Author

Topic: Qora | POS | Assets | Names | Polls | Automated Transactions | Social Network - page 155. (Read 249434 times)

Activity: 419
Merit: 250
I would hope that if Qora decides to go down the path of giving up its rights to Microsoft that they first remove AT from the software as I will never agree for Microsoft to have any IP rights to AT (which was invented by myself and coded entirely by CIYAM Developers).

So to be clear - there will be no assistance for the AT code in Qora from the CIYAM Developers if any such change of software license takes place.

Qora wouldn't be giving up its rights to Microsoft I don't believe.

I've been wrong before, why would you say this?
Activity: 422
I would hope that if Qora decides to go down the path of giving up its rights to Microsoft that they first remove AT from the software as I will never agree for Microsoft to have any IP rights of AT (which was invented by myself and coded entirely by CIYAM Developers).

So to be clear - there will be no assistance for the AT code in Qora from the CIYAM Developers once any such change of software license has occurred.

Don't be worry, qora won't join MIcrosoft.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
I would hope that if Qora decides to go down the path of giving up its rights to Microsoft that they first remove AT from the software as I will never agree for Microsoft to have any IP rights to AT (which was invented by myself and coded entirely by CIYAM Developers).

So to be clear - there will be no assistance for the AT code in Qora from the CIYAM Developers if any such change of software license takes place.
legendary
There is no way MS could claim any dominion over code that has already been distributed with an MIT license, even if all contributors to Qora agreed to change the license at the time of signing on to Azure service.

Whilst I don't doubt that Microsoft would lose any lawsuit over a clone prior to the change of license that certainly doesn't mean that they wouldn't try it and my point was the bug fixes made after the change of license could not be applied to the clones (unless written in a different manner which is another potential lawsuit).

Microsoft (and other such companies) spend many millions per year on lawyers and are always in court and quite simply CIYAM does not have the funds to be involved in any lawsuit with the likes of them.

Personally I would hope that the Qora team come up with the funds to retain ownership of the IP if they decide to go down this path.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Regardless of the actual legality of the license agreement Microsoft are very fond of fighting law suits (even when they are likely to lose them) so I won't be permitting CIYAM to be involved with any situation that might end up in a potential law suit with Microsoft.

Imagine if every bug fix (published in a future version) could not be applied to a clone for fear of a lawsuit with Microsoft for merging the commit (you just aren't going to risk the trouble IMO).

Read both answers here:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/173193/open-source-library-can-the-project-owner-change-the-license-to-be-more-restric

There is no way MS could claim any dominion over code that has already been distributed with an MIT license, even if all contributors to Qora agreed to change the license at the time of signing on to Azure service. Relevant quotes:

Since the license covers distribution the terms you agreed to when they distributed it to you still apply, they can't suddenly revoke an MIT library that has been in use for years.

However, code previously licensed under a permissive license, gives others the right to distribute that code to anyone they wish to. So, old code, once distributed under a permissive license, can be re-distributed under that same license. In theory that means the old code remains available to everyone as Open Source software, provided someone continues to distribute it.

Take it with a grain of salt, it is stackoverflow legal advice after all, but the MIT license is pretty short and clear in its intentions.
legendary
Regardless of the actual legality of the license agreement Microsoft are very fond of fighting law suits (even when they are likely to lose them) so I won't be permitting CIYAM to be involved with any situation that might end up in a potential law suit with Microsoft.

Imagine if every bug fix (published in a future version) could not be applied to a clone for fear of a lawsuit with Microsoft for merging the commit (you just aren't going to risk the trouble IMO).
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

1. Because of copyright and patent agreements that must be signed as part of the application process, NO Clones of qora or any derivative works based on Qora can be made.  For those of you who wish to be part of CIYAM's new Blockchain, you will be disppointed.  Sad

2. A licensing contract that involves patent and distribution rights has to be signed before being accepted into the program. 

3. The contract cannot be annulled once joined.  

Can you publish the documents that need to be signed in terms of copyright and patent agreements, or is there an NDA or something, because point #1 seems untenable in my IANAL opinion. As the license stands, MIT, anyone is free to fork and modify the code. In order to change the license, I believe you would need signed agreement from all contributors to the current codebase, and that would apply only to future versions, not already MIT released code.
Activity: 655
Merit: 500
I have voted with "Not sure yet". i miss some information. is it really not possible to clone Qora before participating on the Azure platform?

Personally I would not risk cloning software that then ends up under the control of Microsoft (who have had a long track record of trying to put down open source projects and trying to hinder their progress as they know it spells the end of their closed source software model).

If Qora goes down this path I do hope that they pay so that the intellectual property remains under the MIT license - but if they elect not to then CIYAM won't be involved with any clone of it (and for sure Ethereum would have paid to keep their IP open).

I also think Azure is too risky, and looks like a passing fad. Cost benefit isn't worth it IMO. Qora should stay independent as long as possible.
legendary
I have voted with "Not sure yet". i miss some information. is it really not possible to clone Qora before participating on the Azure platform?

Personally I would not risk cloning software that then ends up under the control of Microsoft (who have had a long track record of trying to put down open source projects and trying to hinder their progress as they know it spells the end of their closed source software model).

If Qora goes down this path I do hope that they pay so that the intellectual property remains under the MIT license - but if they elect not to then CIYAM won't be involved with any clone of it (and for sure Ethereum would have paid to keep their IP open).
x13
Activity: 336
Things are called shit for a reason, dear.

Important Announcement: Poll created for Qora's Potential Involvement in Microsoft Azure BaaS Program

Please be advised that a poll has been created by Skerberus in regard to Qora's involvement in Microsoft's Azure Blockchain As a Service Program (BaaS).  This will most likely affect the value of your investment, so we'd highly encourage the whole community to participate!  The outcome of this poll will decide whether we will apply to join the program or not.

Azure Poll (You can access the decentralized voting system inside your Qora client by going to the Voting tab): http://qora.co.in:9090/index/blockexplorer.html?poll=%20do%20you%20want%20qora%20to%20join%20microsoft%20azure%20baas%3F

In a nutshell, MS Azure BaaS platform is the cloud computing/deployment platform designed specifically for blockchain-as-a-service (BaaS) purpose. By deploying the blockchain on Azure, it would be easier for potential developers and companies to interact and experiment with the blockchain, and create custom apps on top of the platform using existing MS technologies.

PROs:

1. By joining the program, we will be able to reach institutions and enterprises (banks, accounting firms.. etc) who otherwise will not be interested in learning and working with Qora.  In other words, we will be able to reach audience outside of current Crypto community.

2. Microsoft will soon offer "Azure Blockchain Marketplace" with rigorous certification process (security vetting conducted by Microsoft). This is the kind of recognition we need.

3. Azure has tools that'll make building/deploying new Blockchain technologies much easier: check out https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/devtest-lab/

4. Developers with no previous exposure to Crytocurrency and Blockchain Technologies will be able to interact/experiment with Qora utilizing existing Microsoft Technologies.

5. Big-name coins like Ethereum are already on it.

CONs:

1. Because of copyright and patent agreements that must be signed as part of the application process, NO Clones of qora or any derivative works based on Qora can be made.  For those of you who wish to be part of CIYAM's new Blockchain, you will be disppointed.  Sad

2. A licensing contract that involves patent and distribution rights has to be signed before being accepted into the program. 

---------------------------------------------------

The Poll will run for 2 weeks and close on April 15th.  Feel free to add to my list of Pros and Cons as you see fit. Happy Voting!  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
xyz
Activity: 1848
Merit: 772
Seems that Bter's Qora wallet is working again - after nearly one year!
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
Important Announcement: Poll created for Qora's Potential Involvement in Microsoft Azure BaaS Program

Please be advised that a poll has been created by Skerberus in regard to Qora's involvement in Microsoft's Azure Blockchain As a Service Program (BaaS).  This will most likely affect the value of your investment, so we'd highly encourage the whole community to participate!  The outcome of this poll will decide whether we will apply to join the program or not.

Azure Poll (You can access the decentralized voting system inside your Qora client by going to the Voting tab): http://qora.co.in:9090/index/blockexplorer.html?poll=%20do%20you%20want%20qora%20to%20join%20microsoft%20azure%20baas%3F

In a nutshell, MS Azure BaaS platform is the cloud computing/deployment platform designed specifically for blockchain-as-a-service (BaaS) purpose. By deploying the blockchain on Azure, it would be easier for potential developers and companies to interact and experiment with the blockchain, and create custom apps on top of the platform using existing MS technologies.

PROs:

1. By joining the program, we will be able to reach institutions and enterprises (banks, accounting firms.. etc) who otherwise will not be interested in learning and working with Qora.  In other words, we will be able to reach audience outside of current Crypto community.

2. Microsoft will soon offer "Azure Blockchain Marketplace" with rigorous certification process (security vetting conducted by Microsoft). This is the kind of recognition we need.

3. Azure has tools that'll make building/deploying new Blockchain technologies much easier: check out https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/devtest-lab/

4. Developers with no previous exposure to Crytocurrency and Blockchain Technologies will be able to interact/experiment with Qora utilizing existing Microsoft Technologies.

CONs:

The Poll will run for 2 weeks and close on April 15th.  Feel free to add to my list of Pros and Cons as you see fit. Happy Voting!  Grin

GoldenKnight369, you are a good promoter for Qora! Thanks!

ONE thing additional: Qora could chain to azure any time later - but cannot leave azure once joined, if I understand right!
Maybe it's better to wait!?

Apparently NEM decided to join the Microsoft Azure program, but avoided signing a licensing contract that involves patent and distribution rights by paying to join Azure.

Could the Qora community also consider paying to join the Microsoft Azure program, and avoid losing the rights to the software like NEM?

How much would it cost to pay to to join?

It's another option we might consider and vote on.

FYI

From the New Economy Movement blog (http://blog.nem.io/status-on-the-azure-project/):

Status on The Azure Project
29 Mar 2016

The tech team, rb2 and Patmst3r, worked hard in getting NEM into a docker for Azure. In case some of you who may not know Azure, it is a Microsoft cloud computing platform and infrastructure. Recently, some months ago, Microsoft opened up Azure for crypto projects to place their solutions there in the cloud repository so that testers are able to download and testbed these initiatives from one location.
We spent a considerable amount of time getting this done. Unfortunately, at the last stage of our submission we were shown the agreement. In the agreement, to put our solution up there, requires us to give away all our rights. This is not quite palatable.
This article has been pretty explicit:

http://bitcoinist.net/microsoft-bullies-open-source-is-the-blockchain-their-next-target/

The agreement which is publicly available for us to peruse by Microsoft, confirms it:

http://windowsazure.github.io/docs/Contribution%20License%20Agreement.pdf

Having given it due consideration and thoughts, we have decided that NEM should be independent. Instead, we are proposing to still put it on Azure as a docker but we pay for it. By paying for it, we are assuming to be a customer of MS instead. In doing so, we are free from losing our rights as well as still prove that we are able to put it on the Azure cloud and allow testers to work on our solution without NEM losing any rights at all.
In short, putting the NEM docker on Azure, in our opinion, is nothing more than making it simpler to install, vis-à-vis via Github. Putting it on Azure also extends our solution to making it available to people who are familiar with the MS service platform.

NEM does not believe that it should lose its rights to anyone, not in the very spirit of how crypto projects are founded upon.
On that basis, NEM would like to announce that it has no intention to get itself listed in Azure for free like the rest of the other projects, unless MS waives that agreement, for which if they are sincere, they should. Instead NEM will investigate a paid addition to Azure, achieving the same goal for a cost but keeping our full rights.

xyz
Activity: 1848
Merit: 772

Please be advised that a poll has been created by Skerberus in regard to Qora's involvement in Microsoft's Azure Blockchain As a Service Program (BaaS)This will most likely affect the value of your investment, so we'd highly encourage the whole community to participate!  The outcome of this poll will decide whether we will apply to join the program or not.

PROs:

1. By joining the program, we will be able to reach institutions and enterprises (banks, accounting firms.. etc) who otherwise will not be interested in learning and working with Qora.  In other words, we will be able to reach audience outside of current Crypto community.

CONs:

1. Because of copyright and patent agreements that must be signed as part of the application process, NO Clones of qora or any derivative works based on Qora can be made.  For those of you who wish to be part of CIYAM's new Blockchain, you will be disppointed.  Sad

The Poll will run for 2 weeks and close on April 15th.  Feel free to add to my list of Pros and Cons as you see fit. Happy Voting!  Grin

GoldenKnight369, you are a good promoter for Qora! Thanks!

ONE thing additional: Qora could chain to azure any time later - but cannot leave azure once joined, if I understand right!
Maybe it's better to wait!?
Activity: 66
Merit: 10

PROs:

CONs:

Good answer, thanks for the explanation! It would be cool if the Qora dev came back, he's one of the true crypto legends IMO. Hopefully the time away from this project helped recharge his batteries some. The new guy sounds top notch!

Don't get your hopes up because it's a long-shot.  Smiley  I was just hoping that (original) Qora dev would somehow provide consultation and offer advice to the dev team since he's the most valuable asset there is.  Smiley  He's an extremely busy man, and I am not so sure he would agree to make code contribution in any form.  In case you haven't read this, this is original Qora dev's code repository: https://github.com/razakal/Qora

yes! I am sure you will love the new guy! I don't want to say anything yet because I want to get more profile information (stuffs he had worked in the past.. credential.. etc) before I release anything.  Stay tuned!  Wink
Activity: 544
Good news! Qora is about to have a new developer joining the dev team (someone who has been contributing to qora code base and providing important consultation in the past).  I'm going to confirm all the details before making an announcement.  Smiley

Ciao!

That's great news! Is the original Qora dev still on the team?

Funny you mentioned the original dev.  Smiley He has been online and checking his PMs in the past couple days.  I was hoping to get in touch with him and convince him to come back as a consultant.  However, the developer I was referring to was not the original Qora dev.  Smiley

That developer is very enthusiastic about Qora and have agreed to join Qora's dev team.  I just wanted to send words to all involved parties and notified everyone before formally announcing his involvement.  I believe his joining is critical to the success of this project, and is absolutely necessary if we want to take this project to the next level.

Cheesy

Good answer, thanks for the explanation! It would be cool if the Qora dev came back, he's one of the true crypto legends IMO. Hopefully the time away from this project helped recharge his batteries some. The new guy sounds top notch!
Good news! Qora is about to have a new developer joining the dev team (someone who has been contributing to qora code base and providing important consultation in the past).  I'm going to confirm all the details before making an announcement.  Smiley

Ciao!

Funny you mentioned the original dev.  Smiley He has been online and checking his PMs in the past couple days.  I was hoping to get in touch with him and convince him to come back as a consultant.  However, the developer I was referring to was not the original Qora dev.  Smiley

That developer is very enthusiastic about Qora and has agreed to join Qora's dev team.  I just wanted to send words to all involved parties and notified everyone before formally announcing his involvement.  I believe his joining is critical to the success of this project, and is absolutely necessary if we want to take this project to the next level.

Cheesy
Activity: 544
Good news! Qora is about to have a new developer joining the dev team (someone who has been contributing to qora code base and providing important consultation in the past).  I'm going to confirm all the details before making an announcement.  Smiley

Ciao!

Jump to: