Pages:
Author

Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right? - page 3. (Read 30401 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

It's amazing how many commodores and apples still exist and work. Excluding hard drives, floppy drives and the like.

Every one of the laptops I have owned eventually shit the bed yet I still have a working Commodore 4plus, apple IIe, Commodore 64, pong, and the atari 2600 (Sears version), Wyse terminal, VT100 terminal, and more geeky old shit that used a lot of power. I hold on to a 13 inch color tv just to plug these things in, wait tens of minutes for it to start and 10s more minutes to load a game just so we can point and laugh at an 8 bit world. (Loaded from cassette with a modern boom box, holy shit, those things are 32 years old and they still work)

I've still got a PET 2001. Works like a charm even after 35 years.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
There
OS X 10.5.8
So, an OS that is now 5 years old and beyond end of life (no more security fixes). You shouldn't even be allowed online with that.

There are so many devices older then that online it's silly. It's an arbitrarily silly requirement.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
It's amazing how many commodores and apples still exist and work. Excluding hard drives, floppy drives and the like.

Every one of the laptops I have owned eventually shit the bed yet I still have a working Commodore 4plus, apple IIe, Commodore 64, pong, and the atari 2600 (Sears version), Wyse terminal, VT100 terminal, and more geeky old shit that used a lot of power. I hold on to a 13 inch color tv just to plug these things in, wait tens of minutes for it to start and 10s more minutes to load a game just so we can point and laugh at an 8 bit world. (Loaded from cassette with a modern boom box, holy shit, those things are 32 years old and they still work)
Back then, they built computers to last. Who wants to pay $20,000 for a piece of equipment that dies in a few years? Nowadays, people replace their computers so often for upgrades that it doesn't really make sense to build them to last more than a few years.
Activity: 784
Merit: 101
OS X 10.5.8
So, an OS that is now 5 years old and beyond end of life (no more security fixes). You shouldn't even be allowed online with that.

So I guess I can't run Bitcoin on my Apple IIgs?
http://www.geeks.org/~taubert/gstcp/

Activity: 156
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 1dithi

Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

I like both  ฿ and Ƀ.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
OS X 10.5.8

So I guess I can't run Bitcoin on my Apple IIgs?
http://www.geeks.org/~taubert/gstcp/
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)

Furthermore, I consider that we should use Ƀ as the official Bitcoin symbol.

I second the motion...we can wait 5-10 years to get back to the B||...but we need a killer logo to introduce the B- symbol...
Logo Design Contest by Coinabul
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
It would be nice to have an educated, well thought out, and reasonable estimate of the amount of time it would take for a large fraction of users to have the BTC symbol work (and for someone to fill in all the assumptions with reasonable guesses)...

Well, sorry but the discussion in this thread is less about BTC than about the general UTF-8 code to be used when communicating bitcoin and when it comes to that, using some web-font is no solution as not every form of communication allows to paint pretty pictures (use webfonts).
Also I see it as no solution to add some post in the Meta-subforum on how to make BTC display well when we want newbies to come and feel at home without having to jump through loops prior to using the forum.

OS X 10.5.8
There are plenty of older systems around, if you really want to enforce your ideal OS standard then I'll believe it when you turn up on my doorstep.  I'm easy to find.
At the very least, it's grounds for automatic ignoring complaints about standard things not working for you. The bugs were already fixed, you're just using a known-buggy version.

You may very well ignore his complaint concerning his system but you might have noticed that there are many others with fully updated machines that have severe issues that you can't ignore. For them you only have your religious reasons about pushing standards against any common sense.

Suggesting that people who aren't upgraded to the latest version of something should be discounted is really elitist.

Believe it or not, I met elitist people on this very forum Wink

Luke, did you get giant BTC tatooed on your butt that you defend it so religiously?

No, he has B|| on his forehead.

Furthermore, I consider that we should use Ƀ as the official Bitcoin symbol.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
Luke -- here's how it renders on Mountain Lion / chrome:

pfft! oh my god! coffee everywhere Smiley
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
Luke, did you get giant BTC tatooed on your butt that you defend it so religiously?
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
Suggesting that people who aren't upgraded to the latest version of something should be discounted is really elitist.
I didn't say that. His version is so old that it isn't even patched against known security vulnerabilities. It's like driving a car with known-bad brakes.

It came off that way. Especially when combined with the suggested ban of old operating systems from the internet Smiley

FWIW... I am upgraded to the latest version of OS X and safari and the two character double vertical line thing looks like crap on my browser also. The lines are shifted to the right as shown by others. All of the samples on the luke-jr test page kind of look like a hacked B in one way or another. (which is what they are)

The BTC conversion to the image looks good where supported and requires no mandatory support by those who don't wish to support it. It will look good and be understood on everything from a typewriter to a web browser.
On a typewriter, one can write B, go back, and write the double bar.

By the way, the "B-Box" looks perfect on my computer. Ubuntu 12.04.
I didn't say that. His version is so old that it isn't even patched against known security vulnerabilities. It's like driving a car with known-bad brakes.

It came off that way. Especially when combined with the suggested ban of old operating systems from the internet Smiley

FWIW... I am upgraded to the latest version of OS X and safari and the two character double vertical line thing looks like crap on my browser also. The lines are shifted to the right as shown by others. All of the samples on the luke-jr test page kind of look like a hacked B in one way or another. (which is what they are)

The BTC conversion to the image looks good where supported and requires no mandatory support by those who don't wish to support it. It will look good and be understood on everything from a typewriter to a web browser.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Or a piece of paper.
There shouldn't be any problems writing/reading it on paper...

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I made a test page for the BTC symbol in Unicode since this forum forces a non-Unicode encoding.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) with all updates, even optional ones.

Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m

I got the same on my Nokia N9 running MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan version PR1.3 (the current version) using the current version of Opera Mobile.

The same thing appears with Amaya.
legendary
What about mobile browsers? They represent a growing portion of the market, and some of these symbols don't even show up on the Galaxy S3.
Then use BTC, inline images, or webfonts. I'm not supporting usage of the proper unicode symbol, unlike Luke, but rather discontinuation of usage of the Baht symbol.
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
What about mobile browsers? They represent a growing portion of the market, and some of these symbols don't even show up on the Galaxy S3.
legendary
B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!)
B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

How many times do you need to see posts from others saying (and even showing) that it isn't displaying for the majority of people as it does for you?
Such problems are irrelevant. I'm not suggesting changing anything.

Are you using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8?
No, I only use UTF-8.

Have you successfully rendered this symbol on a system using UTF-8?
Yep, in fact I'm pretty sure these forums use UTF-8 only.

Edit: Actually, looking at the source, I see the forum is choosing ISO-8859-1 encoding, which doesn't work with Unicode at all. This is likely the reason why many people are having technical problems.

No, it's not. The forum encodes the text in ISO-8859-1 encoding, which is the standard for all webpages and has full support of all languages. The only deficiency in ISO-8859-1 is that unicode characters cannot be sent directly, which is not what the forum does. It, correctly, encodes all non-codepage characters with HTML entities, which is the standard method of unicode encoding today and is universally used.

Your test page accomplishes even less support than this forum, because some browsers choose to ignore encodings in the HTTP header and detect it themselves.
OS X 10.5.8
There are plenty of older systems around, if you really want to enforce your ideal OS standard then I'll believe it when you turn up on my doorstep.  I'm easy to find.
At the very least, it's grounds for automatic ignoring complaints about standard things not working for you. The bugs were already fixed, you're just using a known-buggy version.

If this is truly a serious discussion about adopting a standard symbol.... whatever is picked should display on the least advanced media..

like a green screen WYSE terminal. Vt100 terminal, etc.

Or a piece of paper.

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
I made a test page for the BTC symbol in Unicode since this forum forces a non-Unicode encoding.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) with all updates, even optional ones.

Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m

On my Gnex, it's a bunch of normal B's.

Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) / unrooted
Baseband:  I9250XXLF1
Kernel:  3.0.31-g6fb96c9
android-build@vpbs1 )
#1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 28 11:02:39 PDT 2012

Chrome 18.0.1025308
Pages:
Jump to: