Pages:
Author

Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right? - page 7. (Read 30401 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Seems to work fine. I just copied a BTC from my broswer into an ANSI encoded text document and it autoresolved to "BTC".
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.

Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.

Actually, BTC is the characters "BTC" with the B made to look like BTC and the "TC" invisible (using webfonts). So you can copy/paste it without losing meaning, even if Unicode isn't fully-supported.
This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC. Use ligatures instead to achieve the desired effect.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
[...]

Websites and websites, I want bitcoin symbol in my text files, dammit!
Ok, so use a working text editor/viewer... Unicode's only been around for well over a decade now.
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
[...]

Websites and websites, I want bitcoin symbol in my text files, dammit!
legendary
Technically speaking, BitcoinTalk is using a "webfont" for this, not a regular image.

You're asking to install custom font, just to have currency symbol properly displayed in a spreadsheet or email. How many people are going to do that? Think about it. The web is easier as this only has to be done once per site, but that's one extra uneccesary step. We should make life easier, not harder.
No. Webfonts are automatically downloaded and used by your browser.

Point is, it doesn't work for majority of users here with modern computers and modern, very popular, operating systems who also happen to have technical skills way above the average. If it doesn't work for us, it won't work for general population, period.
And that's why most Bitcoin websites are still using images for the BTC symbol...
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032

Actually, BTC is the characters "BTC" with the B made to look like BTC and the "TC" invisible (using webfonts). So you can copy/paste it without losing meaning, even if Unicode isn't fully-supported.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?

Doesn't work for me. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with Firefox, fresh install as of today, and most of these fonts are a b-box, except for ฿ and Ƀ.
Technically speaking, BitcoinTalk is using a "webfont" for this, not a regular image.

You're asking to install custom font, just to have currency symbol properly displayed in a spreadsheet or email. How many people are going to do that? Think about it. The web is easier as this only has to be done once per site, but that's one extra uneccesary step. We should make life easier, not harder.

and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram.
Obviously not very Unicode-friendly, if it can't display Unicode.

Point is, it doesn't work for majority of users here with modern computers and modern, very popular, operating systems who also happen to have technical skills way above the average. If it doesn't work for us, it won't work for general population, period.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

I am now on a completely different computer than yesterday. Your B-Box now shows up as a B with two feet.

I have also had a look at your B-Box via Chrome on a GNex with Jelly Bean. Your B-Box there shows up as a B. Just a B.
donator
Activity: 640
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.

Ok, so now I know why it looks shitty on my and many other systems. The vertical strokes are in different places depending on the program I use. In my chromium browser they are too far right and in gedit they are in addition to far right too short.
Knowing it is actually a double-symbol makes me all the more favor any of the single-symbols that at least should look consistent on all systems that manage to display something:
฿ or Ƀ.

The $ symbol being used for many many currencies should be reason enough to not have a problem recycling the Baht symbol for Bitcoin. Here in Chile they also use $ for Chilean Pesos.
legendary
BTC853 - stands out only because it looks bolded, so sucks anyway (being an image earns three bonus sucks)

B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!)
B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram.
Obviously not very Unicode-friendly, if it can't display Unicode.
All of them suck IMHO because they resemble digit 8 too closely. When put next to amount, it takes a little bit of brain power to separate symbol from value:

฿485 - striked 8, still reads as 8, too busy in general
Ƀ249 - bit better as Ƀ is slightly taller than other chars
BTC853 - stands out only because it looks bolded, so sucks anyway (being an image earns three bonus sucks)

B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!) and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram. /s

How about Bitcoin, the currency of unconditional love: ❤256
legendary
Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

You seem a little nutty to me...

[A little nutty] * [all the people who think he's a little nutty] = [a shitload of nutty]

If that's how it works, then I think I have a shitload of humanness.

You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

You seem a little nutty to me...

[A little nutty] * [all the people who think he's a little nutty] = [a shitload of nutty]
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
legendary
The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.
legendary
Luke-Jr keeps changing it to some weird Russian symbol nobody uses on Wikipedia. It probably shows up as the Baht for him or something.
Um, no, I changed it to the symbol every major Bitcoin website uses - including bitcoin.org, bitcoincharts, and these forums - at least in their favicon: B⃦
This is the standard Unicode symbol used for the B with double vertical strokes.

The forum has BTC using some CSS (embedded fonts) to workaround the fact that major fonts don't render it as nice, but it is the same symbol.

Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there
You must be confusing Bitcoin with Silk Road.

Two unicode symbols that look like one: B⃦.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Luke-Jr keeps changing it to some weird Russian symbol nobody uses on Wikipedia. It probably shows up as the Baht for him or something.
Um, no, I changed it to the symbol every major Bitcoin website uses - including bitcoin.org, bitcoincharts, and these forums - at least in their favicon: B⃦
This is the standard Unicode symbol used for the B with double vertical strokes.

The forum has BTC using some CSS (embedded fonts) to workaround the fact that major fonts don't render it as nice, but it is the same symbol.

Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there
You must be confusing Bitcoin with Silk Road.

Pages:
Jump to: