we can all share in the profits.

I've created my own custom management software that I've built to monitor deposits, withdraws and interest payments.  As this gets bigger I'll build a front end for it so users can view and manage there account and maybe putting that domain btclending.com to good use.   

For more information send me a PM or just ask below.  You can check out my OTC ratings in my signature.

Edit: I forgot to mention that dealing with anything less than 50BTC is more work than its worth so I've made that the minimum on both plans.

Thanks"

So, it seems like...money laundering!
Activity: 336
August 27, 2012, 10:51:05 AM
Well, there have been a couple of forum members now who have claimed to have discovered his business model (with the inference it's not a ponzi). I couldn't find the older thread in my history, perhaps it was deleted. It had the phrase "open mind" while going through Pirateat40's forum posts revealed how he was legitimately generating consistent 7+% a week. But here is a fresher version, "That being said, read his post on this forum and on IRC and you will get an almost clear picture about his business.":

Trust is earned, not given. What did pirate do to earn trust?
Member of the community, gpumax, OTC rating, etc
Do people know who he is or where he lives?
People are way too lazy this day. Google him. Look at his facebook page. Look at the facebook page of his wife. Look at the pictures of his sons, dogs. Hell, we know more about him, than we know about the whole dev team combined. But in sharp contrast we trust the dev team with ALL our bitcoins.
Do they know how the money they give him is used to make those returns?
I guess sometimes the business model itself can be the trade secret. That being said, read his post on this forum and on IRC and you will get an almost clear picture about his business.
Do they know how much of the profits he keeps for himself?
Yes, he stated to make about 10%/week and gave his lenders about 7%.
Do they even know why he needs other people's money instead of just earning the 7% weekly return on his own money?
He did not have such huge funds, and those were necessary for him to make this profit.

But while all those are neat questions that can be answered easily, it still leaves the actual one unanswered:
I don't really follow the logical connection between "some people may have lost money to a bitcoin scam" and "it's time to panic sell!"

Why would anyone panic sell over this type of announcement? Is the assumption that pirate's was going to dump his btc holdings, causing the price to go down? If so, why would he bother announcing?
Activity: 661
Merit: 500
August 27, 2012, 10:48:40 AM
If I was planning to scam millions of dollars, I'd put a bunch of work months or even a year ahead of time creating sock puppet accounts.

Good point.  This would be quite elaborate, but with a $5mm bankroll, I am sure you can find some social engineering experts looking to take up a challenge.  Hate to see anyone lose money though, hope you guys get it back.
Activity: 518
August 27, 2012, 10:35:32 AM
For the record, by "on the take" I mean goat profited from this scheme (at zero risk), as did all other PPT passthrough providers. There might have been incentives beyond that, but we dont know that.

As for there being 2 possibilities, there is a third, unlikely as it may seem; the OP is written with the explicit assumption it was a ponzi/scam. THis seems rather likely, but is not certain yet.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
August 27, 2012, 10:27:42 AM
Even if you had a brain, I cant look in to yours. The issue here is not if I am sure, a more interesting question is if you are since you have been on the take and convinced countless people to deposit. So are you saying you scammed them knowingly or that you still stand behind pirate?

"On the take"? Care to back that up? 

You were either knowingly complicit in a Ponzi scheme, or full of shit. Which is it?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/look-at-a-pirate-eye-to-eye-if-you-dare-91252

Most of us already know what Pirate does, we have known for months. I did not go to unlocked the secrets of Pirate. He has been very open about what he does.

Activity: 546
August 27, 2012, 10:18:49 AM
Sure thing. If I could read all the PMs...

Well not all PMs. Smiley

Oh he can't? i was sure he could basically access everything

I think that they mean that he cannot read encrypted PMs.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 10:17:45 AM

Well not all PMs. Smiley

Oh he can't? i was sure he could basically access everything
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 10:15:56 AM

Well not all PMs. Smiley
Activity: 252
August 27, 2012, 10:13:20 AM

I already did.. Go to the thread and keep reading... Posting stuff out of context is well.. Silly...

It's not out of context it was the full quote linking to the thread.

It's like p4man already laid out, there is only two options.

Either you knew it was a ponzi, or pirate fooled you. No other way about it.
Activity: 462
I heart thebaron
August 27, 2012, 10:02:41 AM
Most of us already know what Pirate does, we have known for months. I did not go to unlocked the secrets of Pirate. He has been very open about what he does.

My personal funds will stay with pirate. I went to Vegas cuz I have never been and thought this would be an epic time to go.

It was legendary:)

So Goat... Not going to comment on THAT ?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 10:02:09 AM
Theymos also took up Matthew on the bet that pirate will default, so it proves nothing either way.

I bet Theymos knows more than most...

Activity: 434
August 27, 2012, 09:58:40 AM
If I was planning to scam millions of dollars, I'd put a bunch of work months or even a year ahead of time creating sock puppet accounts.
August 27, 2012, 09:57:18 AM
Theymos also took up Matthew on the bet that pirate will default, so it proves nothing either way.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
August 27, 2012, 09:53:30 AM
Lets be honest. Nothing will happen to anyone just like all the scams before.

Show me one time a large theft of bitcoin ever got dealt with criminal charges?

Show me a case where the PERP was in the USA and known 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3_gfgiNz8

Shakaru, Bruce Wagner.
August 27, 2012, 09:53:25 AM

Vladimir,

when did i ever:

- imply that pirate is not operating a ponzi scheme
- imply that i knew what the hell pirate was doing behind the scenes
- imply that i knew the true identity of pirate

please supply direct quotes for the above.

I'm waiting for p4man to do the same for me...  Slandering fools they are...

Also I know payb.tc and I both set up our PPT as a favor to Theymos!

Well I'm not p4man, but here you go buddy-

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/look-at-a-pirate-eye-to-eye-if-you-dare-91252
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1002
August 27, 2012, 09:53:16 AM
Oh it's a 'known' ponzi now? That's a refreshing change from your usual posts.

By all means though, continue to deflect the heat onto your customers if you don't like the questions being asked.   Roll Eyes

Thats why its in quotes.  I get crap for not acknowledging it was an obvious ponzi.  I only raise Theymos' request because I think it indicates perhaps maybe it wasn't such an obvious ponzi as some would have you believe.

Theymos admitted he believed it was probably a ponzi but considered a type of gambling.
Activity: 518
August 27, 2012, 09:49:30 AM
You slandered me, I asked you to back it up. You can't...  So now you ask silly questions and cry when no one respects you Sad

Simple logic isnt slander goat. You were the one claiming not to have been fooled, so you havent changed your mind. There are no other options than either you still believe in Pirates ability to pay back, or you never did.
As for this respect thing; please, you are the only one crying about it. Grow up.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 27, 2012, 09:49:19 AM
Oh it's a 'known' ponzi now? That's a refreshing change from your usual posts.

By all means though, continue to deflect the heat onto your customers if you don't like the questions being asked.   Roll Eyes

Thats why its in quotes.  I get crap for not acknowledging it was an obvious ponzi.  I only raise Theymos' request because I think it indicates perhaps maybe it wasn't such an obvious ponzi as some would have you believe.
Activity: 462
I heart thebaron
August 27, 2012, 09:45:43 AM
I missed that as well, because at last check, I saw theymos talking about insured investments in Pirate.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 09:44:10 AM
Goat do you routinely out your clients and investors?  Remind me to never do business with you.  Crazy I know that I would expect financial privacy on business deals made in .... private.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/idea-for-a-bst-security-82572

How private is that?

I stand corrected.  Can't believe I missed that post.
Pages:
Jump to: