Pages:
Author

Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right? - page 6. (Read 30401 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
And please while you are at it, un-bold it Wink

Seconding this request.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.
I see...so it will require two codes to generate...in time I suppose the implementation will catch up with the spec. I get Bbox on my iPad on iOS 6.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
Is the "TC" supposed to actually be invisible? I see it as "B⃦TC"

Sounds like your browser is ignoring parts of my webfont, likely in violation of standards. Smiley

Anyone know how to fix this?

Hey don't tell me there are browsers that violate standards!!!!1!!

I guess using Ƀ could fix that issue.

Ok, you made that font with T and C having 0pt/px/cm width. Can you try 1px instead? My guess is that konqueror tries to fix missing letters and a 1px letter would most likely not trigger such a "fix" but with the letter being invisible it would still yield almost the same result.

And please while you are at it, un-bold it Wink
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032

Sounds like your browser is ignoring parts of my webfont, likely in violation of standards. Smiley

Anyone know how to fix this?
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.
Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.
(Ok, seriously, are you talking about this: BTC? So either it should load the Webfont resulting in BTC being displayed as "B with decoration", "invisible T", "invisible C" or your w3c/lynx on a non-unicode console should just display BTC … or your smart browser decides that there is something wrong with letters that have zero width so it defaults to another font. Which browser are you using?)
"B⃦TC" is shown by Konqueror/KHTML, Rekonq, and QupZilla.
Nobody browses with these except Richard Stallman and Co.
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.
Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.
(Ok, seriously, are you talking about this: BTC? So either it should load the Webfont resulting in BTC being displayed as "B with decoration", "invisible T", "invisible C" or your w3c/lynx on a non-unicode console should just display BTC … or your smart browser decides that there is something wrong with letters that have zero width so it defaults to another font. Which browser are you using?)
"B⃦" alone is shown by Chromium and Firefox.

Konqueror displays ฿ and Ƀ right but I have the same problem with BTC. Interesting. For me, it's really narrowing down to either ฿ or Ƀ then.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
"B⃦" alone is shown by Chromium and Firefox.
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com

Then there is something wrong with your system. Here on my standard Windows 7 64bit with 8GB RAM it displays just fine.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there

Please, whatever the heck you use as a symbol for Bitcoin, DON'T PICK SOMETHING ALREADY IN USE FOR A CURRENCY. Such an ambiguous symbol is a horrible choice! Please come to your senses and STOP USING IT.

There's no value in a consensus that's reached with brains off. Use the @ for all I care, BTC is fine, so are Unicode hacks, just not something that's asking for trouble!

I'm going to put this in my sig for a bit, just to make a point.

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)
Great! Let's adopt $ as the Bitcoin symbol, so we'll fit right in.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Guys, just use a thai butt

the us dollar is sometimes drawn with two vertical lines, i heard it's from the early days of a u being superimposed on to the S for US

we use a B with two slashes but the most commonly working computer symbol only has one, just like a dollar, yet more proof bitcoins are a real currency
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
How about Bitcoin, the currency of unconditional love: ❤256

used by villages.cc (a simple ripple implementation) already  Kiss
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com

฿ <- that right there

Please, whatever the heck you use as a symbol for Bitcoin, DON'T PICK SOMETHING ALREADY IN USE FOR A CURRENCY. Such an ambiguous symbol is a horrible choice! Please come to your senses and STOP USING IT.

There's no value in a consensus that's reached with brains off. Use the @ for all I care, BTC is fine, so are Unicode hacks, just not something that's asking for trouble!

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423

You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?
Windows XP Pro
We use Ƀ
Great, another box. Seriously wtf is wrong with my system?
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?

Doesn't work for me. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with Firefox, fresh install as of today, and most of these fonts are a b-box, except for ฿ and Ƀ.
Baht and box. Huh

฿ <- that right there

$ works fine :/
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

฿ <- that right there

legendary
[...]
Websites and websites, I want bitcoin symbol in my text files, dammit!
Ok, so use a working text editor/viewer... Unicode's only been around for well over a decade now.
What you propose is an interesting hack, not a reliable solution.
It isn't a hack, it's standard. Though, admittedly, it's a standard widely unsupported (like HTML5).
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
[...]
Websites and websites, I want bitcoin symbol in my text files, dammit!
Ok, so use a working text editor/viewer... Unicode's only been around for well over a decade now.

Picture is worth a thousand words (should be mentioned, no problems with for ฿ and Ƀ):

What you propose is an interesting hack, not a reliable solution. It creates more problems than is trying to fix. If it works on your machine, it's an exception, not the rule. But maybe there is an opportunity for you among The Bitcoin Corp gang, in hardware division, selling certified bitcoin machines capable of displaying the symbol properly.

Also,

I am now on a completely different computer than yesterday. Your B-Box now shows up as a B with two feet.
I have also had a look at your B-Box via Chrome on a GNex with Jelly Bean. Your B-Box there shows up as a B. Just a B.

Doesn't work for me. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with Firefox, fresh install as of today, and most of these fonts are a b-box, except for ฿ and Ƀ.
legendary

Yes, I'm sure. I copied this:

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

This is only an issue when the only thing copied is the price tag, as the TC is copied properly if the selection encompasses what's after it too.

Just tried it again to be sure, taking care to only copy the tag and not any whitespaces before or after.

Pasted into an ANSI document.

Autoresolves to BTC without a hitch.
I guess it is a problem on my end then. Different computers/environments have different methods of handling these zero-width characters.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

This is only an issue when the only thing copied is the price tag, as the TC is copied properly if the selection encompasses what's after it too.

Just tried it again to be sure, taking care to only copy the tag and not any whitespaces before or after.

Pasted into an ANSI document.

Autoresolves to BTC without a hitch.
legendary

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

Pages:
Jump to: