Pages:
Author

Topic: [Tutorial] BlueWallet - Bitcoin Wallet Discussion - page 4. (Read 2940 times)

Activity: 1470
Merit: 755
Multisig Vault is one of the features contained in Blue Wallet apart from several other additions such as;

Coin Control
I want to ask when will the new generation of Taproot (P2TR) accounts be supported?
Despite the complexity of the coding, I can't give a definitive answer. However, as a user of the Android version of BlueWallet, I cannot answer when BlueWallet will support Taproot like several other software wallets that already support Taproot.

BlueWallet has just released version 6.4.1 (v6.4.1 - Payment codes) as posted by cygan below and it won't be long before BlueWallet will also be deprecating their Lightning node on April 30th.

This is a wallet that supports Taproot,

a few hours ago BlueWallet released the 6.4.1 version. this is now available for android, iOS & macOS and can be downloaded at the following link:

Highlights

• Fix price rates and ability to search for currencies (by @marcosrdz)
  • Startup performance improvements (by @Overtorment)
  • Accessibility improvements (by @GBKS)
  • Fix Payjoin implementation (by @DanGould)
  • GUI styling improvements (by @jorgemasta)
  • Bip47 payment codes receive support (by @abhiShandy)
https://github.com/BlueWallet/BlueWallet/releases/tag/v6.4.1
I have updated to version 6.4.1. Thank you Cygan.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 879
#SWGT CERTIK Audited

And I need such an option as Taproot, like many other users, as I think.
May I ask for which type of payment you need taproot support ? Btw, bluewallet supports send to taproot address feature already, but we just can't receive from yet. I do believe that taproot will soon become obsolete anyways since there's not much demand and need for it.
For me, using Taproot is just an experiment.  I want to find out myself by making simultaneous parallel transactions segwit-->segvit and taproot-->Taproot, and their combinations in order to find out if the network commission is really reduced or is it just assurances, a promise of the Taproot developers.  Devs Taproot claims that the commissions will be "a little less".  

This is the first time I'm hearing from you that Taproot... will soon be "obsolete" because no one needs it.  I am a little surprised by your forecast, but I don’t know if this new protocol is so unnecessary for anyone?  After all, 90% and even more miners voted for him.  And it also has advantages for users, as I understand it.  By the way, Segwit was also introduced for quite a long time, but now almost everyone has it.  
Maybe time will tell if Taproot was needed in mass use.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
a few hours ago BlueWallet released the 6.4.1 version. this is now available for android, iOS & macOS and can be downloaded at the following link:

Highlights

• Fix price rates and ability to search for currencies (by @marcosrdz)
  • Startup performance improvements (by @Overtorment)
  • Accessibility improvements (by @GBKS)
  • Fix Payjoin implementation (by @DanGould)
  • GUI styling improvements (by @jorgemasta)
  • Bip47 payment codes receive support (by @abhiShandy)
https://github.com/BlueWallet/BlueWallet/releases/tag/v6.4.1
Activity: 1050
Merit: 681
I want to ask when will the new generation of Taproot (P2TR) accounts be supported? 
Implementing taproot requires complex coding hence you won't find many wallets (and even exchanges) supporting this upgrade. Instead, ppl went for native segwit (bech32) which is easier and offers more better scalibility and cheaper fee.

May I ask for which type of payment you need taproot support ? Btw, bluewallet supports send to taproot address feature already, but we just can't receive from yet. I do believe that taproot will soon become obsolete anyways since there's not much demand and need for it.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 879
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
I really liked Blue wallet and its interface on Android, when different types of account cards have different colors.  For example, my Legacy account is red, Segwit is blue, and so on.  I don't really need LN, so I don't have any questions about it.  In general, the wallet is comfortable and I am satisfied.  

But I have a question for the wallet developers.  
I want to ask when will the new generation of Taproot (P2TR) accounts be supported?  If any of the devs of this wallet read our forum and this thread, please reply.  I will be very grateful to you.
Activity: 406
Merit: 896
So far I have never used Wallet Sparrow, but after you discussed this, I think I need to try to learn Wallet Sparrow as well as do a trial run.

Sparrow is a very good wallet. I am still learning its features.

There are many conveniences that we can get from Blue Wallet, but what you need to know is that Blue Wallet will immediately close its LN node service until the end of this month.
If their LN node service shuts down, Blue Wallet will look like any other open source Bitcoin wallet. Despite that, I personally am very comfortable with Blue Wallet on android.
Oh yeah. Don't forget to replace a newer laptop when you have enough money to buy it so it's easier to work Smiley

I am also using bluewallet on android. I use it to "monitor" my wallets and to send transactions using my airgapped signing device.

Perhaps I can buy a webcam. For the time being, as long as I can do all my transactions using BlueWallet, I am ok!
Hello! does anybody know if BlueWallet offers timelocked transactions?
To my knowledge while using Blue Wallet, they do not offer timelocked transactions as Charles-Tim has answered and I am glad that you are satisfied with the answers given.

I have used timelocked transactions yesterday using Sparrow. Actually it was only yesterday when I learned about them and I needed to try it out.
So far I have never used Wallet Sparrow, but after you discussed this, I think I need to try to learn Wallet Sparrow as well as do a trial run.

I was interested in BlueWallet since I use cold storage and my signing device really struggles with scanning the QR code from Sparrow and vice-versa. My laptop's camera is not so good.
There are many conveniences that we can get from Blue Wallet, but what you need to know is that Blue Wallet will immediately close its LN node service until the end of this month.
If their LN node service shuts down, Blue Wallet will look like any other open source Bitcoin wallet. Despite that, I personally am very comfortable with Blue Wallet on android.
Oh yeah. Don't forget to replace a newer laptop when you have enough money to buy it so it's easier to work Smiley
I am not certain about this, but I do not think so. If you want use timekock, I have seen it on Electrum while making transaction, but only on desktop Electrum.

Or use https://coinb.in/#newTimeLocked.

Thank you! I have used timelocked transactions yesterday using Sparrow. Actually it was only yesterday when I learned about them and I needed to try it out.

I was interested in BlueWallet since I use cold storage and my signing device really struggles with scanning the QR code from Sparrow and vice-versa. My laptop's camera is not so good.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
I am not certain about this, but I do not think so. If you want use timekock, I have seen it on Electrum while making transaction, but only on desktop Electrum.

Or use https://coinb.in/#newTimeLocked.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
I am pretty sure that BlueWallet is ONLY discontinuing that they hold custody of lightning network coins, so they are ONLY getting out of the "custodial" business, and they are likely going to be continuing to allow for various ways that people are going to be able to connect BlueWallet's lightning wallet portion to the nodes of other people (just not going to be able to connect to their nodes after April 30)
That's exactly right. After April, they are not going to host a node for their users anymore. But you can still use the lightning hub Lndhub in a self-custodial capacity and use Blue Wallet to connect to your own node. The change doesn't affect that.

Lndhub as a software and FOSS self hosted solution will keep existing and being supported for anyone interested in running it. You will always be able to connect to your own LndHub from BlueWallet or other software that supports LndHub API specification.
This may sound like bad news, but this essentially means BlueWallet going forward will only support self-custody solutions. This is good for bitcoin and BlueWallet users.
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
But I still was trying to mostly aspire to as much self-custody as I could, and from my understanding, Wallet of Satoshi does not meet the self-custody standard.  It is almost like having a cash app wallet as your lightning wallet.. an easy peasy route but surely not in the self-custody direction.
Previously I preferred to use BlueWallet as a Bitcoin Lightning wallet. I am an iOS and macOS user, and BlueWallet is available for both OS platforms (as far as I know, Blue Wallet is not available for the Windows OS version). So I can access the wallet via my smartphone and desktop wallet.

I have tried installing several applications as a substitute for BlueWallet to store Bitcoin Lightning, including Phoenix and Wallet of Satoshi.

I skimmed and haven't read further some of the lightning wallet comparisons from the link you provided below: https://darthcoin.substack.com/p/lightning-wallets-comparison. Thank's.

Yes.. I am using IOS too.. so that is the reason that I was considering Breez, Phoenix and Blixt as the three lightning network wallets that were the closest to being self-custody.. and for sure, none of them are exactly perfect, but I still want to at least attempt to support the systems that are aspiring towards self-custody rather than having another system that is completely wall-gardened..

It seems that in Bitcoin, we need to be more conscientious regarding what we are doing as compared with other kinds of programs that we may have run in the past.. and sure of course, Apple products are already pretty damned walled gardened, so we cannot completely cover all of our tracks in terms of having potential vulnerabilities... especially those of us who cannot read or write software code or even to attempt to customize our experience through running our own lightning node. 

As far as I understand, even if Wallet of Satoshi is easy to use and has a lot of good interfaces, it seems to not even be trying to have various self-custody features.. and Anita Posch talked about those same kinds of ideas.. and I agree with her.. and the same is true with the interview with the Blixt developer that I had included earlier.. Guys like that seem to be really working on ways to make systems that try to empower bitcoin/lightning users.. even though surely there are complications, too.. in terms of how much we might need to learn in order to safeguard our transactions.

In the end, you need to do what is comfortable for you, including figuring out how much time that you want to spend learning about these kinds of matters.. and surely, I am not claiming to really know a lot - yet I am also thinking that if some of the transactions and the wallets go bad, at least I am not planning on keeping very large amounts in those various lightning network wallets.. but at the same time, I can also have some on-chain wallets that I can use to refill the lightning network wallets from time to time, if I need to... so it remains an ongoing learning process from my point-of-view.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
But I still was trying to mostly aspire to as much self-custody as I could, and from my understanding, Wallet of Satoshi does not meet the self-custody standard.  It is almost like having a cash app wallet as your lightning wallet.. an easy peasy route but surely not in the self-custody direction.
Previously I preferred to use BlueWallet as a Bitcoin Lightning wallet. I am an iOS and macOS user, and BlueWallet is available for both OS platforms (as far as I know, Blue Wallet is not available for the Windows OS version). So I can access the wallet via my smartphone and desktop wallet.

I have tried installing several applications as a substitute for BlueWallet to store Bitcoin Lightning, including Phoenix and Wallet of Satoshi.

I skimmed and haven't read further some of the lightning wallet comparisons from the link you provided below: https://darthcoin.substack.com/p/lightning-wallets-comparison. Thank's.

legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
In light of the official message from bluewallet.io published on Feb 23, 2023 regarding the termination of the Lightning node, Lndhub.io, with a deadline of April 30, I hereby remind anyone who has not transferred assets from the blue wallet to move them. while there is still time.
I visited the https://bluewallet.io/ site, the Lightning Network feature is still there. Even so, I think I need to say this.
BlueWallet still has the option to connect LND nodes other than the BlueWallet's LND Hub.

But I don't know if, in the next update, this feature will be removed or if it will still be there. But to be safe, I moved Bitcoin Lightning assets from Blue Wallet to the Wallet of Satoshi a few months ago after reading the information here: https://bluewallet.io/sunsetting-lndhub/.

I have been using a hardware wallet for several years to store Bitcoin assets. Meanwhile, Blue Wallet is only used to store Bitcoin Lightning.

I am pretty sure that BlueWallet is ONLY discontinuing that they hold custody of lightning network coins, so they are ONLY getting out of the "custodial" business, and they are likely going to be continuing to allow for various ways that people are going to be able to connect BlueWallet's lightning wallet portion to the nodes of other people (just not going to be able to connect to their nodes after April 30).. so surely time is running out to move those lightning network coins off of the BlueWallet node into some other wallet - whether a temporary solution or if you might find some wallet that is more of a longer term solution that is comfortable for you.. Sure in the end, in the coming years, many of us are probably going to end up learning about various kinds of lightning network wallets and even to experiment with various kinds of lightning network wallets.. Some aspects of the lightning network wallets and even aspects of the lightning network transactions do seem to be getting easier.. or at least more popular.. and in more recent times, people don't seem to be losing their BTC as frequently through the lightning network...not that it was ever really a BIG issue, but probably no one likes to lose too many sats, even if there might be some expectation of greater risk for the sake of experimentation.

Maybe I should give an update too (at least in regards to my having had figured out where I was going to move my BlueWallet lightning network coins, and surely I did not want to use my emergency back up of either moving them to CashApp or maybe moving them back to on chain wallets, so surely my goal was to attempt to keep them in some kind of a lightning network wallet, and surely I do not claim to be any kind of technological expert, and plus I have some other things going on too, so I cannot spend a lot of time to figure out how to run a lightning network node..

But I still was trying to mostly aspire to as much self-custody as I could, and from my understanding, Wallet of Satoshi does not meet the self-custody standard.  It is almost like having a cash app wallet as your lightning wallet.. an easy peasy route but surely not in the self-custody direction.

So yeah, I had posted in the lightning network observer thread in which I was trying to compare various options and surely having some of my own limitations because I am using IOS, and so mostly considering between Breez, Phoeniz and Blixt..and so I have already downloaded and transferred some value onto Breez and Phoenix, and looking further and even downloading Blixt will likely have to come at a future date since the main developer has not actually gotten it out of Apple's Test Flight system, but he still seemed to have had been recommending that the IOS users could still feel comfortable to try it out in the Test Flight system.. so I was considering doing that at some point later down the road.  The Blixt developer (Hampua Sjöberg)  talked about various aspects of the Blixt wallet on the Bitcoin Takeover Podcast a little over a week ago.

As I wrote in my mid-March post in the lightning network observer thread, I did appreciate Anita Posch's review of the various lightning network wallets from her article that I listed in that post, and also her emphasis on the importance of getting used to self-custodial wallets rather than the easier kinds of wallets that might not be sufficiently self-custodial, from her point of view (and my agreement with that).  

Besides going to the various websites of Breez, Phoenix and Blixt (and not even claiming that I understood everything, I did also rely a bit on the comparative lighting wallets chart that was presented in DarthCoin's bitcoin Guides.

There may be some point that I am going to be able to figure out how to run some kind of a lightning node or at least something that might allow for more flexibility and control, and I did just download Bitcoin Core version v24.01 - and also Specter Desktop Version 2.0.1.. so those still seem a bit confusing for me .. but likely steps in the right direction to run regular bitcoin nodes (probably going to run it on at least two computers) seems to be stepping stones to running lightning nodes, even though I understand and appreciate that there are some lightning nodes that can come in a package and already be set up, but I think that I want to go to a computer version first. ..and work from that direction. .. even though sure, I might change my mind down the road..
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
In light of the official message from bluewallet.io published on Feb 23, 2023 regarding the termination of the Lightning node, Lndhub.io, with a deadline of April 30, I hereby remind anyone who has not transferred assets from the blue wallet to move them. while there is still time.

I visited the https://bluewallet.io/ site, the Lightning Network feature is still there. Even so, I think I need to say this.
BlueWallet still has the option to connect LND nodes other than the BlueWallet's LND Hub.

But I don't know if, in the next update, this feature will be removed or if it will still be there. But to be safe, I moved Bitcoin Lightning assets from Blue Wallet to the Wallet of Satoshi a few months ago after reading the information here: https://bluewallet.io/sunsetting-lndhub/.

I have been using a hardware wallet for several years to store Bitcoin assets. Meanwhile, Blue Wallet is only used to store Bitcoin Lightning.

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
That's what I liked Phoenix Wallet for: once it's in your wallet, it's not custodial.
Can you go into some more details about that? How does it change from being custodial to non-custodial?
I'm not sure how it works on a technical level. From what I've seen, they open a channel for you (this part is custodial), and that channel is larger than the amount you send, so it instantly has receiving capacity too. The channel is with their own node, so they can open the channel even before their funding transaction gets confirmed. That's very convenient as a user.

Do you mean that when the LN coins have been routed, Phoenix no longer has custody of them?
As far as I know: yes. But I've never tried if I can force-close a channel without them.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
If the Lightning node, Lndhub.io has been terminated, there is an impression that the Blue Wallet app is the same as other wallets and the Blue Wallet itself does not think if users who have been using Blue Wallet will switch to other wallets?
Bluewallet is not only for lightning network alone, it is also an onchain bitcoin wallet. Bluewallet developers will know that some people may be using the wallet for lightning network payment and if only using it for that purpose (but which I do not think it is possible because it is an onchain wallet too), such people may not use Bluewallet again. But Bluewallet is still one of the best bitcoin mobile wallet, that makes lightning network not necessary because people will continue to use the wallet as it is already a known wallet already.

People that run a lightning node may not see it profitable or can be of little and no significant profit. I see no reason why Bluewallet no longer want to support it than being of no or little profit.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
That's what I liked Phoenix Wallet for: once it's in your wallet, it's not custodial.
Can you go into some more details about that? How does it change from being custodial to non-custodial? Do you mean that when the LN coins have been routed, Phoenix no longer has custody of them?

If the Lightning node, Lndhub.io has been terminated, there is an impression that the Blue Wallet app is the same as other wallets and the Blue Wallet itself does not think if users who have been using Blue Wallet will switch to other wallets?
It's not yet terminated. Existing users still have time until the end of April to use it. Blue Wallet doesn't accept new users though. People might still migrate to other custodial LN services simply because they are easier to use, and if you aren't dealing with a lot of coins, the risks are minimal.
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org