Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 347. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
There is so much to be done, and the rise of bitcoin gives us unprecedented means for doing it. Perhaps never before have freedom-loving people had so much power in their hands.

This feels very good. Very good indeed  Cheesy

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class

I am here in India right now. The western world point of view is far too simplistic to solve the problems of India or similar cultures. Yes, people that are dying need charity and assistance. However, People that exist in decrepit circumstances do not necessarily need charity.

The class system in India will take a century of opportunity to unravel, not charity.

I can give every person collecting garbage on the street a home, a car, a thousand dollars a month and India will still not employ him, give him respect, or even allow him in their house. You cannot undo a millennium of indentured servants and class discrimination with good intentions.

Also, I think we need to be careful what we wish for, the most precious and rare of human traits is found in abundance in India, and that trait is more scarce in the USA than a benevolent capitalist, HUMILITY.

True.  Part of the goal of the India trip I am taking is help facilitate a 3 day conference that we will fund in hosting 1200 women from Delit villages and basically giving them hope that they can rise above what their culture says their value is.  Then these woman can go back to their small villages where they are already seen as leaders and carry on the message that they have worth and we can begin to slowly chip away at the millennium of class discrimination that you are talking about.  Just being provided with transportation, food and lodging for this conference will send a huge message to these woman that they have value.  

There is much to be done, but sitting back and saying that charity won't do anything is not true either.  We can make small changes that will grow into bigger changes.

I won't argue that "humility" is a lacking trait in the USA though!  Cheesy  Part of the reason I want to go to India is to get a little more of that necessary trait while I am there.  It is easy to live in one of the richest nations in the world and get complacent and lose a sense of what is really going on outside of our mansions and strip malls.
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
There is so much to be done, and the rise of bitcoin gives us unprecedented means for doing it. Perhaps never before have freedom-loving people had so much power in their hands.

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class

I am here in India right now. The western world point of view is far too simplistic to solve the problems of India or similar cultures. Yes, people that are dying need charity and assistance. However, People that exist in decrepit circumstances do not necessarily need charity.

The class system in India will take a century of opportunity to unravel, not charity.

I can give every person collecting garbage on the street a home, a car, a thousand dollars a month and India will still not employ him, give him respect, or even allow him in their house. You cannot undo a millennium of indentured servants and class discrimination with good intentions.

Also, I think we need to be careful what we wish for, the most precious and rare of human traits is found in abundance in India, and that trait is more scarce in the USA than a benevolent capitalist, HUMILITY.

Well spoken.
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Fame is not necessarily desirable either though!  But it can be useful to have a public presence.  I used to perform quite a bit and was in the public eye a little.  I sang the National Anthem at a Kings game once.  It was completely stressful!  I told BitChicksHusband after the game that there was WAY better ways to get free tickets to a hockey game!  I do OK in public, but I don't love it!  But for the sake of doing some good in this world I should get beyond that.

No, I don't desire fame either. But I see a difference between being a singer or Hollywood star, and being a Bill Gates or Winklevoss. The former are in the tabloids all the time, have to deal with paparazzi, and the stress of being on stage. The later do their thing behind the scenes, and when they do appear in the media; it's not "popular" media. I prefer to be a "behind the scenes" guy. But I don't need to be anonymous.

... helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class is liable to do more harm than good.

Depends on how you help them. Give them the infrastructure and knowledge needed to run a business for example, and they become self sufficient. Combating diseases is also important, but while you're at it: teach them how to stay healthy when you leave too.
legendary

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class is liable to do more harm than good. Poor people use the medicine, food, shelter you give them and have lots of babies, more than they can support. in the end you have another, larger generation with the same needs as their parents.  Subsidizing need creates more need. it's why welfare in the U.S. created a huge and growing underclass with no prospects and almost complete dependence on the Gov't and charity. If you want to help the unfortunate, don't give them stuff or money. Give them freedom. Most will not know what to do with freedom. They were lost anyway. The few that survive and thrive will give the others hope and roll models to follow.

this may not feeeeel good, but if you're only doing it to feel good, then it's not really charity, IMHO.

Sure, welfare in the US is totally debatable as to whether or not it helps, but there are people in some places in this world where helping the poor with medicine, food and shelter will not only save their lives it gives them a chance to get on their feet again.  Many of these organizations will train them and provide an education and opportunities for employment as well.  Not all charities enable dependance on the handouts.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007
Hide your women

Hate to pee in your pool, but helping poor people when they are effectively slaves of a ruling class is liable to do more harm than good. Poor people use the medicine, food, shelter you give them and have lots of babies, more than they can support. in the end you have another, larger generation with the same needs as their parents.  Subsidizing need creates more need. it's why welfare in the U.S. created a huge and growing underclass with no prospects and almost complete dependence on the Gov't and charity. If you want to help the unfortunate, don't give them stuff or money. Give them freedom. Most will not know what to do with freedom. They were lost anyway. The few that survive and thrive will give the others hope and roll models to follow.

this may not feeeeel good, but if you're only doing it to feel good, then it's not really charity, IMHO.
legendary
BitChick - I would love it if you could blog about your trip to India. Not only would it be very interesting to read about, it would also help the image of our community and perhaps get more people interested in donating if they can see the work being done (including me).

I used to work at an e-zine about women's rights, and India was a main topic with all the rapes going on. The women there do hold a special place in my heart because of that.

That's a good idea.  I have never had a blog but have thought about it.  I guess it would be an effective tool for showing the good that could come from Bitcoin, and as a woman I am not the "typical" user. Wink

I guess the only downside I see is that BitChicksHusband is pretty serious about anonymity.  He expects Bitcoin to rise in value, and although we are not huge holders compared to many people, he is aware that we are still early adopters and could perhaps become targets at some point so I would have to consider that.  Many of you seem to have no concerns about that?  I tend to not worry about security but that has gotten me in trouble too, especially in the case I have had a few computer viruses, which annoys him like crazy!  I guess I can't blame him for that. I will talk with him though for sure.  

Yes, discuss it with your husband. But you could still be anonymous and write about / take some pictures from India. No need to to disclose names or be in the pictures.

On the other hand... rpietila is probably the wealthiest of all of us in this thread, and he's anything but anonymous. I don't hold enough to be worried about anonymity at this stage.. but if bitcoin truly blows up... nah, I still won't care about anonymity. I would care more about security though. Everyone knows Bill Gates is insanely rich.. but he's also a very public person and does a lot of charity work. So having wealth and being open about it doesn't mean you become a target.. unless you also tell everyone that you have the money in your mattress, in which case you should expect to have visitors. Smiley

The Winklevoss twins also hold a lot of bitcoin and are definitely not anonymous.

Fame is not necessarily desirable either though!  But it can be useful to have a public presence.  I used to perform quite a bit and was in the public eye a little.  I sang the National Anthem at a Kings game once.  It was completely stressful!  I told BitChicksHusband after the game that there was WAY better ways to get free tickets to a hockey game!  I do OK in public, but I don't love it!  But for the sake of doing some good in this world I should get beyond that.
BitChick - I would love it if you could blog about your trip to India. Not only would it be very interesting to read about, it would also help the image of our community and perhaps get more people interested in donating if they can see the work being done (including me).

I used to work at an e-zine about women's rights, and India was a main topic with all the rapes going on. The women there do hold a special place in my heart because of that.

That's a good idea.  I have never had a blog but have thought about it.  I guess it would be an effective tool for showing the good that could come from Bitcoin, and as a woman I am not the "typical" user. Wink

I guess the only downside I see is that BitChicksHusband is pretty serious about anonymity.  He expects Bitcoin to rise in value, and although we are not huge holders compared to many people, he is aware that we are still early adopters and could perhaps become targets at some point so I would have to consider that.  Many of you seem to have no concerns about that?  I tend to not worry about security but that has gotten me in trouble too, especially in the case I have had a few computer viruses, which annoys him like crazy!  I guess I can't blame him for that. I will talk with him though for sure.  

Yes, discuss it with your husband. But you could still be anonymous and write about / take some pictures from India. No need to to disclose names or be in the pictures.

On the other hand... rpietila is probably the wealthiest of all of us in this thread, and he's anything but anonymous. I don't hold enough to be worried about anonymity at this stage.. but if bitcoin truly blows up... nah, I still won't care about anonymity. I would care more about security though. Everyone knows Bill Gates is insanely rich.. but he's also a very public person and does a lot of charity work. So having wealth and being open about it doesn't mean you become a target.. unless you also tell everyone that you have the money in your mattress, in which case you should expect to have visitors. Smiley

The Winklevoss twins also hold a lot of bitcoin and are definitely not anonymous.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes

legendary

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
In what ways do you intend to make an impact on the world?

What in the world needs impacting?

Buy North Korea.  Don't have to manage it.  Put it under South Korean management.  Samsung maybe.

You may laugh, but if it can be sold, it can be bought.  And control is sufficiently central that it would not take many parties to agree to a sale.

A stick as well as a carrot would help, but I'm not in that business.

I am laughing, but not for the reasons you might expect. I think it's more valuable than one might assume, and you can expect that to be backed up with the sticks that belong to those that already bought.

Edit: I see you're not actually 100% serious, didn't detect it
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Buy North Korea.  Don't have to manage it.  Put it under South Korean management.  Samsung maybe.

You may laugh, but if it can be sold, it can be bought.  And control is sufficiently central that it would not take many parties to agree to a sale.

LOL. Great plan. So if anyone is going to do this, let me know, I will contribute a few BTCs.

Excellent.  Thanks.  I think 500 tonnes of Au equivalent would suffice.  I might be able to arrange a stick as well.

Perhaps I should take interest for a group buy, and when the pledge amount exceeds the cost estimate, we can make a tender.  John K. escrow, you think?

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

You may laugh, but if it can be sold, it can be bought.  And control is sufficiently central that it would not take many parties to agree to a sale.

LOL. Great plan. So if anyone is going to do this, let me know, I will contribute a few BTCs.
Activity: 707
Merit: 500

North Korea needs help.  Much of the world needs help.  As individuals we can only make small differences it seems.  I personally am in the process of planning for a trip to India this coming Fall.  I, along with a group of women, will be going and working with a Christian organization called Harvest India doing some humanitarian work (paying for water wells, feeding the hungry, spending time with the orphans, bringing funds for the continued help and rehabilitation of those sold into prostitution).  That said, any donations are welcome!  I am planning on selling some of my coins to pay my share but there is so much work to do there that I would love to have even more.  I was thinking it would be cool to pay for a water well (or two or three!) with Bitcointalk donations and then take pictures during the dedication ceremony and posting it on here.  They make a plaque that says who paid for it and I could put "Bitcoin Forum Community" or something like that.  Just thinking. 

That's quite inspirational BitChick - and a reall good thing you're doing there. I've often thought about doing some development work myself.
I will make a msall BTC donation closer to the time and when you have it all organised and it's a 100% 'a-go'
I think you would get plenty of small donations from here. Great idea, and great to see someone giving something back.

As nice as it is to talk in these terms though, i feel we're derailing the thread.

I wondered if anyone has some TA insight into where we are now?

Most theories I've seen bandied around are predicting sideway trading. I myself was thinking along the lines of Rpietila's thoughts (that' why i liked this thread, his predictions were close to mine). But my faith in this has been shaken a little, as the market looks like it doesn't know what it wants, and also, i thought we'd be moving downwards a little quicker than this.
Also you've got low volume, yet we're not dropping, and seem to have support around 800-810 stamp.
To cloud the view even further, someone speculated that we could be in a 'ending diagonal' phase.

My own personal take on it all, is patience / wait and see. I think a lot of people are similar too. I'm waiting to see what effect China post Jan 31st will have.
My predictions might still come true after all, but maybe a lot slower than i thought. And with so much rumoured bullish news in the pipeline, we probably won't see the drop to ~$495 like i was initially expecting. So, between $500-600 (Stamp) is my buy-zone.
legendary

North Korea needs help.  Much of the world needs help.  As individuals we can only make small differences it seems.  I personally am in the process of planning for a trip to India this coming Fall.  I, along with a group of women, will be going and working with a Christian organization called Harvest India doing some humanitarian work (paying for water wells, feeding the hungry, spending time with the orphans, bringing funds for the continued help and rehabilitation of those sold into prostitution).  That said, any donations are welcome!  I am planning on selling some of my coins to pay my share but there is so much work to do there that I would love to have even more.  I was thinking it would be cool to pay for a water well (or two or three!) with Bitcointalk donations and then take pictures during the dedication ceremony and posting it on here.  They make a plaque that says who paid for it and I could put "Bitcoin Forum Community" or something like that.  Just thinking. 
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

a world where we can begin knowing we can depend on each other again, and not through coercive taxes
Activity: 294
Merit: 100

We need to get out of our growth paradigm, towards more sustainable consumption, more local production, more organic foods, more spirituality.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

Jump to: