Pages:
Author

Topic: Received BFL Jalapeño Today! - page 7. (Read 40241 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 30, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
I just can't understand how anyone could defend BFL unless he/she has an incentive to do it (promised early machine or something) or hopes he might get one by placing himself in their backs.
I do it because I don't like people to be wrong on the internet.  If something needs to be corrected, I correct it.  BFL didn't purposefully do anything malicious, so I defend them.  They don't deserve to have various non-customers on the Bitcointalk forum slander them.

I think it's fair to warn everybody reading here that NO MORE PREORDERS should be placed until they really prove they can give PRECISE delivery dates for both past and new orders.
I think it is fair to warn everybody about past performance, but it is not fair to tell them what to do.  If people want to place preorders, it's no business of yours.  Warn them that BFL has only delivered a handful of units since taking preorders back in 2011.  Warn them that BFL has no precise delivery date.  But who are you to decide whether it is a good or bad investment for them?  That is a decision for them to make.

In fact they have delivery dates, which has been proved A LIE for +6 months. Delays and more delays. It's outrageous to see how they send a few units to PR guys and WIRED magazine just to keep the money flowing in their preorder backlog. Man, how could you not feel that? They should be working their asses off in order to explain to their customers when they will be able to manufacture en ship en masse, but they seem to spend all their energy trolling in these forums and in PR stunts + aggressive advertising.

It's a shame.
There are facts in what you say, but there are also conclusions presented as facts that seem fueled by frustration.

Fact: They missed deadlines.  But the word "lie" implies intent.  How can you be absolutely sure their project plans didn't reflect the ship dates that they stated at that time?  It's absolutely fair to say that they were wrong about the dates, but the conclusion of intent is unsupported by any facts I'm aware of.  They've been quite transparent about the problems they've been having (tho I do feel that they're somewhat overdue for an update atm.)  Unsupported conclusions are not "facts."

Fact: They've been marketing and doing press at the same time they've been working on product and missing deadlines.  But to imply that they're spending 'all of their energy' on these things to the exclusion of working on shipping products is (at best) hyperbole.

I too am disappointed that it's taken this long for them to ship, but I don't feel that disappointment and frustration give a person license to present, as fact, conclusions based on two-thirds fact and one-third anger.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002
April 30, 2013, 07:26:50 PM
congrats, happy for you
April 30, 2013, 07:26:24 PM
I just can't understand how anyone could defend BFL unless he/she has an incentive to do it (promised early machine or something) or hopes he might get one by placing himself in their backs.
I do it because I don't like people to be wrong on the internet.  If something needs to be corrected, I correct it.  BFL didn't purposefully do anything malicious, so I defend them.  They don't deserve to have various non-customers on the Bitcointalk forum slander them.

I think it's fair to warn everybody reading here that NO MORE PREORDERS should be placed until they really prove they can give PRECISE delivery dates for both past and new orders.
I think it is fair to warn everybody about past performance, but it is not fair to tell them what to do.  If people want to place preorders, it's no business of yours.  Warn them that BFL has only delivered a handful of units since taking preorders back in 2011.  Warn them that BFL has no precise delivery date.  But who are you to decide whether it is a good or bad investment for them?  That is a decision for them to make.
+1
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 30, 2013, 07:19:33 PM

In fact they have delivery dates, which has been proved A LIE for +6 months. Delays and more delays. It's outrageous to see how they send a few units to PR guys and WIRED magazine just to keep the money flowing in their preorder backlog. Man, how could you not feel that? They should be working their asses off in order to explain to their customers when they will be able to manufacture en ship en masse, but they seem to spend all their energy trolling in these forums and in PR stunts + aggressive advertising.

It's a shame.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
April 30, 2013, 07:15:11 PM

I don't understand, is there some kind of mind control going on that I don't know about?

People will read Rampions message and take heed. That is their choice. The rest of the "hostages" will have to wait to see what happens or bail.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 30, 2013, 07:12:13 PM

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 30, 2013, 07:09:06 PM

legendary
April 30, 2013, 07:07:23 PM
April 30, 2013, 06:34:30 PM
Different value system than yours.

Seems legit Mr. Mahatma Tongue

I've made one mistake in that post though, "I just can't undestand" should be replaced with "There's no chance in hell"
I don't understand why people bother trolling for no reason/gain.  Seems a waste of time to me.  But I assume they have a different value system than mine, and therefore different motivations.

In this thread, there are a lot of people trying to claim that I (as a customer of BFL) should think or feel or act a certain way, but I don't.  I find such implications somewhere between silly and offensive, and said as much.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
April 30, 2013, 06:11:01 PM

Seems legit Mr. Mahatma Tongue

I've made one mistake in that post though, "I just can't undestand" should be replaced with "There's no chance in hell"
April 30, 2013, 06:08:42 PM

So here's what fascinates me:

Why are people who aren't even customers so much more upset about this stuff than actual customers?  It's seriously a lot of time and (apparent) emotional investment into a game in which you have no skin.  Pure troll factor?

Us old timers lived through the Mybitcoin.com debacle. We lived through the Bitcoin Savings and Trust implosion. We were here for the Bitcoinica apocalypse. We saw Mooncoin run off with everyone's money.  We saw exchanges get hacked and coins get stolen. We have seen fraud after scam after con appear on these forums. Noobies show up with dollar signs in their eyes, get fleeced of their cash and dumped in the gutter.

It is not healthy to let this sort of thing continue. A bit of skepticism is healthy.
Trying to shout down skeptics only adds fuel to the fire, and is usually an indication that the shouters have something to hide.
Ah, that makes sense.  I might suggest that some here go well beyond skepticism.

Edit: does "being registered two weeks before me" really give you "old timer" status relative to me?
April 30, 2013, 06:04:12 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
April 30, 2013, 06:02:56 PM

Why are people who aren't even customers so much more upset about this stuff than actual customers?  It's seriously a lot of time and (apparent) emotional investment into a game in which you have no skin.  Pure troll factor?

Us old timers lived through the Mybitcoin.com debacle. We lived through the Bitcoin Savings and Trust implosion. We were here for the Bitcoinica apocalypse. We saw Mooncoin run off with everyone's money.  We saw exchanges get hacked and coins get stolen. We have seen fraud after scam after con appear on these forums. Noobies show up with dollar signs in their eyes, get fleeced of their cash and dumped in the gutter.

It is not healthy to let this sort of thing continue. A bit of skepticism is healthy.
Trying to shout down skeptics only adds fuel to the fire, and is usually an indication that the shouters have something to hide.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
April 30, 2013, 05:55:35 PM
Activity: 609
Merit: 500
April 30, 2013, 05:50:31 PM

For a $149 investment it'll repay itself and make $1300 on top in one month of mining.

Think again. You paid about 23 BTC 10 months ago. You'll make .3 btc/day. Even if the difficulty doesn't skyrocket (which it will), you need more than 2 months to just break even. You aren't making any profit for a long time.

No, he paid in USD, just like everyone else.  Nice try, though.

I paid 13btc when I ordered mine.   Sad
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
April 30, 2013, 05:45:07 PM
Wow  Shocked  PuertoLibre,I think that is the best post you have ever written!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cool

I have to give you a trollfactor of 0 on that one  Cheesy

Keep talking like that & I may have to friend you on FB  Cheesy
April 30, 2013, 05:30:46 PM
Well, I'm a BFL customer, and here's my story:

I ordered the 60GHash version back in early March.  I had been watching closely and figured that while their R&D process was being dogged by Murphy's Law, there was at least an 80% chance they'd ship before they got strung out too far and imploded (taking my money with 'em.)

I paid using the BitPay BTC to USD option, because at the time I'd spent zero direct dollars on BTC (mined every coin I had), and figured I'd just pay for the Bitcoin stuff with BTC.  (Seemed only natural.)

So, I knew at the time of payment that it was a gamble, and I'll bet most of the other people did too.  I'm following with great interest, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

1.  I'm not worried about the fact they haven't meaningfully shipped yet.  The possibility I might never see any hardware existed then, and still exists today.  It's a little bit of a gamble just like everything else associated with Bitcoin right now.

2.  I'm not upset that the value of BTC climbed and there's a loss in opportunity cost while I wait.  I factored this in at the time.

3.  I personally find it refreshing that Josh is voicing a real, human presence in the forums, even if he does get sucked in by the trolls once in a while.  There was a book in the business section back in the 90s called "The Cluetrain Manifesto" that advocated communicating with your customers as a human being, not a corporate robot.  Because marketing is about relationship building, and people have relationships with people, not companies.  And there's no disputing that Josh is engaging us as a human being, here.  For better or for worse.

Overall, my concern level about this is about 3 on a 10 scale, and if I do wind up losing my money altogether (which may still happen), my disappointment will be maybe 5 on a 10 scale, because I knew it was a possibility at the outset.  Everyone that pre-ordered with BFL knew there was a risk of delay or failure, or it wouldn't be a pre-order.

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
April 30, 2013, 04:53:43 PM
legendary
April 30, 2013, 04:39:39 PM
There are a handful of people who placed orders on the tail end of the FPGA process who elected to wait for the ASICs (since they were shipping RSN (TM)) after they had already placed and paid for their order.  Scared is one of them, and we ship by date paid, not order number anyway, so it's kind of immaterial.
Makes me wish I had ordered Jala's instead of Singles, given that I was an FPGA upgrader as well!   Wink
Activity: 294
Merit: 262
April 30, 2013, 04:21:14 PM
There are a handful of people who placed orders on the tail end of the FPGA process who elected to wait for the ASICs (since they were shipping RSN (TM)) after they had already placed and paid for their order.  Scared is one of them, and we ship by date paid, not order number anyway, so it's kind of immaterial.

And Upgrader hold her Position by the first pay date ??

Jala to a SIngel oder Little Singel ?

josh ?

What happened to the 1/3 1/3 1/3 plan?

wooooow, wait - you trying to nail down bfl on statements they made?! big mistake!
Pages:
Jump to: