Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 346. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
There is a bitcoin embassy in Israel. No one lives in it, but I would say that you have about 5-10 hardcore bitcoiners there everyday, all day, plus walkins, newbs, and events of 50-100 people.
I think thats a good way to start

Cool! What is their website?

You may be intererested in the Bitcoin Embassy in Montreal http://bitcoinembassy.ca/
And the New York Bitcoin Center https://www.facebook.com/NYCoin
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
There is a bitcoin embassy in Israel. No one lives in it, but I would say that you have about 5-10 hardcore bitcoiners there everyday, all day, plus walkins, newbs, and events of 50-100 people.

Cool! What is their website?
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
I have been one of the main contributors here, and have probed and found the limits of this forum, like many have done before me and subsequently moved on.

As bitcoin price increases, it is possible to boost your productivity by increasing your time available, and attaching even more capital to it. I have already vacated most of my time, so the next thing to do, is to make it count for more by establishing a physical community with a congress centre in Estonia. This gives much more leverage as hundreds of people will become regular visitors (only a few % of the regulars would reside in the centre at any given time). A university in the original 14th century sense. Or a monastery. Open for everyone who wants to contribute. This is what I have found to be the best move in the situation we're in, and I am ready to call it a supernode or something else if somebody makes up a better name.

We can change the world a lot just by providing an antitestimony to the dominant dullness, and living it. In the age of Internet, others will find out with quite little effort.

It takes probably only 1000 days before bitcoin is at $1M. So if you want to be one of the people who made it, time to join the action! Wink
Let us know when its open, I want to visit Smiley And nice thread! Kiitos ja rehellistä käsipäivää, samaa kansalaisuutta kun ollaan.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 254
I have been one of the main contributors here, and have probed and found the limits of this forum, like many have done before me and subsequently moved on.

As bitcoin price increases, it is possible to boost your productivity by increasing your time available, and attaching even more capital to it. I have already vacated most of my time, so the next thing to do, is to make it count for more by establishing a physical community with a congress centre in Estonia. This gives much more leverage as hundreds of people will become regular visitors (only a few % of the regulars would reside in the centre at any given time). A university in the original 14th century sense. Or a monastery. Open for everyone who wants to contribute. This is what I have found to be the best move in the situation we're in, and I am ready to call it a supernode or something else if somebody makes up a better name.

We can change the world a lot just by providing an antitestimony to the dominant dullness, and living it. In the age of Internet, others will find out with quite little effort.

It takes probably only 1000 days before bitcoin is at $1M. So if you want to be one of the people who made it, time to join the action! Wink

donator
So that there is no need to listen to interruptive questions. Just live our life to the fullest, research the mysteries of the nature, correct the wrongs of the society and publish everything.

I tried it in a small scale for 4 days again last weekend. It works better than writing in a random forum.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10

What are you gonna do there? a conference? otherwise, why do you need physical presence of the community in Estonia  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

cant wait. Grin
donator

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

Rpietila, what is your opinion on the connection between Bitcoin price and Bitcoin network's energy usage, that is, the second one following the first.  At what price level do you think this could become a problem?

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007
Hide your women

I am here interviewing people that need a job, for my employer. If you think that every true capitalist is benevolent, then I have a religious cult I want to introduce you to, if I can get you out of the cult that has you so deeply entwined.

A true capitalist exists in fantasy novels along with benevolent dictators and community organizers.

Capitalists usually start out well, but get tempted to use the political system to tilt the playing field in their favor. The State is basically an engine for concentrating wealth and capitalists who use it for that purpose are no longer true capitalists.

Your employer is not forcing you to work for him, so he's giving you an option you wouldn't otherwise have and for this he's bad? He's exploiting you? Would you be better off without your job? So quit.
legendary
Hide your women

Your world view is frightening

Perhaps I should adjust my world view so you should be less frightened? The price system is the most efficient, effective way for allocating scarce resources in existence. I don't buy a Lambo (yet) because they are too expensive for effectively doing anything BUT conveying status, but make no mistake. The difference between that and diamond stud ear rings is only one of degree.   

The free market has brought more wealth, education and happiness to the poor of the world than every do-gooder bleeding heart that ever existed. The market gives people choices and I'm not conceited enough to tell others what they should be buying, when, and at what price.  The governments of the world limit our choices ostensibly for our own good. It is incredibly harmful. India has capital controls. Bitcoin evades them. You wanna help Indians? Sell them bitcoin.
Activity: 476

I just wanted to say that I agree there is a lot to do on the home front as well. Education is incredibly important.
But I also feel that the less educated someone is, the more prone they are to become an enemy. Educating people abroad, as well as sharing your culture, and showing appreciation for theirs, makes them less likely to ever become your enemy IMO.

And because we in the west are already pretty well educated, well fed, well clothed, healthy... as a citizen of the world my attention naturally falls on the third world countries, where they need help a lot more than in my own country. And as a "rich westerner", I can do a lot of good.

I have a friend from Cameroon.. in the village where he comes from they don't have roads.. they don't have addresses.. nor do they have postal service. He has learned a lot about these sorts of things now.. infrastructure, recycling (he now runs his own recycling business), system development.. and that knowledge will benefit his part of the world.. and, I believe, all of us in the long run.

And while there are definitely people that do charity work for status, and organizations that use people's empathy to gather funds but never intend to solve any problems... saying that this is true for everyone is simply false.
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

I thought I was somewhat on your page, but equating buying a lambo to charity is a despicable analogy.

True charity has nothing to do with money, it is about sacrifice and giving some of your joy to others, most likely in service. To suggest that purchasing a luxury that serves no purpose other than to prove status or decorate your garage is on par with the sacrifice of those that truly provide charity is the most embarrassing thing i have ever heard.

If I could wave a magic wand I would have your comments shamed into the trash bin of human stupidity.

You don't think people provide charity for as a way of getting status? That strikes me as naive.

Your world view is frightening
legendary
There is so much to be done, and the rise of bitcoin gives us unprecedented means for doing it. Perhaps never before have freedom-loving people had so much power in their hands.

This feels very good. Very good indeed  Cheesy

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class

I am here in India right now. The western world point of view is far too simplistic to solve the problems of India or similar cultures. Yes, people that are dying need charity and assistance. However, People that exist in decrepit circumstances do not necessarily need charity.

The class system in India will take a century of opportunity to unravel, not charity.

I can give every person collecting garbage on the street a home, a car, a thousand dollars a month and India will still not employ him, give him respect, or even allow him in their house. You cannot undo a millennium of indentured servants and class discrimination with good intentions.

Also, I think we need to be careful what we wish for, the most precious and rare of human traits is found in abundance in India, and that trait is more scarce in the USA than a benevolent capitalist, HUMILITY.

I gotta agree that humility is more scarce than benevolent capitalists, because all true capitalists are benevolent. Every trade freely made makes both parties better off. If it didn't, there would be no trade. You ARE evidently severely lacking in humility if you think you can go to the third world, armed mostly with good intentions, and think you can do more harm than good. Economics is largely the study of unintended consequences.

I am here interviewing people that need a job, for my employer. If you think that every true capitalist is benevolent, then I have a religious cult I want to introduce you to, if I can get you out of the cult that has you so deeply entwined.

A true capitalist exists in fantasy novels along with benevolent dictators and community organizers.
legendary
Hide your women

I thought I was somewhat on your page, but equating buying a lambo to charity is a despicable analogy.

True charity has nothing to do with money, it is about sacrifice and giving some of your joy to others, most likely in service. To suggest that purchasing a luxury that serves no purpose other than to prove status or decorate your garage is on par with the sacrifice of those that truly provide charity is the most embarrassing thing i have ever heard.

If I could wave a magic wand I would have your comments shamed into the trash bin of human stupidity.

You don't think people provide charity for as a way of getting status? That strikes me as naive.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
It's an old saying: charity begins at home. I don't want to help someone who might later become an enemy of mine. It's harder to monitor and manage what your contributions are used for on the other side of the world. There's far too many opportunities to teach people independence right across the street from me. There maybe less class structure in America, but we don't exactly have an enlightened society either. Lots of work to be done right here, and it's easier to do it when you don't have to travel so far. Traveling is expensive and that's money you could be spending on charity.  I think you're in it for the good feelings. well, that's fine, but you get no credit from me. You want to travel and rationalize the expense. Don't bother. It's your money so use it how you want.

Goat's Lamborghini purchase is a better act of charity, IMHO. It helps employ Italian craftsmen, shippers, auto parts makers and their families. It helps support the families of the men who work in the oil fields. It incentivises education in cryptocurrencies, economics, finance, automotive engineering, etc. It promotes peaceful free trade, software and infrastructure development, and the discipline of delayed gratification.

We should all purchase Lamborghinis for the needy in India!   Grin
legendary
Hide your women
There is so much to be done, and the rise of bitcoin gives us unprecedented means for doing it. Perhaps never before have freedom-loving people had so much power in their hands.

This feels very good. Very good indeed  Cheesy

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class

I am here in India right now. The western world point of view is far too simplistic to solve the problems of India or similar cultures. Yes, people that are dying need charity and assistance. However, People that exist in decrepit circumstances do not necessarily need charity.

The class system in India will take a century of opportunity to unravel, not charity.

I can give every person collecting garbage on the street a home, a car, a thousand dollars a month and India will still not employ him, give him respect, or even allow him in their house. You cannot undo a millennium of indentured servants and class discrimination with good intentions.

Also, I think we need to be careful what we wish for, the most precious and rare of human traits is found in abundance in India, and that trait is more scarce in the USA than a benevolent capitalist, HUMILITY.

I gotta agree that humility is more scarce than benevolent capitalists, because all true capitalists are benevolent. Every trade freely made makes both parties better off. If it didn't, there would be no trade. You ARE evidently severely lacking in humility if you think you can go to the third world, armed mostly with good intentions, and think you can do more harm than good. Economics is largely the study of unintended consequences.
legendary
It's an old saying: charity begins at home. I don't want to help someone who might later become an enemy of mine. It's harder to monitor and manage what your contributions are used for on the other side of the world. There's far too many opportunities to teach people independence right across the street from me. There maybe less class structure in America, but we don't exactly have an enlightened society either. Lots of work to be done right here, and it's easier to do it when you don't have to travel so far. Traveling is expensive and that's money you could be spending on charity.  I think you're in it for the good feelings. well, that's fine, but you get no credit from me. You want to travel and rationalize the expense. Don't bother. It's your money so use it how you want.

Goat's Lamborghini purchase is a better act of charity, IMHO. It helps employ Italian craftsmen, shippers, auto parts makers and their families. It helps support the families of the men who work in the oil fields. It incentivises education in cryptocurrencies, economics, finance, automotive engineering, etc. It promotes peaceful free trade, software and infrastructure development, and the discipline of delayed gratification.

legendary
Hide your women

Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

The movie Matrix rather properly (although parabolically) described the state of our non-freedoms.

There were some predictions in the Matrix as well; if they were correct, not before the fith or seventh incarnation / layer of the cryptosystem (Neo) will you be able to get the empowering tools you need.

Do not put too much faith in Bitcoin as it may fail / as there will be more incarantions of the cryptosystem to come.
Jump to: