Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 239. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 115
What I find hilarious of this current crash, is that it isn't the chinese selling. :Cheesy
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Which one does the history fit better?  Because we're certainly not anywhere close to it right now.  It's hard to believe we're this much below what should be $2000.

Marketcap has higher R^2 = 94.6 so it is better.
Marketcap doesn t seem right to me. People don t care of the inflation of the marketcap, so the price doesnt reflect it.

Maybe something like volume*price could be more accurate?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Which one does the history fit better?  Because we're certainly not anywhere close to it right now.  It's hard to believe we're this much below what should be $2000.

Marketcap has higher R^2 = 94.6 so it is better.
donator
Can someone crunch the numbers and verify the above trendline data?

x=64 months
y= 10.4
Taking the exponent of 10. That gives me a 10 Billion market cap.

10^10.4 = 25B.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

R^2 = 0.946 (amazing, even better than price-based trendline R^2 = 0.93)
y = 0.1152x + 3.0251 (x monthly), indicating that the monthly trendline average for April = 2000.

Can someone crunch the numbers and verify the above trendline data?

x=64 months
y= 10.4
Taking the exponent of 10. That gives me a 10 Billion market cap.
Which leads to a trend line price of around 793$.

Perhaps the formula uses natural log instead or something else I am missing?

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

Does that mean that Bitcoins are on sale for 80% off right now!? 

I love a good sale!  Grin

Yes, that is exactly what it means. My original trendline discount was only 60%, now this is even more!

If Internet is destroyed, then you lose money. Otherwise the deal is pretty good  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Attention shoppers, sale in aisle 3!  Bitcoin 80% off!
Assuming we still have some time before the sigmoid inflection point approaches.

When do you think it will go back up?

Hopefully it is just a "one hour sale" or a "24 Hour sale" at most!  Cheesy
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
BTC-e seems to be going full retard !
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Assuming we still have some time before the sigmoid inflection point approaches.

When do you think it will go back up?
Activity: 869
Merit: 585
donator

Yes, that is exactly what it means. My original trendline discount was only 60%, now this is even more!

If Internet is destroyed, then you lose money. Otherwise the deal is pretty good  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
The trend is based on a model and rpietila's model has one major shortcoming. I came to this conclusion by analysing the early 2010 and 2009 data. The fact that there is something wrong here becomes clear when one looks at the graph and focuses on 2009 and early 2010. My first thought was that the data from this period was way off; however rpietila provided enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that his estimate was at least in the right ballpark. This led me to question the model instead. My conclusion is that using price for the log fit is incorrect and that market capitalization should be used instead. The impact of this is most profound in 2009. My preliminary results predict a trend-line right now of around 4000 per BTC rather than around 900 USD per BTC. It also predicted from the 2010 and later data a constant price around 0.005 USD per BTC for a significant part of 2009, vindicating rpietila's guess that I had severely questioned.

That can be a momentous discovery, so I needed to do it as soon as I had the time Wink

I used the monthly data in the trendline thread, multiplied by end-of-month total number of bitcoins, to have a set of 64 consecutive months' marketcaps. Then took a log of these and plotted.

y = 0.1152x + 3.0251 (x monthly), indicating that the monthly trendline average for April = 2000.

donator
The trend is based on a model and rpietila's model has one major shortcoming. I came to this conclusion by analysing the early 2010 and 2009 data. The fact that there is something wrong here becomes clear when one looks at the graph and focuses on 2009 and early 2010. My first thought was that the data from this period was way off; however rpietila provided enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that his estimate was at least in the right ballpark. This led me to question the model instead. My conclusion is that using price for the log fit is incorrect and that market capitalization should be used instead. The impact of this is most profound in 2009. My preliminary results predict a trend-line right now of around 4000 per BTC rather than around 900 USD per BTC. It also predicted from the 2010 and later data a constant price around 0.005 USD per BTC for a significant part of 2009, vindicating rpietila's guess that I had severely questioned.

That can be a momentous discovery, so I needed to do it as soon as I had the time Wink

I used the monthly data in the trendline thread, multiplied by end-of-month total number of bitcoins, to have a set of 64 consecutive months' marketcaps. Then took a log of these and plotted.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Edit: I am more convinced than before that your trendline errs on the side of predicting a BTC/USD rate on the low side and can lead to a premature sell indicator.

The sell signal is when price = 3*trend Smiley

I understand this but if the trend is below where it should be then the sell signal will be premature.

the trend is never below where it should be, it is just a trend. The price can be below the trend.
Sell signal level has nothing to do with current price. It is predefined. It is only a function of time and trend (sell signal happens when current price = trend price * 3)

Activity: 338
Rpietila what are your thoughts about going long on margin for someone who don't have fiat anymore, would it be a reckless or savvy move?

Only risk what you can afford to lose. People who do such things are usually punished.
Well I will only risk some BTC, and by definition I should only have in BTC what I can afford to lose, so all is OK Grin

Sorry, it is more clear. In my opinion BTC is enough of a ride without margin. You could wipe out ALL your bitcoins very fast and be left standing when the real rise starts. Don't forget that we are looking at a 4 months decline right now and that on a pure TA, things don't look good. Fundamentals are very good, but in your position I would wait for clear reversal signals before going on margin. Catching a falling knife is risky, catching a falling knife while jumping is, well yes, reckless.
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
Rpietila what are your thoughts about going long on margin for someone who don't have fiat anymore, would it be a reckless or savvy move?

Only risk what you can afford to lose. People who do such things are usually punished.
Well I will only risk some BTC, and by definition I should only have in BTC what I can afford to lose, so all is OK Grin
Edit: I am more convinced than before that your trendline errs on the side of predicting a BTC/USD rate on the low side and can lead to a premature sell indicator.

I understand this but if the trend is below where it should be then the sell signal will be premature.

the trend is never below where it should be, it is just a trend. The price can be below the trend.
Sell signal level has nothing to do with current price. It is predefined. It is only a function of time and trend (sell signal happens when current price = trend price * 3)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

donator

Jump to: