Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1815. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 19, 2013, 01:36:50 PM
Thanks Sam, appreciate your response!
Activity: 778
Merit: 563
August 19, 2013, 01:36:42 PM

Thanks

Sam

and thank you...  keep on schedule!  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
August 19, 2013, 01:36:13 PM
Again I will ask. What is "high end components"?

I would imagine he means datacenter grade, just take a look at the chassis for an $8K server.  Lets start with the easy stuff.  First they all have internal power supplies and are 19" wide so they will fit in a datacenter rack without the need for shelves.  

Normally CPUs and GPUs are just passive (fanless) heatsinks which use the case air flow to cool them.  The "case" fans provide the forced air across all components using multiple high CFM (noisy) fans.  Nobody uses "gamer brand" gear.* Air flow is an optimal front to back design (cold aisle to hot aisle).  Cooling is forced flow across the entire width of the chassis (multiple fans in a "line") for simplicity and reliability. On higher end servers cooling is redundant, two fans stacked together to prevent overheat in a fan failure.  Redundant power supplies are also common for the same reason.

I understand time is critical but what happens when your fan or PSU dies in the datacenter?  Ask anyone with colocated servers, "remote hands" time is expensive and so is downtime.  There is a reason why $8K servers are built this way and lets face it a $8K mining rig is pretty much an expensive mission critical server.  

Note I am not saying KNC should make "professional grade" rigs at this time, it is more a thought exercise. Come on people you should be enthusiasts.  Don't you ever just brainstorm about how things can be done better?  I mean Satoshi did and that is why we have Bitcoin.  Still it shouldn't be taken as a bash on KNC, it has taken the server industry a couple decades to come up with optimal configurations.  It just is to show what people in the IT hardware world would consider "professional grade" today.  To their credit KNC has already designed a better cooling system them BFL.  The mere fact that their heatsinks and fans all face the same direction is a significant improvement.  Everytime I look at a photo of a BFL minirig I just cringe.  The IT geek in me wants to rip out all those stupid fans and do it right. Smiley

This goes beyond KNC but most "consumer" branded cooling gear is just garbage for gamers to waste money on.  The CFM ratings tend to be inflated and they are often more expensive then "professional grade" equipment.  Delta and the like is the real deal.  Boring, black, ugly, and very effective.
I'm quoting this because this is a definition of waste and overkill in a mining operation.

Couple of years ago I read the report from people who did genetic programming experiments on a large scale. Genetic programming is somewhat like CPU mining: 100% CPU use, 0 disk use, very little RAM, very little network.

Firstly, for the $8k budget one could get approximately 100 off-lease but working office desktop computers. The important part: instead of expensive 19" racks you would use the much cheaper industrial warehouse shelving.

No reliable components are required in any of the particular unit. One can swap the failed parts after failure because there isn't any need to save any data or redo the partial computations.

The major areas for savings are:

1) use interruptible industrial electric power instead of the guaranted power. The cost of power where the utility can ask you to turn off your equipment when they need it more than offsets the losses caused by such interruptions.

2) instead of expensive datacenter real estate use the opportunistic short term leases, e.g. the cafeteria/food court areas in some underutilized office buildings. You can agree to move your farm within one week notice without much expense.

3) almost no capital expenses for the UPS. You need one or two UPSes for the private pool server that you are running and some SNMP monitoring concentrator that keeps you informed about the status of your hardware.

4) you completely don't need the advanced security of the data center. Nobody's going to sneak in and copy your hashes. The only real danger is that somebody physically steals the mining hardware. Such a security level is much cheaper, more akin to the security at the construction site.

5) natural convective cooling instead of the forced air conditioning. On the rare occasion that it is really hot outside just underclock/undervolt your farm.

If the bitcoin mining is going to become a low-margin game then the first ones to lose money and go bankrupt will be the ones who put their mining hardware into the conventional data centers.

Edit: several typos fixed
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Bringing new ASIC miners to life
August 19, 2013, 01:31:54 PM
Hi,

I see a lot of talk about our choice of case design, in fact about our design choices in general so I thought I would jump in and clear some things up if I can.

We have always tried to make it clear that we aim to provide a machine that gets shipped on time.

Time to market is the most critical thing for us. We have a small window of opportunity here with a lot of competition coming out after us with products they claim are better than ours. (well after all they wouldn’t be very good competition if they claimed it would be worse.)

So  yes we have saved time on a few things. We can all agree that the look of the machine is not a top priority. We never said it would be. if it’s a big enough deal we could always put up a poll on our site and ask. Then we would know for our next generation. Sweden has some lovely design houses that would welcome the consult on a global product. This wouldn’t make it hash any faster but it would delay the product shipment for sure. These things would have to be modeled tested and tried etc etc, A far easier solution would be to use off the shelf parts which have a proven track record, over spec them by quite a bit (going back to our margins upon margins upon margins claim) So the decision was an easy one. The first boxes to leave our building will be delivered on time because we haven’t spent even a single meeting debating anything that was not 100% essential. The look is not essential for us at all, most of our customers don’t care and that means we don’t care.

As for the external power supply. Most small devices come with an external power supply ours is just a big devices that needs one. We could make our device bigger and have the power supply inside which would mean a larger shipping box, and a larger package sent to you. That would mean extra shipping costs. It would also mean more engineering of the airflow inside the case. (all fans must point the same way really) This comes under the “waste of time category” a far quicker solution is to let the customer supply and use an external power supply, (like all of the smaller components) Then you can simply have it on the outside of the case so it won’t get in the way of the airflow. Yes it fits on a 19inch rack shelf, There is space behind the unit for a power supply on the shelves (this is what we are doing in our hosting), You are welcome to use cable ties to make it look nice and keep it secure if you want to.
  Another one of our internal rules is that unless its 100% essential we simply don’t spend time on it.

The bottom line is what you are getting from KNC is over engineered and not over designed.  Imagine how upset people would be if we had something that looked great but we were delayed because of the design.

Thanks

Sam
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 19, 2013, 12:48:16 PM
Activity: 70
August 19, 2013, 12:46:05 PM
And maybe all you guys could be stopping stupid "who can pee most far" contest, yes?
And maybe all you Russians could stop stupid discriminating against gays, yes?
Activity: 427
Merit: 100
August 19, 2013, 12:39:49 PM
And maybe all you guys could be stopping stupid "who can pee most far" contest, yes?
August 19, 2013, 12:35:02 PM
Funny, your specific issue concerned me in this thread. I haven't said I haven't been active within other threads in this forum, especially with BFL's recent stunt. It's solid gold entertainment.
If I post any more questions in this thread, do not feel "concerned" to address them with your brand of factless "facts". I'd rather speak with other members who don't have the vested interests you do.

You must be in politics or PR, as your answers are empty and don't say anything. They follow a simple rhetorical pattern. Very self assured and you always assume the upper hand, no matter where you stand. Makes you a quality BSer. KNC would be foolish not to employ you.
KS
Activity: 448
August 19, 2013, 12:28:18 PM
But stop giving legal advice when you don't know the first thing about it.
+1

P.S. KS, if you have any links or info about 2 year consumer rights being trimmed to 1 for businesses, pm me. Thanks

Official EU 2" year warranty": http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm
Full brochure: http://ec.europa.eu/archives/publications/booklets/move/64/index_en.htm

Business "consumer rights" are defined in the contract (for KNCMINER contract = T&C). Here's KNCMINER 1 year warranty:
"6.1  KnCMiner warrants that the Products, will perform according to the at all times published specification for a period of twelve (12) months (...)"
https://www.kncminer.com/pages/tandc

The "consumer rights" for businesses are basically that you get what you ordered and that it should work reasonably well (unless there are more exclusion clauses in the contract). If you're not happy, you either bargain with the seller (if you're lucky) or you sue (the rest of the time). A business vs business lawsuit is not the same as consumer vs business one. The consumer is over-protected, while the business is not (and a lot of haggling of the contract will ensue). Anyway, suing is really mostly money lost and time wasted. (Cost of doing business).

BTCOrama could do HIS due diligence and confirm what I said with a lawyer of his choice.

edit: fixed link
Activity: 462
August 19, 2013, 12:06:09 PM

If she gives in to that, she's sure to be damaged in some other way - which isn't to say that you're not still getting a bargain! Smiley

They're all damaged canth

Yes, it's a matter of figuring out in what way and to what degree. I refer to the well known Hot-Crazy ScaleTM

Classic!!!!!
August 19, 2013, 12:02:41 PM
I had stayed away for a week whilst you cried about external PSUs and their housing since they released the info.
Funny your "last posts of bitcoinorama" shows you have posted EVERY day in August.

Funny, your specific issue concerned me in this thread. I haven't said I haven't been active within other threads in this forum, especially with BFL's recent stunt. It's solid gold entertainment.

August 19, 2013, 11:46:52 AM
I had stayed away for a week whilst you cried about external PSUs and their housing since they released the info.
Funny your "last posts of bitcoinorama" shows you have posted EVERY day in August.

My responses were sensible, clearly as the above demonstrates, yours aren't. Don't bring up hypothetical scenarios of superpowers bombing themselves into oblivion if you want your objections to be taken seriously. Asking them yourself if the only way to resolve this nonsense that's occurred since they released their case design a week ago. Deal with it.
Your 40 or 50 pages of comments on this thread are enough. Stop mega-regulating/PRing this thread. How can you write so much when you don't know a bean more than anyone else?

See you in September! Try and meet some girls!
Activity: 462
August 19, 2013, 11:40:17 AM
Seriously I don't know what the fuck people are expecting here. You ordering a bitcoin prototype miner FFS not a Gucci designer Nvidia graphics card that needs shiny stickers on it.
You are a real troll.

Cheapo cpu cooler fails, board fries. Takes one week to return to Sweden for repairs = major btc loses.

Use highest quality components, to make it less likely any components will fail = professional device.

Hey idiot!!  Lots of 'professional devices' have 'just good enough' components depending on the circumstances

Troll again - you face planted on that one

And there is zero reason to be kind to you trolls anymore.
August 19, 2013, 11:38:59 AM
What? You dissipated facts and proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I.
1. dissipating the argument by blaming me for dissipating the argument! Good rhetoric. And other one of your factual assertion ("not I"). You brought Sony into the equation. What the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners? Total BS, dissipating what I was talking about.

How could I take that as a genuine concern?
Why would you? It's none of your business, unless it's your business? Why do you see it as your job to field "genuine concerns", when you always claim to have no connection with knc?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that.
Why do you always dissipate them then?

I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.
So was I, until you tossed Sony into the equation. Again, what the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners?

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all
Here we go - do your own research! Right on cue.

otherwise we may as well chase tails
But you assert facts all the time, when do you chase your tale?

i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested.
You don't know this for a fact, but state it for a fact. Keep it up.

From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it.
Here we go again. Dissipation and bullshit. I posed a completely real scenario about the miner falling and tearing connectors to shreds. What was your response to that? None. And yet you make this factual assertion that "I really see no issue with it". Pah.

I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose.
Again, factual assertion and bullshit. Many people on this thread have said that data centres will reject it. Stop trying to change reality with BS.

I won't even bother with the rest of your post, as it's more of the same factless factual assertions.

Your PR on this thread is tiresome. If you are really not connected to knc, stay away from this thread for a week and let people have their say without trying to steer and control what's being said.

I had stayed away for a week whilst you cried about external PSUs and their housing since they released the info. My responses were sensible, clearly as the above demonstrates, yours aren't. Don't bring up hypothetical scenarios of superpowers bombing themselves into oblivion as a means to support your criticism of warranty period that sufficiently covers the useful profitable life of the product if you want your objections to be taken seriously. Asking them yourself if the only way to resolve this nonsense that's occurred since they released their case design a week ago. Deal with it.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2013, 11:37:01 AM

If she gives in to that, she's sure to be damaged in some other way - which isn't to say that you're not still getting a bargain! Smiley

Yes, it's a matter of figuring out in what way and to what degree. I refer to the well known Hot-Crazy ScaleTM

Activity: 198
August 19, 2013, 11:32:26 AM

I'm not married buddy, but it sounds like you've approached this the wrong way around; should I ever consider such mutual cohabitation, I'll make sure she understands she's welcome to the garage and the home office, but the living room is strictly out of bounds to her say so. The cab stays! Tongue

August 19, 2013, 11:32:20 AM
What? You dissipated facts and proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I.
1. dissipating the argument by blaming me for dissipating the argument! Good rhetoric. And other one of your factual assertion ("not I"). You brought Sony into the equation. What the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners? Total BS, dissipating what I was talking about.

How could I take that as a genuine concern?
Why would you? It's none of your business, unless it's your business? Why do you see it as your job to field "genuine concerns", when you always claim to have no connection with knc?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that.
Why do you always dissipate them then?

I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.
So was I, until you tossed Sony into the equation. Again, what the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners?

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all
Here we go - do your own research! Right on cue.

otherwise we may as well chase tails
But you assert facts all the time, when do you chase your tale?

i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested.
You don't know this for a fact, but state it for a fact. Keep it up.

From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it.
Here we go again. Dissipation and bullshit. I posed a completely real scenario about the miner falling and tearing connectors to shreds. What was your response to that? None. And yet you make this factual assertion that "I really see no issue with it". Pah.

I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose.
Again, factual assertion and bullshit. Many people on this thread have said that data centres will reject it. Stop trying to change reality with BS.

I won't even bother with the rest of your post, as it's more of the same factless factual assertions.

Your PR on this thread is tiresome. If you are really not connected to knc, stay away from this thread for a week and let people have their say without trying to steer and control what's being said.
Activity: 238
August 19, 2013, 11:14:09 AM
Actually, I would bet that bitcoin prices would go way up if there was some kind of major war and governments started toppling, the hashrate would probably end up going up.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2013, 11:12:42 AM

I'm not married buddy, but it sounds like you've approached this the wrong way around; should I ever consider such mutual cohabitation, I'll make sure she understands she's welcome to the garage and the home office, but the living room is strictly out of bounds to her say so. The cab stays! Tongue

August 19, 2013, 11:09:56 AM
Oh shit, you are saying that our miners which effectively have a lifespan of a maximum of 6 months of relevancy only offer a warranty of up to 1 year instead of 2?
1. Says who?
2. You are forgetting - RESALE. People are still eagerly buying 333Mh/s usb miners on ebay today. There will still be a market for a 400GH/s miner in 12 or 15 months, so the warranty should extend that far too.

Please don't order from KnC if their 1 Year warranty is an issue to you.

Order from BFL, they have a lifetime warranty!

Also as far as I'm aware resale often negates warranties. Certainly does with Sony.
Well let's just say that America drops a bomb on China (or vice versa) and then mining difficulty goes right down again. Maybe in 14 months my 400GH/s is still a slick piece of machinery. And then the crappy cpu cooler dies and board fries. My consumer device should be under warranty.

Why? Most manufacturers rarely give you more than a year unless they are forced to. Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate.
Surprised knc don't have a
"add an extra 1 year warranty for only $3000!" option.
 Grin
Ooh ooh, a slight on knc. Dive in and save them bitcoinorama!

Ok, I've realised you're just here to troll now. This is a pointless waste of time.
My last word to you is this. You, Bitcoinorama, make a lot of statements along the lines:
This is how things are, i.e. this is fact (which people read)
but do your own research (which people ignore, because they are lazy)

So they are left believing the first statement as fact/truth.

I'm pointing that out to you so you can realise, if you don't, that that is what you do.

You have a massive influence over the direction of everything discussed in this thread or any other thread related to knc. You seem to pop up in all of them.

All my questions about components, warranty etc are valid. And you jump all over them, try to dismiss them. You like to dissipate them with no facts, e.g. "Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate." Like most of the things you say, you don't know whether that will or won't happen. But you like to confidently assert you know all the facts, like YOU know the truth for sure.

On "will America drop a bomb on China" (aka doing a bitcoinorama)
Factual assertion: It definitely won't happen.
Disclaimer: Do your own research, read up news media in your own country. Don't take my word for it
Spurious link: http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog/2013/07/12/why-china-and-the-us-probably-wont-go-to-war/
(Spurious link attempts to prove the factual assertion, wiping away the disclaimer. So reader walks away thinking the factual assertion is fact).

What? You proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I. How could I take that as a genuine concern?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that. I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all, otherwise we may as well chase tails, as we can only assume why they made particular choices, i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested. From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it. I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose. It's is clearly a workhorse to be made to effectively mine and be produced to possess in the briefest possible time period. It's life cycle, if we're all honest with eachother here is unlikely to last beyond 12 months before everyone will have moved to a latter generation. If people wish to buy a second hand unit, fine, but they will require access to v.cheap electricity for any of the current unit, or those to be realised over the next 4 months units to remain plugged in this time next year. Regardless of BTC price the hashrate will undoubtedly grow to fit a minimal profit/elec cost margin.
Jump to: