Pages:
Author

Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack - page 46. (Read 136139 times)

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Although at this point is very difficult to trust anyone, I prefer to believe the version of Zhou. We all seemed impossible and ridiculous that they could steal 40k dollars, without could be quickly and easily traceable, plus there is no need to risk having stolen so 40k bitcoins. Zhou's story reinforces my theory that the theft of dollars only pretended to distract the attention, but considering that never caught a bitcoins thief , makes more sense to go to incriminate Zhou.

Call me gullible but I see so

Honestly if the money is forthcoming, I do not care who stole it.

With so much idealism libertarian around the bitcoin and here already there who want to freeze bitcoin addresses ... should not be so hypocritical, nobody likes being robbed but we can not pretend to have a currency outside the government and come running to their laws when rob us.

PD:

It seems incredible that anyone thinks that Zhou is so stupid as to do something like that and get caught so foolishly..
Activity: 661
Merit: 500
Makes you wonder if Zhou Tong isnt a public figurehead for someone else working the strings.

Just consider one point, he was terrible with written english and transformed overnight as if there were two seperate entities controlling his account.

Yeh this is likely fringe conspiracy but its hard to know whats really true anymore.

That is one theory I believe in.  Otherwise, for now I will have to believe he is innocent.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
100%
Makes you wonder if Zhou Tong isnt a public figurehead for someone else working the strings.

Just consider one point, he was terrible with written english and transformed overnight as if there were two seperate entities controlling his account.

Yeh this is likely fringe conspiracy but its hard to know whats really true anymore.

Can you say scam cabal?

There's probably some noble Englishmen involved in all this. Of course the Queen wouldn't know about that.

Fuck I love those guys.

Relic collections.. frickin nuts!

They probably have some skulls dipped in gold, too.

Activity: 504
Merit: 502
I'm simply amazed on how a 17-year-old is able to globe-trot and jet-setting to: China; Singapore; Australia; (?).

Pro traveler tip: A quarter million dollars in stolen deposits tend to make it easier.

But.... hes just from a very basic family and he spend all of his earnings on his family debt/home/wtfever.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I'm simply amazed on how a 17-year-old is able to globe-trot and jet-setting to: China; Singapore; Australia; (?).

Pro traveler tip: A quarter million dollars in stolen deposits tend to make it easier.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
He said one of his co-workers was quite active in Chinese Bitcoin community and he had noticed the source code of Bitcoinica being leaked. The reason that he (the technical guy) knew the correlation between the Mt. Gox API key and the LastPass master password remains unknown. I have only communicated this password in-person with Tihan in Chimelong Hotel (Guangzhou) lobby once in February this year and I'm quite sure that no one else has paid any attention to our conversation.

phantomcircuit=zhoutong?

Not sure how you got to that conclusion, lol.

I do like the fact you have quotes surprisingly from phantomcircuit.  Roll Eyes

All of this turned into fudge.
legendary

phantomcircuit=zhoutong?

This is the camp I'm in.

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

phantomcircuit=zhoutong?

Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Its a mark of the ecosystem that a child was able to make an exchange and dupe many people into handing over many hundreds of thousands of dollars, which he then withdrew in a series of deliberate catastrophies.

The blatant and desperate lying makes it all the more troubling that someone of clearly reduced intelligence was able to accomplish this. Even worse, there are a few who buy the child's bullshit.

Some have initiated legal proceedings, others have opted for vigilante action. I sincerely hope that the cops get to him before the vigilante does. He is way out of his depth, as are many of the fools who gave him so much money in the first place.

A child treading water while sitting on a huge pile of money is an attractive proposition for other criminals and hackers remember...

BB.
legendary
Months of mudslinging and you manage to solve the riddle within just a few short hours and you never thought of confronting this mystery millionaire previous business partner before all this came to light ?

Tickle me suprised, VERY SURPRISED.

I was just thinking that.

All evidence aside, isn't it kind of convenient that within 6 hours of accusation all of a sudden surfaces a 'multi million dollar Chinese hacker friend who stole Zhou's identity'

Where was this hacker all along? Why did it come to light in the middle of the night ?

I agree with Charlie. In just a few hours after our release, Zhou Tong was able to:

- Find who supposedly broke into his "secret, testing only" email address used to do the hack.
- He got him to "surprisingly" (as per his own post) admit guilt almost immediately.
- Connect all the dots and explain how the whole hack was planned and executed.
- Apparently this multi-millionaire Chinese relic collector who was one a business partner of Zhou had the need to hack into MtGox, use Zhou's identity to get him framed, but later got so scared and confess the whole thing in a matter of minutes.

Taking into consideration the information released as a result of our joint investigation, the Chinese LR transaction found that has not been explained by Zhou yet, and this fantastical "telenovela" story, I am absolutely flabbergasted that some members of the bitcoin community are even entertaining the possibility of his story being plausible.

It was plausible until you presented the telenovela a la Cliff's Notes.
Activity: 761
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
Agreed. It seems Zhou has been digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself and needs to come up with more fantastical explanations each time.

This one really cracked me up:

Chen Jianhai was only able to offer the above-mentioned amount due to the cost of his laundering activities and also the significantly lower Bitcoin price when he cashed out.

...A multi-millionaire relic collector and former business partner admitting theft and then complaining about high money laundering costs when it comes to returning the stolen money. Brilliant!

Whoever did it - The money better return to Bitcoinica LP asap before legal and/or criminal investigations commence or people will end up in jail. Playtime is over.
legendary
The only evidence in my email account was a credit card fraud case of only a few hundred dollars, which isn't very significant compared to the Bitcoinica hack.

Explain how you do credit card fraud using an email address??

This is something I would invest it. I wish I knew somebody who could hack together a website in a couple hours so that we can get other investors on board. I'm getting the domain name now: CarteBlanchica (dot com).
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
The only evidence in my email account was a credit card fraud case of only a few hundred dollars, which isn't very significant compared to the Bitcoinica hack.

Explain how you do credit card fraud using an email address??
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1042
Death to enemies!
Hack failed!
donator
Activity: 544
A contradiction i didn't saw anywhere ( or just missed ) is the 100btc back from the theft to zhou "philanthropist refunding" account.
I noticed this too.
Zhou said that Chen sold Bitcoins. If this happened before 2012-07-14 03:23:37 (when the 100BTC were transferred into the donation wallet), there's no contradiction, rather the unknown donator is another potential witness or co-consiprator, and can potentially provide more information. Maybe it belongs to f1ex.com, a mixing service or one of their customers.
legendary
Come on, people.

Hasn't anyone seen "Fight Club" or "The Usual Suspects" ?

Zhou Tong is Chen Jianhai.

Check out my last post on the other thread. I'm going to bed.

Night, all.

~Bruno~
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Come on, people.

Hasn't anyone seen "Fight Club" or "The Usual Suspects" ?

Zhou Tong is Chen Jianhai.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
I read all this shit with both delectation (because of the thriller 2.0 spirit) and sadness for the victims.
A contradiction i didn't saw anywhere ( or just missed ) is the 100btc back from the theft to zhou "philanthropist refunding" account. it is strange to me because somewhere else zhou stated that his "ex-assosiate - cb-Frauder - theft" doesn't speak english.
am i missing anything here?

I noticed this too. He didn't say that he doesn't speak english, just that he's not proficient (probably well enough for basic reading). What's curious about it is that even after the 100BTC went to Zhou's donation address, he was still insisting that the culprit isn't reading the forum/threads. That one aurumxchange ticket would not be enough to be "sure", but then Zhou seems to take a lot of things at face value without much apparent evidence (ie the culprit's real name, the culprit being a millionaire, etc.)

He probably doesn't know that. I have received another email just now and it seems that the hacker isn't aware of this thread at all:

https://www.aurumxchange.com/help/ticket.php?track=Y72-1AN-3Y4H&Refresh=32888

I have located a suspect, his name is 陈建海(Chen Jianhai). He's NOT my friend and we have never met in person. He was one of my previous business associates because he's very familiar with credit card fraud and he advised me a lot (in terms of fraud prevention, of course) when I built my virtual goods payment processor in late 2010.

He has knowledge of my secret gmail address and I have once re-used the password in his web shop

His English is not very proficient and I'm sure that he's not reading this forum at the moment. I'm giving him a call now to persuade him to admit his wrong-doing and return the funds.

I'll post another thread soon.

Another issue I've noticed is the seemingly conflicting statements about the LastPass password and account:

On ycombinator zhoutong claims he didn't set the LastPass password:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4240408
Well I do agree with you that Bitcoinica was not 100% secure. This hack really has nothing to do with the app or its infrastructure.
- I didn't set the password. - I didn't have the power to change the password. - I shouldn't have access to the account.
The root cause is LastPass account being stolen.

My version of the story is, Tihan selected a password from one of the Mt. Gox API keys and we face-to-face agreed to use that. There was no plan to release the source code ever (and if I did it myself, I would at least remove the credentials). The password has never been changed for 5 months, despite the transfer of ownership.

I didn't expect to be able to log in to LastPass after Bitcoinica Consultancy took over. So I didn't try.

I still don't think zhoutong was responsible, and I hope he can explain the source of the LR funds for his "friend" (said to be $100k in one place and quoted as "unlimited" in another).
Pages:
Jump to: