Pages:
Author

Topic: Show off your hardware wallet - page 5. (Read 1984 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 26, 2022, 06:54:56 AM
I have assembled a piTrezor recently to play around with as I had a spare Raspi Zero W for it. The OLED bonnet didn't cost much, so no big deal. Wireless networks are of course deactivated by appropriate dtoverlay settings. I had no use for a Raspi Zero w/o wireless connectivity, so none at home.

Until I understand the changes to the original Trezor One firmware, I won't trust the piTrezor to generate me a seed for mainnet Bitcoin or other coins.
As unmodified software like Electrum or the Trezor Suite work properly with the DIY piTrezor, I would be fine to restore an existing wallet with mnemonic seed and use it with the piTrezor. My main goal is to have something to play with and get used to a hardware wallet. I am fully aware that a piTrezor is less safe than the original genuine device as it lacks any storage and boot protection. The piTrezor boots up pretty fast and with multiple microSD cards you could switch multiple wallets easily.

Bonus is your (online) parts orders don't leave some crypto hardware wallet data trails that might one day hurt you. (Leadger™, I see you!)
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 25, 2022, 04:24:15 AM
was given to Bitcoin Miami 2022 attendees for free [1].
After seeing how much each of the attendees had to pay for various ticket passes, I wouldn't call it free [I'm sure it was already factored in (except for the SM pass holders)].

"We reserve the right to suspend, restrict or terminate your access to your Arculus Wallet and all services therein without any liability to you"
And they still had the audacity to use the following words on their website [SMH]: "Security and privacy"
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
May 25, 2022, 02:49:02 AM
Oh you are really interested about Arculus?  Smiley
I was interested to see how it looked and what the user's experience with the wallet is. But not because I like it or appreciate the geographical restrictions and limitations it comes with. A hardware wallet that was given away for free to visitors of a Bitcoin conference doesn't sound very appealing.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
May 24, 2022, 03:38:56 PM
I have never heard anyone mention this particular brand of hardware wallets before except maybe Ratimov in that big list of his. Feel free to share some more information about it and tell us how it works. Some pictures would also be appreciated similarly to how other users submitted theirs.  
Oh you are really interested about Arculus?  Smiley
I wrote about Arculus last year it in our Croatian local section, and I would never suggest anyone to waste money on this device/wallet!
It is only available in United States, and it can't be used anywhere outside it's borders, that means nothing will work including their app...
They also don't accept Bitcoin payments for purchases  Tongue , they are closed source and I heard many bad comments about them in last year.

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
May 24, 2022, 08:09:15 AM
I have an Arculus, so far it works.
I have never heard anyone mention this particular brand of hardware wallets before except maybe Ratimov in that big list of his. Feel free to share some more information about it and tell us how it works. Some pictures would also be appreciated similarly to how other users submitted theirs.   
It's a closed-source device that was given to Bitcoin Miami 2022 attendees for free [1].
From what I heard, it was criticized a lot for being all closed and sketchy to get something like this for free. Like, if you think about this, it has the potential to be worse than 'free USB sticks' [2].

Do not plug an unknown USB drive into your computer.
^^^ This also applies to closed-off hardware wallets, in addition to the ability to deanonymize and / or steal from your wallet.

It wasn't accepted well by everyone, understandably:
Taking home a free hardware wallet from a bitcoin conference the same opsec as plugging in a USB device you found in the parking lot.

Don’t touch it… #Arculus

Arculus. It kind of sounds like those multi-billion dollar "Ark" and "Oculus" companies, but in fact, it's just a dumb portmanteau that I promptly deposited into my waste receptacle. #Bitcoin2022 @nvk

"We reserve the right to suspend, restrict or terminate your access to your Arculus Wallet and all services therein without any liability to you"

They allowed this hardware wallet to be given out as a freebie at the bitcoin conference. Fuck the attendees!! Anything for profit

I took one look at that free arculus wallet in my bag at the conference and immediately threw it in the trash where it belongs.

And a big one:
It’s even worse, shows you the seed on your phone during setup. Their customer support tells you to put your phone in airplane mode if you’re concerned.

[1] https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/bitcoin-2022-attendees-to-receive-bitcoin-hardware-wallet
[2] https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/tips/ST08-001
legendary
May 24, 2022, 04:17:07 AM
Activity: 11
Merit: 2
May 23, 2022, 03:18:40 PM
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
🔐Icarus CEO💳
May 18, 2022, 07:56:45 AM
I wish I could make a giant display album out of the ones I've got (which isn't that many, but I pick them up when I see a bargain).
Yeah, do that. Share it here. I am sure many would be interested in what's out there.  

i would also be in favor of you creating an extra thread here in forum for your whole collection - in the collectibles section people like you are always very welcome Wink
that was also my intention when i created my own, which has kindly posted here by aoluain

Check out Cygan's thread on his collectibles > [INFO] CCC - cygan's crypto collection - constantly updated

Also krogothmanhatten created an info thread in suppliers of display items,
you might find something there which helps you out.>
[INFO]- STORAGE ITEMS FOR YOUR COLLECTABLES
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1249
May 18, 2022, 07:44:06 AM
snip...

As for these HWs, I understand that they have collector's value for someone and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have as large a collection as possible - I used to collect various things too, and now they collect dust Wink
I think of the oddball HW wallets as a future part of crypto history if you know what I mean.  The feeling I get when I see wallets like Ballet and quite a few others that either have serious flaws or just don't have any name recognition is that they're not going to be around in a few years.  I don't collect other bitcoin-related things, as they just don't appeal to me--but HW wallets do for some reason.

I wish I could make a giant display album out of the ones I've got (which isn't that many, but I pick them up when I see a bargain).  There doesn't seem like there's a great way to display them otherwise.  Hang them on my walls, maybe?

Yes as PmaleK posted you should take some nice snaps of your collection, we would like
to see that.

I havent seen you over at the "Collectibles" board?

Check out Cygan's thread on his collectibles > [INFO] CCC - cygan's crypto collection - constantly updated

Also krogothmanhatten created an info thread in suppliers of display items,
you might find something there which helps you out.>
[INFO]- STORAGE ITEMS FOR YOUR COLLECTABLES
legendary
May 16, 2022, 03:55:26 AM
I wish I could make a giant display album out of the ones I've got (which isn't that many, but I pick them up when I see a bargain).
Yeah, do that. Share it here. I am sure many would be interested in what's out there.  

I am such a dumbass, and I'm really embarrassed about writing that.
No, you are human. We are a species with flaws of all kinds. Anyone active in these technical boards feel dumb at times when they see the levels of knowledge those top posters possess. No harm in that. Btw, I am not counting myself in that group just so we are clear.     
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
May 15, 2022, 04:18:08 PM
You're a little confused, the self-moderated thread was made by @Pmalek who started this thread, so only he can delete posts.
OMG, I'm more than a little confused....this is what happens when the human mind is taken through a 70+ hour insomniathon and decides to make a coherent post on bitcointalk.  Pardon me for that.

As for these HWs, I understand that they have collector's value for someone and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have as large a collection as possible - I used to collect various things too, and now they collect dust Wink
I think of the oddball HW wallets as a future part of crypto history if you know what I mean.  The feeling I get when I see wallets like Ballet and quite a few others that either have serious flaws or just don't have any name recognition is that they're not going to be around in a few years.  I don't collect other bitcoin-related things, as they just don't appeal to me--but HW wallets do for some reason.

I wish I could make a giant display album out of the ones I've got (which isn't that many, but I pick them up when I see a bargain).  There doesn't seem like there's a great way to display them otherwise.  Hang them on my walls, maybe?

No, you didn't. I did back in December when I created this discussion, so everything is OK. But thanks for the laugh and for freaking out a little bit.
I am such a dumbass, and I'm really embarrassed about writing that. 
legendary
May 15, 2022, 03:49:59 PM
My contribution to this thread is going to seem very plain-Jane (at least this post), but I picked up a Ballet Lunar New Year 2022 Edition gift card 5-pack recently...
Thanks for the contribution. Since those gift cards are not proper hardware wallets, I will not add them to the table. 

Edit:  WTF?  Somehow I made this thread self-moderated, which I did not intend to do.
Cheesy
No, you didn't. I did back in December when I created this discussion, so everything is OK. But thanks for the laugh and for freaking out a little bit.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
May 15, 2022, 10:18:37 AM
Edit:  WTF?  Somehow I made this thread self-moderated, which I did not intend to do.  Sorry about that and don't worry about having your posts deleted.

You're a little confused, the self-moderated thread was made by @Pmalek who started this thread, so only he can delete posts.

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
May 15, 2022, 09:02:02 AM
My contribution to this thread is going to seem very plain-Jane (at least this post), but I picked up a Ballet Lunar New Year 2022 Edition gift card 5-pack recently, as....I'm a sucker for Ballet and for limited edition HW wallets--especially ones in card form like these:

If there wasn't that damn security issue that's far too big to ignore--the one everyone here knows about--Ballet would probably be my go-to HW wallet for cold storage.  But as it is, these will remain in my small but growing collection of card-type wallets.

Edit:  WTF?  Somehow I made this thread self-moderated, which I did not intend to do.  Sorry about that and don't worry about having your posts deleted.
May 15, 2022, 08:29:10 AM
All right, so we have our first Foundation Passport HW added to the list. A very interesting hardware wallet I wouldn't mind testing out if it weren't for the bad battery life and the fact that it's produced in the USA making it quite expensive to ship and import in Europe. Batch 2 should fix the battery problems, but unless Foundation starts working with a EU based distributor, it won't be an attractive purchase. At least not for me personally.   

How happy are you with it so far?
Regarding the battery life, it was very annoying at the start (seed backup takes some time, i.e. battery drain as well as my intensive testing), however in daily usage it drains pretty slowly.

I actually have a little update on the 'battery situation'. After having bought a huge pack of Alkaline batteries (40 or so), I've only used 2 of them so far and switched to number 3 & 4 a while ago. If you just turn it on, verify an address and turn it back off, it (understandably - but still) uses very very little energy and you can use it regularly without swapping batteries much. It also doesn't drain them at all if you leave them in when powered down (I had the suspicion there was a little power draw while turned off but I was wrong).
So it's not as bad as it first seemed, but it's still clear they messed up the circuitry; Foundation honestly admitted themselves they found this problem too late & had to 'quick fix' it by telling people to buy expensive Lithium batteries. I expect this to be much better on v2, let's see if the device meets expectations.

They actually do have a distributor; v1 was available through BTCDirect. However the price is similar to importing yourself so I prefer that.
Here's a list of all resellers: https://foundationdevices.com/resellers/

It's currently one of my most frequently used wallets, probably only second to a software wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
May 11, 2022, 05:50:20 AM
All right, so we have our first Foundation Passport HW added to the list. A very interesting hardware wallet I wouldn't mind testing out if it weren't for the bad battery life and the fact that it's produced in the USA making it quite expensive to ship and import in Europe. Batch 2 should fix the battery problems, but unless Foundation starts working with a EU based distributor, it won't be an attractive purchase. At least not for me personally.  

There was thread about this wallet and I remember that we tried to predict what price of this wallet will be. There was predictions in range between $500-1000, I predicted $250, so I was more close to real price. Initially it was $299, later $199. Still, expensive compared with other wallets. And yeah, interesting how much it would cost to get it delivered to EU with shipping and import duties.

^
Interesting Idea!

I use both Trezor and Ledger hardware wallets. I have them both for over 2 years
and both work perfectly still or since I last used them anyway.

I use the Ledger Nano more often for coins in and coins out and the Trezor
is for HODL coins and so lives out of sight in the dark crevasses of the house
with some 'hook & loop' tape to fix it there . The Ledger lives in a  drawer with
other random USB's and stuff.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e1hk8o3Ao9k/YfJH5M_kOMI/AAAAAAAAA4M/hFk0tGV8elUAUZv-589bj7E0ZzqyHBsjQCNcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1643268066851619-0.png
I noticed your post just now and I also thought why someone would need to so many hardware wallets Cheesy. But that's just many USB keys and one Ledger. And this Verbatim USB - now you bring me memories maybe 15 years back when my home was full of Verbatim CD-R's with movies and games Cheesy.
legendary
May 11, 2022, 04:24:50 AM

May 10, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
The Ledger Nano S is still the leader among those who have posted in this thread to show of their hardware wallets. It's been a couple of months since anyone made a new post, have there been any new purchases that you would like to show the users of Bitcointalk? Tell us about your experience and show a couple of pictures.
The images of my Foundation Passport can be found here:

I still use it and I'll make another thread for Passport v2, my latest hardware wallet purchase, once it arrives.

About other devices that I own / owned / use / used, I prefer to keep the information I share to a minimum for obvious reasons of operations security.. Smiley
legendary
May 10, 2022, 09:35:04 AM
The Ledger Nano S is still the leader among those who have posted in this thread to show of their hardware wallets. It's been a couple of months since anyone made a new post, have there been any new purchases that you would like to show the users of Bitcointalk? Tell us about your experience and show a couple of pictures.
legendary
January 27, 2022, 04:51:51 AM
I use both Trezor and Ledger hardware wallets. I have them both for over 2 years
and both work perfectly still or since I last used them anyway.
My eyes went straight to the picture before reading your post and I thought, how many Ledger's does this guy have? Those three silver USBs on the top kind of look like the Nano S. The one next to the blue Verbatim USB is also similar but the sticker gives it away. I will put you down for 1 Trezor One and 1 Ledger Nano S.
Pages:
Jump to: