Pages:
Author

Topic: Seasteading - page 9. (Read 26872 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
January 20, 2019, 09:32:45 PM

There are already boating communities.

At 12nm out you have no laws other than things like resource laws (no drilling for oil, etc.) and no interfering with customs. The law of the sea which prevents "egregious acts" such as murder, slave trade, etc.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 20, 2019, 09:29:34 PM
There's the barebones minimum vs fully macked out version.

I figure there will be add ons like A/C, more solar, dynamic positioning system, teak floors, upgraded kitchen, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
January 20, 2019, 12:29:32 PM
My own plan, which is a slight deviation from their plan, is to start small and modularly (not likely a real word). I would also like to start in a protected waterway initially. But I recognize that most people cannot afford such a high price, and their system does not leave much room for picking up your home and floating to a new seastead if you want to. My goal is to follow the tiny house trend initially and build a small modular floating structure that I can keep under $20k for the base price (plus cost of solar panels, water maker, composting toilet, etc.). Basically enough living space as a small boat, but unlike a boat you can attach these units together for more and more living space as can be afforded.

Ocean Builders seasteads are built on top of a spar which allows you to live above the waves.

As for price...we are targeting $150-$200k. First 20 will get the seastead at cost, and help to decide the way forward for future seasteading.

What the inflation did in less then 2 years Tongue

Joke aside, why are this 2 prices so different? Because you miscalculated back then since you did not understand all the problems or because back then house and everything was planed to be smaller or something like that?
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 20, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
^^^ Whatever you want to pay for it. "Seasteading" is simply a word that holds a deeper meaning for some. Move onto a houseboat, and you just might have seasteading.

How much? Whatever you can or want to spend. Lots of people have taken a nap in a canoe. Move into the canoe out on the ocean, and you just might be seasteading.

Cool

Seasteading is not just living on a houseboat. It involves living at least 12 nautical miles outside of a nation's territorial waters.

A house boat cannot just sit in such waters due to the waves.

Ocean Builders seasteads are built on top of a spar which allows you to live above the waves.

As for price...we are targeting $150-$200k. First 20 will get the seastead at cost, and help to decide the way forward for future seasteading.

I agree with the idea of calculating the methods, and implementing something that is practical. I don't necessarily agree with the sovereign part.

Many nations have a 200 mile territorial waters distance.

A collection of houseboats somewhat rigidly attached can take the waves just like a seastead. But what about making them submersible for short periods?

I don't understand the spar. Is it attached to the bottom? Does it float with the bottom merely a flotation device underwater? How is it any different than things that have been attempted or done in the past? What's that famous ocean derrick kingdom called again?

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 20, 2019, 05:01:14 AM
^^^ Whatever you want to pay for it. "Seasteading" is simply a word that holds a deeper meaning for some. Move onto a houseboat, and you just might have seasteading.

How much? Whatever you can or want to spend. Lots of people have taken a nap in a canoe. Move into the canoe out on the ocean, and you just might be seasteading.

Cool

Seasteading is not just living on a houseboat. It involves living at least 12 nautical miles outside of a nation's territorial waters.

A house boat cannot just sit in such waters due to the waves.

legendary
January 18, 2019, 05:56:21 PM
Looks like Seasteading has more work to do. But, this could be a blessing in disguise. A group of Seasteaders just might be able to disable and capture one of these, and decompile them... if they aren't booby trapped.

Navy Ready To Unleash Killer Robot Ships On World’s Oceans

War-minded Technocrats within DARPA have one answer for wiping out the enemy: autonomous machines. When DARPA first released Sea-Hunter, there were pledges that it was only for surveillance and not killing. The flip-flop was anticipated. ⁃ TN Editor

The world’s largest navy has spent the last few years feeling like it was being put in check.

China and Russia have heavily invested in anti-access technologies aimed at holding its main force-projection assets — aircraft carriers — at risk. Now the U.S. Navy and the upper ranks of the military are preparing to take back control of the game board, and it’slooking to unmanned technologies to help.

The U.S. surface fleet has for the past few years sought to flip the script on actors such as China. The fleet aimed to move from a role of simply defending the carrier to going on the offensive.

The goal was to spread out over a wide area to strain Chinese intelligence and reconnaissance assets and thereby exercise a degree of sea control in places such as the South and East China seas that China seeks to deny with long-range, anti-ship missiles and an ever-growing fleet.

Initially, the push was to add big surface combatants to hold down the Navy’s hefty commitments for peacetime presence while maintaining enough firepower to both defend themselves and project power in an anti-access environment.

But that’s changing...

She's a beauty in that picture, though, isn't she?

Cool
legendary
January 15, 2019, 09:23:10 AM

Cool
Activity: 686
Merit: 270
FREEDOM RESERVE
January 14, 2019, 10:36:22 PM
How much is one of these seasteads in Thailand?
legendary
January 11, 2019, 06:11:00 AM
^^^ This is a good thing... if it can be sustained and grow. Ocean-going boats that people live on have been around for a long time.

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 10, 2019, 05:41:45 AM
legendary
January 09, 2019, 03:40:01 PM
Genesis spar in the water January 3, 2019.

Hate to say it, but it looks like a boat trailer that got unhitched.

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 06, 2019, 09:31:25 PM
Genesis spar in the water January 3, 2019.

Activity: 1197
Merit: 482
December 14, 2018, 12:33:15 PM
It would be interesting to see seasteading and aquaculture concepts together in real life. Dolphins the new sheep dogs and tuna the new sheep maybe.
Activity: 70
Merit: 12
December 14, 2018, 08:05:41 AM
legendary
December 14, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
Once we learn how to extract oxygen from the water easily, it will be Seabedding. After that, we will have Sea Wars... Seasteaders fighting Seabedders. The Seasteaders drop the bombs (depth charges). The Seabedders shoot the missiles (torpedoes).

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
December 14, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
Yet, in the Seasteading that exists right now, there is a contract with the French Polynesian Government. Once there are, say, a hundred private structures built, there might be a hundred private contracts for visitors to each private structure. But they all fall under the French Polynesian Government contract.

This underlying Contract might allow anybody to take his chunk of island, and depart, no questions asked, any time he wants. And if it does, great! But if it doesn't, or if there are other rules, are they good rules, and how far into the future are they binding, and any number of other questions.

Cool

Ahh, I see. Yes, the French Polynesia thing will have legal contracts and restrictions as agreed upon between Blue Frontiers and the French Polynesian government. But that one is far from happening. Still waiting on the government to get its act together which could be a few years.

The private seasteads (in a different location) will happen sooner than that.
legendary
December 13, 2018, 04:27:40 PM

A single company creating a single seastead is working on an agreement with French Polynesia.

Imagine the first person to come up with the concept of a "house". They go to the chief of the little village and negotiate a location for their new technology of 4 walls and a roof. There is an official agreement in that village for a house that is to be built. It will be amazing. All of your dreams will come true.

And then there's another guy thousands of miles away with the same idea. He doesn't even discuss it with his village chief, he just goes into the woods and builds a small house. Or even...has his friends build him a house. In exchange they get some coconuts or some meat from his last catch.

Then his friends decide to build houses near his house.

No government is needed just because a house is built. Same for seasteading. Just build it and live in it. If you want to interact with your neighbors, interact. If you don't like how your neighbor interacts with you...move your house.

It's really that simple.

Seasteading creates these images of fantasy land where all of your dreams come true. That's why I won't be talking about the project I'm working on because unless someone sees it in action the concept of seasteading comes with all sorts of baggage. People either believe it solves all problems or creates all problems. They already have an image in their head of what seasteading is. And all of those ideas are different from everyone else's ideas. But their idea is the best...because reasons.

That's almost the thing that I have been saying. But consider:

Over the years, all those people who wanted to live free on the waters have done it. A few of them have done it jointly under one kind of agreement or another. Some may even have advertised for people to join them, like Seasteading does.

Seasteading is under contract. The contract is governing law. If people join, because it looks like Seasteading has strength, there should really be strength in the contract... strength for freedom. After all, Seasteading "leaders" don't want to hurt people, do they?

How big was the USA government when the Constitution and the Amendments were ratified? Most of the people agreed with the new USA grudgingly, because it was the lesser of two evils, King George being the greater. Seasteading people aren't agreeing grudgingly. They are jumping right in. Are they doing so without understanding the basics of the contract?

The new USA government happened to be a good freedom form. Is the Seasteading contract?

Cool

Every year there is an event called ephemerisle. A bunch of people in a California bay get together and build floating structures and have a week long party.

Some structures form islands and some require that you sign a contract before you can come aboard. The contracts are usually something like "I promise not to hurt anyone, litter, steal, etc.".

Each one has a different contract.

"Seasteading" is not one thing that will be governed by one thing. You might come to my house and I have one set of rules and go to someone else's house and they have other rules. Some people may combine their houses and have an agreed upon set of rules.

I fully expect that if seasteading reaches the point where they are trying to form nations, they will have more nations than currently exist. Think alt coins but in the physical space. There may be some main ones but it will continuously be splitting off into other forms.

Yet, in the Seasteading that exists right now, there is a contract with the French Polynesian Government. Once there are, say, a hundred private structures built, there might be a hundred private contracts for visitors to each private structure. But they all fall under the French Polynesian Government contract.

This underlying Contract might allow anybody to take his chunk of island, and depart, no questions asked, any time he wants. And if it does, great! But if it doesn't, or if there are other rules, are they good rules, and how far into the future are they binding, and any number of other questions.

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
December 12, 2018, 11:11:16 AM
I think the main benefit would be that you would be able to structure your society differently.  For example, you could establish scientific hubs that would not be regulated and can speed up technological progress.  Genetic, stem research, human cloning, nanotechnology, AI etc. come to mind. 

The issue I see is, how do you get funding to get this off the ground.  I guess if you can convince enough smart and rich people to join, it might work.

Then again, when your 'country' becomes successful and develops something worth fighting for, I am sure the US will find a reason to invade you, if not, Russia will find a reason to 'protect' Russian citizens in your enclave to invade your country and run a 'referendum' to join Russia.

Interesting idea, but you have a lot of competition with trillion dollar armies.

Meh...I lived in the US long enough to not care anymore about their armies. Nothing but fear in that country.

By the time any seastead is big enough to become a country they will have a powerful military force akin to Singapore.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
December 13, 2018, 03:25:22 AM

A single company creating a single seastead is working on an agreement with French Polynesia.

Imagine the first person to come up with the concept of a "house". They go to the chief of the little village and negotiate a location for their new technology of 4 walls and a roof. There is an official agreement in that village for a house that is to be built. It will be amazing. All of your dreams will come true.

And then there's another guy thousands of miles away with the same idea. He doesn't even discuss it with his village chief, he just goes into the woods and builds a small house. Or even...has his friends build him a house. In exchange they get some coconuts or some meat from his last catch.

No government is needed just because a house is built. Same for seasteading. Just build it and live in it. If you want to interact with your neighbors, interact. If you don't like how your neighbor interacts with you...move your house.

It's really that simple.

Seasteading creates these images of fantasy land where all of your dreams come true. That's why I won't be talking about the project I'm working on because unless someone sees it in action the concept of seasteading comes with all sorts of baggage. People either believe it solves all problems or creates all problems. They already have an image in their head of what seasteading is. And all of those ideas are different from everyone else's ideas. But their idea is the best...because reasons.

Over the years, all those people who wanted to live free on the waters have done it. A few of them have done it jointly under one kind of agreement or another. Some may even have advertised for people to join them, like Seasteading does.

Seasteading is under contract. The contract is governing law. If people join, because it looks like Seasteading has strength, there should really be strength in the contract... strength for freedom. After all, Seasteading "leaders" don't want to hurt people, do they?

How big was the USA government when the Constitution and the Amendments were ratified? Most of the people agreed with the new USA grudgingly, because it was the lesser of two evils, King George being the greater. Seasteading people aren't agreeing grudgingly. They are jumping right in. Are they doing so without understanding the basics of the contract?

The new USA government happened to be a good freedom form. Is the Seasteading contract?

Cool

Every year there is an event called ephemerisle. A bunch of people in a California bay get together and build floating structures and have a week long party.

Some structures form islands and some require that you sign a contract before you can come aboard. The contracts are usually something like "I promise not to hurt anyone, litter, steal, etc.".

Each one has a different contract.

"Seasteading" is not one thing that will be governed by one thing. You might come to my house and I have one set of rules and go to someone else's house and they have other rules. Some people may combine their houses and have an agreed upon set of rules.

I fully expect that if seasteading reaches the point where they are trying to form nations, they will have more nations than currently exist. Think alt coins but in the physical space. There may be some main ones but it will continuously be splitting off into other forms.
legendary
December 12, 2018, 12:07:10 PM

It's really that simple.

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: