Author

Topic: Scientific proof that God exists? - page 482. (Read 845477 times)

Activity: 231
Merit: 100
September 20, 2014, 12:30:23 AM
Aliens.... Exist... and a much better bet then if god Exists....

If God Exists.... why does he let the innocent suffer so much...

Example a young 3 year old child sick in hospitals all around the world...

and we are all made in the image of god.. no way if I was made in the image of god I would have his power... and then no children would be suffering..

The only thing god is... is a money maker for the church... and do not get me started on that one...

If you want to believe in something.. believe in KARMA and YOUR INNER FEELINGS.... and oh yer ALIENSSSSSSSSSS......

Well, there is the main question.  I often think that the problem many people have (including several in the scientific community) isn't so much about the question of if God exists, it is more about if He does exist, how could he allow such suffering?

I am sure you have heard the typical debates on this matter.  It becomes more a question about free-will vs. God's intervention.  

My thoughts on it are as follows:

God creates the world.  God creates man.  Give man (Adam and Eve) free will to choose.  Man chooses not to obey God (eating forbidden fruit) then man is given consequences for that choice.  Sin enters the world because of that choice.  With sin (and Satan's influence) comes death, sickness, suffering, hate, murder and all of the other painful things we deal with on a daily basis.  But God provides hope and way to be freed from this sinful world we are currently in.  He promises to send His son to pay the penalty for the choices we have made and offers us eternal life free from these things.  Basically we have a gift of our sentence being pardoned if we so choose to accept it.  This life is temporary.  Eternity is the main goal we should be focused on.

All that said, do I often wonder why God doesn't intervene more often?  Should he have a "smite button" that he presses anytime we, as humans, choose to do evil or make choices that go against Him?  If He did that, I would already be smitten.  Wink  Thankfully, He is patient and forgiving.  He can heal sickness and I have seen Him do so at times, but He is more concerned about our eternal well being than our present physical well being.  Why doesn't he heal all the time?  Do I understand God's ways?  Of course not.  I can't.  But I can understand that He loves me, loves you, loves the world so much that He gave His son as a ransom for our sins so we can have hope.  That is enough for me.  And if I had a sick child in the hospital I would still have hope.  I have suffered abuse but I know Jesus was there with me.  He understands our pain and suffering and we do not have to endure it alone.  This life is not all that there is.  To me, the thought that this evil and sinful world is all we have is the most depressing thought of all.  As a Christian, it is the closest to hell I will ever be and it keeps everything in perspective.  This is also why Christians can come across as so pushy and desperate at times to convince others to see things the way we do.  We know this could be the closest thing to hell we experience as humans and we hope and pray others will see this and understand this and humbly turn back to God instead of being angry with Him.  The flip side?  This is the closest thing to heaven people who do not accept Jesus will experience.  (For those that do not get a chance to accept Jesus because they have never heard, were born in the jungle, die as babies, etc.  I firmly believe that they will still be given that chance in Sheol, after death.  God is fair.  He puts fairness in our hearts.  However, the Bible is vague about what that looks like and it is not a commonly held belief.  I think the black and white, heaven and hell translations is a bit too simplistic but I digress here.)

As for the "image of God"  we have a mind, a physical body and a soul or "spirit."  I believe it is the eternal soul that differentiates us.  We also have the ability to see good and evil and understand these things.  That is what I think of when I think about being created in God's image.   Thankfully we were not created all-powerful.  I can only imagine what the world would be like then. Wink  It might make for an interesting sci-fi movie though.

And yes, there are sinful people in churches doing evil things in God's name.  They will be judged harshly, more harshly than anyone else I believe, for doing these things when the final day of judgement arrives.  

I understand and respect your Christian views.  With that, how do you explain the sometimes conflicting views of other religions?  Are the other 70% of the world’s population dammed to Hell because they don’t believe in your God? 
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
September 19, 2014, 02:06:20 PM

and we are all made in the image of god.. no way if I was made in the image of god I would have his power... and then no children would be suffering..

The only thing god is... is a money maker for the church... and do not get me started on that one...

If you want to believe in something.. believe in KARMA and YOUR INNER FEELINGS.... and oh yer ALIENSSSSSSSSSS......

Well, there is the main question.  I often think that the problem many people have (including several in the scientific community) isn't so much about the question of if God exists, it is more about if He does exist, how could he allow such suffering?

I am sure you have heard the typical debates on this matter.  It becomes more a question about free-will vs. God's intervention.  

My thoughts on it are as follows:

God creates the world.  God creates man.  Give man (Adam and Eve) free will to choose.  Man chooses not to obey God (eating forbidden fruit) then man is given consequences for that choice.  Sin enters the world because of that choice.  With sin (and Satan's influence) comes death, sickness, suffering, hate, murder and all of the other painful things we deal with on a daily basis.  But God provides hope and way to be freed from this sinful world we are currently in.  He promises to send His son to pay the penalty for the choices we have made and offers us eternal life free from these things.  Basically we have a gift of our sentence being pardoned if we so choose to accept it.  This life is temporary.  Eternity is the main goal we should be focused on.

All that said, do I often wonder why God doesn't intervene more often?  Should he have a "smite button" that he presses anytime we, as humans, choose to do evil or make choices that go against Him?  If He did that, I would already be smitten.  Wink  Thankfully, He is patient and forgiving.  He can heal sickness and I have seen Him do so at times, but He is more concerned about our eternal well being than our present physical well being.  Why doesn't he heal all the time?  Do I understand God's ways?  Of course not.  I can't.  But I can understand that He loves me, loves you, loves the world so much that He gave His son as a ransom for our sins so we can have hope.  That is enough for me.  And if I had a sick child in the hospital I would still have hope.  I have suffered abuse but I know Jesus was there with me.  He understands our pain and suffering and we do not have to endure it alone.  This life is not all that there is.  To me, the thought that this evil and sinful world is all we have is the most depressing thought of all.  As a Christian, it is the closest to hell I will ever be and it keeps everything in perspective.  This is also why Christians can come across as so pushy and desperate at times to convince others to see things the way we do.  We know this could be the closest thing to hell we experience as humans and we hope and pray others will see this and understand this and humbly turn back to God instead of being angry with Him.  The flip side?  This is the closest thing to heaven people who do not accept Jesus will experience.  (For those that do not get a chance to accept Jesus because they have never heard, were born in the jungle, die as babies, etc.  I firmly believe that they will still be given that chance in Sheol, after death.  God is fair.  He puts fairness in our hearts.  However, the Bible is vague about what that looks like and it is not a commonly held belief.  I think the black and white, heaven and hell translations is a bit too simplistic but I digress here.)

As for the "image of God"  we have a mind, a physical body and a soul or "spirit."  I believe it is the eternal soul that differentiates us.  We also have the ability to see good and evil and understand these things.  That is what I think of when I think about being created in God's image.   Thankfully we were not created all-powerful.  I can only imagine what the world would be like then. Wink  It might make for an interesting sci-fi movie though.

And yes, there are sinful people in churches doing evil things in God's name.  They will be judged harshly, more harshly than anyone else I believe, for doing these things when the final day of judgement arrives.  
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
September 19, 2014, 01:10:12 PM

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
September 19, 2014, 12:38:07 PM

... That's why scientists don't need to prove evolution. The evidence they collect just keeps pointing to it already.

As scientists are able to collect more and different kinds of evidence, much of the other evidence points away from evolution. Then there are those scientists who interpret the evidence in a non-evolution direction.

Smiley
I'm not sure what you mean? There has never been a single finding that is inconsistent with evolutionary theory. It would only take one finding to destroy a theory. That is why in science a theory is a powerful idea.

The ONLY reason that there has never been a finding that is inconsistent with evolutionary theory, is that evolutionary theory essentially (if not straight forwardly) says that every finding is consistent with evolutionary theory. The question is, how do we make multitudes of findings that don't seem to fit with each other in evolutionary theory, or each other in any kind of theory, so that they fit? And how do we do it in the light of many (most?) of those findings fitting creationism and who knows what other theories, as well? The point is, in this exact way, evolutionary theory has virtually proven that it is not worthy of even being called theory, to say nothing about having any kind of chance whatsoever of becoming law. Of course, there are going to be all kinds of scientists that think or say it is law. And there are all kinds of political scientists who say it is law no matter what they think, for other purposes.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
September 19, 2014, 11:28:19 AM

... That's why scientists don't need to prove evolution. The evidence they collect just keeps pointing to it already.

As scientists are able to collect more and different kinds of evidence, much of the other evidence points away from evolution. Then there are those scientists who interpret the evidence in a non-evolution direction.

Smiley
I'm not sure what you mean? There has never been a single finding that is inconsistent with evolutionary theory. It would only take one finding to destroy a theory. That is why in science a theory is a powerful idea.
legendary
September 19, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
The evidence for God is great. The fact that most of people in the world believe in God or a god, is in itself great evidence. The machine quality of the universe suggests a Maker.

Most people in the world believed the world was flat. That didn't turn out to be great evidence.

That was 500 years ago. Five hundred years from now scientists will be amazed at the silly things scientists of the 21st century believed.

Smiley

But pretty sure they won't be thinking 2,000 year old beliefs are LESS silly  Wink

Kinda pointless, cant prove such a thing scientifically.

Yes, but some people are going to keep on trying, just like some scientists keep on trying to prove something as silly as evolution.

Smiley

Scientists aren't trying to prove evolution. First, they don't have to, and second, that's not how science works. Christian "science" gets an idea or an assumption and tries to prove or disprove it. Real actual science doesn't start with ideas or assumptions. It tests and collects data, and makes conclusions based on that data, whatever those conclusions may be. So, for example, christian "science" will start with the assumption that the earth is 6,000 years old, and will look specifically for evidence to support it. Actual science will make no assumptions about the age of the planet, and will take all evidence into consideration, regardless of what it says about the earth's age. That's why scientists don't need to prove evolution. The evidence they collect just keeps pointing to it already.

I disagree that there are scientists that aren't trying to prove their own beliefs.  Many (not all of course) do throw out evidence that points towards intelligent design, for example.  They filter everything from that lens and are often close minded to anything that points towards that.  Also, they come up with their own theories, not based on an observable evidence, for evolution but this is based on "faith" too.  They have not observed the big bang have they?  But they believe it as fact, when indeed it isn't a proven fact.  It is even taught as a fact to students today in many schools and that, to me, is a travesty.  It needs to be taught as it really is, a theory!  The act of even questioning the big bang causes these scientist to look down with their noses high in the air like whoever would dare question that is an idiot.

legendary
September 19, 2014, 02:04:58 AM

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 19, 2014, 01:39:39 AM
The evidence for God is great. The fact that most of people in the world believe in God or a god, is in itself great evidence. The machine quality of the universe suggests a Maker.

Most people in the world believed the world was flat. That didn't turn out to be great evidence.

That was 500 years ago. Five hundred years from now scientists will be amazed at the silly things scientists of the 21st century believed.

Smiley

But pretty sure they won't be thinking 2,000 year old beliefs are LESS silly  Wink

Yes, but some people are going to keep on trying, just like some scientists keep on trying to prove something as silly as evolution.

Smiley

Scientists aren't trying to prove evolution. First, they don't have to, and second, that's not how science works. Christian "science" gets an idea or an assumption and tries to prove or disprove it. Real actual science doesn't start with ideas or assumptions. It tests and collects data, and makes conclusions based on that data, whatever those conclusions may be. So, for example, christian "science" will start with the assumption that the earth is 6,000 years old, and will look specifically for evidence to support it. Actual science will make no assumptions about the age of the planet, and will take all evidence into consideration, regardless of what it says about the earth's age. That's why scientists don't need to prove evolution. The evidence they collect just keeps pointing to it already.
legendary
September 19, 2014, 01:26:56 AM

Smiley
legendary
September 19, 2014, 01:24:52 AM

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 19, 2014, 12:59:51 AM
Rassah!  Long time no see!  You don't seem to hang out on Adam's thread do you?  That is the hangout for many of us as of late.

I miss our philosophical discussions though.  I saw the title of this thread and it appears that I have missed out on hours of fun debates. Wink

I figured anything I said might be said in vain though.  Undecided 

Was that supposed to be a joke about "reposting lies and going to hell?" 

If there is no God there is no heaven or hell so how could anyone go to hell by reposting anything if there is no such a place? 

Hi! Yeah, definitely!

Adam's thread?

Not really a joke. If they are christian and believe in hell, then that claim will have meaning to them, even if it doesn't to me.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Knowledge could but approximate existence.
September 19, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
if a god exist do you guys believe he will punish a suicide?

Are you really seriously thinking about suicide?  I saw your post in Adam's thread.   Bitcoin is so not worth it Kenji!  And if you are feeling overwhelmed and depressed about the current price just have a little patience.  It will rebound.  I have alot of money tied up in BTC too and these dips are very painful but I have seen how fast the price can rise and realize that it is a game of patience really.  When it does rise again,  make sure to cash some out so that you can handle the next drop, that will most likely happen.   It is a very volatile investment and can certainly lead to some depressing and on the other side euphoric episodes.  Not being over invested helps to ease the pain a bit.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Within entropism (Limakasidian tradition), it is oft recommended that one submit themselves to that being exemplified by black hole. In easing this procession, it is recommended one first submit to that being of stone.
legendary
September 18, 2014, 11:59:14 PM

Are you really seriously thinking about suicide?  I saw your post in Adam's thread.   Bitcoin is so not worth it Kenji!  And if you are feeling overwhelmed and depressed about the current price just have a little patience.  It will rebound.  I have alot of money tied up in BTC too and these dips are very painful but I have seen how fast the price can rise and realize that it is a game of patience really.  When it does rise again,  make sure to cash some out so that you can handle the next drop, that will most likely happen.   It is a very volatile investment and can certainly lead to some depressing and on the other side euphoric episodes.  Not being over invested helps to ease the pain a bit.

legendary
September 18, 2014, 11:53:19 PM
10 Scientists Who Claim to Have Proof about the Existence of God

The Scientist Who Dug into Hell in Siberia and Recorded the Cries of Damned Souls (1989)

The Neuroscientist Who Claimed that Heaven Exists After Being in a Week-Long Coma (2008)

The Chemistry Student Who Demostrated that Heaven and Hell Exist

The Professor of Medicine Who Claimed to Have Found Sculptures Made by God Himself (1725)

Pascal's Wager: God Is, or He Is Not. You Must Wager (17th century)

Euler's Formula to Explain God's Existence (18th century)

The Mathematician Who Developed the Theorem of God (1931)

The Scientist Who Finds No Conflict Between Science and Religious Faith (2007)

The Computer Scientists Who Allegedly Proved God Exists (2013)

The Neurologist Who Claimed that Near-Death Experiences Actually Can Happen (2013)

Here's an explanation for all of these:

http://www.oddee.com/item_98822.aspx

All of these were lies and hoaxes! And if there is a god, whoever keeps reposting these lies is going to hell.

Rassah!  Long time no see!  You don't seem to hang out on Adam's thread do you?  That is the hangout for many of us as of late.

I miss our philosophical discussions though.  I saw the title of this thread and it appears that I have missed out on hours of fun debates. Wink

I figured anything I said might be said in vain though.  Undecided 

Was that supposed to be a joke about "reposting lies and going to hell?" 

If there is no God there is no heaven or hell so how could anyone go to hell by reposting anything if there is no such a place? 
legendary
September 18, 2014, 06:59:23 PM

Suicide is murder. However, Suicide can be laying down your life for your friends, like dying to protect your buddies in war.

It depends on if the person has faith in the forgiveness that God provides through Jesus, or not. Not an easy way to answer this.

Smiley
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
September 18, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
God dont punish suicide, it is their negative thoughts that provoking them. 
Activity: 448
Merit: 251
September 18, 2014, 06:49:36 PM
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
September 18, 2014, 04:41:09 PM
No gods, no masters!

No masters.
Except the taxman, right?
 Roll Eyes

Taxes are irrelevant now we have Bitcoin Wink
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
September 18, 2014, 04:24:50 PM
Don't give up on God. Why not?
Because of the evidence.

Mainstream scientific consensus is not powerful enough to explain the evidence for survival:

Here is one example of high-quality evidence of the survival of the personality:

Dr. James Hyslop, professor of Logic and Ethics at Columbia University, and one of the most distinguished American psychical researchers, reported the following incident.

[...]

As Sir Wiliam Barrett concluded in his review of the case: "The simplest and most reasonable solution is that the information was derived from the mind of the deceased person."

2 page PDF:
http://www.aeces.info/Top40/Cases_51-75/case56_soule-soul.pdf

Is mainstream science going to give us any information at all on this subject? I challenge anyone to explain this evidence using consensus theories.

Reincarnation is a core teaching of many spiritual paths and it has evidence to support it. This may be related to theism in some indirect fashion.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 18, 2014, 04:03:55 PM
Jump to: