Pages:
Author

Topic: Self-moderated topics - nice feature or should it get banned? - page 4. (Read 912 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 6769
Currently not much available - see my websitelink
For me the most important poin of self moderation threads, its to avoid spam from newbies or accounts that doesnt understant the disscussion or they want to confuse.
Exactly that. It's quite spammy in the Gambling section, where many topics are flooded with dozens of low-quality spam daily. Even in 50 comments, very little information is contained.
These posts are only made due to paid signature campaigns and that's really a problem.

Luckily, some members dedicated to our Gambling board have launched new, self-moderated topics, where spam posts are getting removed, for example:

Spam topic: Premier League Prediction Thread 2023/2024 (4000 pages of replies)
Self-moderated topic: ⚽ English Premier League Season: 2021/2022 (200 pages of replies)

Hopefully, such incentives will decrease spam in that section even more as some topics are almost impossible to follow, when there are 50+ new replies every day.
Activity: 462
Merit: 263
CONTEST ORGANIZER
I think the only one who can oposse to the self moderate topics can be the "freedoms fighters" who doesnt understand some basic and logic rules of the world.

Im not gonna talk this case itself, because i dont know him and also its not the main topic of the thread.

For me the most important poin of self moderation threads, its to avoid spam from newbies or accounts that doesnt understant the disscussion or they want to confuse.

Obviusly this can be used to not good goals, or for other pourpose, but that pass with everything in life, like nuclear energy, you can make energy or a bomb.

And this feature its very important in some games and rounds and other topics when somebody cant participate.

Also its a good tool to dont make the mdoerators work so hard, because you are making some of the work. Can you imagine the ammount of posts/reports they have to see if self mdoeration doesnt exist?.
legendary
In my opinion, self-moderated topics are a great feature of Bitcointalk for many reasons, for example:
- managing a Service and preventing trolls from flooding it
- great for the Gambling section, where so much spam can be prevented if OP is knowledgeable in the sport and can delete spam from Gambling spammers who have no clue about the sport
- preventing extra work for moderators, removing spam quickly
- setting up unique self-moderated rules to improve posting quality for example as long as these self-moderated rules do not violate the official rules and are resonable

With the above points that you have given, it's definitely worth it. But when it comes to scammers using the forum, the reverse is also the case; they create self-moderated topics where the only comments they allow to stay are anything dropped by them, that of their alt accounts, or anything that just has to be positive based on their discussion.
If a scammer is abusing self-moderation, we'll have the option of providing and compiling evidence and we can make a scam accusation if OP is using self-moderation to scam people.
Remember, all posts of Bitcointalk are archived by LoyceV here: LoyceV's Topic Details: highlight deleted and edited posts (forum wide)
Finally, such an abuse would be very simple to prove and in case self-moderation is abused to scam anyone, we will be able to give out a negative trust for anyone trying a scam.

Another thing about self-moderated topics is that, since it helps filter scammers, to some point it also prevents the freedom of expression kind of thing here in the forum, where all of us are entitled to our own opinion.
That's not true at all as long as such self-moderated rules are reasonable and not affecting a particular opinion. Most often, self-moderation is against trolling and lies, which is not an opinion because such behaviour is just meant to derail a discussion, therefore removing such posts is not "preventing the freedom of expression". Sometimes, trolls are deliberately targeting topics to derail them.
And if someone doesn't like these self-moderated rules, he should not reply there. It's as easy as it gets.
If he's just here to troll, removing these posts is totally deserved.
Forum rules are also not "preventing the freedom of expression" as well.

If I'm the creator of a self-moderated thread and it happens to be that the majority of the people commenting under it are against my opinion, I might likely wipe all those comments and leave only those that I see as being in my favor.
Then, you haven't applied the self-moderation feature properly because if these are legitimate opinions, deleting them is not ideal. Deleting is only advised if it's a troll post.  Roll Eyes

Of course, his character can be understood better also by looking at his Trust feedback page:
Yes, he and his friends are so braindead, it's quite a clown show.

And honestly, demanding to ban the opportunity to create self-moderated topics is so shortsighted, that it's already stupid.
The forum is very big and there are so many cases where creating a self-moderated topic makes sense to remove spam effectively.
Some sections might be less spammy but we all know how spam is a big issue in many forum sections. Obviously, Unknown01 doesn’t know this or it's feeling normal for him, because he's a shitposter.

Let's take the Gambling section as an example: there are topics where dozens of replies are made every single day. These spam megathreads have grown to over 1000 (!) pages or 50k replies.
For example, this one about Bundesliga discussion: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/germany-league-bundesliga-prediction-thread-1159912
Bundesliga season is over now but still every day our shitposters are making tons of replies. Even yesterday, 25 replies have been left. Nobody is reading these shitposts, maybe a bunch of shitposters searching for crumbs to reply to.

Igebotz made a good job pointing out, how self-moderation can help to prevent shitposters flooding new Gambling topics: Gambling Board Spammers; Concerns, Solutions & Suggestions

The solution is very simple: shitposters will get their replies deleted due to self-moderation, these shitposters will get a PM and realize quickly that it's wasted time to post relies in such topics.
These shitposters will stop to shitpost in such topics and that will result in a cleaner thread.
It's simple and it's working. Great outcome from self-moderation.
But as a shitposter, these self-moderated topics are a big nuisance and it's leading to their shitposts getting deleted.  Tongue

Funnily, 2 of the biggest German shitposters (MinoRaiola and bct_ail) are part of that spammers list. And funny as well, that bct_ail is one of the shitposters shitting a reply on page 1777 on that spam megathread.
I hope that Signature campaign managers will consider the list from Igebotz and kick these shitposters out of their campaigns due to massive shitposting.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6524
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
Considering the record of Unknown01 as a proven shitposter and his inability (or rather unwillingness to improve (what's a big, big shame because everyone can try at least but he refuses to do so)), it's no surprise to me that Unknown01 wants to ban all self-moderated topics because if these would get banned, he'd be able to spam his low-quality content with massively decreasing the chance of getting it deleted. Shitposters and lying trolls like Unknown01 are very fearful towards self-moderated topics because self-moderated topics will make it more likely to get low-quality spam and trolling removed.

Unknown01 has declared his willing to ban self-moderated topic here. This is the most lame way of fighting for not having your posts deleted. Of course, I am more than certain that theymos would never do such change to the forum, so this post is not an expression of me being worried for such a change. The post is aimed to show Unknown01's character and his ridiculous ideas for keeping his zero-value posts not deleted.

Of course, his character can be understood better also by looking at his Trust feedback page:

- [...] Unknown01 is a "casual but ardent shitposter". Unknown01 is not admitting his mistakes and keeps pushing his nonsense shitposting like pyramid-quoting etc.
Additionally he's misusing the trust-system by giving MinoRaiola positive trust without any involved trade [...] -- Nestade, 28.06.2022
- Spreading his insane lies about several established accounts from the German section because he's butthurt that we called out his positive trust abuse, his troll- and shitposting and his disgusting behaviour. Unknown01 is contributing nothing to the forum and recently, he has started to threaten and attack Newbies. -- 1miau, 28.06.2022

He's involved in much more abuse:

- Attacking our campaign to improve posting quality in the German section repeatedly, where we advocated to improve our liguistic writing quality (proper translations, tips to avoid unnecessary Denglish, improving spelling, punctuation etc.) and Unknown01 trashed our campaign.
- Threatening Newbies with a forum ban
- Dangerous and inappropriate use of Trust: giving positive Trust for Shitposters

We have a saying in Romania and it just crossed my mind: tell me who your friends are, to know who you are -- meaning that you can also understand how someone really is by taking a look at the ones he associates with.

Let's take a look at Unknown01's "friends":

- MinoRaiola -- cheating on a contest organized by himself and caught with triple plagiarism. All he says to plagiarism accuses is that he plagiarized the content 2 years ago and he does not remember it, since he does not even remember what he did in the previous day -- makes sense, right?

- s0nix -- supporter of the war, against Ukraine, where also our dear icopress is affected by Putler's disgusting invasion against Ukraine, so it's no surprise, that s0nix is a troll and shitposter + also friend to Koal-84. Should we also talk about Koal-84? Lol.

I believe that, expecting Unknown01's personal actions, his association to such shitty users also says a lot about his character and mindset.
Activity: 602
Merit: 638
In my opinion, self-moderated topics are a great feature of Bitcointalk for many reasons, for example:
- great for the Gambling section, where so much spam can be prevented if OP is knowledgeable in the sport and can delete spam from Gambling spammers who have no clue about the sport
- setting up unique self-moderated rules to improve posting quality for example as long as these self-moderated rules do not violate the official rules and are resonable

With the above points that you have given, it's definitely worth it. But when it comes to scammers using the forum, the reverse is also the case; they create self-moderated topics where the only comments they allow to stay are anything dropped by them, that of their alt accounts, or anything that just has to be positive based on their discussion.

Another thing about self-moderated topics is that, since it helps filter scammers, to some point it also prevents the freedom of expression kind of thing here in the forum, where all of us are entitled to our own opinion. If I'm the creator of a self-moderated thread and it happens to be that the majority of the people commenting under it are against my opinion, I might likely wipe all those comments and leave only those that I see as being in my favor. I've come across a thread where a few of my posts were deleted back when I was still a newbie, if I remember correctly.

So if I'm to be asked, a self-moderated topic is good depending on the OP and how it's being used. There are situations where they are really necessary, but for threads that require open discussion and want people's opinions, I see it as unfair to make them self-moderated.
legendary

- setting up unique self-moderated rules to improve posting quality for example, as long as these self-moderated rules do not violate the official rules and are resonable

There are much more probably. The forum is very big and self-moderation is a great feature.

But recently in our German section, Unknown01 attacked me like a troll by calling me "mentally ill person" Roll Eyes because I'm trying to improve posting quality on Bitcointalk.
In addition, Unknown01 alleged that:

By the way, I would be in favor of banning self-moderated topics and if you don't like the community here, please leave our board.

What's your opinion about this?
Considering Unknown01 and his past of shady abuses, such a suggestion is just showing how limited his knowledge about the forum really is.

I'm completely against what Unknown01 suggested because self-moderation is vital in my opinion. We should not ban it.
Removing this feature would be insanely sad and affect the forum very negatively in my opinion.

So, what's your opinion? Self-moderation to get banned or to stay?  Smiley
Do you have more points, why self-moderation is a beneficial feature for Bitcointalk?
Looking forward to your replies and your votes.  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: