Pages:
Author

Topic: Pirate accomplices - page 12. (Read 30323 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 06:31:02 PM
We have thread after thread around here in which people point out that they're not children and they don't need to be warned about risk and the possibility of losing their money.  And yet here we have a thread in which people want to blame others for the risks they not only chose to take but were almost beating down doors to be allowed to take.

Most start ups will fail.  Most HYIPs will collapse.  These things are a given which people wilfully ignore time and time again in their rush to be in on the ground floor of high risk financial services.

Whether pirate's scheme was a scam or just a spectacular (and likely inevitable) business failure is yet to be determined, but nobody should being doing less due diligence when using pass-throughs than they would if they were making a direct investment.  Those running pass-throughs aren't your financial advisors or portfolio managers.

There should obviously be a serious attempt to find out whether pirate has taken the money and run, spent it on hookers and blow, or simply lost it in what was emphatically known to be an extremely high risk venture.  The appropriate course of action should be determined by the findings of such investigation, not solely by the fact that people lost money (a risk they happily undertook of their own free will).

For once, the amount involved is probably large enough to warrant investigation by conventional financial/computer crimes authorities rather than simply being regarded as a civil matter.  Of course, any such investigation may well reveal that pirate was using everyone's Bitcoins for explicitly illegal purposes and that the interest payments people received were the proceeds of crime.

To those seeking vigilante justice - how likely do you consider it is that you can exact retribution against pirate without any acts of vengeance against him being investigated?  Is this really something you're willing to risk prison time (or worse) over?
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 27, 2012, 06:02:03 PM

No you don't because that is complete and pure hyperbole.  Not a single person has calimed they will engage in vigilantism and even if they did that would be what 1 (or a handful) out of tens of thousands. 

I've actually reported several over the last few days and the forum mods seem to be cleaning them up pretty quick. 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 06:00:35 PM
Just ignore that guy, they (SA/SRS) feed off negative attention. Every time you reply to him he wins.

Because a forum of 100,000+ tech-savvy people is definitely not who the Bitcoin community wants using BTC?  I would have all sorts of uses for such a thing. . . if it wasn't associated almost exclusively with scams and creepy internet stalking vigilantism.   

No you don't because that is complete and pure hyperbole.  Not a single person has calimed they will engage in vigilantism and even if they did that would be what 1 (or a handful) out of tens of thousands.  Hardly "associated almost exclusively".

The fact that you can't see past that means you don't want to see past that.  You have no use for Bitcoin.  You have no use for this forum.  You have no use for your account other than to troll until the trolling gets boring and then you will disappear.

BTW you don't speak for 100,000 people.  You don't speak for anyone except your small insignificant self. 
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
August 27, 2012, 04:06:05 PM
Pass Thru does not isolate you from responsibility.

I tend to agree (and wonder if any big lender already started to lawyer up), BUT we are not speaking about a smart con of real investors Madoff style. Here the scam was mathematically warranted and obvious to anyone with a brain; in fact most if not all "invested" betting to take home enough interests and maybe the capital too before the castle of cards collapsed. That's at least what I knew and did, and in a some months I took home enough interest to compensate all or almost of my capital now gone with a PPT.
This obviously does not absolve in any way the pro-pirate party, on the contrary it aggravate much their position.

Now, I would add that a further proof of the criminal scam is that nobody received a bitcent back (apart from a few fishy second-hand rumors of a few hundreds coins). If Pirate was honest in his intention to pay back, he could have liquidated whatever he was doing and give back what he could like in any business gone wrong. The fact that he instead keeps bulshitting around occasionally and paying nothing from 10 days speaks for itself.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 27, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
This is how I read the following post:

I would have posted here sooner but, in fact, I just learned about this thread.  My "trip report" has already been copied.  As Goat said, with a little thought I had figured out what he was doing before I went.  I went for a good time - and had one.  We did talk "business" a bit and that was fun.  I do appreciate the long post from The Joint because it is genuine and not just another "this is an obvious ponzi, I know everything, you are all stupid" post so I promise to answer the questions in it but I have to go to my day job now.

I met pirate, he is real and legit and I will answer ANY questions you'd like..

I will quickly give you the simple stategy I used to figure it out.  If you try to figure out what he does and how it works from the assumption that it is impossible then, well, you obviously will never figure it out.  When I re-read everything he has ever posted from the working assumption that what he is doing is possible this left my mind open and able to figure it out.  Just do that, assume it is possible, go to his profile, read every post.  Try it.

..but hey, you don't really need my answer, you can find them yourself, you just have to believe it's possible to be legit and pay what pirate pays. Now have faith and go read his every post..

How much he reveals or does not reveal (and he actually reveals a lot) is up to him.  So no, I will not reveal what it is.  Get off you lazy ass and figure it out for yourself just like I did.

..in fact, I wont even tell you anything because it's that easy to "figure it out", and if you can't, well then that's pirates decision and your just SOL...

One final note: eventually others will figure it out, do it, and with competition we can all say goodbye to the great returns.  You all know where I stand.  I will use this window of opportunity and I offer the opportunity to others thought the PPT.x bond system.  If you don't want to invest then don't.  If you do invest in anything, Facebook, Google, BS&T, US treasury bonds, don't ever invest more than you can afford to lose - there is risk in every investment.

.. so you see, it's all transparent really which is why you only have a limited time to take advantage of this excellent "opportunity" so go on, call 080-pirate-ponzi now, and "invest" your money ASAP. But don't say we didn't warn you, you might lose everything because it actually is a ponzi.. but hey, you can lose money doing anything, right? Why not lose it with us..

Carry on with your ponzi shill screaming now, I am sure that is enough fodder to keep you going for a few days.

EDIT:  a little more specific on the frame of mind to be in when you read the posts.  Your answer must be totally allowed by all US law and something your wife, who is an attorney for the sake of this exercise, would not only let you do but would endorse.

Hint: you must really really believe it and don't tell it to anyone otherwise it wont come true..  

Roll Eyes

Interesting post.

This post has disapeared somehow.

If I understand  it correctly Burt Wagner was quoted as saying:

Carry on with your ponzi shill screaming now, I am sure that is enough fodder to keep you going for a few days.

EDIT:  a little more specific on the frame of mind to be in when you read the posts.  Your answer must be totally allowed by all US law and something your wife, who is an attorney for the sake of this exercise, would not only let you do but would endorse.

That would be nice to have that Burt's post "undeleted" and posted here.

This might be what you're looking for.

As Goat said, with a little thought I had figured out what he was doing before I went.  

I must be too stupid to figure it out then.

Quick question though: If I would have figured out how to make 10% on a weekly basis with minimal risk I would have leveraged my ass off, halted all my other activities and performed the scheme for a year straight. After this (or may be a bit sooner) I would have handed it over to a friend I completely trust for a fee and spent the rest of my days traveling the globe with my my multi million dollar equivalent of buying power.

You say you know what he does. So why don't you?

Edit:

Sorry about the overall tone of the post. It usually takes a lot to annoy me but everyone has his buttons to press. Calling something which I find complicated I put considerable effort in trying to resolve "simple" is one of my buttons. It's like reading a paper where it says "it is trivial to see"  after which I need several hours to deduce what is so trivial to see. Infuriating  Cheesy
Activity: 518
August 27, 2012, 03:34:56 PM
So, I'm going to be lynched for that? Or exiled or excluded? "Oh, you have a different mentality than mine, you must be dangerous! It's only free speech if you think like me!".

There is a world of difference difference between fooling and being fooled, scamming or being scammed. If you genuinely believed it to be true, and it turns out it isnt,  even if you spread the  word, you were still  scammed,  not scamming. You didnt profit from it, you lost.

If you think pirate is a scam, why do people still use GPUMax?  

Pirate co owns gpumax, but he isnt the only one. Besides, the risk is minimal, one or two days worth of mining.  But if gpumax paid out once a week or month, I doubt there would be many miners there right now.

Why GPUMax is so popular? Why is this business still running very well and making payments? Why do new accounts were recently added? Why so much hashpower for so little public work? I mean, the total payments are around 100-150 BTC/day. From that, pirate makes 10%. I doubt the guy is here for 10 BTC/day.

Seems to me zux0r is the one doing all the work there.

I know how some of you feels like Batman trying to save the world from the bad guys, but before giving any "justice" to anybody here, at least try to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together. It's now a witch hunt and you guys are making severe accusations without strong proof. Quoting parts of some posts of some guy at some time is not a proof  when you don't fit the history and context of the post together.

I can only speak for myself, but the accusations I make are under the stated assumption this turns out to be a scam, which seems highly likely  now, but Im willing to give it another week or so before I drop any such qualifications .
(There are some exceptions, regardless of the outcome of this saga, goats constant contradictions and flatout lies should stick to him regardless of what happens next. If by some miracle pirate pays out, Im sure Goat will tout he was always right and said so all along, and we should all bow and apologize, not to mention, we should forget he just claimed the opposite, and has been claiming the opposite of that opposite before. Whatever makes him more money.)
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
August 27, 2012, 03:29:50 PM
I just want to say here that notme deserves a lot of credit for how he handled his passthrough (he paid back his subaccounts out of his own pocket). Kudos to him, man. That's not the kind of integrity you see everyday, much less on the internet.

HB

+1  - Reputation is worth more in the long-run.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 27, 2012, 03:14:59 PM
Plenty of fraudsters have public lives and stick around too long. That is not evidence for or against legitimate conduct. Neither do pseudo-anonymous allusions to vigilantism magically negate the responsibility those, who claimed to know what business pirate was engaged in while defending his investment vehicle, have to come forward with that information.
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
August 27, 2012, 02:23:08 PM
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
August 27, 2012, 02:18:06 PM
This is how I read the following post:

I would have posted here sooner but, in fact, I just learned about this thread.  My "trip report" has already been copied.  As Goat said, with a little thought I had figured out what he was doing before I went.  I went for a good time - and had one.  We did talk "business" a bit and that was fun.  I do appreciate the long post from The Joint because it is genuine and not just another "this is an obvious ponzi, I know everything, you are all stupid" post so I promise to answer the questions in it but I have to go to my day job now.

I met pirate, he is real and legit and I will answer ANY questions you'd like..

I will quickly give you the simple stategy I used to figure it out.  If you try to figure out what he does and how it works from the assumption that it is impossible then, well, you obviously will never figure it out.  When I re-read everything he has ever posted from the working assumption that what he is doing is possible this left my mind open and able to figure it out.  Just do that, assume it is possible, go to his profile, read every post.  Try it.

..but hey, you don't really need my answer, you can find them yourself, you just have to believe it's possible to be legit and pay what pirate pays. Now have faith and go read his every post..

How much he reveals or does not reveal (and he actually reveals a lot) is up to him.  So no, I will not reveal what it is.  Get off you lazy ass and figure it out for yourself just like I did.

..in fact, I wont even tell you anything because it's that easy to "figure it out", and if you can't, well then that's pirates decision and your just SOL...

One final note: eventually others will figure it out, do it, and with competition we can all say goodbye to the great returns.  You all know where I stand.  I will use this window of opportunity and I offer the opportunity to others thought the PPT.x bond system.  If you don't want to invest then don't.  If you do invest in anything, Facebook, Google, BS&T, US treasury bonds, don't ever invest more than you can afford to lose - there is risk in every investment.

.. so you see, it's all transparent really which is why you only have a limited time to take advantage of this excellent "opportunity" so go on, call 080-pirate-ponzi now, and "invest" your money ASAP. But don't say we didn't warn you, you might lose everything because it actually is a ponzi.. but hey, you can lose money doing anything, right? Why not lose it with us..

Hint: you must really really believe it and don't tell it to anyone otherwise it wont come true..  

Roll Eyes

Interesting post.

This post has disapeared somehow.

If I understand  it correctly Burt Wagner was quoted as saying:

That would be nice to have that Burt's post "undeleted" and posted here.

August 27, 2012, 02:08:51 PM
All of you are a part of this theft.

No! No no no. They went and gambled and had some fun. I think they really believed in his business. They're victims, not thieves.

This isn't a productive path to go down anyway.

Why, because they were complicit in bringing in massive amounts of new "investment" to an incredibly shady lender running a ponzi scheme, all the while trying to shut down any questioning of the scheme and conspiring to maintain opaque accounts etc? Well fucking waaa. I feel so sorry for them.  Roll Eyes
August 27, 2012, 02:00:39 PM
All of you are a part of this theft.

No! No no no. They went and gambled and had some fun. I think they really believed in his business. They're victims, not thieves.

This isn't a productive path to go down anyway.
August 27, 2012, 01:58:15 PM
when did i ever:

- imply that pirate is not operating a ponzi scheme
- imply that i knew what the hell pirate was doing behind the scenes
- imply that i knew the true identity of pirate

please supply direct quotes for the above.

I'm waiting for p4man to do the same for me...  Slandering fools they are...

@ Vlad    At first when your mag called this a ponzi I was happy cuz I knew that when it was shown not to be a ponzi your mag would lose face. But then I realized the odds are much greater that your mag goes out of print way before Pirates bank closes up...

@ Raphy   Yes, I will insure Pirate funds (as stated in my insurance thread). The reason for the fee is not because of the ponzi risk but because of other risks. Real risks that no one seems to ever point out cuz they can't get over the ponzi theme. Also there is a fee because opportunity cost. If I use the BTC for insurance then I can't use it in other places.

The one thing that I have noticed is the more people yell herrp a derrp ponzi the more people invest after checking it out. You guys are helping this grow. No one with half a brain thinks it is a ponzi...

6 months from now you will be calling ponzi, 1 year from now you will be calling it a ponzi. We get it you think it is a ponzi move on unless you really have nothing better to do with your life.

For starters. You knew enough to meet him in Vegas along with all the others who are now a part of this too. All of you are a part of this theft.
August 27, 2012, 01:06:36 PM
The terms of the PPTs were very clear. The vigilante sentiment that has been floating around lately is just sickening (even considering the hyperbole).

HonestBob- if you are willing to put honest in your name, I know we don't have to worry about you, but is it really a "vigilante sentiment" when folks start talking about the consequences of stealing over $5,000,000? To me it is more cause and effect. Nothing sentimental about it. You offer a service and make good on that service, you deserve your reward, enjoy your profit and pass Go, collect $200 and have a great life. You create a multi-dimensional scam, recruit a willing army of dupes to pimp it for you, fleece five million dollars worth of value from the "investors" who contributed to your magical money making machine, and then think because you can curse at a couple of folks you get to walk away free and clear with your gains? Nope. And still not sentimental, you deserve that reward too, it just won't be as pleasant as the first. You created the scenario, you live with the results, irrespective of how horrific they may be. Lay down with dogs, expect fleas. Lay down with an anonymous money laundering operation that is generating profits at a South Sea Bubble rate and then think you can just walk away with everything? Expect consequences. Big scary, bad men with bad intention consequences.

Don't play if you don't like results when you don't win. Big boy games that can make 7% gains in a day, every single day do not attract big boys that are forgiving when the balloon pops.

I see what you are saying. If I were Pirate, I too would be scared for my life. I guess the line between discussing the grave reality of revenge vs. actually condoning it is a blurry one for me.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
August 27, 2012, 01:05:06 PM
Well, there have been a couple of forum members now who have claimed to have discovered his business model (with the inference it's not a ponzi). I couldn't find the older thread in my history, perhaps it was deleted. It had the phrase "open mind" while going through Pirateat40's forum posts revealed how he was legitimately generating consistent 7+% a week. But here is a fresher version, "That being said, read his post on this forum and on IRC and you will get an almost clear picture about his business.":

Patrick also said the he figured it out.

I would like to provide some insight into what was going on as I mapped out the mechanics of what I thought was going on to Pirate last week.  It had taken me a while to work out the money flows, and he confirmed that I had it pretty much straight.  For the doubters, they would say he was simply lying and stringing me along, but that could be said of most people on the forum.
August 27, 2012, 01:02:38 PM
Or don't be surprised when the exercise of free market response to unbalanced trade is the forcible removal of that offending hand with a rusty chain saw. While your wife watches. And your children are sold into white slavery to satisfy your debt to the scary men with weapons who also believe in free markets that you tried to cheat.

^^This is the real reason bitcoin will never become mainstream.  This internet-vigilante-stalker shtick does more harm to bitcoin's image than any obvious scam.

Thanks for your constructive thoughts little sockpuppet. I'm so glad that you have determined what is good and not so good for bitcoin. Scam = good, talking about what happens to scammers = bad in your world. Okay, glad you cleared that up. Go back to your corner and resume drooling, the grown ups really don't need your input on this one. We'll let you know if there is a call for the simpleton vote, and you will be the guy.
August 27, 2012, 12:58:01 PM
The terms of the PPTs were very clear. The vigilante sentiment that has been floating around lately is just sickening (even considering the hyperbole).

HonestBob- if you are willing to put honest in your name, I know we don't have to worry about you, but is it really a "vigilante sentiment" when folks start talking about the consequences of stealing over $5,000,000? To me it is more cause and effect. Nothing sentimental about it. You offer a service and make good on that service, you deserve your reward, enjoy your profit and pass Go, collect $200 and have a great life. You create a multi-dimensional scam, recruit a willing army of dupes to pimp it for you, fleece five million dollars worth of value from the "investors" who contributed to your magical money making machine, and then think because you can curse at a couple of folks you get to walk away free and clear with your gains? Nope. And still not sentimental, you deserve that reward too, it just won't be as pleasant as the first. You created the scenario, you live with the results, irrespective of how horrific they may be. Lay down with dogs, expect fleas. Lay down with an anonymous money laundering operation that is generating profits at a South Sea Bubble rate and then think you can just walk away with everything? Expect consequences. Big scary, bad men with bad intention consequences.

Don't play if you don't like results when you don't win. Big boy games that can make 7% gains in a day, every single day do not attract big boys that are forgiving when the balloon pops.
August 27, 2012, 12:57:16 PM
I just want to say here that notme deserves a lot of credit for how he handled his passthrough (he paid back his subaccounts out of his own pocket). Kudos to him, man. That's not the kind of integrity you see everyday, much less on the internet.

HB
Activity: 518
August 27, 2012, 12:54:18 PM
Pass Thru does not isolate you from responsibility. Those who created the Pass Thru mechanism, and marketed it did so as the agents of the system, and will not have any place to hide when the note comes due. You are as responsible to those who entrusted funds to you to invest with pirate as pirate himself is, you chose to be a middleman and profit off the transaction. You now own the obligation. How are you going to make good on it is what you should be thinking about right now.

Hmm.. Im not sure I  agree.
Their main responsibility would be sticking to the letter of their contracts. Particularly someone like  PayBTC who has to his credit   been fairly upfront about the pirate risk, never said he understood or even trusted the business model, but there was demand for passthroughs bonds and he delivered and fulfilled his end of the bargain.

That might even be true for goat's bonds, but the big difference here is Goat claimed to know what pirate did, and said over and over again it was not a ponzi. Now it appears he did indeed know what pirate did and it was a ponzi.  Perhaps that could or should make him liable for losses incurred, IANAL, but even if not, it sure makes him a hypocrite lying sack of shit.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 12:50:33 PM
anti free market you are.

Please don't misuse the term.   Adam Smith defined free markets as markets free from corruption, fraud, coercion, and governmental interference.  A ponzi scheme is not a free market.  Not unless you accept that the victims have a right to extract $5M in compensation from the operator.  Having the perpetrators hide behind the defense of the law (governmental interference) while claiming "free market, free market" is the height of hypocrisy.

The free market would involve the creditors using any means necessary to secure recovery of their funds including seizing all Pirates assets, his livelihood, his businesses, his future earnings/pensions/inheritances, and holding as collateral anything he holds dear.  The same would be done for those who helped to perpetuate this fraud.

Thankfully for Pirate and others there is no free market but please please don't pretend a free market is only a one way street.  A market which allows a criminal to engage in fraud but then protect him from consequences of that fraud is not free, not even close.
Pages:
Jump to: