Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 5. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 709
Merit: 503
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
Anyone can now ask me anything, simply for forking over ~0.1BTC.

EDIT: As an introductory offer for the first day only (or until I get one question that confirms to me the ease of the process), AMA for

$5
(~0.005BTC)

The platform says that unanswered questions are not billed. I do not yet know whether there is any quality control for the answers, or not, but for $5 I promise to give you an informed answer if the question is anything that I can help in (or discard it - for no charge - if not).

Try it out! Smiley

Seems you have spare time more now than you had during the spring 2013 when the price of your hour skyrocketted. If I am not mistaken, it started rising from 150 euros/hr to closer to 1000 euros/hr.... Am I right?
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
Anyone can now ask me anything, simply for forking over ~0.1BTC.

EDIT: As an introductory offer for the first day only (or until I get one question that confirms to me the ease of the process), AMA for

$5
(~0.005BTC)

The platform says that unanswered questions are not billed. I do not yet know whether there is any quality control for the answers, or not, but for $5 I promise to give you an informed answer if the question is anything that I can help in (or discard it - for no charge - if not).

Try it out! Smiley

What a use case!

Edit: I can't seem to fill my 21.co balance with BTC? Blasphemy!
Activity: 763
Merit: 534
To my knowledge, BitCrystals also does not have the 'greater than Life' philosophical aspect as part of its gaming.

If possible, today's valuation of CK is even more absurd(ly low) than what it was when I was presenting it to the cream of cryptoworld in the first Satoshi Roundtable in Punta Cana, Feb-2015. Even if in EUR terms it is about x10 now.

Yes, the 3 part post with the Voice was fascinating reading! The scene was set with destruction and sorrowfulness, punctuated by light humor (and puffs of COH), and ended with the mind agape and wide-eyed...

I pounded the table with XMR for 2+ years and then it scored big.

CK marketcap is about $800k now (it is hard to measure it exactly), by and large unchanged from March-2015 (it has fluctuated 0.3-1.9 M since then).

it is true that CK has somewhat of a steep learning curve but so did BTC, pre-Karpeles era. As CK is centralised, it is less likely you will be pilfered of your possessions compared to BTC/XMR.

Once CK is in a more "active" state and has an asset token that trades on the exchanges, I think CK can give BitCrystals (https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/bitcrystals/) a run for its money. $10M market cap for a "game" that has been done a thousand times before. Okay (though extremely generic) artwork decorating a boring trading card game smashed up with a nonsensical disc flicking arcade game. The markets alone in CK are more advanced than a lot of crypto exchange sites; that is a game unto itself Smiley
The call options concept is one of the most ignored aspects of cryptocurrencies. In BTC's case, I can't think of any other asset obtainable by the common person that can absorb a 5, 6, or even 7 figures investment and still perform x100 from here. Most of the time, such things are reserved for insiders in the form of pre-IPOs and the like.

Even in the short run, people are projecting a "crash" down to $500 in the event of no ETF issuance and a souring market sentiment, but $3k-$6k if an ETF is launched to successful demand. So max short-term paper loss of 50%, but mid-term potential of x3-x6 and then even more multiples long-term? Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if you look at sites beyond coinmarketcap that estimate at least $150B in public trading volume for the past 30 days. That can't all be fake Chinese activity Tongue

In regards to Kansanmarkka, I am happy to take the 100% loss on that if can lead to a Crypto Kingdom Renaissance. CK has the potential to strengthen XMR immensely, not just in terms of awareness, but transactional volume as well. This will aid in enhancing the anonymity set for RingCT. Think of an only slightly popular MMORPG, much less a game on the scale of World of Warcraft. 1k's of banal game transactions a day, going not to a centralized game server database, but to the world's most anonymous ledger, obfuscating analysis even further!

Unrestricted transnational currency is certainly an idea whose time has come. All we need is one nation-state to get in on the game (and who is to say that this hasn't happened already?), and the rest will fall into place. Cryptocurrency is "mutually assured destruction" for the information age, and it will be a far more peaceful world when governments compete to build ASIC farms rather than war and surveillance apparatuses. Game theory will take care of the rest Smiley
Personally, I very much enjoy reading your posts (both present and past) on this forum. I have gained a lot of wisdom from your work; not only from the monetary discussions, but the metaphysical and moral commentaries as well.

Several months ago I did a deep dive in all of your Crypto Kingdom archives. Even all the posts on the Martti blog! The game design thread in particular was fascinating, as I could see the pathway mapped out for one of the most complex economic games ever conceived. It is clear that your vast economic knowledge and experience molded many of the choices you made, and will make, regarding the gameworld.

That being said, the "money e-book" space is flooded, but the "money + worldbuilder" e-book area is wide open for pioneers! Crypto Kingdom can be like the world of OASIS from the book "Ready Player One." You could be the James Halliday of gaming, and we certainly need one!

There have been many gaming "free markets" that had so much hype and promise before ultimately failing, like the Diablo 3 auction house. Even games like Entropia, which routinely tops lists for "most expensive virtual game item sold" with its $635k Club Neverdie, are ultimately fixed markets pegged to fiat.

The issue with all economic game models up to this point is that they have been developed without a solid philosophical base. No game has been developed with the blessing of even a two-bit econometrician, much less a maestro of the markets such as yourself Smiley When I saw in the design thread about how Crypto Kingdom was initially focusing on a small group of players, but ones with high individual stakes, it became clear how this was the excellent foundation that everyone else has missed: they try to make games that ignore economic reality and lack the "build up" stage of any real economy.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1016
As longtimers in the thread well know, my wife has applied divorce and my life is in a phase of serious readjustment. Having a wife and 5 kids was one of only two "ancient and high-level dreams/manifestations" of my life, and now at 36, it is in jeopardy. To my great sorrow, it has not been possible even to see my children. I wish this would not happen to anyone.

But being pressured more than is comfortable, also yields results. I have been considering to write an e-book, and that would be about something that I know very well, even though don't care about it, yes you guessed right, MONEY.

I have spent 11 years of my professional life studying about it, handling it, making it, losing it, even creating it. In some lecture materials I had made in 2015 (Finnish only), I claimed 43% average annual gain from investments and business. That's not too bad - Mr. Buffett has been making 20% and is generally considered successful.

The book would integrate history of money, metaphysics of money, theory and practice of monetary systems, and wealth-management and business advice. Perhaps 100 pages. I already wrote a book in Finnish about money in 2009, but, unsurprisingly, my knowledge on the subject is much higher after 11 years of dedication than after 4 years.

I feel since I am pinned down with the practicalities of the divorce, which the other side is making difficult by not letting me to see my children, increasing my emotional load and feeling of unfairness (to the extent that I consider it blackmail, which I never in my life has agreed to before, and don't know if I have the neuroplasticity to agree to it in the future either, in short she is playing an extremely dangerous game with her financial future by ignoring my honest, lawful, natural and loving request to be present in my children's life, so that they could spend time with me in my home), there is no motivation for me to make any more money as there is no family to enjoy the fruits of my labors, nor to do much else really; also I am uninterested to social activities this very moment and probably a few months still, Ecclesiastes calls this state-of-mind "vanity of vanities", yet I am capable of writing a remotely intelligible sentence that is 7 lines long, and seemingly enjoy doing it while there is almost nothing else I can do besides writing, as all balls are still in the air - why would I not write a book? Thoughts?

Sorry to read all this Risto. Didn't realise you were having such a difficult time.

I hope the situation gets better soon. Using your children as emotional blackmail is very low indeed. I can only imagine.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
you seriously say that bitcoin is pushing people away from the network because they have to pay a couple cents to send a transaction?

No. As has been pointed out over and over (and over and over and over and...), the fact that Bitcoin accommodates only about 250,000 transactions per day means precisely that Bitcoin accommodates only about 250,000 transactions per day. Period. No matter the fee, no more than about 250,000 can be processed per day. All others are (manifestly obviously) being pushed away. 'We don't want your business' is a pretty strong message. Say it often and long enough, and people start to believe it. So they'll take their business elsewhere. Obviously.

it's impossible to scale onchain unless you want datacenters running nodes

Bald assertion unsupported by facts.

A network of 5000 nodes ran by random people on their basements is indeed way more secure than a network run by super computers on isolated bunkers.

Basement dwellers with their meager resources working 5.687/3 (maybe longer if the owners are not too stoned to shut down QT for some quality gaming) are more valuable to security than robust systems running 24/7? Get a grip!

As of the Bitcoin anonimity features, Mimblewimble, confidential transactions, schnorr sigs etc,

Again, Bitcoin has been unable to roll out a meager maxblocksize increase in four years. Mimblewimble? Maybe by the time the mining block reward expires. Maybe well before that - like 2047. Maybe.

lol you gotta laugh at these people who think having a 1/2 TB harddrive these days is expensive... they certainly weren't around in the 1980s when a nice workstation with what like 40 MB HDD and 1 MB or 2 MB RAM cost 10 grand, which is basically like shelling out 30k today.

so the solution is to gimp the blocksize so everyone can run a node on his phone, but it will cost the cost of the phone to send a transaction.  unfortunately satoshi sort of fucked up on this one and should have coded the limit to expire at some blocktime.  at this point it is one of those things that given the other dynamics probably cannot be changed very easily.

bitcoin then will become like digital gold, meaning it will be just as expensive to move...
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
you seriously say that bitcoin is pushing people away from the network because they have to pay a couple cents to send a transaction?

No. As has been pointed out over and over (and over and over and over and...), the fact that Bitcoin accommodates only about 250,000 transactions per day means precisely that Bitcoin accommodates only about 250,000 transactions per day. Period. No matter the fee, no more than about 250,000 can be processed per day. All others are (manifestly obviously) being pushed away. 'We don't want your business' is a pretty strong message. Say it often and long enough, and people start to believe it. So they'll take their business elsewhere. Obviously.

it's impossible to scale onchain unless you want datacenters running nodes

Bald assertion unsupported by facts.

A network of 5000 nodes ran by random people on their basements is indeed way more secure than a network run by super computers on isolated bunkers.

Basement dwellers with their meager resources working 5.687/3 (maybe longer if the owners are not too stoned to shut down QT for some quality gaming) are more valuable to security than robust systems running 24/7? Get a grip!

As of the Bitcoin anonimity features, Mimblewimble, confidential transactions, schnorr sigs etc,

Again, Bitcoin has been unable to roll out a meager maxblocksize increase in four years. Mimblewimble? Maybe by the time the mining block reward expires. Maybe well before that - like 2047. Maybe.
Activity: 807
Merit: 423
Where does the market stand right now in Wyckoff theory?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
Also are you really saying with a straight face that XMR (or any other coin) can take #1's BTC marketcap spot?

It admittedly seems a long shot today. However, if Bitcoin does not stop pushing usage away, where do you think people will go to make transactions?

How can XMR deliver in its duty to be a censorship resistant tool when the network is centralized in such a small amount of nodes and it will only get worse as the blocksize becomes humongous?

Decentralization is not measured in absolute number of nodes. It is measured in lack of barriers in becoming a first-class citizen of the network. And while you seem to be panicked over your 300 Baud modem and an old PC-xt class of processing, the more forward looking amongst us understand something about the march of technological progress.

[OK... there was sarcasm employed there. A little.]

Seems to me that BTC with the future anonymous feature additions will be safer.

OK, I'll bite... _what_ anonymous features? We've been working over four years on a simple maxblocksize increase.

You use some sarcasms using about 300 Baud modem and old PCs not being able to be nodes, but yet you seriously say that bitcoin is pushing people away from the network because they have to pay a couple cents to send a transaction? get real.

Monero has bigger problems to scale than bitcoin. Bitcoin has a solid roadmap, we'll eventually get LN, no need to rush, nobody is going to care about bitcoin in the grand scheme of things until years from now.

Monero will need a 2nd layer solution too if they want to scale anywhere notable, since it's impossible to scale onchain unless you want datacenters running nodes, which renders the anonimity features of the coin useless.

And yes, it's not only about amount of nodes, but how widespread they are. A network of 5000 nodes ran by random people on their basements is indeed way more secure than a network run by super computers on isolated bunkers.

As of the Bitcoin anonimity features, Mimblewimble, confidential transactions, schnorr sigs etc, will be more than enough if the network remains decentralized (a conservative blocksize is kept, it doesn't mean 1mb forever btw, but it means no delusional flexible blocksize attempts which are proven to not work)
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
Also are you really saying with a straight face that XMR (or any other coin) can take #1's BTC marketcap spot?

It admittedly seems a long shot today. However, if Bitcoin does not stop pushing usage away, where do you think people will go to make transactions?

How can XMR deliver in its duty to be a censorship resistant tool when the network is centralized in such a small amount of nodes and it will only get worse as the blocksize becomes humongous?

Decentralization is not measured in absolute number of nodes. It is measured in lack of barriers in becoming a first-class citizen of the network. And while you seem to be panicked over your 300 Baud modem and an old PC-xt class of processing, the more forward looking amongst us understand something about the march of technological progress.

[OK... there was sarcasm employed there. A little.]

Seems to me that BTC with the future anonymous feature additions will be safer.

OK, I'll bite... _what_ anonymous features? We've been working over four years on a simple maxblocksize increase.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
Ok that takes care of xbt.
For someone who hodls both xbt and xmr, what would you say is the proper proportion?

In fact, it makes sense to buy as much XMR as you can afford to, and ignore BTC altogether.

People who are more wise than me can explain why it makes more sense to have 50% XMR / 50% USD banknotes than for instance 90% BTC / 10% XMR.

For legacy reasons, few are in the position to make such a reallocation, and if tax etc is involved for past gains, it is probably not worth it.

Tax issues aside - I would argue that it makes sense to scale down BTC position incrementally while increasing XMR/Fiat over the next few years as we creep closer to the market epiphany that a public anonymous blockchain is (more) valuable. This also gives the opportunity to continually re-evaluate XMR as the most probable highest market cap crypto over the next decade. It's been working over the past few years.

Of course - if our hypothesis is correct today, net-net the end result is the same - just with less risk.

Why would you go to fiat if (as we know) fiats only keep inflating and its purchasing power keeps deprecating? Also we are obviously in a fiat debt bubble, so what's the deal here?

How can XMR deliver in its duty to be a censorship resistant tool when the network is centralized in such a small amount of nodes and it will only get worse as the blocksize becomes humongous? Seems to me that BTC with the future anonymous feature additions will be safer.
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
For someone who hodls both xbt and xmr, what would you say is the proper proportion?

In fact, it makes sense to buy as much XMR as you can afford to, and ignore BTC altogether.

People who are more wise than me can explain why it makes more sense to have 50% XMR / 50% USD banknotes than for instance 90% BTC / 10% XMR.

For legacy reasons, few are in the position to make such a reallocation, and if tax etc is involved for past gains, it is probably not worth it.

Tax issues aside - I would argue that it makes sense to scale down BTC position incrementally while increasing XMR/Fiat over the next few years as we creep closer to the market epiphany that a public anonymous blockchain is (more) valuable. This also gives the opportunity to continually re-evaluate XMR as the most probable highest market cap crypto over the next decade. It's been working over the past few years.

Of course - if our hypothesis is correct today, net-net the end result is the same - just with less risk.
Activity: 807
Merit: 423
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Best of luck with what you're trying to do. I wish you all the best. Advice from my perspective:

1. Don't share so much publicly. You are sharing your weaknesses publicly as well.
2. You're ideas are going down hill in my honest opinion. I never thought highly about Crytpo Kingdom (what's the purpose? to construct some fake parallel pyramid society in a game?) and recently Kansanmarkka is simply basic income. Basic income is one of the most stupid ideas in human history. Don't be naive like Karl Marx. I really feel like the events have taken a toll on you so would advice you to do nothing for a while and contemplate.

Best of luck!
Activity: 405
Merit: 250
Time alone is an opportunity to go within and learn who you are without judgment,  without public facades and masks we all use to protect ourselves. You might discover during this period of solitude that it's possible to have a bromance with yourself, seriously, you can become your own best friend. That's what monks have been doing in various traditions for thousands of years. If you can say 'I know myself, and I accept myself without judgement', then you really can be your own best friend, then you're never alone ever again. But to know yourself takes periods on your own, which can be a wonderful time. My father only ever lived on his own for a brief period between age 62 and 68, no parents and sibling, no wife and children, no adult children, no girlfriends - during that time he grew more than at any other time in his life. I wonder now what would have happened if he did it earlier.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Lance Bromance
Activity: 304
Merit: 380
another word for crush is "bromance" Wink
Pages:
Jump to: