Pages:
Author

Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right? - page 8. (Read 30401 times)

donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
I kinda like Ƀ

Is this part of standard fonts?

If it is, I like it and let use it!
Yes - which is why we need to use it. There was an effort to design a bitcoin logo around it a few months back...something like a BTC50 bounty (of which I pledged BTC10). There was even a pretty good design, but, nothing really got a foothold.
Activity: 784
Merit: 101
Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

You seem a little nutty to me...

legal activities vary greatly from one place to the next and bitcoin is not limited to any single legal jurisdiction.
morality is maybe you what you really mean, and bitcoin is morally neutral.

I like nuts though. I always buy the chunky brand peanut butter and my parrot loves all kinds of nuts.

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
The Baht is not an appropriate symbol for Bitcoin. Each symbol represents a specific currency, and Bitcoin is not a baht.

¤ = currency (B¤: good bitcoin symbol)
$ = peso
€ = euro
£ = pound sterling
¥ = yuan
دينار = dinar
฿ = baht (bad bitcoin symbol)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Manateeeeeeees
This is what I see:

Mine doesn't look that bad, but it's close.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Not a fan of ฿.

More a fan of Ƀ.

Me too. I'd like to see that one used more often.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
There hasn't been much disagreement that Ƀ, the "Latin capital letter B with stroke" (Alt+0243) is a pretty decent symbol to use going forward.

I don't like it. It's too plain.

My browser displays Luke's symbol alright, and it looks better than ฿ or Ƀ, but I just tried to paste it into the posting text box and it wasn't handled very well.

Why not just use "BTC" in text and BTC in images? A symbol in text isn't really required.
I agree.  Using "BTC" works just fine for the time being.  The market will eventually decide on a universally agreed symbol.  I don't see that there is a need to settle on any particular one at this time.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
Why not just use "BTC" in text and BTC in images? A symbol in text isn't really required.

It's not the first time we are discussing this and although "no authority in bitcoin" Atlas vs. "we always used ❏" Luke might most likely not be resolved ever, I'd love to see some definite preference of the bitcointalk.org users so at least we can silence this repetitive discussion here.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
There hasn't been much disagreement that Ƀ, the "Latin capital letter B with stroke" (Alt+0243) is a pretty decent symbol to use going forward.

I don't like it. It's too plain.

My browser displays Luke's symbol alright, and it looks better than ฿ or Ƀ, but I just tried to paste it into the posting text box and it wasn't handled very well.

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
Luke is still pushing his own idea of a symbol on wikipedia. It's getting silly.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Honestly, everyone should just continue using BTC until a Bitcoin symbol is standardized and viewable on 95% of computers without modifying the default fonts or encodings.
Everyone is already using B⃦ via images Smiley
Oh, B-box. Charming.

Cute, isn't it? I'm gonna go ahead and name this character "Jalapeno"
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Honestly, everyone should just continue using BTC until a Bitcoin symbol is standardized and viewable on 95% of computers without modifying the default fonts or encodings.
Oh, B-box. Charming.
Maybe to you and your browser configuration but nobody else sees it.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
legendary
Many currencies used already existing symbols. We don't need anybody's permission to adopt the Thai Baht.
Except that it'll be confusing for anyone trying to use Bitcoin in Thailand, and/or with Thai people.
The exchange rats are vastly different. Additionally, the US Dollar stole the $ sign from other countries. It's just how it works. Things will sort out.

The Silk Road and other major retailers are using this sign. It can't be escaped.
Those exchange rats are very different indeed.  For one thing, Japanese rats vs Thai rats.  Although I suppose exchange rats generally exist for each currency worldwide.

Regardless, you may be right.  I don't think there's much hope in attempting to standardize a particular symbol - the market will use what it will, and even though it might not be the best option, it will eventually become the standard.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Luke-Jr, if you go to Tools/Encoding in your Chrome browser while in Wikipedia, you should have the UTF-8 option checked. Is that so?
I'm not the one having problems...

This guy is a nut. Plain and simple. Awhile back he added a Tonal number section to the Bitcoin article.

Oh, I wondered where I knew the name from.
Many currencies used already existing symbols. We don't need anybody's permission to adopt the Thai Baht.
Except that it'll be confusing for anyone trying to use Bitcoin in Thailand, and/or with Thai people.
The exchange rats are vastly different. Additionally, the US Dollar stole the $ sign from other countries. It's just how it works. Things will sort out.

The Silk Road and other major retailers are using this sign. It can't be escaped.
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
This guy is a nut. Plain and simple.
Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...
Pages:
Jump to: